ConIFA World Cup 2018

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: ConIFA World Cup 2018

by tmesis » 05 Jun 2018 23:24

Green Want to get behind the Chagos lads but hang on, don't they want independence from us?

Not sure that's really cricket.

We bought the islands, let the Americans have them as an airbase, forcefully evicted the people from the islands, and now won't let them go back.

It's not the proudest episode in British history.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Jun 2018 09:33

Oh yes those guys.

Yeh fair fooks.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Jun 2018 09:34

Green Want to get behind the Chagos lads but hang on, don't they want independence from us?

Not sure that's really cricket.

We* fucked them quite hard in the 1960s. One of my mates was stationed on Diego Garcia for a bit.

I think they actually just want to go home.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jun 2018 18:06

The glorious cable from the head of the British Diplomatic Services stating that "Unfortunately, along with some birds come some few Tarzans and Man Fridays".

How's that for diplomacy?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Jun 2018 19:33

stealthpapes just in addition, Chagos Islands have stepped in to fulfil the Manx teams fixtures. One's against Matabeleland, the other will be sorted after Thursdays fixtures.

Matabeleland to start Bruce Grobelaar tomorrow. Lovely.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 07 Jun 2018 19:09

Murky goings on with Isle of Mann team, as they've now been expelled from ConIFA.

http://www.conifa.org/en/2018/06/06/con ... in-7-june/

https://twitter.com/MANXIFA

IoM complaining that ConIFA broke their won rules in allowing Barawa to add a player to their squad well after the deadline.

ConIFA isn't they were quite within their rights to allow Barawa to bring in a new player as they changed their rules.

IoM complaining that if they changed their rules, why didn't they tell anyone?

ConIFA saying they don't have to tell teams about rule changes, and are further annoyed by insinuations of corruption from IoM, not to mention unilaterally pulling out of the tournament in protest.

In the football, Padania blow a 2-1 lead to lose 2-3 to Northern Cyprus in the first semi-final.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jun 2018 08:05

Karpatalya have got this in the bag!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Jun 2018 08:59

tmesis Murky goings on with Isle of Mann team, as they've now been expelled from ConIFA.

http://www.conifa.org/en/2018/06/06/con ... in-7-june/

https://twitter.com/MANXIFA

IoM complaining that ConIFA broke their won rules in allowing Barawa to add a player to their squad well after the deadline.

ConIFA isn't they were quite within their rights to allow Barawa to bring in a new player as they changed their rules.

IoM complaining that if they changed their rules, why didn't they tell anyone?

ConIFA saying they don't have to tell teams about rule changes, and are further annoyed by insinuations of corruption from IoM, not to mention unilaterally pulling out of the tournament in protest.

I was actually stood next to the organiser when that kicked off over the phone. Basically, two Barawa players got recalled, iirc, to QPR youth team, so they went and found someone else. It probably didn't help that he was a former international U-20 player.

I genuinely think CONIFA made a spot decision ("yeah, sure, that sounds fair") and didn't expect it to kick off the way it has.

That said, they've also been dodging toys ever since. The provisional ban is, in part, for MANXIFA's drunken tweeting.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Jun 2018 10:46

tmesis Isle of Mann team

Sorry to be a pedant but I've seen you spell it this way several times now - what's with the double "n"? Is that how is was spelt in days of yore or something and the independents want to go back to it?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Jun 2018 10:48

I went there once. Sleepy little place, rhythm and pulse like the Isle of Wight. But great scenery, more varied than you would expect for an island of its size.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Jun 2018 20:33

Green
tmesis Isle of Mann team

Sorry to be a pedant but I've seen you spell it this way several times now - what's with the double "n"? Is that how is was spelt in days of yore or something and the independents want to go back to it?

I've no idea. Just some sort of weird brain fade on my part. I noticed it yesterday and realised it was wrong. I think this is how dementia starts.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 10 Jun 2018 15:26

Over 2500 go to Enfield Town to see Karpatalya beat pre-match favourites Northern Cyprus on penalties after nervy (ok, a bit crap) 90 minutes.

Apparently the final was meant to be at Crystal Palace (athletics) but they couldn't secure the venue.

As great as the tournament has been, the trophy presentations were a bit of a shambles. Someone decided that every single team (IoM excepted) would receive a trophy, and go up on the balcony for a presentation. A fine idea, but with each team milking the applause for a few minutes, the whole thing lasted ages, about three quarters of an hour in all. By the time Karpatalya actually got up there to lift the overall trophy, most of the crowd had gone home. Despite several on-air corrections, the ConIFA live stream commentator couldn't get over his fixation was calling Karpatalya "kar-patter-liar"

Biggest cheer of all the teams seemed to be for Tibet. They might have lost every game (yet finished 12th!) but they seemed to win the support of the neutrals.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Jun 2018 08:53

tmesis
Green
tmesis Isle of Mann team

I've no idea. Just some sort of weird brain fade on my part. I noticed it yesterday and realised it was wrong. I think this is how dementia starts.

Isle of Man or Mann are both acceptable.

Really glad to see a couple of others get involved with this. That first weekend was pretty much up there as favorite football experiences.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jun 2018 09:01

stealthpapes
tmesis
Green Sorry to be a pedant but I've seen you spell it this way several times now - what's with the double "n"? Is that how is was spelt in days of yore or something and the independents want to go back to it?

Isle of Man or Mann are both acceptable.

Really glad to see a couple of others get involved with this. That first weekend was pretty much up there as favorite football experiences.

Agreed. It was nice to see some football where nothing was taken for granted like it often is in the professional game. The players played with pride to represent their nation and the supporters were loud and boistrous but well behaved.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 27 Sep 2018 18:22

EUROS next year in Artsakh (was Nagorno-Kharabakh).

Now, while it was all good and dandy in London, I can't help but have some reservations about heading to the caucusus for it.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Sep 2018 18:29

stealthpapes EUROS next year in Artsakh (was Nagorno-Kharabakh).

Now, while it was all good and dandy in London, I can't help but have some reservations about heading to the caucusus for it.

Bit of a weird one seeing as their airport has been closed for 18 years.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Sep 2018 09:23

What's the worst that can happen, well, apart from the outbreak of civil war?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Sep 2018 09:50

lol. Yeh a few tasty fixtures there I imagine.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Sep 2018 11:04

Kulshaw72RFC

Bit of a weird one seeing as their airport has been closed for 18 years.

"yeah, fly to Yerevan and catch the bus"

cheers, mate, appreciate the tip.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Sep 2018 11:35

closer to home