Finger wagging at referees

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Finger wagging at referees

by Cripple Creek » 06 Apr 2022 10:43

Am I in a minority of one or does anyone else find it maddening when elite players wag their fingers at referees to dispute a decision? Dunno what it is about it but it displays a kind of condescension and arrogance which makes my blood boil.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Finger wagging at referees

by Royal Rother » 06 Apr 2022 10:48

Agreed.

It should be added to sarcastic clapping of a ref as a bookable offence. Same level of disrespect.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Apr 2022 10:48

Not bothered by that particuarly. What I have seen more of though are players touching or grabbing at referees when they go to produce a card or walk towards an incident. Should be an instant red card for obstructing a referee or at the very least retrospective action.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 07 Apr 2022 11:46

Where do these gestures rank against the hands together/praying/pleading motion in the immediate aftermath of a disputed decision? Used to be seen as a continental thing in the 80's & 90's - but pretty universal now. It's embarrassing. I might start doing it in real life - e.g. when my boss says something in a zoom call that i strongly disagree with.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2022 19:18

Better that than the park-pitch broken jaw most weekends in the UK

I understand professional players (sometimes, correct) frustrations…but a waggled finger?

Love it….if I were a professional referee, I’d call the player over, go to the card pocket, pull out the cards and put a fingermouse puppet on the offending digit, just for the finger shaming and lols

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 16 Apr 2022 21:45

Why would you have to pull out the cards and the finger puppet? Surely this gag relies entirely on the finger puppet and the ref could leave the cards in his/her pocket and still get a response of equal hilarity.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Apr 2022 06:23

Cripple Creek Why would you have to pull out the cards and the finger puppet? Surely this gag relies entirely on the finger puppet and the ref could leave the cards in his/her pocket and still get a response of equal hilarity.

How about a Sooty finger puppet with a yellow t-shirt to allow multi-tasking

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Apr 2022 08:21

AthleticoSpizz Better that than the park-pitch broken jaw most weekends in the UK

I understand professional players (sometimes, correct) frustrations…but a waggled finger?

Love it….if I were a professional referee, I’d call the player over, go to the card pocket, pull out the cards and put a fingermouse puppet on the offending digit, just for the finger shaming and lols

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 17 Apr 2022 09:33

I can see a potential VAR saga coming on as decisions have to be made as to whether the finger was really being wagged or if it was just (rather like Boris attending a party) inadvertent and done with no conscious intent. I guess if VAR proves it was a bona fide insult then the ref could go ahead with the puppet placement on the finger of the offending player.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Apr 2022 11:35

Where does the 90's/00's french goal celebration finger wag come into this?

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1