On the pitch

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: On the pitch

by Dirk Gently » 23 May 2022 11:24

ReadingGlasses I'm a bit torn on this one.

The recent incidents have been concerning, and I can see how the players might feel that they're at risk when a large number fans come on to the pitch. I wouldn't be surprised if clubs end up being punished more and more for this kind of thing.

On the other hand, not all pitch invasions are like this. Some are rare joyful opportunities for players and fans to celebrate together. Would the promotion celebrations in 2012 have been the same without all those fans coming on to the pitch together? Or going back further, the pitch invasion after winning the league in 1994? Both of those seem like iconic moments as a Reading fan, and it would be a shame to miss out on something like that in the future.

Interestingly (*), I was in the lower west during that 2012 pitch invasion and I still remember seeing the sea of humanity coming towards the players like just a tidal wave of people - and thinking just how scary that looked for the players. It's an image etched into my brain.

(*)Not a guarantee

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 May 2022 11:39

Pitch invasions need to stop - which is a massive shame - but its now a growing trend and each one has ended in assault or potential flare ups. Only one way to stop this.

Any "Considerable" pitch invasion when one team clearly at fault = 3 points deduction.

Any "Considerable" pitch invasion when one team clearly at fault and the match is a one off affair i.e cup match / play off scenario = game is awarded to the opposition.

Its clearly not hard.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 23 May 2022 11:41

Green
NathStPaul Green having a mare.

If you're just here for petty squabbles try AE.

He is running scared as got bullied off by me and Leon, and is too much of a wimp to come back

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 23 May 2022 11:42

Dirk Gently
Loafer Options for me are (in order):

Loafer Ban fans from games. Not just people who attack but everybody who steps foot on a pitch. Shouldn't be hard to get seat numbers. Stepping foot on a pitch should be an offence.

It is - that's the law now, it renders you liable to a 3-year FBO. But there's strength in numbers - how do you do that to 2,00 who come on the pitch simultaneously.

Loafer Ban fans and go behind closed doors.

So punish the 10,000 who stayed in their seats for the behaviour of a much smaller number? And how many need to come on the pitch to trigger it? That's simply a terrible policy.

Loafer Points removed.

See above point. And what if the invasion comes from the away end? Leads to a potential scenario of Peterborough sending a couple of hundred to the MadStad and invading the pitch a few games ago - that might have kept them up.

Loafer Netting up, and section off seats so they cannot get down.

Why not go the whole hog and have fences up to keep supporters in place?

Loafer Water cannons or weapons given to players.

I can think of some players whom carrying a water cannon around for 90 minutes wouldn't make them any less mobile...

so what if the rest of the fans get punished? and points get removed?

it is either go hard or somebody gets killed or injured

Fences up with razor wire and electricity might be a good idea

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 May 2022 11:46

You are Ken Bates AICMFP