THE BETTING THREAD

7764 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: THE BETTING THREAD

by Sanguine » 02 Sep 2016 08:15

Because you are betting on stuff you don't know anything about.
You are advised not to look for something to bet on. You are advised to bet on things on which you have some knowledge. So you bet on the greyhounds because you'd seen something on TV and were looking for something to bet on, and you bet on Wealdstone because you wanted a stake in a match you were watching.

People have only invested time in responding to you because you claimed to want to 'learn' about bankroll management - and yet (in betting 2/3 of your bankroll on United, and all of it on Iran) you take every opportunity to prove you have no interest in it whatsoever.

You have a problem. You can't not bet. That's up to you entirely of course, but don't continue to kid yourself that you want to do this 'better'. You just want to win money, and as evidenced above will try to find increasingly bizarre ways of obtaining it.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 Sep 2016 09:18

That was probably the best betting advice I have received so far.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Sep 2016 15:59

Top Flight This evening, I did something a bit stupid. Iran played Qatar in a World Cup Qualifier. I had logged into Betfair to see what the betting options were for this evening and if there was anything that took my fancy. I saw that Iran were leading 1-0 and they had played 90 + 3 minutes of stoppage time. I clicked into the game and saw that Iran had scored an injury time goal and it looked like the winner and the prices backing Iran were at 1.03 which isn't bad at that stage of the game. I hit the play button and clicked in to see if I could watch some of the game. When I got in, it looked like the game had finished. Carlos Quieroz was on the pitch, there were lots of stewards standing on the pitch, there were a lot of celebrations taking place so I naturally assumed the game was over but noticed that bets were still being matched. So I thought, this is a sure thing. The game is over, If I can match up a bet at this point I am making guaranteed profits. So I whacked £180, almost my full account on an Iran win. I came out of the game believing it was finished and I was just moments from making a little profit. I basically bet £180 at 1.01 on an Iran win. Then I noticed the clock was still ticking and the game seemed to be continuing. I thought what the heck. Then the betting got suspended and I panicked. What if Qatar had equalised.... Luckily it was Iran that had scored again and it was now 2-0. But fricking heck. I thought the game was over. I went back in and they were still playing. They ended up playing over 100 minutes. There must have been a big delay during the match. A long injury or something.

Fortunately, I won the bet so that was another £1.80. My betfair is now £182.95.

That was a big mistake I made on that game.

I am not buying this anymore and declare you are officially on a wind up!

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 02 Sep 2016 16:22

yeah. that^ was the exact moment TF tried too hard and gave the game away.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 02 Sep 2016 18:04

Bolton, England, France, Belgium, Germany, Hungary.

£5 returns £64.30

Would not usually do a 6 team accumulator but I won last week so that affords me a 'silly' bet or two.

double d

by double d » 02 Sep 2016 18:12

Staying away from international games, i never really bet on them apart from WC and Euros ..one acca this weekend so far.

Bolton, Luton, Macclesfield and Fleetwood

5 pays 59.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 Sep 2016 21:27

I don't know why I'm bothering to post this up. If some of you don't want to believe me then that's fine. But here:

I really did put my whole account on Iran in injury time. But, it was just a mistake. I thought the game was actually finished so I didn't think I was taking a risk. I thought I was jumping on to guaranteed profits. I've learned that lesson.

These are my last two bets on Bet365.

It feels like some of you are trolling me rather than the other way around *cough* Winston Smith *cough*

I am just trying to turn £100 in to £1000 on each account during the course of the football season. At some point, my luck probably will run out and it'll blow up in my face. But, don't worry, I am not going to be topping up my accounts. As soon as I lose all my cash then that's it. I'm done. For another season at least. It's just a little challenge.

Sanguine, I have a question for you. You asked me why I put £40 on United, almost my whole account on one game risking my bankroll. The thing is, when you are down to £60, you are down to your last 1 or 2 bets anyway aren't you? I don't really see what I did wrong with that? I have to recover my position some how. Isn't it better to bet on one team that is highly likely to win and risk a bit more to recover the position? How would you have bet in this siituation?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 03 Sep 2016 09:23

Top Flight Sanguine, I have a question for you. You asked me why I put £40 on United, almost my whole account on one game risking my bankroll. The thing is, when you are down to £60, you are down to your last 1 or 2 bets anyway aren't you? I don't really see what I did wrong with that? I have to recover my position some how. Isn't it better to bet on one team that is highly likely to win and risk a bit more to recover the position? How would you have bet in this siituation?

That's where bankroll management plays a part.

A lot of people bet with a total of 5% of their bankroll per bet, as opposed to 50%+

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 03 Sep 2016 09:49

Braintree, Luton, Oxford.

£2.50 returns £26.91

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Sep 2016 22:11

Two winning bets this afternoon has resulted in a £24 profit and sees my Betfair account rise to £205. Bet365 is unchanged.

I laid off Rochdale in their match at Oxford for a £12 win
I also laid Bradford City in their match at the Den for another £12 win.

My current position now stands at

Bet365: £148
Betfair: £205

Just those two bets today. I have to decide now whether to bet on the MLS tonight between Vancouver Whitecaps and NY Red Bulls.

I feel like I'm not betting enough at the moment. I'm not capitalising on so many right calls that I'm making and am missing out on more profits. I'll need those profits when I move into a period of wrong calls.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Sep 2016 17:56

Betfair is back on £181 now. Yesterday's gains wiped out by Billy Sharpe.

Half time in the England game and I don't know what bet to place. England don't have enough penetration to be trusted to go and get the win.

double d

by double d » 04 Sep 2016 18:00

Top Flight Betfair is back on £181 now. Yesterday's gains wiped out by Billy Sharpe.

Half time in the England game and I don't know what bet to place. England don't have enough penetration to be trusted to go and get the win.

Leave it. We are shite. Do an acca on other games (scotland handicap etc)

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Sep 2016 18:03

double d
Top Flight Betfair is back on £181 now. Yesterday's gains wiped out by Billy Sharpe.

What do you suggest?

double d

by double d » 04 Sep 2016 18:09

Top Flight
double d

What do you suggest?

Not betting today i don't do international games
Do what you fancy

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 04 Sep 2016 22:40

Betfair now up to £192.90.

Gained £22 by laying Czechs against N.I.
Lost a tenner backing Romania against Montenegro. (Romania had a last ditch penalty opportunity to win the game. Blazed over the bar. So close to being a great night)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Sep 2016 09:24

Got a parking ticket in the week. Swings and roundabouts.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2016 10:14

Top Flight Sanguine, I have a question for you. You asked me why I put £40 on United, almost my whole account on one game risking my bankroll. The thing is, when you are down to £60, you are down to your last 1 or 2 bets anyway aren't you? I don't really see what I did wrong with that? I have to recover my position some how. Isn't it better to bet on one team that is highly likely to win and risk a bit more to recover the position? How would you have bet in this siituation?

Are you so desperate to reach your target that you can't bet smaller increments?
Had Rashford not scored, you'd have been as good as out. Had the bet been a tenner and United hadn't won, you'd still have £50 to 'recover your position'.
As LWJ said, it's very easy to set a % limit of total available bankroll.
You bet too much in profiting £22 laying the Czech Rep. What were their odds? If they had won, you'd have lost around £40, right?

Stop dressing this up as a genuine attempt to 'get better' and listen to advice - you have ignored pretty much every bit of advice that has come your way.

Back to the £60 thing. I put £20 in Ladbrokes on the first day of the season and now have £63.40.
Two points on that - a) at the same profit rate, you'd now have £634, and b) £63.40 is not 'one or two bets', because I'm managing my bankroll. Largest bet so far has been £5.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Sep 2016 12:10

PoLOLand messed up my accy by throwing away a two goal lead against Kazakhstan.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 05 Sep 2016 12:32

I joined up with BetFair yesterday for their 7/1 on a £10 stake. I almost wee'd when we scored in the seconds.

I also agree with Sanguine. In the past I have always bet £5's, small bets, and almost always on what look like bankers with low odds. You need patience, but at my peak an initial tenner had me £140 in the account. At which point I withdrew half, and carried on (and lost the rest because I lost patience and got greedy).

I'll now play with patience again, build it up, withdraw occasionally and keep going. You still get the buzz of gambling, but you win.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 05 Sep 2016 13:44

Except when you lose, of course.

7764 posts