Michael Owen

124 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Michael Owen

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2009 19:25

Dirk Gently
Hull manager Phil Brown intends to try to sign Newcastle striker Michael Owen "within a week".

The bold bit makes that a completely worthless piece of news.

Rodgers could intend to try to sign Kaka within a week. Doesn't mean anything.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Jun 2009 19:54

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jun 2009 19:55

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently
Hull manager Phil Brown intends to try to sign Newcastle striker Michael Owen "within a week".

The bold bit makes that a completely worthless piece of news.

Rodgers could intend to try to sign Kaka within a week. Doesn't mean anything.

It presumably means he'll be making MO an offer, which is more than anyone else has (publicly) done so far!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 24 Jun 2009 11:06

I will be absolutely stunned if he goes to Hull, completely the wrong type of football for him to thrive with. Much like his time at Newcastle, he relies on good quality distribution and he is not going to get that from George Boateng

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Jun 2009 11:19

I'm guessing that Phil Brown doesn't care if he signs him or not just so long as his oxf*rd orange face is kept in the media just that little bit more.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jun 2009 12:41

6ft Kerplunk I'm guessing that Phil Brown doesn't care if he signs him or not just so long as his oxf*rd orange face is kept in the media just that little bit more.

Yeah, Hull can have no intention of paying Owen the sort of money he'll accept. He's hardly likely to take a 50% pay cut and that would still be pushing Hull a lot from what I've seen of his reported wages.

Meaningless Publicity stunt, presumably to boost Hull's (and Brown's) reputation and help convince better players they have ambition and to come to them.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2009 12:43

Ian Royal
6ft Kerplunk I'm guessing that Phil Brown doesn't care if he signs him or not just so long as his oxf*rd orange face is kept in the media just that little bit more.

Yeah, Hull can have no intention of paying Owen the sort of money he'll accept. He's hardly likely to take a 50% pay cut and that would still be pushing Hull a lot from what I've seen of his reported wages.

Meaningless Publicity stunt, presumably to boost Hull's (and Brown's) reputation and help convince better players they have ambition and to come to them.

But then again if Hull are MO's only offer he just might accept it - never hurts to take a speculative punt....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jun 2009 12:45

I'll buy your beer at the next game I see you at if Owen ends up at Hull.

(planning on going to at least P'boro, Watford & Ipswich away. Will be trying for Palace and QPR too)

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 24 Jun 2009 12:49

Ian Royal I'll buy your beer at the next game I see you at if Owen ends up at Hull.

(planning on going to at least P'boro, Watford & Ipswich away. Will be trying for Palace and QPR too)

He wont end up there. He seems to think top clubs still rate him. That or he will look abroad again where apparently, interest is high. Behave.

I can see Villa maybe putting together some sort of deal for him, that's as good as it could get IMO. Maybe Everton too. He'd be worth a 50k a week deal with more on top in a pay as you play, goal scoring bonus...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2009 12:52

Ian Royal I'll buy your beer at the next game I see you at if Owen ends up at Hull.

Post quoted for future reference.

Let's look at the options - he's said that he'll only stay in the PL, and the Big 4 plus Spurs, Man City & Villa won't touch him.

That only leaves 13 clubs, and then clubs down south like Fulham, West Ham & Pompey can be ruled out too if he won't relocate.

We're down to 10 and at least where he lives Hull is (reasonably) accessible - and if you rule out Hull on financial grounds you can rule out Wolves & Burnley too. Not that many options left for him, so you never know.....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Jun 2009 12:53

But then again if Hull are MO's only offer he just might accept it - never hurts to take a speculative punt....

I heard Villa offered a pay-as-you-play deal.

Which seems bizarre, illegal and likely to be rejected

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2009 13:01

papereyes

Why illegal? As long as they hold his registration, how much he gets paid and what it's based on is surely down to what they agree between themselves?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 24 Jun 2009 13:02

papereyes

Is it? I'm sure players have been on pay as you play deals before. :|

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Jun 2009 13:15

Stoke have now joined the race to sign Owen :lol:

Surely a club like Fulham/Bolton/Portsmouth would be better signing him??!

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 24 Jun 2009 15:06

Dirk Gently

Let's look at the options - he's said that he'll only stay in the PL, and the Big 4 plus Spurs, Man City & Villa won't touch him.

That only leaves 13 clubs, and then clubs down south like Fulham, West Ham & Pompey can be ruled out too if he won't relocate.

We're down to 10 and at least where he lives Hull is (reasonably) accessible - and if you rule out Hull on financial grounds you can rule out Wolves & Burnley too. Not that many options left for him, so you never know.....

Thought he had a helicopter so that would rule out the relocation issue.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jun 2009 17:11

Dirk Gently

I meant every word of it.

He said he wanted to stay in the Prem or play in a top european league. That suggests he's willing to relocate.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 24 Jun 2009 17:28

Ian Royal [
He said he wanted to stay in the Prem or play in a top european league. That suggests he's willing to relocate.

You daft sod. He's owns his own racehorse stables which he takes a very proactive part in taking care of. He will not relocate. It has been documented over and over again.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jun 2009 17:32

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently

Fine by me.

I know it's a long shot but you never know - and a bet where I'm risking nothing but stand to win beer is always a bet I'm happy to accept!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jun 2009 18:53

TheMaraudingDog
Ian Royal [

You daft sod. He's owns his own racehorse stables which he takes a very proactive part in taking care of. He will not relocate. It has been documented over and over again.

Well I think I'll believe a quote from Owen I've read over what you and Dirk say.

Frankly I don't give much of a shit either way.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 24 Jun 2009 21:43

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently

But he didn't send this ghey catalogue to all Premiership clubs. Wigan didn't receive one. :lol:

124 posts