Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5577 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Apr 2019 14:34

Free market and no real regulation and monitoring for you.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Apr 2019 15:41

Sanguine This is just nuts. Liverpool have spent £328m on transfers in, in the last two years, and paid a total £70.6m agents fees :shock: in addition.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... fit-record

And apparently Man City are buying the title :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2019 15:55

Has it ever been any different in the Premiership?

(maybe with the exception of Leicester)

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 07 Apr 2019 18:41

AthleticoSpizz Has it ever been any different in the Premiership?

(maybe with the exception of Leicester)

Blackburn?

I suppose since Chelsea nobody has brought the title.... only won by being the superior team.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2019 18:43

Blackburn were well funded back then...Shearer etc... but not anymore

Maybe that’s why they are where they are now

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 07 Apr 2019 19:26

Is that well funded for that time though? I am not old enough to remember it vividly. Were they like the man city of 1996?

If they were, would they have sold shearer?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2019 19:41

Very much so.

Shaerer ( sic’) was their cash cow

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Apr 2019 21:06

Shearer was a record transfer fee in 1992 at £3.4m but between 1992 and 1995 they also bought

Stuart Ripley £1.3m
Jeff Kenna £1.4m
Kevin Gallagher £1.5m
Tim Flowers £2.4m
Paul Warhurst £2.7m
David Batty £2.75m
Chris Sutton £5m (British Transfer Record)

And they also bought Mike Newell for £1.1m before they got promoted.

Without Walker's money they may still have got promoted but they would have got nowhere near the title.

They sold Shearer because Newcastle were offered £15m which was double the record fee paid by an English club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2019 07:36

And I expect they knew Shearer was keen to go home too.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2019 07:44

Franchise FC
Sanguine This is just nuts. Liverpool have spent £328m on transfers in, in the last two years, and paid a total £70.6m agents fees :shock: in addition.

Well you seem sensible enough most of the time, so you'll know that Liverpool have sold Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling in the last few years for about 6 quadrillion dollars, and that agents fees have nothing to do with net transfer spend. But, carry on.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Apr 2019 11:27

Sanguine
Franchise FC

Well you seem sensible enough most of the time, so you'll know that Liverpool have sold Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling in the last few years for about 6 quadrillion dollars, and that agents fees have nothing to do with net transfer spend. But, carry on.

Seriously ? Agents fees have nothing to do with net transfer spend ?
So if a club spend £1 on transfers but £1bn on agents fees, then net spend is £1 ?

That simply can't be right, can it ?

Oh, and thanks for the permission :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2019 12:08

Franchise FC
Sanguine
Franchise FC

Seriously ? Agents fees have nothing to do with net transfer spend ?
So if a club spend £1 on transfers but £1bn on agents fees, then net spend is £1 ?

That simply can't be right, can it ?

Oh, and thanks for the permission :wink:

You've referenced Liverpool's agents fees in relation to the suggestion that Liverpool are also 'buying the title'. Agents fees are predominantly (although not exclusively) paid on transfers in, so Liverpool's spending on the likes of Van Dijk etc has contributed to that startling figure of over £70m.

However any charge of 'buying the title' is surely separate and has to consider net spend, and the sale of the players I mentioned that part-financed their player purchases.

Was my point.

Or to put it another simpler way, if Liverpool had sold players for a total of £5bn, their agents fees would be roughly the same.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Apr 2019 13:51

Sanguine Or to put it another simpler way, if Liverpool had sold players for a total of £5bn, their agents fees would be roughly the same.

I disagree on that. Agents are often paid to help the offloading of players.

Net transfer spend is an odd one though. For a start, how long do you go back to count transfers, in or out.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2019 13:58

Hoop Blah
Sanguine Or to put it another simpler way, if Liverpool had sold players for a total of £5bn, their agents fees would be roughly the same.

I disagree on that. Agents are often paid to help the offloading of players.

Net transfer spend is an odd one though. For a start, how long do you go back to count transfers, in or out.

I think my comment is getting warped a little.
First, I've acknowledged that there is agent spend involved in outgoing transfers, but I think equally we can all accept that the majority of spend for clubs in that respect will reflect incoming players.

For a start, how long do you go back to count transfers, in or out.

Second, to answer this, of course you're right, and indeed the way football transfers hits a club's P&L looks nothing like the fees we see in the press (broadly, amortised over a player's contract, etc), but equally broadly speaking, it's reasonable when people raise Liverpool's 'spending' in the last couple of years to highlight that they sold Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho for c. £250m.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Apr 2019 14:44

I note that there is a meeting at the City Ground today of all Championship clubs where there is likely to be an agreement by the majority to insist the FL scrutinise the financial affairs of Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County and Aston Villa.

Wonder if the FL will do so and wonder if they will find anything untoward....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2019 22:55

Bolton v Brentford game postponed tomorrow due to Bolton players refusing to play.

Of course, there are reasons for it.

Brentford fans who have made their ‘arrangements and paid their way’ will be f11cked-over

Bolton should be expunged from the FL set-up forthwith.

No sympathy, no half measures

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 27 Apr 2019 08:28

What happens if Bolton v Brentford and next weeks game don't get played, are all the other results nullified?

If so, are we still safe???

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Apr 2019 09:05

I think we're too far into the season to expunge results, so better to award 3-0 walkovers in the final 2 games especially as neither has a bearing on promotion or relegation.

Failure to fulfill fixtures should normally lead to expulsion from the league but, as this is a player strike that is causing this and the club has not yet gone into liquidation and a takeover is in progress, I suspect the EFL would allow the new owner to take over in League 1 with maybe a points deduction.

If Bolton were expelled, the most reasonable solution would be 2 down, 3 up in the Championship, 3 down 4 up in League 1 and 1 down 2 up in League 2.

IMO, Bolton are serial offenders and should be kicked out.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Apr 2019 11:16

From Despair To Where? I think we're too far into the season to expunge results, so better to award 3-0 walkovers in the final 2 games especially as neither has a bearing on promotion or relegation.

Failure to fulfill fixtures should normally lead to expulsion from the league but, as this is a player strike that is causing this and the club has not yet gone into liquidation and a takeover is in progress, I suspect the EFL would allow the new owner to take over in League 1 with maybe a points deduction.

If Bolton were expelled, the most reasonable solution would be 2 down, 3 up in the Championship, 3 down 4 up in League 1 and 1 down 2 up in League 2.

IMO, Bolton are serial offenders and should be kicked out.

Agree - its time the EFL got tough with Bolton....signing players without the ability to pay them (PFA have loaned monies to pay wages this season too) is cheating the other 23 sides in the league; as a minimum they should have a 12 month transfer embargo.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 27 Apr 2019 13:39

Professional football clubs exist for one reason - to play football in front of the public. If a club is unable to play its players, it ceases to be able to fulfil that function and should be closed down. No doubt a Phoenix club would be created and reach the EFL within a decade, but a club that employs professionals that it can't pay is not competing on a level playing field. IIRC, Bolton were reported to have debts of around £80m when they were last relegated from the PL. Whatever they owe now, it's difficult to see if being paid off any time soon. Time to put the club out of its misery... except... remember Portsmouth, when the people who suffered most were the local businesses who got bugger all?

5577 posts