Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5579 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Sutekh » 27 May 2018 07:56

Apparently Real Madrid aren’t exactly in comfort street either. Heard the media mention RM will need to sell in the summer to try and alleviate their debts. Anyone know if that’s just standard media hype or if RM are looking a bit dodgy at the moment.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 May 2018 07:57

Wherever Lewis Grabban ends up put a large wedge on them losing the next play off final.

He's the anti-Stephen Dobbie

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 27 May 2018 20:43

Sutekh Apparently Real Madrid aren’t exactly in comfort street either. Heard the media mention RM will need to sell in the summer to try and alleviate their debts. Anyone know if that’s just standard media hype or if RM are looking a bit dodgy at the moment.

The spanish government will probably bail them out, just like they did last time when they bought their training ground off them for about 50x face value.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 May 2018 09:49

Aston Villa are going to have to make some changes soon enough with them heading towards failing FFP and their parachute payments dropping. They also reportedly have quite a number of players earning big money. Could be quite a different Villa team we see next season.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1001380858983534593

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 May 2018 14:16

Winston Biscuit Aston Villa are going to have to make some changes soon enough with them heading towards failing FFP and their parachute payments dropping. They also reportedly have quite a number of players earning big money. Could be quite a different Villa team we see next season.

So Villa need to make up a £45M shortfall through wage cuts and player sales. Going to be painful.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 May 2018 18:20

I'd offer them £4m for Albert Adomah and Jonathan Kodjia.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 May 2018 08:31

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderlands-running-costs-scary-must-14721022

League One - with Stewart Donald revealing the club’s ‘scary’ running costs equal those of seven or eight third tier clubs combined.

Ellis Short cleared the club’s £125m debt as part of the deal that saw him sell to Donald in a £40m deal earlier this month but that still left the new owner with a lossmaking club which costs a small fortune to run - even before player wages are factored in.

And aside from the comparison with the running costs of other League One sides, Donald also says Sunderland’s cost-base is higher than the entire turnover of 20 teams in League Two.
Read More

Back-to-back relegations will see club’s TV revenue plummet 98 per cent next season, when compared to their earnings in the Premier League the season before last.

Donald has already begun cutting costs, with a number of staff members leaving the club last week either through redundancy, retirement, or leaving for other jobs, while senior executives who are staying on will take a significant pay cut.

Asked about the club’s financial situation, Donald said: “Obviously the numbers didn’t surprise me because I had them to formulate an offer but was I surprised how bad they were?

“Yes. You look at Sunderland, the fanbase, the stadium, the potential, you think it should be functioning pretty well.

“Then you look at the cost-base and you find that excluding players, running this club costs more than 20 teams in League Two turnover, and that’s before we pay a footballer.

“That is quite scary. You could put together seven or eight teams in League One and that would cost the same as the cost-base here, before you pay a player.

“So when you go into League One you think you’ve got a massive financial advantage, well we’ve actually got a financial burden

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2018 09:11

Winston Biscuit https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderlands-running-costs-scary-must-14721022

League One - with Stewart Donald revealing the club’s ‘scary’ running costs equal those of seven or eight third tier clubs combined.

Ellis Short cleared the club’s £125m debt as part of the deal that saw him sell to Donald in a £40m deal earlier this month but that still left the new owner with a lossmaking club which costs a small fortune to run - even before player wages are factored in.

And aside from the comparison with the running costs of other League One sides, Donald also says Sunderland’s cost-base is higher than the entire turnover of 20 teams in League Two.
Read More

Back-to-back relegations will see club’s TV revenue plummet 98 per cent next season, when compared to their earnings in the Premier League the season before last.

Donald has already begun cutting costs, with a number of staff members leaving the club last week either through redundancy, retirement, or leaving for other jobs, while senior executives who are staying on will take a significant pay cut.

Asked about the club’s financial situation, Donald said: “Obviously the numbers didn’t surprise me because I had them to formulate an offer but was I surprised how bad they were?

“Yes. You look at Sunderland, the fanbase, the stadium, the potential, you think it should be functioning pretty well.

“Then you look at the cost-base and you find that excluding players, running this club costs more than 20 teams in League Two turnover, and that’s before we pay a footballer.

“That is quite scary. You could put together seven or eight teams in League One and that would cost the same as the cost-base here, before you pay a player.

“So when you go into League One you think you’ve got a massive financial advantage, well we’ve actually got a financial burden

Shows the view held by some that going down may have been a good thing for us this year to be the absolute tosh that it is.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2018 09:13

From Despair To Where? I'd offer them £4m for Albert Adomah and Jonathan Kodjia.

And throw in Aluko for good measure.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2018 09:48

Winston Biscuit Aston Villa are going to have to make some changes soon enough with them heading towards failing FFP and their parachute payments dropping. They also reportedly have quite a number of players earning big money. Could be quite a different Villa team we see next season.

So, if they had gone up, they would've passed FFP next year?

Kind of defeats the point of the whole thing if that's the case - if you blow a bunch of money on players and wages and end up being promoted as a result...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 May 2018 09:50

genome

So, if they had gone up, they would've passed FFP next year?

Kind of defeats the point of the whole thing if that's the case - if you blow a bunch of money on players and wages and end up being promoted as a result...

FFP is measured over a 3 year period yo yeah I think they would have been fine had they gone up

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 01 Jun 2018 14:46

in December Winston Biscuit AC Milan in a mess too. Spend big in the summer under their new Chinese owner, UEFA decide to investigate the new owner as they are unsure about the loans he says he has bought the club with, the owner says all is legit so nothing to worry about......and then submits a request to UEFA to be exempt from FFP as they are going to fall foul quite badly and can't afford the fines that will come with it. lolwut! :lol:

Italian media claiming AC Milan are going to be banned from European competitions next season as a punishment for failing FFP. I think they have a hearing in a week or so

They are also claiming that having lost so much money in recent times, gambled massively on getting in the CL by spending €200M last summer, failed to get into it and then also potentially facing a ban from the EL they are edging closer towards bankruptcy

Donnarumma at a cut price anyone?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jun 2018 09:07

Not exactly a crisis but I read a good article yesterday about what a mess Barcelona's famed La Masia has got into with a move away from their tradition of training up young Spanish talent and instead huge money is being spent on a failing B team.

Barca B have signed 57 different players in the past 3 seasons, many of them young 'wonderkids' from abroad, they have an annual wage bill of €47M per season which is more than many La Liga clubs, it matches Getafe's wage bill who finished 8th in the top division, and Barca B just got relegated to the 3rd division.

The relegation down to 3rd tier is not that unusual for them, they bounce around between 2 and 3 a lot but the article seemed to suggest that they have been spending big on young players in recent years to find the next set of superstars and that policy has backfired on them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2018 11:19

Good.

I have a vague / vain hope that will enable other Spanish clubs to pick up the talent and eventually close the gap.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Jun 2018 18:36

Some journalists saying that HMRC have served a winding up order to Villa

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 05 Jun 2018 18:59

Yeah, details starting to come out. They missed a payment to HMRC. Not that it matters but the suspended Villa CEO is a dead ringer for Alfred Hitchcock. Drinks at my local.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jun 2018 19:38

Lol who set Villa up with their current owner again? Chris oxf*rd Samuelson.

We tried to warn them.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Jun 2018 22:29

stealthpapes Yeah, details starting to come out. They missed a payment to HMRC. Not that it matters but the suspended Villa CEO is a dead ringer for Alfred Hitchcock. Drinks at my local.

Have a pint of Davenport's for me.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Jun 2018 09:40

Green
stealthpapes Yeah, details starting to come out. They missed a payment to HMRC. Not that it matters but the suspended Villa CEO is a dead ringer for Alfred Hitchcock. Drinks at my local.

Have a pint of Davenport's for me.

Oh, bad news on that front, the Davenports guy decided not to open, in the end.

So, its a Bathams and a pack of Black Country scratchings, duck.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jun 2018 10:39

tidus_mi2 Lol who set Villa up with their current owner again? Chris oxf*rd Samuelson.

We tried to warn them.

Yup, very similar situation as well, where's it's likely they will have to sell players to pay a tax bill and avoid administration, like us with Le Fondre.

5579 posts