Hob Nob Regular

Well done Mr Giggs

by readingbedding » 13 Dec 2009 21:30

Deserved.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Well done Mr Giggs

by Archie's penalty » 13 Dec 2009 22:04

Lifetime achievement award of sorts but happy our Ryan got it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Dec 2009 22:57

Pity he didn't deserve another Champions League medal because he was dogshit in the final. Give him a lifetime achievement award, but to give him this is an utter disgrace, he's a shadow of his former self.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 13 Dec 2009 23:02

Royalee Pity he didn't deserve another Champions League medal because he was dogshit in the final. Give him a lifetime achievement award, but to give him this is an utter disgrace, he's a shadow of his former self.

What sort of soiled test tube did you originate from?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Dec 2009 23:03

Please explain to me how his performances THIS YEAR justify him being given the award.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Dec 2009 23:03

Popular winner.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 13 Dec 2009 23:06

Royalee Please explain to me how his performances THIS YEAR justify him being given the award.

No, no. PLEASE explain to the rest of planet earth why his career doesn't justify such an award? Go on, you first.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 23:10

The clue is in the title of the award.For the record I like Giggs. His attitude is the complete opposite of his club, he is quiet and dignified and doesn't crow about how great he is.

There is however no way he should win this award ahead of the likes of Button and Ennis.Both Ennis and Button have faced set backs and comeback stronger for it (no drivers seat and a broken ankle respectively) and are two people whose achievements I believe deserve the recognition more this year.

Wide and Wonderful
Location: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

by Wide and Wonderful » 13 Dec 2009 23:41

sandman The clue is in the title of the award.For the record I like Giggs. His attitude is the complete opposite of his club, he is quiet and dignified and doesn't crow about how great he is.

There is however no way he should win this award ahead of the likes of Button and Ennis.Both Ennis and Button have faced set backs and comeback stronger for it (no drivers seat and a broken ankle respectively) and are two people whose achievements I believe deserve the recognition more this year.

I agree. Whilst you can't knock Giggs for his acheivements in football over the last 20 years (an amazing player), his acheivements over the last year seem less worthy of the award than those of Ennis and Button. He didn't single handedly earn Man Utd the title last year, (Rooney and Ronaldo did)

If so many of the population weren't busy watching the X-factor, perhaps the vote would have gone a different way.

Why was Giggs put up for a nomination anyway?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Dec 2009 23:44

Who cares anyway? The SPOTY has long since become a farcical non-entity in the face of it's own smug BBC self-importance.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Dec 2009 00:57

Another naff programme.

Why they can't just have extended sporting highlights, rather than mundane, completely banal interviews....

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 14 Dec 2009 08:56

Pretty much everyone else nominated has achieved more in their sport in the past year than Giggs has in his.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 09:10

(.)Boobies(.)
Royalee Please explain to me how his performances THIS YEAR justify him being given the award.

No, no. PLEASE explain to the rest of planet earth why his career doesn't justify such an award? Go on, you first.

It may have justified it the '99 season when he single handedly tore Arsenal to pieces in the FA Cup Semi Final and had an excellent season both domestically and in Europe, but the fact remains that this is supposed to be Sports Personality of the YEAR, not DECADE, or CAREER. If this was the case then Alan Shearer should have been given it the year he retired and so forth - there are many players who have had glittering careers like Giggs who don't get this award and as big an Ryan Giggs fan as I am (and I am), to give it to him for this year is a complete slap in the face to everyone else nominated for the award and devalues what was once a prestigious title. He should never have been on the shortlist to begin with as he has had a pretty poor year personally by his standards, but I guess that didn't stop his armchair fans voting in to give him his second award this year which he hasn't deserved, the PFA award was a joke as it was.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Dec 2009 09:49

Crazy decision, but there you go, SPOTY has just become a load of nonsense

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Dec 2009 10:03

Silver Fox Crazy decision, but there you go, SPOTY has just become a load of nonsense

I think it went downhill when Zara Phillips won it in 2006 :|

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 14 Dec 2009 10:17

TBM
Silver Fox Crazy decision, but there you go, SPOTY has just become a load of nonsense

I think it went downhill when Zara Phillips won it in 2006 :|

Presumably Zara and Ryan share the same speech-writer.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Dec 2009 11:54

Royalee
(.)Boobies(.)

It may have justified it the '99 season when he single handedly tore Arsenal to pieces in the FA Cup Semi Final and had an excellent season both domestically and in Europe, but the fact remains that this is supposed to be Sports Personality of the YEAR, not DECADE, or CAREER. If this was the case then Alan Shearer should have been given it the year he retired and so forth - there are many players who have had glittering careers like Giggs who don't get this award and as big an Ryan Giggs fan as I am (and I am), to give it to him for this year is a complete slap in the face to everyone else nominated for the award and devalues what was once a prestigious title. He should never have been on the shortlist to begin with as he has had a pretty poor year personally by his standards, but I guess that didn't stop his armchair fans voting in to give him his second award this year which he hasn't deserved, the PFA award was a joke as it was.

SPOTy ON

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Dec 2009 11:56

People's favourite won.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Dec 2009 12:26

Giggs is a legend to be fair. Pleased he won. The Welsh vote did it for him.

by 1960 » 14 Dec 2009 17:34

No Fixed Abode Giggs is a legend to be fair. Pleased he won. The Welsh vote did it for him.

And the Manchester United vote.