The generic transfer thread

10377 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Aug 2018 11:15

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
genome Joe Hart to Burnley for £3.5m

Hope Nick Pope can get himself a move away in January when he is fit. Would be awful for him to be stuck behind this waster.

A 'waster'?
Hart has lost form completely, but was a very able performer for England and City for years. Luckily I don't think Dyche is the sort to bollock around and unless Hart is playing like one of the world's best again, Pope will be back when he is fit.
Not sure Hart deserves the term 'waster' though.

Edit: forgot Heaton. Having now remembered Heaton, this is a weird move for Hart. 2nd, and then 3rd choice?

Yes he is a waster. Wasted opportunites at both Torino and West Ham to re-establish himself as a top level keeper and has let his country down on a few ocassions too when it really mattered. He has failed to adapt to modern day goalkeeping, clearly hasn't worked hard enough on his distribution which is one of the main reasons Pep wanted rid in the first place.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Aug 2018 11:18

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Hope Nick Pope can get himself a move away in January when he is fit. Would be awful for him to be stuck behind this waster.

A 'waster'?
Hart has lost form completely, but was a very able performer for England and City for years. Luckily I don't think Dyche is the sort to bollock around and unless Hart is playing like one of the world's best again, Pope will be back when he is fit.

Edit: forgot Heaton. Having now remembered Heaton, this is a weird move for Hart. 2nd, and then 3rd choice?

Yes he is a waster. Wasted opportunites at both Torino and West Ham to re-establish himself as a top level keeper and has let his country down on a few ocassions too when it really mattered. He has failed to adapt to modern day goalkeeping, clearly hasn't worked hard enough on his distribution which is one of the main reasons Pep wanted rid in the first place.

You seem nice. Perhaps he's just not good enough. Remarkable the insight you have into his effort.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Aug 2018 11:22

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
A 'waster'?

You seem nice. Perhaps he's just not good enough. Remarkable the insight you have into his effort.

He hasn't worked hard enough on his disribution, try watching some recent games or something instead of YouTube videos of "JOE HART'S 20 GREATEST SAVES".

Being honest and being nice are two different things. There is a reason he is a last minute desperation signing at Burnley rather than playing for a top club. He has wasted the opportunity that was given to him by being massively complacent, pretty obvious isn't it?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2018 11:25

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews

A 'waster'?

His distribution was perfectly fine it just wasn't up to what Guardiola demands and to be fair Hart's replacement wasn't quite up to the mark either even though he was brought specifically for that reason..

I actually think that he did work hard on his distribution and it's proved to the detriment of the other parts of his game. He was certainly overhyped ( hyper himself) at times but he was still a good keeper. You don't just become a bad one overnight.

He's also never just settled for the money and an easy gig as a back up either.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea personality wise and it may prove to be that his best years are behind him but yes "waster" is definitely harsh.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Aug 2018 11:25

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews

He hasn't worked hard enough on his disribution, try watching some recent games or something instead of YouTube videos of "JOE HART'S 20 GREATEST SAVES".

Being honest and being nice are two different things. There is a reason he is a last minute desperation signing at Burnley rather than playing for a top club. He has wasted the opportunity that was given to him by being massively complacent, pretty obvious isn't it?

Chill out pal. I'm actually no big fan of his at all, I'm just interested into the insight you have into how hard he is working. You seem to be conflating achievement with effort, which can't always be done, of course.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Aug 2018 11:26

Vision
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
A 'waster'?

His distribution was perfectly fine it just wasn't up to what Guardiola demands and to be fair Hart's replacement wasn't quite up to the mark either even though he was brought specifically for that reason..

I actually think that he did work hard on his distribution and it's proved to the detriment of the other parts of his game. He was certainly overhyped ( hyper himself) at times but he was still a good keeper. You don't just become a bad one overnight.

He's also never just settled for the money and an easy gig as a back up either.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea personality wise and it may prove to be that his best years are behind him but yes "waster" is definitely harsh.

Has he or has he not wasted the opportunities given to him? The answer is surely yes. Therefore he can be considered a waster surely?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Aug 2018 11:28

Old Man Andrews
Has he or has he not wasted the opportunities given to him? The answer is surely yes. Therefore he can be considered a waster surely?

Not been able to take hold of the opportunities through a lack of ability to either improve or change his game is not the same as wasting that opportunity by not bothering. The former doesn't make someone 'a waster', it makes them 'not good enough'. Hart has been a very good shot stopper over the years and commanded his area, but has been unable to adapt as the role of the keeper has moved beyond saving shots and catching crosses.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Aug 2018 11:30

Central Coast Mariners have handed a trial, for an 'indefinite period' to none other than Usain Bolt. :shock: :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Aug 2018 11:30

Hart's problems started before Pep instigated the whole distribution issue bandwagon. He was dropped by Pellegrini when he lost a bit of form and his decision making seemed to be letting him down (everyone seems to forgot this).

Before that, and since in a less consistent way, Hart was an excellent keeper and, from everything I've seen, read or heard about him, I doubt his drop in form is down to a lack of effort or hard work.

The move to Burnley is surely because they just don't quite know how or when Pope is going to return. Heaton has been out for the best part of a year with a shoulder injury (and is now carrying another knock which makes him unavailable at the moment) so perhaps it's a case of once bitten twice shy as Pope could be out for longer than originally expected.

Edit: I do remember reading something about Hart's initial drop in form being put down to a change in goalkeeper coach, I'm assuming at City. It could be he just never quite had the same effective working relationship with the replacements and his confidence has been shattered since.
Last edited by Hoop Blah on 07 Aug 2018 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Aug 2018 11:31

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

Chill out pal. I'm actually no big fan of his at all, I'm just interested into the insight you have into how hard he is working. You seem to be conflating achievement with effort, which can't always be done, of course.

I'm chilled just having a debate I have had before. Joe Hart is very Marmite in general from what I've seen some love him and some hate him. Just think he has seen a massive decline in the last couple of years, that Torino move was his chance to start again but both there and West Ham he let himself down.

Happy for him to prove me wrong at Burnley, mean him no specific harm or anything just annoys me how he has let his career go the way it has. I was a big advocate of his when he first came into that City side and he was a world class keeper at one point.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Aug 2018 11:42

My Dad absolutely fcuking HATES Joe Hart. Like, actual, seething disdain for him on a visceral level.

I believe he calls him "that Brylcreemed Head & Shoulders shagging prick"

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Aug 2018 12:24

Old Man Andrews Just think he has seen a massive decline in the last couple of years, that Torino move was his chance to start again but both there and West Ham he let himself down.

Happy for him to prove me wrong at Burnley, mean him no specific harm or anything just annoys me how he has let his career go the way it has. I was a big advocate of his when he first came into that City side and he was a world class keeper at one point.

I've always quite liked Hart to be honest, but I think his decline is more like 3-5 years in the making, but he was very very good at one point. The couple of years must've been very hard for him and I think his mistakes have been magnified by his profile and the debate about his form.

Having said that, I do think he was a tad fortunate to keep his England place at times, especially when Butland got injured before the Euro's in 2016.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Aug 2018 12:28

On the subject of goalkeepers, I'd like to see Chelsea pull their finger out and give Butland the chance at a big club. Until that happens we won't know quite how good he really is (for my money he's still better than Pickford, albeit not as good with the ball at his feet).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2018 15:58

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews Just think he has seen a massive decline in the last couple of years, that Torino move was his chance to start again but both there and West Ham he let himself down.

I've always quite liked Hart to be honest, but I think his decline is more like 3-5 years in the making, but he was very very good at one point. The couple of years must've been very hard for him and I think his mistakes have been magnified by his profile and the debate about his form.

Having said that, I do think he was a tad fortunate to keep his England place at times, especially when Butland got injured before the Euro's in 2016.

His decline has certainly been over at least 3 years. He simply doesn't seem to have been able to cope with not being first choice and hasn't been able to figure out what to do to improve to get that back at City or hold it down elsewhere. He did ok at Torino but believe he only ever saw that as a 1 year job to play regularly outside the PL spotlight. Hence the move to W.Ham last year. Again he made a couple of mistakes, lost confidence and his place and then couldn't improve enough to displace Adrian.

If he starts the season well then his confidence may well return and we may see the Joe Hart of 5 or so years ago. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2018 16:04

In fairness West Ham was a pretty poisonous place to be last season. Arnautovich towards the end of the season aside, hardly anyone came out of the season with their reputation even remotely enhanced.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Aug 2018 09:40

Chelsea in for goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga of Athletic Bilbao, for a new world record £71.6m, matching his release clause. He's been under the radar a bit against the likes of Oblak and Ter Stegen and Alisson. Bit of a risk at that price - he nearly went to Real Madrid for £17m in January.

Kovacic looks a good loan signing though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Aug 2018 09:48

Sanguine Chelsea in for goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga of Athletic Bilbao, for a new world record £71.6m, matching his release clause. He's been under the radar a bit against the likes of Oblak and Ter Stegen and Alisson. Bit of a risk at that price - he nearly went to Real Madrid for £17m in January.

Kepa is a strange one. Big risk for that sort of money, looks a bit painicky to me. Surprised they didn't go for a cheaper option such as Trapp or Areola from PSG. One of them must be available now Buffon is there.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Aug 2018 09:50

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine Chelsea in for goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga of Athletic Bilbao, for a new world record £71.6m, matching his release clause. He's been under the radar a bit against the likes of Oblak and Ter Stegen and Alisson. Bit of a risk at that price - he nearly went to Real Madrid for £17m in January.

Kepa is a strange one. Big risk for that sort of money, looks a bit painicky to me. Surprised they didn't go for a cheaper option such as Trapp or Areola from PSG. One of them must be available now Buffon is there.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Aug 2018 09:55

Old Man Andrews or Areola from PSG

has been pretty stand up in the centre of the season, quite a perky time by all accounts, one he hoped to really hang his hat on, but around the edges was just flat, bit of a dark spell it seems

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Aug 2018 09:56

Winston Biscuit
Old Man Andrews or Areola from PSG

has been pretty stand up in the centre of the season, quite a perky time by all accounts, one he hoped to really hang his hat on, but around the edges was just flat, bit of a dark spell it seems

He had a row with the coach in pre-season training. Made a right tit of himself apparently.

10377 posts