The Non - League thread

10521 posts
Royalist

Re: Non - League thread 2015/16

by Royalist » 23 May 2016 17:48

Slightly off topic but watched that new show on sky with Craig Cash based at a non league ground. Can tell it's been written by people who've been to non league as even though its cartoony and played for laughs it really does remind me of many a clubhouse!

Watched the FA Vase final on bt yesterday. 45 year old goalscorer who's retired twice, had 4 heart operations and a 6 inch screw in his heel. Great stuff!

Oh and FoC keep up the great work!

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 25 May 2016 22:11

Had a great day at Non League Finals day Sat with the Morpeth fans which turned out to be the best place to sit was able to move around for both games admittedly only in the section.

Only negative was for a neutral, the gap between the games annoyed me. I understood why it had to be such a large gap but there was nothing to do inbetween but watch them mow the grass. Went to the bar but Wembley prices meant it couldn't be too many. Would've been nice to leave the ground and be able to do something else.

If they are going to do this again they need to increase the size of the neutral section as only half of the ground was full for both games but there were plenty of neutral fans staying to watch both games and even some fans of participating teams stayed to watch both but these were few and far between.

Overall a fantastic day out though. Shall post some photos soon when I get them off my phone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2016 14:06

Looks like Bracknell Town are about to start big things.

They have received the green light to replace the Larges Lane pitch with the latest state of the art 3G grass system and to also build artificial training pitches.

They're also expected to get the ok to replace/modernise the somewhat dilapidated changing rooms and clubhouse and stands and re-fence the new pitch.

Lastly the final piece for approval (expected in July) is to sell off part of the Larges Lane side of the ground for housing.

Consequently Bracknell will be playing home games at Bottom Meadow (Sandhurst Town FC) while the work - which is expected to start in July - completes. Development and reserve sides will play all games away from home for the duration.

The work will not only give the now debt free club a vital shot in the arm income wise but also raise their profile as the set up will be one of the leading club infrastructures in the non league game esp. for a step 5 club.

Lastly both Reading and Chelsea are said to be interested in working with Bracknell Town with regard to forming arrangements to give local youngsters of all ages and abilities (including the disabled) a way into playing the game recreationally as well as seriously.

The long term aim is to build a club of which the town can be proud and to play at the highest possible level - so just some finance for the team needed then....

Royalist

by Royalist » 26 May 2016 17:30

A good pitch at bracknell? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think the last time i went there the game got called off due to snow. Went back to Windsor and there was no snow at all! :mrgreen:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2016/17

by Four Of Clubs » 01 Jul 2016 09:09

.... now we're in July - time for a quick 'bump' - if you're itching to wander along to watch some low level good honest 'kick and rush' there's a couple of Pre-Season Games to choose from round 'ereabouts tomorrow. 8) These are the few I've spotted so far.......

Sat 2nd July

Camberley Town v Moneyfields @ Gibraltar Barracks Minley nr Blackbushe off A30 - probably need id to get in. Reportedly 1sts KO at 13:00; Reserves at 15:00

Hungerford v Marlow @ Faraday Rd Newbury FC

Knaphill v Worcester Park - @ Lion Pk Church Lane Bisley - 1sts KO at 14:00 (Reserves @ 16:00)

Woodley Utd v Cobham @ RG Hockey & Cricket Club Sonning Lane. KO at 14:00

CB Hounslow v Eversley & California - 15:00 Reserves beforehand - not sure about venue for this - could be on the practice pitches behind Bedfont Sports or they might use their main pitch next door at The Orchard on Hatton Rd nr the A30 - can combine it with plane-spotting. :P
CB H are due to move to a new/upgraded facility nr Osterley but I have read somewhere, that won't be ready for League use until September

...plenty more to follow - the PSFs really start to 'take-off' from next w/e :mrgreen:

PS Mods can someone 'do the honours' with the main thread title pleeeease ??

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2016/17

by Top Flight » 01 Jul 2016 09:32

Four Of Clubs .... now we're in July - time for a quick 'bump' - if you're itching to wander along to watch some low level good honest 'kick and rush' there's a couple of Pre-Season Games to choose from round 'ereabouts tomorrow. 8) These are the few I've spotted so far.......

Sat 2nd July

Camberley Town v Moneyfields @ Gibraltar Barracks Minley nr Blackbushe off A30 - probably need id to get in. Reportedly 1sts KO at 13:00; Reserves at 15:00

Hungerford v Marlow @ Faraday Rd Newbury FC

Knaphill v Worcester Park - @ Lion Pk Church Lane Bisley - 1sts KO at 14:00 (Reserves @ 16:00)

Woodley Utd v Cobham @ RG Hockey & Cricket Club Sonning Lane. KO at 14:00

CB Hounslow v Eversley & California - 15:00 Reserves beforehand - not sure about venue for this - could be on the practice pitches behind Bedfont Sports or they might use their main pitch next door at The Orchard on Hatton Rd nr the A30 - can combine it with plane-spotting. :P
CB H are due to move to a new/upgraded facility nr Osterley but I have read somewhere, that won't be ready for League use until September

...plenty more to follow - the PSFs really start to 'take-off' from next w/e :mrgreen:

PS Mods can someone 'do the honours' with the main thread title pleeeease ??

Wealdstone FC are playing QPR under 21s tomorrow at 3pm down at Grosvenor Vale in Ruislip.

Glenn Little and Scott Davies have both worn the Wealdstone shirt in recent seasons. Scott Davies was with them last season and orchestrated the midfield. At the moment though, there are no current Reading FC connections that I'm aware of.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jul 2016 09:36

Both Glenn Little and Scott Davies are responsible for scoring two of the greatest goals in recent Wealdstone FC history.

Here is Glenn Little's beauty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2DyqBBcPtc

A legend everywhere he's been!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jul 2016 09:37

And here is Scott Davies 70 yard pile driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08323jkO8t0

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jul 2016 17:37

Another thread re-name now we've reached July or a whole new thread perhaps?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2016 18:03

Blakey appointed head coach/manager/whatever it's called with Heybridge Swifts

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Jul 2016 11:18

Knaphill v Worcester Park - @ Lion Pk Church Lane Bisley - 1sts KO at 15:00 (Reserves @ 13:00)

...soz details changed on this one.... :)

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Jul 2016 14:17

Non league fixtures released today.

Wealdstone open their campaign with a trip to Dartford on the 6th of August. Then on Monday the 8th St. Albans City head to the Vale for the Stones opening home game.

It will be an exciting season in National League South. Football, just like the old days. Even if there are a lot less people turning up.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Jul 2016 15:07

I see that Nicholas Bignall is playing for Hungerford this season.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2015/16/17

by Four Of Clubs » 06 Jul 2016 20:11

Hoop Blah I see that Nicholas Bignall is playing for Hungerford this season.

Can't say I noticed him on Saturday - caught the PSF at Newbury where 'Crusaders' eased 3-0 past Marlow.

DId get 10-15' sublime minutes of 'Ledge' who persuaded Bobby W to let him have a runout v late on - did his usual looming out of nowhere with menace, to break up a few moves , threaded some superb passes down the flanks and through the Blues defence. One outrageous trip on a flying winger who'd skinned him on the inside - provoked calls of 'Filth' from your correspondent! 8)

Doubt if he'll be used much as a player next term but was nice to see him roll the years back for a spell. :mrgreen:

Will bung a few more choice games on here before the w/e though most will be squad trials/warm ups for the new players to get used to each other.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 07 Jul 2016 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 07 Jul 2016 11:31

Didcot Town vs Slough Town Saturday. 1pm k.o. £5.

First game of the season. Proper football.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 09 Jul 2016 11:01

...bit late sorry - spent a while tracking late call offs, 'odd' KO times and venue changes ...

Pre-Season Friendlies

Saturday 9th July

13:00 Alton Town v AFC Totton
Bedfont & Feltham v Wembley
14:00 Binfield v Badshot Lea @ (3G ) Pigott School Wargrave RG10 8GS
Boreham Wood v Reading
14:15 Bracknell Town v Camberley Town EP School RG12 8FS
Colden Common FC v Whitchurch Town
Cricklade v Fairford Town
13:00 Didcot Town v Slough Town FC
Hamble FC v Thatcham Town
Hanworth Villa v Chalfont St Peter
14:00 Knaphill v Ashford Town @ Lion Pk Bisley GU24 9DR
Woodstock Town v Ardley United
Overton United v Andover New Street @ QMC Basingstoke RG213HF
Sandhurst Town v Farnborough
14:30 Tadley Calleva v Bashley (2:30pm @ Everest College)
Walton Casuals v Eversley & California @ Xcel leisure Centre
Winchester City v Alresford Town
13:00 Windsor v Dorking @ Eton Town FC SL4 6EW
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Cockfosters @ Cantley
Woodley United v Marlow FC (12pm & 2pm) (@ JMA Northumberland Ave – and roadworks down nr Hartland Rd roundabout have been 'removed' for this w/e according to RG Buses)

NOTE - Thread Header change please??? :mrgreen:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2016 18:25

Four Of Clubs .

Why not just call it "The Official Non-League Thread" then no-one will ever have to worry about the dates again.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: FInnegan's Pile Ointment Trophy

by Four Of Clubs » 09 Jul 2016 18:38

Sutekh
Four Of Clubs .

Why not just call it "The Official Non-League Thread" then no-one will ever have to worry about the dates again.

... I don't really mind one way or t'other but if the header doesn't get permanently 'mod-changed' or however it is amended - then the old header reappears whenever someone quotes against a post with that header?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Non - League thread

by Royal Rother » 10 Jul 2016 12:50

Windsor 1-1 Dorking.

Windsor had a few 1st teamers from last season but the team of 20 or so was mainly made up of trialists from what I could see and although 2 or 3 new faces looked decent enough most were clearly not up to the standard of CCLP.

Well, IMHO anyway.

I know one should not go to the early pre-season games expecting much as they are little more than a means of player assessment for the management but that was seriously uninspiring for the spectator yesterday.

Still, at least it didn't rain!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Non - League thread

by Royal Rother » 10 Jul 2016 13:01

Windsor have just announced another friendly on Tuesday evening 7pm KO, v Hellenic Div 2 newcomers Chalvey Sports.

Doubt I will bother with that - need a full week to recover from yesterday's showing.

10521 posts