The Non - League thread

10545 posts
mx

Re: The Non - League thread

by mx » 04 Sep 2017 17:57

Four Of Clubs 110 Paulton Rovers 1-0 Winchester City

Disappointing early exit for us. An expensive defeat, but it was always on the cards with an away draw against a side in our league. Things went wrong from the start - a couple of players had to cry off on the morning of the game, we had two injuries in the first half an hour, went one down just before the break, then dominated the second half but couldn't score.

To add insult to injury, our first Saturday home game of the season was going to be against Paulton on 16 September, but now they will be playing the next round of the cup. :evil:

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 05 Sep 2017 10:40

Disappointed to have missed the 2-2 draw between Basingstoke and Hartley Wintney on Saturday (away at Center Parcs).

It's something of a derby for me as I currently live in the former, but was born and raised in the latter.

Did anyone go to the game? There's a replay tonight in Hartley, but I've got prior commitments :cry:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2017 08:50

BraisingsteakRoyal Disappointed to have missed the 2-2 draw between Basingstoke and Hartley Wintney on Saturday (away at Center Parcs).

It's something of a derby for me as I currently live in the former, but was born and raised in the latter.

Did anyone go to the game? There's a replay tonight in Hartley, but I've got prior commitments :cry:

Hartley Witney 1-0 Basingstoke Town

Hartley Witney now face Cinderford in the 2nd Qualifying round.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 06 Sep 2017 09:11

Sutekh
BraisingsteakRoyal Disappointed to have missed the 2-2 draw between Basingstoke and Hartley Wintney on Saturday (away at Center Parcs).

Hartley Witney 1-0 Basingstoke Town

Hartley Witney now face Cinderford in the 2nd Qualifying round.

My son went along to the "A30 El Classico" last night - won by a Sam Argent penalty, setting up a Southern Football League South East vs South West tie in the next round. Exciting times.

Highlight for me was Hartley's twitter feed after the game emphasizing how gracious Basingstoke Town had been in defeat, including "leaving the dressing rooms spotless". A touch of class right there.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Sep 2017 17:37

Been to 2 games at Step 5 level this week.

Brimscombe & Thrupp 4 - 4 Windsor
One of the most pictureseque grounds i have ever been to. Pay it a visit if you ever get the chance, but best to save it for a sunny day, as it was on Saturday. Brimscombe (& Thrupp) are villages in the Frome Valley just outside Stroud. Went for a drive pre kick off through the hills where a main road was also being used by free roaming cows and golfers scrambling wayward tee shots. It looks destined for disaster but it all seemed part of local life.

AFC Wulfrunians 2 - 4 Sporting Khalsa.
Spent a few days in the midlands and took in this Midland Premier League games. Based just west of Wolverhampton, their ground and main stand were built as a training ground for England Rugby Team in early 90s.

The most notable thing about the two games was the stark difference in the ability of the players. If you had to judge based on these two games, The Midland Premier League is miles ahead of The Hellenic League. Despite the high scoring result, the standard in the B&T/Windsor game really was desperately poor. Sporting Khalsa on the other hand looked an excellent outfit and may well go a long way in the FA Vase again. Their well beaten opponents were no mugs either. Both clubs groundsharing later in the season as SK redevelop their ground. SK started out life as a Sunday League side just 25 years ago with mostly Seek players, although the more cultural part of the club seems restricted to their fan base these days!

Linden Jones

by Linden Jones » 08 Sep 2017 18:59

Glad B&T lived up to its billing. Pretty much top of my must tick list.
Conversely went to Corinthian Casuals the other week and found it a bit a of disappointing venue for such an august club.

Midlands non league football is a strange fish. Only Solihull in the Conference nowadays but as you say definitely a hotbed compared to say the Hellenic region. Maybe the new Midland step 3 division will help

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Sep 2017 19:33

Linden Jones ...went to Corinthian Casuals the other week and found it a bit a of disappointing venue for such an august club.

I also found it dreary when I went a few years ago, perhaps not helped being in Tolworth, which makes Slough look like Las Vegas. Unable to find a pub (there isn't one from about two miles) we ended up having a beer in the bar of the bowling alley, just up the road from the ground. The bar offered a view over a patch of wastleland, where the weeds, litter, a chair and a mattress were complemented by the view across to a cornflake packet office block so hideous that even 1960s town planners in Bracknell would have rejected the design for being too ugly.

I do remember them training up a new guy in the tea bar, who looked like Oddbod from Carry On Screaming, only without the sparkling personality.
Last edited by tmesis on 08 Sep 2017 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 Sep 2017 19:33

This w/e's NL games - start of the Vase

Sat 9th Sept

FA Vase 1Q ‘Southern part of the draw
122 Welwyn Garden City v Brackley Town Saints
123 AFC Hayes v Hatfield Town
124 Hillingdon Borough v Marston Shelton Rovers
125 Malmesbury Victoria v Chipping Sodbury Town
126 New College Swindon v Ampthill Town
127 [SUN] Baldock Town v Buckingham Town
128 North Greenford United v Harpenden Town
129 [SUN] Oxford City Nomads v Woodley United
130 [FRI 8th ]Royal Wootton Bassett Town v Fairford Town
131 Clanfield 85 v Holmer Green
132 Colney Heath v Harefield United
133 Abingdon United v Highmoor Ibis
134 Hadley v Milton United
135 Edgware Town v Risborough Rangers
136 Cricklewood Wanderers v Stotfold
137 Crawley Green v Tuffley Rovers
138 Highworth Town v Easington Sports
139 Leighton Town v Brimscombe & Thrupp
140 Ardley United v Longlevens
141 Lydney Town v Winslow United
142 Buckingham Athletic v Bedford
143 Broadfields United v Pitshanger Dynamo
144 Amersham Town v Langford
145 Rochester United v Lancing
146 Southwick v Broadbridge Heath
147 Hollands & Blair v Tooting & Mitcham Wanderers
148 [SUN] AFC Croydon Athletic v Bearsted
149 Eastbourne United v Newhaven
150 Ringmer v AC London
151 [SUN] Erith & Belvedere v Holmesdale
152 Glebe v Deal Town
153 East Preston v Forest Hill Park
154 Sheppey United v Loxwood
155 Oakwood v Langney Wanderers
156 FC Elmstead v Whitstable Town
157 Hailsham Town v Abbey Rangers
158 Banstead Athletic v Fisher
159 Westside v Steyning Town
160 Snodland Town v Horsham YMCA
161 Chessington & Hook United v Lydd Town
162 Worthing United v Horley Town
163 Colliers Wood United v K Sports
164 Bridon Ropes v Wick
165 [SUN] FC Deportivo Galicia v Lewisham Borough (Community) @ Bedfont Sports
166 Walton & Hersham v Little Common
167 Spelthorne Sports v Sutton Athletic
(walkover for Spelthorne Sports – Sutton Athletic removed)

168 CB Hounslow United v Peacehaven & Telscombe
169 St Francis Rangers v Erith Town
170 Seaford Town v Saltdean United
171 Mile Oak v Chertsey Town
172 Arundel v Lordswood
173 Canterbury City v Sutton Common Rovers
174 [SUN] Stansfeld v Bedfont & Feltham - might brave the M25 for this - Stansfeld play at Chislehurst
175 Gravesham Borough v Cobham
176 Tooting Bec v Littlehampton Town
177 AFC Uckfield Town v Raynes Park Vale
178 Redhill v Chatham Town
179 Beckenham Town v Lingfield
180 Bedfont Sports v Three Bridges
181 Tadley Calleva v Andover New Street
182 Shaftesbury v Brockenhurst
183 Horndean v Andover Town
184 Windsor v Devizes Town - visitors from STEP06 - Div One of the Western League- are just above halfway but mostly due to a good home record
185 Hamble Club v Bemerton Heath Harlequins
186 [SUN] Ascot United v Farnham Town
187 Hamworthy United v AFC Stoneham
188 Amesbury Town v New Milton Town
189 East Cowes Victoria Athletic v Calne Town
190 AFC Aldermaston v Romsey Town
191 Petersfield Town v Corsham Town
192 Swanage Town & Herston v Ash United
193 Cove v Westbury United
194 Warminster Town v Folland Sports
195 Knaphill v Sidlesham
196 Pewsey Vale v Chippenham Park
197 Newport (IW) v Fleet Spurs
198 Guildford City v Lymington Town
199 United Services Portsmouth v Verwood Town
200 Ringwood Town v Eversley & California
201 Laverstock & Ford v Fawley
202 Cowes Sports v Baffins Milton Rovers
203 Hythe & Dibden v Bagshot
204 Camelford v Helston Athletic
205 Cullompton Rangers v Torpoint Athletic
206 Wellington AFC v Wells City
207 Cheddar v Radstock Town
208 Bovey Tracey v Keynsham Town
209 Witheridge v Cribbs
210 Plymouth Parkway v Sherborne Town
211 Axminster Town v Crediton United
212 Tavistock v Hallen
213 Almondsbury UWE v Clevedon Town
214 Bitton v Brislington
215 Welton Rovers v Willand Rovers
216 Bridport v Wincanton Town
217 AFC St Austell v Bishops Lydeard
218 Cadbury Heath v St Blazey
219 Roman Glass St George v Elburton Villa
220 Ashton & Backwell United v Godolphin Atlantic

NAT
Aldershot Town v Dover Athletic
FC Halifax Town v Maidenhead United
Maidstone United v Woking
NATS
Chelmsford City v Weston-super-Mare
Concord Rangers v Bath City
Dartford v Chippenham Town
Gloucester City v Havant & Waterlooville
Hemel Hempstead Town v Braintree Town
Hungerford Town v Hampton & Richmond Borough
Oxford City v East Thurrock United
St Albans City v Eastbourne Borough
Truro City v Whitehawk
Wealdstone v Bognor Regis Town
Welling United v Poole Town
NATN
Salford City v Brackley Town

SOUTHP
Basingstoke Town v St Ives Town
Kings Langley v Farnborough
Redditch United v Chesham United
Slough Town
v Dunstable Town
SOUTH1E
AFC Dunstable v Marlow
AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Beaconsfield Town
Arlesey Town v Thame United
Aylesbury United v Hanwell Town
Chalfont St Peter v Bedford Town
Egham Town v Aylesbury
Hartley Wintney v Kempston Rovers
Hayes & Yeading United v Fleet Town
Uxbridge v Ashford Town (Middx)
SOUTH1W
Cinderford Town v Didcot Town
Cirencester Town v Winchester City
Kidlington v Taunton Town
North Leigh v Barnstaple Town

ILP
Dorking Wanderers v Dulwich Hamlet
Folkestone Invicta v Staines Town

CCLP
Epsom & Ewell v Spelthorne Sports
Hanworth Villa v Camberley Town
Westfield
v Godalming Town
CCL1
Badshot Lea v Worcester Park
Kensington Borough v Farleigh Rovers
Sheerwater v Frimley Green
South Park Reserves v Staines Lammas

HELLP
Bracknell Town v Flackwell Heath 3rd v 1st
Burnham
v Binfield
HELL1E
Chalfont Wasps v Wallingford Town AFC
Chinnor
v Sandhurst Town
Didcot Town Reserves v Bicester Town
Thame Rangers v Virginia Water
Wokingham & Emmbrook
v Penn & Tylers Green
HELL1W
Letcombe v North Leigh United

WESSP
Sholing v Alresford Town
WESS1
Whitchurch United v Alton

... got to two games this midweek:

Mon - shunned the delights of 'Southgate's Stutterers' and nipped over to Scours Lane for:
Highmoor/IBIS 2-2 Bracknell Town. Robins fortunate to keep their unbeaten record intact, as H/I really set about them early on and deservedly led 2-0 after 15' with the visitors clearly rattled.
Was a good game with plenty of incident and quite remarkably finished with 11 apiece on the field.
Lights fused on about 87' with scores level - Bracknell had kept their nerve and more importantly their composure under some clever - near but not quite beyond the mark - treatment from their robust hosts on the field - to draw level late on with some incisive attacking.
Young Ref did well in the circumstances, not that Bracknell are not aversed to the 'dark arts'.
Quite literally - during the power failure :lol: as it would have appeared, from some prolonged blasts of the whistle, that there was some 'uppity' going on in the dark. :twisted: :? - the crowd were probably quite upset to have missed out on it.
Thankfully both lights and order were restored after about 10', for the game to be concluded and I was pleased to see there were some handshakes between the teams at the end.

Tue - attended the aforementioned Cup replay at Hartley Wintney - over 600 crowd -in some ways, the young 'stoke visitors were given a lesson in organised defence and quick breaking attacks by The Row.
Didn't quite have the same cut/thrust nor bludgeoning thrills of the previous nights affair - and of course it was involving teams from 1 and 2 levels above - but in a way it was nice to get an indication that Hartley may be able to flourish at their new heights in the S.League.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Sep 2017 12:57

Anyone fathomed out how step 5 fixtures are worked out. Seems very weird in the Hellenic, for example, as after 10 games in the league Bracknell will have played 8 at home and Highworth about 8 away. Are these games actually planned or is it just some kind of lucky dip?

Just seems disorganised to me as it's likely to mean the run in for affected teams to be slightly stacked for or against them plus it can't exactly help them with their monetary flow.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Sep 2017 19:59

Sutekh Anyone fathomed out how step 5 fixtures are worked out. Seems very weird in the Hellenic, for example, as after 10 games in the league Bracknell will have played 8 at home and Highworth about 8 away. Are these games actually planned or is it just some kind of lucky dip?

Just seems disorganised to me as it's likely to mean the run in for affected teams to be slightly stacked for or against them plus it can't exactly help them with their monetary flow.

... I think the simple answer is Cricket. Fairly certain Highworth have a 'temporary' fence up between themselves and the Square but early & late season they have to give way for the 'flanneled fools'. This means of their first dozen league fixtures; 9 are away - they even had to switch their home FA Cup Tie to a Sunday.

Quite a few clubs at STEP06 have to arrange their beginning/end fixtures in this way - not quite so many at the level above.
Also, as per Wet Sham in the Premier, there are a few clubs that have to have swathes of away fixtures for Athletics, where they play in that kind of venue - Guildford City for example.

Presumably the Hellenic League find it easier to give certain clubs an imbalance of home games to compensate - no idea how that is decided - you mention Bracknell but Lydney in the same division, seem to have a lot of home games in Aug//Sep. :?

.... there always has been the "done on the back of a fag-packet" accusation levelled at the League Officials- and I suspect the Hellenic DO work theirs out by hand.

- another fixture quirk that they DID openly get a lot of stick from their member clubs for, were the 'unlit' clubs having early evening midweek fixtures scheduled for August.
A lot of clubs resented travelling for 18:00-18:30 KOs. The obvious solution to avoid 'dark' finishes would have been to restrict those fixtures to floodlit clubs, of which there were adequate numbers, negating the need for earlier starts.

It's not as if any of the lower level divisions, which contain grounds without lights, had enough clubs in total to encounter any fixture congestion - even with recent wet winters wiping out several weeks worth of the fixture calendar.

The challenge at STEP06 presented to the League by the FA over grading, has seen clubs who had slim prospects of ever getting adequate Floodlights where they currently played, drop down to County/Intermediate level - e.g. Finchampstead, Purton, Lambourn, Kintbury, Cricklade, Trowbridge Town etc.

Sadly the few remaining 'unlit' STEP06 clubs may need to follow them in the near future, if the grading enforcement is not relaxed- immediately affected would be (Hellenic) : Penn & Tylers, Chalfont Wasps, Easington, Letcombe, Headington Amateurs & Woodstock Town.

I'm assuming Wok & Emm should eventually get lights up now they have finally had planning permission granted at Lowther Rd?

I think there are only a couple still at risk in the CCL - though a few have side-stepped the issue by groundsharing.

~~~~~~

...since I'm posting - decided to avoid the rain and forsook the dubious pleasures on offer at Thatcham or Windsor ... here's the NL results

National
Ebbsfleet 0-2 Aldersh!t - got a vague idea this is Fleet's first league defeat this calendar year - had won 1 and drawn 8 this season.
Maidenhead 1-0 Tranmere
Woking 2-1 Solihull
Nat-North
Alfreton 1-1 Brackley
Nat-South
(MON) Hungerford 1-2 Bath City
Oxford City 3-3 W-S-M

South-Premier
Banbury 1-3 Redditch
Basingstoke 2-0 Merthyr
Chesham 2-0 Dunstable
Gosport 2-4 Farnboro
Slough 3-0 Hitchin

CCL
Hanworth Villa 1-5 Westfield
Redhill 2-0 Guildford City

HELLP
Flackwell Heath 6 - 0 Highmoor Ibis - Heathens retake top spot in some style - Marcus Mealing in the H/I line up.
Thatcham Town
3 - 1 Ascot United - Thatcham 4th
Wantage Town
3 - 1 Brimscombe & Thrupp - Freds up to 5th
Windsor 3 - 0 Oxford City Nomads - Windsor move up to 6th
- Highworth could go 2nd above Bracknell, if they bt Tuffley tomorrow (Wed) night

HELL1E
Holyport 3-0 Henley Town

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 13 Sep 2017 08:30

Braved* the swirling wind and rain to see Basingstoke vs Merthyr last night.

Merthyr were well on top in the first half - plenty of possession in wide areas but little in terms of quality in the final third. Very few chances for either side.

Second half - despite the deteriorating conditions Basingstoke started to press, win the ball in dangerous areas and create some chances. B'Stoke play with a big carthorse of a No.10 (Ben Wright?) who's only talent seems to be to smash the ball as hard as he can high and wide from 30-odd yards out, but also have an exceptionally quick, slim, young No.9 who got both the goals.

The first goal was a lovely chipped finish over an advancing goalkeeper from the edge of the box, and the second was due to a defensive error where he rounded the 'keeper (who was lucky to stay on the pitch having handled just outside his box) to score.

Only other thing to note is that I was sat near the grandfather of the Merthyr left back Cameron Quinn, who is apparently on loan from Bristol City. Thought he was poor tbf - getting caught in possession a few times and getting well done for pace by the B'Stoke forward.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Sep 2017 12:21

BraisingsteakRoyal Braved* the swirling wind and rain to see Basingstoke vs Merthyr last night.

Merthyr were well on top in the first half - plenty of possession in wide areas but little in terms of quality in the final third. Very few chances for either side.

Second half - despite the deteriorating conditions Basingstoke started to press, win the ball in dangerous areas and create some chances. B'Stoke play with a big carthorse of a No.10 (Ben Wright?) who's only talent seems to be to smash the ball as hard as he can high and wide from 30-odd yards out, but also have an exceptionally quick, slim, young No.9 who got both the goals.

The first goal was a lovely chipped finish over an advancing goalkeeper from the edge of the box, and the second was due to a defensive error where he rounded the 'keeper (who was lucky to stay on the pitch having handled just outside his box) to score.

Only other thing to note is that I was sat near the grandfather of the Merthyr left back Cameron Quinn, who is apparently on loan from Bristol City. Thought he was poor tbf - getting caught in possession a few times and getting well done for pace by the B'Stoke forward.

How many Merthyr fans travelled?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 13 Sep 2017 13:19

Maidenhead edge a hard fought game v Tranmere last night. Game looked destined for 0-0 from the start in all fairness, two combative teams cancelling each other for the most part in poor conditions. Just my kind of game!

Maidenhead started without any strikers due to injuries and departure of Dave tarpey.

Very sad to here Tarpey has done his ACL and out for up to a year. 5 mins into his home debut after packing in his job to go FT. Poor guy must be devastated.
Last edited by Tony Le Mesmer on 13 Sep 2017 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 13 Sep 2017 13:20

John Smith
BraisingsteakRoyal Braved* the swirling wind and rain to see Basingstoke vs Merthyr last night.

How many Merthyr fans travelled?

Only saw (and chatted to) three. They got the same coach down as the team and coaching staff (and i bet there were still a few spare seats...)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2017 13:20

Windsor 3-0 Oxford City Nomads

Very comfortable win, in truth should have at least double that. Barry Hayles didn't get one but was denied 3 times when 1 on 1 with the keeper and had several other decent opportunities.

We are playing some nice football at the moment improving consistently, the most enjoyable run of games I have seen from Windsor for a few years.

I think we will finish near or at the top of Tier 2 of the Hellenic, after Bracknell, Highmoor Ibis, Flackwell and Thatcham.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 13 Sep 2017 16:58

... no idea where my post from Sun/Mon went .... so to catch up here's the results from last w/e - sorry!

Sat 9th Sept

FA Vase 1Q ‘Southern part of the draw’
... very poor showing for most of our 'local' clubs entering at this stage only a small handfull progressed - though we do have a few notable clubs still in with byes to Round 2Q which is to be played w/e 23/09. Will post those ties up later next week.

122 Welwyn Garden City 3-1 Brackley Town Saints
123 AFC Hayes 2-2 Hatfield Town
124 Hillingdon Borough 2-1 Marston Shelton Rovers
125 Malmesbury Victoria 5-3 Chipping Sodbury Town aet
126 New College Swindon 0-10 {TEN} Ampthill Town
127 [SUN] Baldock Town v Buckingham Town
128 North Greenford United 3-4 Harpenden Town
129 [SUN] Oxford City Nomads 3-1 Woodley United
130 [FRI 8th ]Royal Wootton Bassett Town 3-1 Fairford Town
131 Clanfield 85 2-1 Holmer Green - minor upset for STEP06 Hellenic West club beating higher ranked opposition - 'Robins' now travel to Ampthil.l
132 Colney Heath 1-0 Harefield United
133 Abingdon United 1-0 Highmoor Ibis
134 Hadley 2-0 Milton United
135 Edgware Town 2-1 Risborough Rangers
136 Cricklewood Wanderers {SEVEN} 7-2 Stotfold- think that's 19 goals conceded in their two FA Competition matches this season!
137 Crawley Green 2-1 Tuffley Rovers
138 Highworth Town 4-0 Easington Sports - Worthians home to Burnham in next round
139 Leighton Town 3-1 Brimscombe & Thrupp
140 Ardley United 2-4 Longlevens
141 Lydney Town 4-2 Winslow United
142 Buckingham Athletic 1-1 Bedford
143 Broadfields United 3-1 Pitshanger Dynamo
144 Amersham Town 1-3 Langford
145 Rochester United 3-5 Lancing
146 Southwick 2-7 {SEVEN} Broadbridge Heath
147 Hollands & Blair W/O Tooting & Mitcham Wanderers
148 [SUN] AFC Croydon Athletic 2-1 Bearsted
149 Eastbourne United 1-2 Newhaven
150 Ringmer 1-3 AC London
151 [SUN] Erith & Belvedere 4-2 Holmesdale aet FT 2-2
152 Glebe 3-3 Deal Town
153 East Preston 4-4 Forest Hill Park
154 Sheppey United 5-1 Loxwood
155 Oakwood 2-4 Langney Wanderers
156 FC Elmstead 1-5 Whitstable Town
157 Hailsham Town 2-3 Abbey Rangers
158 Banstead Athletic 1-2 Fisher
159 Westside 0-2 Steyning Town
160 Snodland Town 0-3 Horsham YMCA
161 Chessington & Hook United 2-1 Lydd Town
162 Worthing United 2-4 Horley Town
163 Colliers Wood United 0-2 K Sports
164 Bridon Ropes 2-0 Wick
165 [SUN] FC Deportivo Galicia 6-3 Lewisham Borough 2-2
166 Walton & Hersham {SEVEN} 7-1 Little Common
168 CB Hounslow United 2-1 Peacehaven & Telscombe
169 St Francis Rangers 1-1 Erith Town
170 Seaford Town 1-3 Saltdean United
171 Mile Oak 2-1 Chertsey Town
172 Arundel 0-4 Lordswood
173 Canterbury City 4-3 Sutton Common Rovers
174 [SUN] Stansfeld 4-0 Bedfont & Feltham
- went to this - M25 behaved - nice new rebuilt - ground now used by Glebe FC - was formerly owned by a Rugby club now folded Old Elthamians. B&F bottom of CCL1 and easy to see why. Hosts are lower mid table in Div One of SCEL so same level.
175 Gravesham Borough 1-3 Cobham
176 Tooting Bec {SEVEN} 7-1 Littlehampton Town
177 AFC Uckfield Town 2-0 Raynes Park Vale
178 Redhill 1-3 Chatham Town
179 Beckenham Town 3-2 Lingfield
180 Bedfont Sports 1-2 Three Bridges
181 Tadley Calleva 3-2 Andover New Street
182 Shaftesbury 4-5 Brockenhurst aet
183 Horndean 4-3 Andover Town
184 Windsor 2-1 Devizes Town - have a good chance of progressing further as they welcome the struggling 'Jam Boys' (Whitchurch Utd) in Round 2Q
185 Hamble Club 3-1 Bemerton Heath Harlequins
186 [SUN] Ascot United 1-3 Farnham Town
187 Hamworthy United 5-2 AFC Stoneham
188 Amesbury Town 3-0 New Milton Town
189 East Cowes Victoria Athletic 1-3 Calne Town
190 AFC Aldermaston 2-3 Romsey Town
191 Petersfield Town 1-0 Corsham Town
192 Swanage Town & Herston 4-3 Ash United
193 Cove 0-3 Westbury United
194 Warminster Town 3-1 Folland Sports
195 Knaphill 1-0 Sidlesham - Knappers h
196 Pewsey Vale 0-2 Chippenham Park
197 Newport (IW) 5-2 Fleet Spurs
198 Guildford City 1-2 Lymington Town Knappers have a tough one next up, against Wessex Premier outfit Horndean.
199 United Services Portsmouth 2-1 Verwood Town aet
200 Ringwood Town 1-0 Eversley & California
201 Laverstock & Ford 1-2 Fawley
202 Cowes Sports 1-3 Baffins Milton Rovers
203 Hythe & Dibden 4-3 Bagshot
204 Camelford 3-2 Helston Athletic
205 Cullompton Rangers 1-0 Torpoint Athletic
206 Wellington AFC 3-1 Wells City
207 Cheddar 1-3 Radstock Town
208 Bovey Tracey 3-1 Keynsham Town
209 Witheridge 1-9 {NINE} Cribbs
210 Plymouth Parkway 4-1 Sherborne Town
211 Axminster Town 2-4 Crediton United
212 Tavistock 2-0 Hallen
213 Almondsbury UWE 1-2 Clevedon Town
214 Bitton 1-3 Brislington
215 Welton Rovers 0-1 Willand Rovers
216 Bridport 1-2 Wincanton Town
217 AFC St Austell {NINE} 9-1 Bishops Lydeard
218 Cadbury Heath 3-1 St Blazey
219 Roman Glass St George 2-0 Elburton Villa aet
220 Ashton & Backwell United 2-1 Godolphin Atlantic

NAT
Aldershot Town 0-2 Dover Athletic
FC Halifax Town 3-2 Maidenhead United - Magpies trailed 3-0 but grabbed goals back on 79 & 94
Maidstone United 3-1 Woking
NATS
Chelmsford City 1-1 Weston-super-Mare
Concord Rangers 0-1 Bath City
Dartford 3-0 Chippenham Town
Gloucester City 0-1 Havant & Waterlooville
Hemel Hempstead Town 4-3 Braintree Town
Hungerford Town 2-2 Hampton & Richmond Borough - Crusaders fight back from 2 down – leveller from Bignall on 85’
Oxford City 3-3 East Thurrock United
St Albans City 2-2 Eastbourne Borough
Truro City {SEVEN} 7-2 Whitehawk
Wealdstone 3-0 Bognor Regis Town
Welling United 2-0 Poole Town
NATN
Salford City 2-0 Brackley Town first defeat for Saints – joint leaders at KO, Harrogate, won 5-1 at Telford

SOUTHP
Basingstoke Town 3-2 St Ives Town no hangover from their cup upset in midweek
Kings Langley 0-3 Farnborough all of boro’s goals in the last 15’
Redditch United 3-1 Chesham United
Slough Town {EIGHT} 8-1 Dunstable Town - included hat-trick for Bradley Watkins and two for Manny Williams (amongst his many former clubs Maidenhead Utd, Woking, Havant &W,Basingstoke & Hungerford); was 1-1 at H/T – visitors were 2nd bottom with 1 point above ‘pointless’ Gosport Boro
- morning leaders Banbury surprisingly beaten 3-4 at home by Frome are overhauled by Kings Lynn and Sluff
- elsewhere Hereford won 4-1 at Royston with a hat-trick from John Mills and for good measure the 4th was also born from Diddy being notched by Pablo Haysham

SOUTH1E
AFC Dunstable 2-1 Marlow
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1-2 Beaconsfield Town - great result for The Rams, winner from Lossaso on 84
Arlesey Town 2-3 Thame United
Aylesbury United 1-0 Hanwell Town
Chalfont St Peter 0-4 Bedford Town
Egham Town 4-1 Aylesbury
Hartley Wintney 2-1 Kempston Rovers - making a habit of getting late goals – The Row were behind going into the last 5’ but turned it around – up to 3rd.
Hayes & Yeading United 3-0 Fleet Town
Uxbridge 2-4 Ashford Town (Middx)
SOUTH1W
Cinderford Town {SEVEN} 7-1 Didcot Town
Cirencester Town 1-0 Winchester City
Kidlington
2-2 Taunton Town
North Leigh 5-0 Barnstaple Town

ILP
Dorking Wanderers 0-1 Dulwich Hamlet
Folkestone Invicta 2-0 Staines Town

CCLP
Epsom & Ewell 1-5 Spelthorne Sports
Hanworth Villa 1-2 Camberley Town
Westfield {SEVEN} 7-2 Godalming Town
CCL1
Badshot Lea 4-4 Worcester Park
Kensington Borough 2-3 Farleigh Rovers
Sheerwater 1-1 Frimley Green
South Park Reserves 1-3 Staines Lammas

HELLP
Bracknell Town 3-2 Flackwell Heath Robins leap to top spot, above their visitors on GD
Burnham 1-4 Binfield
HELL1E
Chalfont Wasps 2-1 Wallingford Town AFC
Chinnor
0-6 Sandhurst Town
Didcot Town Reserves 1-1 Bicester Town
Thame Rangers 1-1 Virginia Water
Wokingham & Emmbrook 1-2 Penn & Tylers Green att 72 and Sumas appeared to have both their subs sent off :shock:
HELL1W
Letcombe 0-0 North Leigh United
Shrivenham 3-1 Headington Amateurs

WESSP
Sholing 2-0 Alresford Town
WESS1
Whitchurch United 0-4 Alton

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Sep 2017 19:48

Tony Le Mesmer Maidenhead edge a hard fought game v Tranmere last night. Game looked destined for 0-0 from the start in all fairness, two combative teams cancelling each other for the most part in poor conditions. Just my kind of game!

Maidenhead started without any strikers due to injuries and departure of Dave tarpey.

Very sad to here Tarpey has done his ACL and out for up to a year. 5 mins into his home debut after packing in his job to go FT. Poor guy must be devastated.

I went to the game with a local Tranmere fan who watches Maidenhead regularly, and his daughter, who didn't know who to support. We went in the seats (in the disabled section, as there weren't three seats that weren't unreserved*). I did like that the stewarding, and their desire for a sterile zone between the home and away fans, meant that for much of the game on this rainy night the Tranmere fans stood at a partially covered end, not allowed to stand in the one portion of it that possessed a roof.

* a steward came up to us, we thought to make us move, but instead he asked if the one remaining seat was taken, as a (nearly) blind man and his guide dog needed somewhere to watch the game from. Towards the end of the game, the guide dog was whimpering, and most of those watching probably knew how he felt.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2017 08:46

Tony Le Mesmer Very sad to here Tarpey has done his ACL and out for up to a year. 5 mins into his home debut after packing in his job to go FT. Poor guy must be devastated.

It is sad, but one would imagine he'll still get paid for the length of his contract and get pretty decent help with his rehab.

A 25yo guy playing for my village team 1st 11 on Sunday morning broke his leg in 2 places with 6 individual breaks - so shattered I guess.

He's a self-employed painter decorator with a mortgage. Fcuked basically.

Away from the rarified world of pro football there will be similar stories up and down the country this week.

We won't hear about them of course but I guess they are the guys who really deserve our sympathy.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Sep 2017 09:42

Royal Rother
Tony Le Mesmer Very sad to here Tarpey has done his ACL and out for up to a year. 5 mins into his home debut after packing in his job to go FT. Poor guy must be devastated.

It is sad, but one would imagine he'll still get paid for the length of his contract and get pretty decent help with his rehab.

A 25yo guy playing for my village team 1st 11 on Sunday morning broke his leg in 2 places with 6 individual breaks - so shattered I guess.

Away from the rarified world of pro football there will be similar stories up and down the country this week.

We won't hear about them of course but I guess they are the guys who really deserve our sympathy.

This is very true. Played Sunday football with someone who busted their shoulder. He was a self employed carpet fitter. We ended up having whip round for him, but even that didn't go very far. Very tough.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2017 12:08

Tony Le Mesmer
Royal Rother

This is very true. Played Sunday football with someone who busted their shoulder. He was a self employed carpet fitter. We ended up having whip round for him, but even that didn't go very far. Very tough.

Just out of interest re : Sunday football, are we talking organised leagues/cups affiliated to the FA in some way or just a friendly kick about with some mates?

If the former, doesn't the club for which someone is playing have to provide insurance for such things or is that really cost prohibitive at that level? If it's cost prohibitive and the competition is FA affiliated one would hope that some of the money that they rake in from everywhere could be used to help support players at that level who hit hardship through an injury suffered while playing.

10545 posts