The Non - League thread

10516 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Non - League thread

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Dec 2017 08:10

Larkhall Athletic 2 -3 Taunton Town.

Bucket list ground ticked off. A completely unique venue that even my satnav struggled to find, cut into the hillside on the outskirts of Bath.

Worth the trip if you ever get the chance.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2017 08:37

Pretty miserable FA Cup second round for non league clubs. A few draws was about it, and I believe we could see a 3rd Round with no non league clubs participating. Has that ever happened before?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2017 09:48

Sutekh Pretty miserable FA Cup second round for non league clubs. A few draws was about it, and I believe we could see a 3rd Round with no non league clubs participating. Has that ever happened before?

Twice - 1946/47 and 1950/51.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 04 Dec 2017 12:44

Royal Rother Walton & Hersham 1-2 Windsor

Unbelievable.

Superb game. W&H had much the better of the 1st half, calling our keeper to make 3 excellent saves, and defenders to make 2 goal line clearances and another last ditch tackle / block.

We came out with much more intent in the 2nd half and although still under the cosh at times, were shading it until we went 1 down with about 15 Minutes left.

Substitutions and a change of formation and we started to pour on the pressure and after 87 mins got just rewards when a header looped over the keeper, hit the top of the cross bar, almost bounced on it a 2nd time, but was nodded home on the line by teenage midfielder Bradley Pearce.

Windsor had the momentum and created several more chances although W&H still had a chance to win as the game was fully stretched. Then in the 95th minute with virtually the last kick of the game Pearce got his 2nd with a cracking strike at the near post.

Cue memorable celebrations - best fun at a Windsor game for many years.

You coming to the Lane tomorrow night? I know quite a few are going so should be a decent crowd.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Dec 2017 12:55

FA Vase draw:

Eastbourne Town v Windsor
Blackfield & Langley v Bracknell Town
Thatcham Town v Biggleswade

Tough draws all round. Looks like draw stayed regional.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Dec 2017 13:51

Tony Le Mesmer FA Vase draw:

Agreed, all clubs appear to be step 5 clubs so not easy for anyone involved.

Eastbourne Town (oldest "senior" club in Sussex apparently) play in the Southern Combination. They lie 5th in the Premier Division.

Blackfield & Langley play in the Wessex League and are 2nd in the Premier Division 10 points adrift of leaders Andover Town

Biggleswade (not to be confused with Biggleswade Town) are members of the Spartan South Midland League. They're currently 5th and have won 6 of their 10 away games.

On paper would say Bracknell have the hardest tie.

Games scheduled for Saturday 6th January.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Dec 2017 15:36

Warfield ED Stand
Royal Rother Walton & Hersham 1-2 Windsor

Unbelievable.

Superb game. W&H had much the better of the 1st half, calling our keeper to make 3 excellent saves, and defenders to make 2 goal line clearances and another last ditch tackle / block.

We came out with much more intent in the 2nd half and although still under the cosh at times, were shading it until we went 1 down with about 15 Minutes left.

Substitutions and a change of formation and we started to pour on the pressure and after 87 mins got just rewards when a header looped over the keeper, hit the top of the cross bar, almost bounced on it a 2nd time, but was nodded home on the line by teenage midfielder Bradley Pearce.

Windsor had the momentum and created several more chances although W&H still had a chance to win as the game was fully stretched. Then in the 95th minute with virtually the last kick of the game Pearce got his 2nd with a cracking strike at the near post.

Cue memorable celebrations - best fun at a Windsor game for many years.

You coming to the Lane tomorrow night? I know quite a few are going so should be a decent crowd.

Yes indeed.

We’ve been in great form recently (10 wins in 11) but after the high of Saturday I reckon we just might struggle to quite raise ourselves enough for this game against a big-spending team that we’d have to be at our very best to hold.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Dec 2017 16:12

Sutekh Pretty miserable FA Cup second round for non league clubs. A few draws was about it, and I believe we could see a 3rd Round with no non league clubs participating. Has that ever happened before?
yeah, got to feel for oxf*rd City being done in the 96th minute having come back twice against a very well paid Notts County side.

Can see Hereford despatching Fleetwood at Edgar Street mind.

Good luck to Slay tonight...a really tall order and not one that either side would relish a replay for.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Dec 2017 22:35

Sutekh

On paper would say Bracknell have the hardest tie.

Games scheduled for Saturday 6th January.

...agree on the view that 'The Robins' look to have the toughest of the draw - B&L have been big-hitters in a strong league for the last few seasons - finished top six in the last five and are hard on the heels of leaders Andover Town this.

Don't know much about Eastbourne Town - are one of three clubs based in the town - 'Borough' the foremost in the Pyramid and 'United Association' the other - not to mention at least two others clubs from the ex-Sussex league that are temporarily 'lodging' in groundshare schemes there. Little Common at 'United' - and I cannot remember the other one. :|

Town had a 7 year spell up at STEP04 without really hitting any heights. Expect the travelling might play a factor for Windsor.

Know even less about Biggleswade FC - certainly undergone a meteoric rise since formation as a Senior club only a couple of years ago - here's a snippet from the NLM regarding their joining the SSML before the start of last season:

"Biggleswade" is joining SSMFL Division One (Step 6) next season. It's last season's Biggleswade Town U18s who won stuff in the Thurlow Nunn Youth leagues. They will be groundsharing with Biggleswade Town but are a separate club (a third senior club for Biggleswade!).

- won Div One at their first attempt scoring 140 goals in the process and are making a decent fist of their debut at STEP05.

Only CCL Survivor (Horley Town) drew Chichester City currently 2nd in SCLP (ex-Sussex)
Other vaguely local survivors Leighton Town got a home draw with the last southern STEP06 side and only club left from the Eastern Counties, Norwich C.B.S

There are two other Wessex clubs left in Newport IoW & Hamble Club - and two Western League reps Melksham Town & Bradford Town.

Three previous winners (Sholing, North Shields and Whitley Bay) were culled in the last round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...and finally Highmoor/IBIS continue to struggle going down 0-3 at Scours tonight to Ab Utd in the Hellenic Premier.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2017 08:17

Town had a 7 year spell up at STEP04 without really hitting any heights. Expect the travelling might play a factor for Windsor.

Travelling for these Cup games seems to suit Windsor.

Manager Mick Woodham has expressed a preference to be drawn away as he feels it suits our game plan. I can see what he’s getting at but I would always want a home draw personally.

Have to say though, the away day wins are definitely great fun.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Dec 2017 09:25

Four Of Clubs
Sutekh
Three previous winners (Sholing, North Shields and Whitley Bay) were culled in the last round.
indeed, North Shields turned over 3-1 by Newcastle Benfield courtesy of a (40 year old) Paul Brayson hat trick

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2017 13:05

Good Lord!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Dec 2017 13:08

Has scored and still continues to score absolutely craploads in the non-league scene tbf (59 in 77 for Blyth Spartans alone..for example).

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Dec 2017 22:56

... plenty of goals about this evening - the most notable scores....

NATS Oxford City 3-1 Truro

SLP Chesham 5-1 Frome

HSC Winchester City 3-3 Basingstoke Town- H win 7-6 pens

HELLP
Bracknell Town 5-0 Windsor - 2 from Bennet - Robins 4 up by HT
Flackwell Heath 1-5 Thatcham Town - - got up to this - 2 early Shane Cooper Clark pens saw Kingsfishers on the way to a big win over rivals Heathens - early days perhaps but they seem to have lost their way a bit under Marcus - certainly lacked a competitive edge in this game. Have undergone a large turnover of players that had been successful here for a long period.
By contrast the visitors look to be gathering a force that may rival Bracknell in the chase after Highworth for the title - 2 sides could well go up at the end of this season. I wouldn't rule out Wantage yet either, as they have title winning experience about them.
On tonight's evidence it's hard to make a case for Flackwell lasting the pace.

... and finally some sad news - Henley Town have called it a day and resigned from the Hellenic League with immediate effect. :( :( :( Club's Commitee made the decision after an EGM last night and the news was released this evening.

- I hope they can come back in some form or other before long and that the ground at Mill Lane isn't swallowed up by development.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2017 08:33

Bracknell 5-0 Windsor

A good old stuffing.

Bracknell were very impressive all over the park.

We attempted to play football the right way, plenty of quite intricate passing that was pleasant on the eye but it was like they were 2 or 3 leagues above us. Quicker in body and mind and it seemed like they had more players than us.

The youngster Sutherland is a weakness at right back, bit part player at best and he was exposed time and again. But he is a teenager and part of what is, with 3 or 4 obvious exceptions, a very young side. 7 teenagers featured last night.

Barry Hayles missed 2 or 3 pretty decent chances. The fact that Adam Kirby, who was the outstanding player for Chalfont St Peter (a League above us) when we beat them in a Cup earlier this season, is on Bracknell’s bench says it all.

Getting stuffed won’t do us any harm - it shows where we need to be to compete at the top of the league.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 06 Dec 2017 09:22

Royal Rother Bracknell 5-0 Windsor

A good old stuffing.

Bracknell were very impressive all over the park.

We attempted to play football the right way, plenty of quite intricate passing that was pleasant on the eye but it was like they were 2 or 3 leagues above us. Quicker in body and mind and it seemed like they had more players than us.

The youngster Sutherland is a weakness at right back, bit part player at best and he was exposed time and again. But he is a teenager and part of what is, with 3 or 4 obvious exceptions, a very young side. 7 teenagers featured last night.

Barry Hayles missed 2 or 3 pretty decent chances. The fact that Adam Kirby, who was the outstanding player for Chalfont St Peter (a League above us) when we beat them in a Cup earlier this season, is on Bracknell’s bench says it all.

Getting stuffed won’t do us any harm - it shows where we need to be to compete at the top of the league.

Your RB was up against Seb who has been outstanding all season. I briefly spoke to the Chairman last night who was very worried that there seemed to be people from other clubs there looking at him. Will be interesting to see what he does to keep him. We keep on winning and that is without TJ as well. Looking good :D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2017 17:40

Best team we’ve played in the league by far but that should be the case there is any truth in the rumour that Bracknell are paying around £150pw for players.

My little knowledge of ex Windsor & Eton players now at Bracknell suggests that may well be the case.

Promotion is not guaranteed. I have no problem with chairmen putting their money where their mouth is and it seems the guy has a plan and clear vision of where he wants to go but do you think this level of spending is sustainable, particularly if promotion is not achieved?

I heard a couple of Bracknell supporters outside the ground (well, they weren’t Windsor anyway) discussing what they felt was the madness of spending all this money on Larges Lane only to upsticks soon after... is that a shared concern?

(Windsor have zero playing Budget by the way.)

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 07 Dec 2017 08:32

Royal Rother Best team we’ve played in the league by far but that should be the case there is any truth in the rumour that Bracknell are paying around £150pw for players.

My little knowledge of ex Windsor & Eton players now at Bracknell suggests that may well be the case.

Promotion is not guaranteed. I have no problem with chairmen putting their money where their mouth is and it seems the guy has a plan and clear vision of where he wants to go but do you think this level of spending is sustainable, particularly if promotion is not achieved?

I heard a couple of Bracknell supporters outside the ground (well, they weren’t Windsor anyway) discussing what they felt was the madness of spending all this money on Larges Lane only to upsticks soon after... is that a shared concern?

Yes. Many, if not most share that concern. I think promotion this year is absolutely vital for the vision he has is to succeed. Players are being paid, but I have no idea how much. I am sure TJ didn't leave submarine and burden himself with an 80 mile round trip to home games just because he missed the lads for instance!!
If they fail, I can assure you that "What will happen?" will be being asked by everyone!!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Dec 2017 08:43

I see Glenn Tamplin has gone on the sick list at Billericay. Standing down from some duties for 3 months.

Its started.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2017 08:55

Warfield ED Stand
Royal Rother Best team we’ve played in the league by far but that should be the case there is any truth in the rumour that Bracknell are paying around £150pw for players.

Yes. Many, if not most share that concern. I think promotion this year is absolutely vital for the vision he has is to succeed. Players are being paid, but I have no idea how much. I am sure TJ didn't leave submarine and burden himself with an 80 mile round trip to home games just because he missed the lads for instance!!
If they fail, I can assure you that "What will happen?" will be being asked by everyone!!

Upsticks soon after? Don't think that's likely.

Larges Lane needed to have something done to it so that more income could be made from hiring it out and the bar and stop games being regularly postponed just because of a heavy dew forming. So the money spent makes sense and, hopefully, should give the team a base on which to build for promotion back to the Southern/Isthmian Leagues.

Yes they would probably need to move if they were considering promotion beyond the Southern/Isthmian but when you consider the state of York Road even that might not be necessary and will be many years off yet anyway.

The chap running the club wants to get them back to the SL and ideally and see what happens from there but I haven't heard of any proverbial "x year plans" to get them to there or beyond.

IMO if you splash cash at steps 4, ,5 ,6, 7 etc. then promotion can be fairly easily achieved, if it's not happening then I would say the level of investment is nearer sensible than silly so long as the club is showing progression, which appears to be the case at Bracknell.

10516 posts