The Non - League thread

10513 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2018 09:48

Four Of Clubs ... just a bit of tidying up 8) - proper review posted sometime tomorrow....

Tad Showbiz Also some FA Vase Round 4 fixtures to complete today with some 'local interest...

(replay)
Coleshill Town 1-1 Newcastle Benfield aet - Coleshill W3-2 on pens - home to Bracknell Town

Marske United 5-0 Hinckley AFC - favourites easily through to next round to face ....

Newport IW 0-1 Bradford Town

... all three attendances above the 200 mark.

Bet Bracknell are relieved! A trip to just north east of the M6/M42 junction as opposed to Newcastle. But it's no easier a game. Coleshill were semi finalists in the Vase last season and have been league runners up in the Midland Premier for the last two years

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Jan 2018 11:15

The aforementioned Highworth, Thatcham and Bracknell are all paying comparative fortunes out in wages so it is no surprise that they look like being Top 3.

The pressure will be intense on them to gain promotion - it would be wrong to think otherwise. No Chairman pays out tens of thousands a year to players and management just because he likes to support the local economy / keep young men off the street on a Saturday afternoon / watching good football.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Jan 2018 11:28

Flackwell Heath 3-1 Windsor

Windsor were pretty much in command at 1-0 when young midfielder (ex RFC Academy) Jack Denton got a 2nd yellow for a daft challenge in the 42nd minute right in front of me.

That totally changed the game and Flackwell came out and scored 3 in 10 minutes early in the 2nd half. 2 from Charlie Samuel, ex Windsor, Ascot etc., and ex Chelsea Academy. There is a player far too good for this level but everywhere he goes he causes problems. Shame.

Although the 2nd yellow was certainly deserved the ref was not particularly impressive - his management was crap resulting in players squealing every time they got touched. He didn’t deal with it well, illustrated by, despite having at least 6 mins lost to stoppages in the 1st half he blew smack on 45 mins.

Disappointing result but we had 1 player making his 1st start of the season and another bit player (manager’s son) his 1st in 2 months so to have been in charge before the red can be taken as some kind of a plus against a team above us in the league.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2018 13:02

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews From what I gather (from speaking to the ex juniors Chairman) there was a row after the final game of last season when Bracknell blew their chance to win the league that resulted in the owner and manager no longer being on speaking terms. There was friction throughout the summer over players in or out (TJ Bohane being the biggest problem) and after the Thatcham defeat Tallentire walked.

That is of course second hand information so could be completely wrong but it was from someone who is far closer to the club than I am.

Not knocking the info, their ambition, or your input, but I just don't quite see how the no pressure from the chairman quite stacks up with the way Tallentire was treated and especially if it was a fall out over team selection.

Bracknell won 3 cup finals at the end of last season and finished 2nd in the league (to an excellent Thame side from what I saw) having won all but 2 of their last 15/20 games. If a Chairman can fall out with a manager after that run because they didn't win the last league game (against another excellent side in Highworth who sit top of the league this year incidentally) then I'd say there's a reasonable amount of pressure on a manager to perform, and perform how the Chairman thinks too.

I really hope Bracknell manage to get promotion by the way. The town is more than big enough to support a better performing club and it looks like they've got the ambition and organisation to do something about it.

Yeah I think the town could only benefit from having the club getting higher up the ladder. With all the redevelopment happening in the town centre it's would be nice to see the football club improving alongside the infrastructure of the town itself. The club are doing a lot right and are in safe hands. They are some way off "doing a Maidenhead" but I think it will definitely happen in my lifetime.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 14 Jan 2018 20:36

Results Saturday 13th January

FA Trophy 2nd Round
01 Ebbsfleet United 1-1 Warrington Town
02 Kidderminster Harriers 2-2 Stockport County
03 East Thurrock United 1-0 Chester
04 Bognor Regis Town 1-2 Leyton Orient
05 Brackley Town 0-0 Barrow
06 Weston super Mare 1-1 Workington
07 Billericay Town 3-2 Stourbridge
08 F.C. Halifax Town 1-4 Maidenhead United
09 Maidstone United 2-1 Heybridge Swifts
10 Dover Athletic 4-3 Marine
11 Gateshead 3-3 Boreham Wood
12 Wealdstone 1-0 Hereford att 909
13 Sutton United 3-0 Hendon
14 Blyth Spartans 1-4 Bromley
15 Spennymoor 2-0 Solihull Moors
16 St. Albans City 1-1 Harrogate Town

NAT
Woking 0-1 Tranmere Rovers
NATS
Chelmsford City 1-1 Bath City
Chippenham Town 1-1 Braintree Town
Dartford 1-0 Havant & Waterlooville
Eastbourne Borough 1-2 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Hemel Hempstead Town 1-2 Hungerford Town - all goals in the 2nd half - HH led but Crusaders got a welcome three point s through Bignall and Hopper
Oxford City 0-1 Whitehawk
Truro City PP Concord Rangers waterlogged

ILP
Lowestoft Town 0-0 Dorking Wanderers
Thurrock 0-2 Staines Town - 'Massive' up to 3rd behind Dulwich and 'moneybags' 'ricay

SLP
Chesham United 4-1 Basingstoke Town
Farnborough
2-2 Merthyr Town - all four goals in the last ¼ of the match
SL1E
Ashford Town (Middx) 1-3 AFC Dunstable
Aylesbury 0-2 Chalfont St Peter
Barton Rovers 0-2 Aylesbury United
Beaconsfield Town 3-2 Cambridge City
Bedford Town 2-1 Egham Town
Fleet Town
0-4 AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Hanwell Town 2-4 Hartley Wintney
Kempston Rovers 4-1 Uxbridge
Marlow 3-0 Moneyfields
Northwood 3-1 Arlesey Town
Thame United 0-1 Hayes & Yeading United
SL1W
Bristol Manor Farm 1-0 Kidlington
Didcot Town
4-0 Cirencester Town
Salisbury 2-0 North Leigh
Swindon Supermarine 0-5 Bideford
Winchester City 3-1 Larkhall Athletic

CCLP
AFC Hayes PP Colliers Wood United - waterlogged
Balham 2-1 Chertsey Town
Bedfont Sports 4-2 Guildford City
CB Hounslow United 1-0 Sutton Common Rovers
Godalming Town 1-2 Epsom & Ewell
Hanworth Villa 0-2 Walton & Hersham
Horley Town 1-1 Farnham Town
North Greenford United 4-1 Knaphill
Redhill 1-1 Camberley Town
Spelthorne Sports 1-0 Banstead Athletic
Westfield 3-0 Abbey Rangers
ESOTERIC RECORDS DIVISION ONE CHALLENGE CUP – 2nd Round
Sheerwater 5-2 Farleigh Rovers

CCL1
Badshot Lea 3-0 Kensington Borough
Bagshot 2-0 FC Deportivo Galicia
Bedfont & Feltham 1-1 Fleet Spurs
Cove
0-1 AC London
Eversley & California 1-2 Ash United
Raynes Park Vale 0-1 Cobham
Staines Lammas 3-0 South Park Reserves
Worcester Park 4-3 Frimley Green - reportedly FG led 0-3 with 1/2 hr left.

HELLP
Bracknell Town 4-1 Lydney Town
Brimscombe & Thrupp 2-0 Woodley United
Fairford Town 1-3 Oxford City Nomads
Flackwell Heath 3-1 Windsor
Longlevens 2-0 Highmoor Ibis
Thatcham Town
{SIX} 6-0 Royal Wootton Bassett Town
Tuffley Rovers 2-0 Abingdon United
Wantage Town
4-0 Ascot United
HELL1E
Chalfont Wasps 2-3 Bicester Town
AFC Aldermaston 1-1 Didcot Town Reserves
Sandhurst Town 3-2 Penn & Tylers Green
Virginia Water {SIX} 6-0 Milton United

WESSP
Alresford Town 1-3 Lymington Town
Hamble Club 2-2 Andover Town
Horndean 4-2 Petersfield Town
WESS1
Christchurch 2-1 Whitchurch United - JamBoys led but succumbed to two late goals
Downton 0-3 Alton
Fawley 4-0 Andover New Street
New Milton Town 1-5 Tadley Calleva - Tadley take over top spot as ANS falter badly at struggling Fawley

- We headed into Sussex for a another tick in the Isthmian at Shoreham 0-2 Phoenix Sports
- the hosts are rock-bottom and have already had 6 points deducted; somewhat harshly bearing in mind they lost in BOTH games they fielded a ‘ringer’. Mildly ironic as they were promoted in the place of a side who’d lost points at the end of last term due to similar irregularities. (Haywards Heath)
- The ‘Musselmen’ will very probably be swapping places with them again, as they’ll be dropping into the Southern Combination (Sussex) leagues for 18-19 season
- Ground a bit careworn but decent enough clubhouse – though bizarrely the draught ale was from Sweden!
- - fair amount of seating and good number of parking spaces
- M23 had w/e closures so we came back cross country and had a delightful pit-stop at the Crown Inn, Chiddingfold.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 15 Jan 2018 15:48

FA Trophy 3rd round draw

Maidenhead United v Kidderminster Harriers/Stockport County
St Albans City/Harrogate Town v Billericay Town
Brackley Town/Barrow AFC v Sutton United
Wealdstone v Ebbsfleet United/Warrington Town
Maidstone United v Gateshead/Boreham Wood
Weston-super-Mare/Workington AFC v Bromley
Dover Athletic v Leyton Orient
Spennymoor Town v East Thurrock United

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2018 16:29

Can someone explain to me the rules around the FA Trophy - Orient's game went to extra time on Saturday, yet some of the other games that finished level go to a replay...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2018 17:27

John Smith Can someone explain to me the rules around the FA Trophy - Orient's game went to extra time on Saturday, yet some of the other games that finished level go to a replay...

It’s down to agreement between the clubs I believe....

“Extra Time in First Matches
If a first match is drawn after 90 minutes, an extra 30 minutes may be played (15 minutes each way). The agreement for the playing of extra time shall be agreed in writing between both Clubs and confirmed in writing by the Home Club to The Association on The Match Arrangement Form which must be received by The Association within seven days of the date of the draw and notified to the Referee on the Official Team Sheet no later than 45 minutes prior to kick-off.”

Christof

by Christof » 17 Jan 2018 19:18

RIP Super Kev McGoldrick, Slough Town physio from 1985-2018 :cry:

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 18 Jan 2018 07:34

Royal Rother
John Smith Can someone explain to me the rules around the FA Trophy - Orient's game went to extra time on Saturday, yet some of the other games that finished level go to a replay...

If a first match is drawn after 90 minutes, an extra 30 minutes may be played (15 minutes each way). The agreement for the playing of extra time shall be agreed in writing between both Clubs and confirmed in writing by the Home Club to The Association on The Match Arrangement Form which must be received by The Association within seven days of the date of the draw and notified to the Referee on the Official Team Sheet no later than 45 minutes prior to kick-off.”

Correct. Take a look at Weston-Super-Mare who made the same request in advance of their home tie vs Workington Town who refused. Game drawn so Weston had a 620 mile round trip on Tuesday.

It when this happens the FA probably need to take a look at updating the rules.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/sport/football/weston-super-mare-face-620-mile-round-trip-after-workington-force-replay-in-fa-trophy-1-5355743

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/sport/football/weston-super-mare-defeated-by-workington-in-fa-trophyweston-super-mare-defeated-by-workington-in-fa-trophy-1-5359064

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Jan 2018 10:01

Tad Showbiz
Royal Rother

Correct. Take a look at Weston-Super-Mare who made the same request in advance of their home tie vs Workington Town who refused. Game drawn so Weston had a 620 mile round trip on Tuesday.

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/sport/football/weston-super-mare-face-620-mile-round-trip-after-workington-force-replay-in-fa-trophy-1-5355743

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/sport/football/weston-super-mare-defeated-by-workington-in-fa-trophyweston-super-mare-defeated-by-workington-in-fa-trophy-1-5359064

Thing is, its rarely in the away teams best interests to play to a finish in the original tie. Chances are Workington would be out now if they'd agreed. I'd actually never even noticed it happening at all in the Trophy until this season.

I'm not a fan of replays anyway though. A cup tie is often described as a one off and should be exactly that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2018 13:36

Tony Le Mesmer
Tad Showbiz
Royal Rother

Thing is, its rarely in the away teams best interests to play to a finish in the original tie. Chances are Workington would be out now if they'd agreed. I'd actually never even noticed it happening at all in the Trophy until this season.

I'm not a fan of replays anyway though. A cup tie is often described as a one off and should be exactly that.

Funny. I feel that way about all cup competitions except the FA Cup which I think should be just the opposite and if it takes 27 replays to decide a tie then so be it. But then I remember the times when if an FA Cup game was drawn the replay was the follwing midweek and if that was drawn it was the soonest gap after that and then if it meant playing Monday and Thursday or Monday and then Wednesday to sort it out then that's what was done.

Fun days.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Jan 2018 17:12

But of course in those days the squads were much bigger, there were huge numbers of backroom staff using the latest technology in management of bespoke diets and fitness regimes for each player so inevitably those players were much fitter.

In these less fortunate times, teams are completely unable to cope with such a heavy workload so it is only reasonable that the big clubs get their wish and replays soon become a thing of the past.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2018 20:58

Sutekh if it takes 27 replays to decide a tie then so be it. But then I remember the times when if an FA Cup game was drawn the replay was the follwing midweek and if that was drawn it was the soonest gap after that and then if it meant playing Monday and Thursday or Monday and then Wednesday to sort it out then that's what was done.

Fun days.

You'd have loved our 89/90 FA Cup season.

1st Round
Bristol Rovers 1 Reading 1
Reading 1 Bristol Rovers 1
Bristol Rovers 0 Reading 1

2nd Round
Reading 0 Welling 0
Welling 1 Reading 1
Reading 0 Welling 0
Welling 1 Reading 2

3rd Round
Reading 2 Sunderland 1

4th Round
Reading 3 Newcastle 3
Newcastle 4 Reading 1

for extra travelling fan joy, we'd also played up at Newcastle a few weeks earlier, in the League Cup, and let in 4 that day too.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2018 21:01

Royal Rother In these less fortunate times, teams are completely unable to cope with such a heavy workload so it is only reasonable that the big clubs get their wish and replays soon become a thing of the past.

It was actually the police that caused the change, deciding they'd require more than a week's notice for games, so the days of a replay being on the Tuesday after the first game were over. A game going to two or three replays would take far too long to complete.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2018 21:02

Hotly remember the Newcastle 3-3 at EP

And the fight in the Dilraj Tandoori later that night

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Jan 2018 10:59

'Local' NL programme for this PM

…plenty of postponements – I’ve only listed games currently ON and expect a fair few more to be culled when the match refs inspect early PM - will try and update if I get time :?

Saturday 20th January

NAT
Aldershot Town v Ebbsfleet United
Solihull Moors v Woking
Tranmere Rovers v Maidenhead United
NATN
Tamworth v Brackley Town
NATS
Bath City v Concord Rangers
Bognor Regis Town v Wealdstone
Braintree Town v Hemel Hempstead Town
Chippenham Town v Dartford
East Thurrock United v Oxford City
Eastbourne Borough v St Albans City
Hampton & Richmond Borough PP Hungerford Town
Poole Town v Welling United
Whitehawk v Truro City

ILP
Dorking Wanderers v Harlow Town

SLP
Banbury United v Basingstoke Town
Biggleswade Town v Slough Town
Farnborough
v Dunstable Town
Royston Town v Chesham United
SL1E
AFC Dunstable v Chalfont St Peter
Arlesey Town v Hayes & Yeading United
Ashford Town (Middx) v Hanwell Town
Aylesbury United v Moneyfields
Beaconsfield Town v Bedford Town
Egham Town PP Kempston Rovers
SL1W
Didcot Town v Bristol Manor Farm

CCLP
Bedfont Sports v Spelthorne Sports
Camberley Town v Hanworth Villa
Chertsey Town v Knaphill
14:00 Colliers Wood United v Abbey Rangers
Epsom & Ewell v Balham
Guildford City v Walton & Hersham
Redhill v CB Hounslow United
Westfield v AFC Hayes
CCL1
Ash United v Worcester Park
Chessington & Hook United v South Park Reserves
Eversley & California v Badshot Lea
Fleet Spurs
v Cove
Frimley Green
v AC London
Kensington Borough v Cobham

HELLP
Abingdon United v Bracknell Town
Highmoor Ibis
v Ascot United
Royal Wootton Bassett Town v Flackwell Heath
Thatcham Town
v Lydney Town
Windsor v Brimscombe & Thrupp
HELL1E
14:15 Chalfont Wasps PP Chinnor
Bicester TownPP Wallingford Town AFC
Holyport
PP Milton United
Sandhurst Town
PP Wokingham & Emmbrook
Challenge Cup
13:45 Penn & Tylers Green v Easington Sports

- result from midweek - Binfield bt Woodley 3-0 @ Stubbs last night and on Wednesday Highworth suffered only their 2nd league reverse in a shock 2-4 defeat at home to Ab Utd - who were bolstered by the loan signing of OUFC player Dejon Noel-Williams. On the previous night (Tue) Flackwell edged out Nomads 3-2 at Court Place Farm to go 4th above Bracknell.
- A win today for 2nd placed Thatcham - providing their game goes ahead - would close the gap to 3points and add spice to the big clash of 1st v 2nd at the Elms next Wednesday night - weather permitting. A win for the visitors their would see them leapfrog Highworth on GD.

WESS1
Verwood Town v Alton
Whitchurch United
v Laverstock & Ford

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 20 Jan 2018 22:07

Results from games that beat the weather today:-

Sat 20th Jan

NAT
Aldershot Town 0-0 Ebbsfleet United
Solihull Moors 3-0 Woking
Tranmere Rovers 3-2 Maidenhead United
NATN
Tamworth 1-1 Brackley Town
NATS
Bath City 2-0 Concord Rangers
Bognor Regis Town 0-3 Wealdstone
Braintree Town 1-2 Hemel Hempstead Town
Chippenham Town 2-2 Dartford
East Thurrock United 4-1 Oxford City
Eastbourne Borough 1-1 St Albans City
Poole Town 2-3 Welling United
Whitehawk 3-2 Truro City – 10 of the ‘Hawks’ 14 points this season have come since the turn of the year; with 3 wins and a draw in January

ILP
Dorking Wanderers 2-2 Harlow Town

SLP
Farnborough 4-0 Dunstable Town
Royston Town 0-2 Chesham United
SL1E
AFC Dunstable 0-2 Chalfont St Peter
Arlesey Town 1-9 {NINE} Hayes & Yeading United
Ashford Town (Middx) 1-4 Hanwell Town
Aylesbury United 2-2 Moneyfields
SL1W
Didcot Town 2-0 Bristol Manor Farm

CCLP
Bedfont Sports 3-0 Spelthorne Sports - Bedfont Sp draw level with Westfield at the top but have vastly inferior GD and have played 4 games more. Sutton Common Rvrs and Walton & Hersham are just about in reach but then there's a massive 13 point gap back to 5th placed Camberley

Chertsey Town 1-3 Knaphill
CCL1
Frimley Green 3-1 AC London

HELLP
Abingdon United 0-5 Bracknell Town
Highmoor Ibis
2-5 Ascot United
Royal Wootton Bassett Town 0-2 Flackwell Heath
Thatcham Town
{EIGHT} 8-0 Lydney Town
Windsor 2-3 Brimscombe & Thrupp
Challenge Cup
Penn & Tylers Green 2-4 Easington Sports

WESS1
Verwood Town 2-1 Alton
Whitchurch United
1-2 Laverstock & Ford

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jan 2018 07:40

Sutekh
Hoop Blah
Sutekh Highworth Town looking like they've got the Hellenic Premier more or less sewn up already. Certainly looks like it's going to be a case of theirs to lose.

People had been saying the same about Bracknell not too long ago.

The games between Highworth, Thatcham and Bracknell are all yet to come and they'll be key to who finishes on top of the league. I wouldn't totally discount Flackwell just yet either.

Agreed but Highworth haven't dropped a point yet, have already stuffed Flackwell at Flackwell and played a shed load of away games but with promotion being about getting a high PPG ratio the Hellenic Premier might be a league that sees 2 or 3 of its sides promoted.

Thatcham have won their last 17 games and are now just 3 points behind with a game in hand, and a better goal difference, and they play Highworth midweek.

Looking at the results over the last month or so I'd make Thatcham favourites even if they don't win at Highworth.

Royalist

by Royalist » 21 Jan 2018 11:09

Is it correct that all of Slough's 7 games in hand are away? That's pretty remarkable. A while until postponements become less likely :shock:

10513 posts