The Non - League thread

10442 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2018 12:39

Old Man Andrews I haven't changed my view on anything. I have been at meetings at the club where the Chairman has said it is a long term project. What would you like me to do? Stand up and call him a liar? I will do that at the AGM don't worry. If the most recent sacking is down to the Quarter Final defeat alone then I will be revising my opinion.

Who said Thame were an average side? Bracknell didn't play them on the last day of the season. Bracknell had to get a decent sized win on the last day and they would have won the league. Thame did their bit by smashing Henley (I think) and Bracknell lost at home to Highworth who were then very average.

Not sure what you aren't understanding. It is all fairly straightforward stuff.

*edit thats not me trying to be rude I just think you must have your wires crossed somewhere.

No problem, no offence taken. The Thame bit was my misreading of your post, although I'd still argue a Highworth side with Aysa Corrick in it was far from very average, but that's really splitting hairs. Bracknell winning wouldn't have been enough to get promoted by the way, Thame would've still had the better goal difference (all ifs, buts and maybes).

In terms of changing your mind...

Old Man Andrews You can get a couple of thousand in easily.

not long after Old Man Andrews You wouldn't want much more than a thousand in there in its current layout. Those standing wouldn't be very comfortable or see much. I went last day of the season last season and it wasn't exactly comfortable with 500 in.

You also said there was no pressure to succeed and then stated the manager rightly got the boot for failing to get promotion in the same season as finishing second and winning 3 cup finals. If that isn't a little unrealistic and putting pressure on the achieve the Chairmans ambition then hands up, I'm way out of touch!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2018 12:51

Old Man Andrews Would really like Rodger Herridge to get it in what would be the ultimate non-league swerve.

Roger is a cracking bloke and obviously knows a lot of the Bracknell players very well but after the comments when Tallentire got the elbow I'd be amazed if he'd work with certain people at Bracknell.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2018 13:03

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews Would really like Rodger Herridge to get it in what would be the ultimate non-league swerve.

Roger is a cracking bloke and obviously knows a lot of the Bracknell players very well but after the comments when Tallentire got the elbow I'd be amazed if he'd work with certain people at Bracknell.

Oh he will never get it or probably want it. Does a cracking job with Binfield in a job that is probably his as long as he wants it and should stay put.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2018 13:08

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews I haven't changed my view on anything. I have been at meetings at the club where the Chairman has said it is a long term project. What would you like me to do? Stand up and call him a liar? I will do that at the AGM don't worry. If the most recent sacking is down to the Quarter Final defeat alone then I will be revising my opinion.

Who said Thame were an average side? Bracknell didn't play them on the last day of the season. Bracknell had to get a decent sized win on the last day and they would have won the league. Thame did their bit by smashing Henley (I think) and Bracknell lost at home to Highworth who were then very average.

Not sure what you aren't understanding. It is all fairly straightforward stuff.

*edit thats not me trying to be rude I just think you must have your wires crossed somewhere.

No problem, no offence taken. The Thame bit was my misreading of your post, although I'd still argue a Highworth side with Aysa Corrick in it was far from very average, but that's really splitting hairs. Bracknell winning wouldn't have been enough to get promoted by the way, Thame would've still had the better goal difference (all ifs, buts and maybes).

In terms of changing your mind...

Old Man Andrews You can get a couple of thousand in easily.

not long after Old Man Andrews You wouldn't want much more than a thousand in there in its current layout. Those standing wouldn't be very comfortable or see much. I went last day of the season last season and it wasn't exactly comfortable with 500 in.

You also said there was no pressure to succeed and then stated the manager rightly got the boot for failing to get promotion in the same season as finishing second and winning 3 cup finals. If that isn't a little unrealistic and putting pressure on the achieve the Chairmans ambition then hands up, I'm way out of touch!

Yep with the attendance you're right, I re-evaluated it. It is as tight as a ducks arse behind the goals.

There were many scenarios on the last day that could have come into play from what I remember. I think it worked out that after all was said and done Bracknell would have had to win 3-0 to go up which they should have been capable of against Highworth at home. Fair play to Highworth they came and put on a great display and you're right, probably unfair to label them average.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 Feb 2018 13:49

I cant stand the bloke.

Seen him and his team twice. He did nothing but berate the officials and his own players in both. He even threatened to take his players off in one of them! If I was in charge at Binfield I might have sacked him on the spot. Complete idiot.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 Feb 2018 13:51

FA Vase draw:

Marske v Stockton
Thatcham v 1874 Northwich

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2018 13:59

Tony Le Mesmer

I cant stand the bloke.

Seen him and his team twice. He did nothing but berate the officials and his own players in both. He even threatened to take his players off in one of them! If I was in charge at Binfield I might have sacked him on the spot. Complete idiot.

Only ever have had good dealings with him to be honest. Seems like a nice bloke to me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Feb 2018 14:15

Tony Le Mesmer FA Vase draw:

Marske v Stockton

I reckon there's a very good chance it'll be a Marske v Thatcham final.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2018 14:19

Sutekh
Tony Le Mesmer FA Vase draw:

Marske v Stockton

I reckon there's a very good chance it'll be a Marske v Thatcham final.

I reckon they'd be the two favourites, although I'm sure Thatcham would rather be at home for the 2nd leg.

Avoiding Marske sounds like a bit of a result.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Feb 2018 14:51

From Football in Bracknell Group: Some of the things I’ve heard that led to decision: Liam Ferdinand to title rivals, Geoff Warner’s coaching and contacts disregarded, continuously over budget, unsuccessful expensive signings, upsetting existing squad, not taking player or club calls...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2018 14:56

Royal Rother From Football in Bracknell Group: Some of the things I’ve heard that led to decision: Liam Ferdinand to title rivals, Geoff Warner’s coaching and contacts disregarded, continuously over budget, unsuccessful expensive signings, upsetting existing squad, not taking player or club calls...

That makes a lot more sense than just being sacked for the Quarter Final defeat.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Feb 2018 14:58

Could of course be a bit of creative smoke-screening....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2018 15:14

Royal Rother From Football in Bracknell Group: Some of the things I’ve heard that led to decision: Liam Ferdinand to title rivals, Geoff Warner’s coaching and contacts disregarded, continuously over budget, unsuccessful expensive signings, upsetting existing squad, not taking player or club calls...

When did Geoff and Ferdinand leave? November? It took a long time, and a lot of success, for them to realise it was a sack-able offence.

They were unlikley to be able to keep Ferdinand, Cornell and Bohane happy and, presumably, Ferdinand signing was at least something to do with Tallentire being the manager as they'd probably worked together at Binfield.

I did see a tweet that they'd lost the dressing room though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2018 15:25

The silence from the club is a bit odd. Taken them way longer than normal to make an official announcement.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2018 20:07

Old Man Andrews The silence from the club is a bit odd. Taken them way longer than normal to make an official announcement.

Very odd, and it would appear by McGrotty's tweets that they haven't had the decency to even speak to the managers over and above the email this morning.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Feb 2018 21:41

Woodley 0-5 Windsor

No hangover after the Vase exit for Windsor!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2018 12:11

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews The silence from the club is a bit odd. Taken them way longer than normal to make an official announcement.

Very odd, and it would appear by McGrotty's tweets that they haven't had the decency to even speak to the managers over and above the email this morning.

The club statement is very cagey. Don't like it or agree with the decision.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2018 12:40

There is a tweeted reply to McGrotty suggesting that the Chairman is using the club to launder drug money. Cannot imagine that went down well at Larges Lane.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Feb 2018 13:41

Old Man Andrews The club statement is very cagey. Don't like it or agree with the decision.

Yes, all a little odd if you ask me.

I've seen a couple of comments about losing the dressing room and it was noticeable that (I think) none of the players commented on it or expressed any best wishes to the out-going managers.

That could be because they don't want to bite the hands that feeds them, or that they'd been asked not to by the club, or that they just didn't really give a toss about them and are happy with the change.

And so Carl Davies takes over to the end of the season, with Warner helping him out. That might indicate the players wanted a change.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Feb 2018 14:11

Do we know how the Chairman DID make his money?

Or is what he’s doing all from money made available by other backers?

Or is the club actually self-sufficient?

10442 posts