The Non - League thread

10507 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Non - League thread

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Mar 2018 23:55

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother Windsor put 5 past them at their place last week so one would expect Bracknell to at least match that.

Ref called it off for a small puddle on the pitch according to one of the players.

Ref concerned about one goalmouth ...called it at about 19:05 too - I knew it was doubtful as soon as it did start raining again late PM.

'Robins' now have 15 league and a few cup ties, to fit in by the end of the season - will be playing at least twice a week until late April.

in spite of issues with the pitch at Rivermoor/Swamp Scours - Highmoor/IBIS only have 5 home games left (4 away) - Woodley also have about 10 incl Cup ties - but with only one away league game remaining, as far as I can work out.

Bracknell go again this Wed; away at Longlevens in the F'lit Cup.

Windsor host MK Dons tomorrow night in the B&B Q-F - winners host Slough in the Semis - other semi betwixt Thatcham & Chesham.

Warfield ED Stand

by Warfield ED Stand » 06 Mar 2018 09:04

Was reading tweets from people connected with Bracknell last night. They seem very unhappy with some fixture rearrangements . The crux of their issue it seems is that the League Fixture secretary is the match-day secretary for Highworth Town. So the secretary of one of their main rivals has their fixtures in his hands. Highworth, I gather have a less challenging run in.
They seem to be handed a few midweek games quite a distance away while Windsor away for example, is on a Saturday. I don't know enough about the league as a whole, but do they have a case?? I know that the Boxing Day debacle of having a local derby at Binfield called off was blamed on the league refusing to swap the fixtures by both clubs. Does the league have it in for Bracknell??

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Mar 2018 11:29

Para Handy Maidenhead next year for me.

After watching Reading for 48 years I've actually had enough.

Saw my first game in 1970 against Rochdale. Les Chappell scored a penalty which went in off the post. Been going pretty much ever since. Season ticket holder at the Madesjki since it opened in 1998.

No real afiliation for them but enjoy what they're trying to do. Admire the fact that they're semi pro. Sure, some of the football may be shit but it's infintely preferable to what I've watched at Reading this last couple of seasons.

It's kind of odd not having any connection to the club you're watching but tbh I feel that way about Reading these days. Last few years have completely disenchanted me. Thought long and hard about renewing when they sacked Brian the first time. In retrospect, that's when it all when downhill for me. Might have been the right decision but I think that's when I realised that, yeah, I'm not enjoying this at all anymore.

I think this is quite a common trend to be honest. Both on here and in the real world there are plenty of long term Reading fans I know of who've turned their back on watching Reading and ended up in various non-league grounds instead.

For Reading fans that got the bug in watching Reading in the lower leagues at Elm Park there's certainly a familiar draw to non-league football as in many ways in feels a bit like the old days of a community club and more of a two way relationship even if the football isn't the greatest.

I think it's a by product of the way the professional game has gone, well in the top leagues at least, and it really should be a warning to those that run the game.

Does anyone know what the trend is for attendance at non-league levels? Has it had a significant impact at all?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Mar 2018 11:40

Warfield ED Stand Was reading tweets from people connected with Bracknell last night. They seem very unhappy with some fixture rearrangements . The crux of their issue it seems is that the League Fixture secretary is the match-day secretary for Highworth Town. So the secretary of one of their main rivals has their fixtures in his hands. Highworth, I gather have a less challenging run in.
They seem to be handed a few midweek games quite a distance away while Windsor away for example, is on a Saturday. I don't know enough about the league as a whole, but do they have a case?? I know that the Boxing Day debacle of having a local derby at Binfield called off was blamed on the league refusing to swap the fixtures by both clubs. Does the league have it in for Bracknell??

Interesting point. I don't think there is enough evidence to say they have it in for Bracknell but of course there will be favouristism to Highworth I'd think.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Mar 2018 14:17

Old Man Andrews
Warfield ED Stand Was reading tweets from people connected with Bracknell last night. They seem very unhappy with some fixture rearrangements . The crux of their issue it seems is that the League Fixture secretary is the match-day secretary for Highworth Town. So the secretary of one of their main rivals has their fixtures in his hands. Highworth, I gather have a less challenging run in.

Interesting point. I don't think there is enough evidence to say they have it in for Bracknell but of course there will be favouristism to Highworth I'd think.

Naturally, Would imagine Thatcham would also be in the same boat although to a slightly lesser degree as they haven't been quite so unfortunate with the number of league postponements.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Mar 2018 16:26

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Naturally, Would imagine Thatcham would also be in the same boat although to a slightly lesser degree as they haven't been quite so unfortunate with the number of league postponements.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Highworth are going to Woodley next Monday night and Thatcham are away to Highworth on the 28th. Bracknell have 5/6 games in hand and so will obviously have more potential for midweek away games and, unless I'm missing something, only have one extra midweek trip of any real distance (they're away to Lydney and Fairford).

If you ask me it's moaning for moaning's sake, or perhaps looking for excuses.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Mar 2018 09:27

Windsor 0-5 MK Dons

I don’t know their squad but am (reliably) informed that MK Dons played a number of 1st team players. They were very impressive I have to say, streets ahead of where we are, which of course is only to be expected.

Our keeper Hugo Sobte almost single-handedly kept it to 0-0 at HT, making a string of saves. Unfortunately a penalty early in the 2nd half opened the floodgates.

Remember McCarthy v Liverpool....? Well Hugo made that many saves in the 1st half alone.

He has had some trials with pro clubs in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised if last night’s opponents pick up the phone today.

It could easily have been double figures.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Mar 2018 10:46

Maidstone P-P Macclesfield last night at kick-off time with Macclesfield players, staff and supporters at the ground.

Should Maidstone have to forfeit the points? Does the Chief Executive need to go?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Mar 2018 10:56

John Smith Maidstone P-P Macclesfield last night at kick-off time with Macclesfield players, staff and supporters at the ground.

Should Maidstone have to forfeit the points? Does the Chief Executive need to go?

Was it weather related?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Mar 2018 11:07

No there was an oil spillage on the M25. Why weren't they there earlier, though? I think it's a management decision to arrange when to arrive on a match day and therefore the Chief Exec has to do the right thing and must go

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Mar 2018 11:22

Hoop Blah
Para Handy Maidenhead next year for me.

After watching Reading for 48 years I've actually had enough.

Saw my first game in 1970 against Rochdale. Les Chappell scored a penalty which went in off the post. Been going pretty much ever since. Season ticket holder at the Madesjki since it opened in 1998.

No real afiliation for them but enjoy what they're trying to do. Admire the fact that they're semi pro. Sure, some of the football may be shit but it's infintely preferable to what I've watched at Reading this last couple of seasons.

It's kind of odd not having any connection to the club you're watching but tbh I feel that way about Reading these days. Last few years have completely disenchanted me. Thought long and hard about renewing when they sacked Brian the first time. In retrospect, that's when it all when downhill for me. Might have been the right decision but I think that's when I realised that, yeah, I'm not enjoying this at all anymore.

I think this is quite a common trend to be honest. Both on here and in the real world there are plenty of long term Reading fans I know of who've turned their back on watching Reading and ended up in various non-league grounds instead.

For Reading fans that got the bug in watching Reading in the lower leagues at Elm Park there's certainly a familiar draw to non-league football as in many ways in feels a bit like the old days of a community club and more of a two way relationship even if the football isn't the greatest.

I think it's a by product of the way the professional game has gone, well in the top leagues at least, and it really should be a warning to those that run the game.

Does anyone know what the trend is for attendance at non-league levels? Has it had a significant impact at all?

Completely in tune with these sentiments
Last night I chose the familiar drudge of watching Reading over my local team Brackley
Big mistake as I thought it might be.

Reading as usual were awful, spineless, seemingly without much will to win. One moment of skill from Barrow and that was it.
On the other hand, Brackley beat Stockport to get to the FA Trophy semis.
Each time I've been to watch it's been a far more enjoyable game than any at the Madejski, so I may join you Para in ditching Reading next season.

Well played Brackley (I know it's of little interest to most of you but FoC includes Brackley in the local teams)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Mar 2018 11:30

John Smith No there was an oil spillage on the M25. Why weren't they there earlier, though? I think it's a management decision to arrange when to arrive on a match day and therefore the Chief Exec has to do the right thing and must go

I would think there would be serious repercussions for the club. Points should be awarded to Macclesfield in my opinion but I'm not sure what the rules are in the National League.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Mar 2018 12:27

John Smith No there was an oil spillage on the M25. Why weren't they there earlier, though? I think it's a management decision to arrange when to arrive on a match day and therefore the Chief Exec has to do the right thing and must go

Reading about it, players are expected to arrive at the ground at 5.45pm - 2 hours before kick off. The accident meant the M25 was closed from 5pm, players were on their way and would normally have been at the ground by this time. Road was shut for 3 hours.

Sure there will be some censure. Maidstone didn't have 7 fit players at the ground and couldn't field a youth team as they were either not registered or playing out on loan somewhere else - so not sure what else they could have done.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2018 14:12

Stranded

Reading about it, players are expected to arrive at the ground at 5.45pm - 2 hours before kick off. The accident meant the M25 was closed from 5pm, players were on their way and would normally have been at the ground by this time. Road was shut for 3 hours.

Sure there will be some censure. Maidstone didn't have 7 fit players at the ground and couldn't field a youth team as they were either not registered or playing out on loan somewhere else - so not sure what else they could have done.

Am I missing something? The game was at Maidstone and Macclesfield were there at 7.45 despite the M25 problems and yet Maidstone couldn't raise a team?

I presume the reason for Maidstone's failure was down to the same M25 problems that delayed Macclesfield?

If not then the Maidstone should face whatever the Conference have written into their rules about teams failing to fulfil fixtures.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Mar 2018 14:20

What I don't get is why would a club not register their youth team to play in first team?

You see this in other leagues too and I've never understood why they wouldn't do it as standard.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Mar 2018 16:37

So apparently what transpired is that the referee asked Sanchez Watt for his name, to book him. Player answers 'Watt', referees hears 'what?' and sends him off for dissent (harsh? one for paultheroyal). Red card rescinded once the ref understood what had happened.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Mar 2018 17:36

I think they exchanged more than just the one what, but still harsh even though it was a second booking.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 07 Mar 2018 19:36

Thatcham Vs 1874 Northwich FA Vase Semi Final 1st Leg 17th March.

The game is ALL TICKET for anyone wanting to go. You wont be able to turn up on the day. It seems Thatcham have learnt lessons from the trouble local youvvs caused in the previous two rounds they're taking details of people buying tickets and the relevant ticket number.

Northwich haven't released ticket details for the second leg yet.

double d

by double d » 07 Mar 2018 20:35

Obvious question is obvious but aren't all games all ticket?

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 07 Mar 2018 20:44

If you pay on the day you haven't bought a ticket. You've bought admission.

10507 posts