The Non - League thread

10545 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sutekh » 17 Apr 2018 09:14

Four Of Clubs
Old Man Andrews Thatcham have secured promotion with a late win at Highworth. You've got to give that Thatcham team credit, they've been unstoppable.

I was there tonight - crowd officially announced as 291 - but there is plenty of room at the Elms so didn't seem packed.

Thatcham had the upper hand for most of the game yet really struggled to break the hosts down. Wasn't all one-way and you could see why Highworth had been top for so long - they showed flashes of real quality going forward - but hamstrung themselves when main striker Sproules got a 2nd yellow for stupid shove on visiting keeper Rackley, chasing a through ball.

... even when down to 10 men they still fashioned a couple of chances that Ash Edenborough should have scored from - easy to see why Supermarine are reportedly sniffing after him too - even this late in the season.

Their defence held firm until injury time when two trademark Liam Ferdinand goals on 91' and 93' poached a win and promotion for the 'Kingfishers'.

Up to Bracknell Town now to keep the pressure on by winning tomorrow at home to Brackley Saints, then at Windsor on Friday night.
Thatcham travel to Abingdon Utd for another Cup tie on Thursday evening - the league Challenge Cup S-F - Bracknell Town await in the Final venue tba.

Elsewhere locally Highmoor/IBIS stunned Binfield 3-2 at Scours and are temporarily out of the bottom 4; Slough won again 1-0 away at Hitchin & Kidlington went down 1-2 at home to Bideford.

Lots of games tomorrow night in no particular order (pick of them probably the first one)

SL1W Winchester City v Taunton - quite fancy this if I get home in time (if not then may bowl up at Tadley or Aldermaston - Eversley & C. are also at home to Baggy Lea

Supermarine host Salisbury in the same section.

SLP Basingstoke v Bps Stortford (possibly incl Jamie Cureton)

NATS Maidenhead v Sutton (free entry in advance or £5 on the gate, I think - as I mentioned last week?)

HELLP Windsor host Flackwell

...and finally for the moment in the Aldershot Senior S-F Hartley Wintney host Farnham Town

Just for the sake of mathematics, Thatcham have not secured promotion. Bracknell can still pip them if they wipe out the goal difference in winning all their remaining games. Very unlikely I know but Bracknell can be rather free scoring at times and they should at least get 2nd place (again) which may be enough for promotion to step 4 anyway this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Apr 2018 09:28

Sutekh Just for the sake of mathematics, Thatcham have not secured promotion. Bracknell can still pip them if they wipe out the goal difference in winning all their remaining games. Very unlikely I know but Bracknell can be rather free scoring at times and they should at least get 2nd place (again) which may be enough for promotion to step 4 anyway this season.

Top two are confirmed as going up this season, maybe even 3 with the way things are going, so mathematically Thatcham are promoted as only Bracknell can better their 92 points.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Apr 2018 09:34

Four Of Clubs Marlow PP Ashford Town (Middx)

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/gallery/marlow-fc/130052/marlow-s-game-against-ashford-town-postponed-after-coordinated-walkout-by-the-players.html

I'd heard/read something about the money drying up at Marlow recently. It seems the players threw their toys out at the weekend and just didn't show up for the game.

That's pretty shocking stuff, it's not Sunday League!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Apr 2018 22:34

Windsor 3-1 Flackwell Heath

Good performance from Windsor tonight. Again a very young team and a couple of them looked far more at home than previously. The regular games are doing them a power of good. Keaton August (who I mentioned after Saturday as looking intimidated and just not ready for it) had by far his best game.

I’m going to really miss Jack Denton’s quality next year.

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 22:46

Why do the conference play offs have 6 teams in?

Assume it will be something like 4th vs 7th and 5th vs 6th then 3rd and 2nd v winners?

But it just seems weird why they dont just do 2 automatic and then a 4 team play off?....

Is it something to do with the grounds and teams not being allowed in play offs (I vaguely without googling it remember either this league or the South conference having 3 teams not being allowed in the play offs because of small stadiums so the team in 10th or something ended up in there.... remember wealdstone being mentioned so maybe conf South )

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 08:29

Hoop Blah
Four Of Clubs Marlow PP Ashford Town (Middx)

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/gallery/marlow-fc/130052/marlow-s-game-against-ashford-town-postponed-after-coordinated-walkout-by-the-players.html

I'd heard/read something about the money drying up at Marlow recently. It seems the players threw their toys out at the weekend and just didn't show up for the game.

That's pretty shocking stuff, it's not Sunday League!

I know it must be terrible for the players and I get why they would be furious but I think they have forgotten what football is about. Football first, business second.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2018 09:03

double d Why do the conference play offs have 6 teams in?

Assume it will be something like 4th vs 7th and 5th vs 6th then 3rd and 2nd v winners?

But it just seems weird why they dont just do 2 automatic and then a 4 team play off?....

Is it something to do with the grounds and teams not being allowed in play offs (I vaguely without googling it remember either this league or the South conference having 3 teams not being allowed in the play offs because of small stadiums so the team in 10th or something ended up in there.... remember wealdstone being mentioned so maybe conf South )

They've done it to make the leagues more competitive and have less teams with nothing to play for late in the season. Is in place in all 3 conference divisions, so feasibly the team finishing 7th in the Conference National (currently Wrexham could end up in the Football League)

Structure is pretty much as you say, play-offs now just one game:

1st Round

4th V 7th
5th v 6th

2nd round

2nd v lowest placed winner from round 1
3rd v highest placed winner from round 1

Final at Wembley.

I like it - same number of games, straight knock out football and an advantage to the highest place teams who only have to win 2 games to go up. Team in 6th/7th would need to win 2 away ties at better sides and then a final to get promoted, very difficult but possible.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2018 09:11

Stranded
double d Why do the conference play offs have 6 teams in?

They've done it to make the leagues more competitive and have less teams with nothing to play for late in the season. Is in place in all 3 conference divisions, so feasibly the team finishing 7th in the Conference National (currently Wrexham could end up in the Football League)

Structure is pretty much as you say, play-offs now just one game:

1st Round

4th V 7th
5th v 6th

2nd round

2nd v lowest placed winner from round 1
3rd v highest placed winner from round 1

Final at Wembley.

I like it - same number of games, straight knock out football and an advantage to the highest place teams who only have to win 2 games to go up. Team in 6th/7th would need to win 2 away ties at better sides and then a final to get promoted, very difficult but possible.

Next step. Scrap penalties from all play off games.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Apr 2018 10:46

What happens if there’s a foul in the area then?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 10:53

Royal Rother What happens if there’s a foul in the area then?

There will be an arm wrestle to determine manliness.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Apr 2018 11:33

Royal Rother I’m going to really miss Jack Denton’s quality next year.

I'm sure I replied to this bit earlier today. Either I didn't hit send or it got deleted.

Anyway, is there no way he'll stay next season? He must've had other interest last summer, and during this season, from clubs with a budget to throw around and he's stayed with Windsor so he must like the club or something if offers him.

A lot of players seem to jump around for the extra £20 here and there, but there are a lot of others who seem happy to stay and play for a club/manager they like as well.

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 18 Apr 2018 13:51

Hereford crowned as Southern Premier League champions last night. 8)

Three successive promotions with over 100 goals and 100 points each time.

Hereford FC:

2015-16:
35 wins
138 goals
108 points
Champions

2016-17:
33 wins
108 goals
107 points
Champions

2017-18:
33 wins*
102 goals*
104 points*
Champions

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 14:01

How far are they away from the Football League now?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Apr 2018 14:08

Old Man Andrews How far are they away from the Football League now?

That'll put them in the Conference South won't it? Then the Conference, sorry, the National League and then League Two.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 14:17

It is a race between them and Salford to see who can get into the League first. I predict Salford.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2018 14:19

Hoop Blah

That'll put them in the Conference South won't it? Then the Conference, sorry, the National League and then League Two.

Now just watch them wind up in the Conference North..... :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 14:22

Sutekh
Hoop Blah

Now just watch them wind up in the Conference North..... :lol:

I think they will you know. Looking at the North/South split they certainly should be.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Apr 2018 15:03

Stretts Hereford crowned as Southern Premier League champions last night. 8)

Three successive promotions with over 100 goals and 100 points each time.

Hereford FC:

2015-16:
35 wins
138 goals
108 points
Champions

2016-17:
33 wins
108 goals
107 points
Champions

2017-18:
33 wins*
102 goals*
104 points*
Champions

Is this really a big deal? Its like when Rangers made their way back through the Scottish Leagues. Hereford have been miles out of sink in terms of resources, even in the Southern Prem. Makes a bit of a mockery of the title as teams in their league have next to no chance in competing against them.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Apr 2018 15:11

Good freebie at Maidenhead last night. Played well, deserved the win. That said they'll definitely get relegated next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Apr 2018 15:20

Tony Le Mesmer Is this really a big deal? Its like when Rangers made their way back through the Scottish Leagues. Hereford have been miles out of sink in terms of resources, even in the Southern Prem. Makes a bit of a mockery of the title as teams in their league have next to no chance in competing against them.

I'd tend to agree, however, any team showing the level of consistency to rack up those stats still deserves some plaudits for it despite the relative resources.

It's hardly a shock sporting story though.

10545 posts