The Non - League thread

10442 posts
double d

Re: The Non - League thread

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 15:28

Conference north is actually quite a decent league with a lot of good teams in it (Salford/darlington/Stockport etc). And even lower have South shields. Shaw lane etc. The northern northern (ie Newcastle area) teams always seem to do well. They seem to dominate the fa trophy/vase (delete as appropriate). Hopefully Thatchem can win it this year.

They (Hereford) will end up in north section seeing as brackley are. They're travel costs must be insane

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 15:30

RG30 Good freebie at Maidenhead last night. Played well, deserved the win. That said they'll definitely get relegated next season.

I think if they recruit decent enough they wont go down. There are some god awful teams in that league.

Of course if they kept tarpey they would be alot nearer the playoffs.

Talking of conference, am hoping somebody like ebbsfleet go up in the playoffs or flyde. Would be nice

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 15:35

double d
RG30 Good freebie at Maidenhead last night. Played well, deserved the win. That said they'll definitely get relegated next season.

Yeah definitely......

I am sure he would have been really effective with a broken leg, really driven them up the table.

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 15:37

Old Man Andrews
double d

Yeah definitely......

I am sure he would have been really effective with a broken leg, really driven them up the table.

1) he did his ligaments
2) if he didn't leave he might not have done them.

Hth.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 15:41

double d
Old Man Andrews
double d

Yeah definitely......

2) if he didn't leave he might not have done them.

Hth.

His doctor did actually say that on his medical report as the cause of injury. "Leaving Maidenhead" was the root cause.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Apr 2018 15:58

double d

I think if they recruit decent enough they wont go down. There are some god awful teams in that league.

Talking of conference, am hoping somebody like ebbsfleet go up in the playoffs or flyde. Would be nice

They are part-timers in a full time league. That will catch up with them eventually. They'll lose at least 3 as well this summer according to Dev.

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 18 Apr 2018 16:08

It's a big deal for Hereford, considering there was no club 4 years ago. There are also a few other big spending teams at Southern Premier league, and at least one full time team.

For some reason, they're expected to be in the Conference South, which is strange considering Telford and Kidderminster are in the Conference North.

I think it all depends on the 44 or 48 clubs that are competing in the 2 leagues before any final decisions are made.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Apr 2018 17:05

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother I’m going to really miss Jack Denton’s quality next year.

I'm sure I replied to this bit earlier today. Either I didn't hit send or it got deleted.

Anyway, is there no way he'll stay next season? He must've had other interest last summer, and during this season, from clubs with a budget to throw around and he's stayed with Windsor so he must like the club or something if offers him.

A lot of players seem to jump around for the extra £20 here and there, but there are a lot of others who seem happy to stay and play for a club/manager they like as well.

He was only ever going to be here for 1 season, as he’s off to USA.

I think he may have been doing an A Level at the Cox Green Academy which is part of the Windsor FC set up, so it all fitted together nicely.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2018 17:28

RG30
double d

They are part-timers in a full time league. That will catch up with them eventually. They'll lose at least 3 as well this summer according to Dev.

AD was saying that they'll be part time again next year but that if they do as well they may look at full time for the following season

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Apr 2018 19:54

Royal Rother He was only ever going to be here for 1 season, as he’s off to USA.

I think he may have been doing an A Level at the Cox Green Academy which is part of the Windsor FC set up, so it all fitted together nicely.

Ah, I see. I got the wrong end of the stick then!

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 20:06

Reading about non league football (conference) league from 2000-01 till now on wiki. Some proper nostalgic teams in there if anybody remembers.

Scarborough (RIPIP)
Hayes
Leigh RMI
Boston
Rushden and Diamonds (RIPIP)
Gravesend and Northfleet
Farnborough (never knew they ever went that high!)
The former Darlington, Telford United, Chester FC and Hereford FCs
Canvey Island (who decided to demote themselves)
Altrincham (who finished bottom two 3 seasons in a row but did not go down due to other clubs financial troubles)

Surprising to see Burton won 9 seasons ago, Crawley and Wimbledon 8 and Fleetwood 6 only and look where they are now. Fair play to them! And Alders#t went to L2..... Forgot about that too!
Last edited by double d on 18 Apr 2018 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2018 20:16

IN for the Burton love....still am

Wasn’t Jimmy Quinn player and/or manager for Hayes about then?

Wimbledon were surely bouncing around the Windsor and Eton peripheries about then too?

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 20:25

AthleticoSpizz IN for the Burton love....still am

Wasn’t Jimmy Quinn player and/or manager for Hayes about then?

Wimbledon were surely bouncing around the Windsor and Eton peripheries about then too?

AFC Wimbledon History:

2002-2004 Combined Counties League Prem
Finished 3rd with 111 points ( :shock: WTF!!!!) and then top with 130 points and no losses and 4 draws (SERIOUSLY.... WTF!!!!!!)

2004 - Isthmian League Div 1 champs 97 points

3 seasons in the prem division, 5th, 4th and 3rd play (went up via playoffs)

2008-09- Conference south winners first time

2 years in National League

5 years in L2 until 15-16 when went up in playoffs.

That is pretty pfucking mental.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2018 20:30

Fleetwood were little more than a park team too....remember watching them at ‘Highbury’ about then.

double d

by double d » 18 Apr 2018 20:33

AthleticoSpizz Fleetwood were little more than a park team too....remember watching them at ‘Highbury’ about then.

Cannot be arsed to Google it but I think they got promoted something stupid like 8 times in 10 seasons!!!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2018 20:55

Yes, obvs

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Apr 2018 23:48

double d
AthleticoSpizz Fleetwood were little more than a park team too....remember watching them at ‘Highbury’ about then.

Cannot be arsed to Google it but I think they got promoted something stupid like 8 times in 10 seasons!!!!

...not too sure either but I digging about I think it's more like 6 in 10 - nonetheless :shock: - some going.....

2004-05 NWC-1 42 31 6 5 107 42 99 1/22
2005-06 NPL-1 42 22 10 10 72 48 76 2/22
2006-07 NPL-P 42 19 10 13 71 60 67 8/22
2007-08 NPL-P 40 28 7 5 81 39 91 1/21
2008-09 CONF-N 42 17 11 14 70 66 62 8/22
2009-10 CONF-N 40 26 7 7 86 44 85 2/21
2010-11 CONF-Nat 46 22 12 12 68 42 78 5/24
2011-12 CONF-Nat 46 31 10 5 102 48 103 1/24
2012-13 FL-2 46 15 15 16 55 57 60 13/24
2013-14 FL-2 46 22 10 14 66 52 76 4/24

...and lost in POs 16/17

... also at Maidenhead yesterday night; got the distinct impression (not in any way belittling Magpies good 1st half onslaught) that Sutton really weren't 'at it' until that very late goal back.
As my Palarse-supporting 'hopping' acquaintance surmised near the end - according to his mate whose also a Sutton fan :roll: :lol: - it's doubtful they really want to go up if it means they have to rip up their relatively new 3G pitch. They are obviously saying all the right things publicly, so as not to get 'bounced' by the National League committee.
I suspect there's some mileage in the belief amongst Sutton fans, that they'd prefer to continue with the useful revenue stream from hiring it out regularly and maybe have another go when the FAs view of artificial pitches might have eased a bit?

... and tonight (Thu) I went up to the 'wild west' again, just a short tractor's chug 8) along the A420 from Sw!nedon for :

HELL1W Shrivenham 2-1 Woodstock - hosts battling for 2nd place behind Ardley; actually had their hands full up against a very youthful, quick and lively Woodstock - who've for the most part been at the wrong end of the table.
They did wallop Shrivy 5-0 at their New Rd ground in November in the return fixture. Had a lot of the game tonight and would have deservedly shared the points, had they not taken a woefully poor penalty in injury time - which was pushed away much to the relief of the hosts.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 19 Apr 2018 13:19

RG30
double d

sadly ive agreed with this for most of this season. its going to be very difficult to attract good enough players, who have another job and are prepared to do all the NL travelling.

Mid table in the NL is pretty much the maximum Maidenhead can achieve on current resources. Its been an incredible couple of seasons.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 19 Apr 2018 13:22

double d Reading about non league football (conference) league from 2000-01 till now on wiki. Some proper nostalgic teams in there if anybody remembers.

Scarborough (RIPIP)
Hayes
Leigh RMI
Boston
Rushden and Diamonds (RIPIP)
Gravesend and Northfleet
Farnborough (never knew they ever went that high!)
The former Darlington, Telford United, Chester FC and Hereford FCs
Canvey Island (who decided to demote themselves)
Altrincham (who finished bottom two 3 seasons in a row but did not go down due to other clubs financial troubles)

Surprising to see Burton won 9 seasons ago, Crawley and Wimbledon 8 and Fleetwood 6 only and look where they are now. Fair play to them! And Alders#t went to L2..... Forgot about that too!

Just goes to show what happens when you attempt to compete beyond your means. There are loads of clubs in the NL heading for the scrap heap. Solihull Moors have gone FT on gates of 600. They wont exist in 5 years time.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Apr 2018 13:40

It's a bit of a difficult call at times for non-league clubs, IMO. Of course they want to be ambitious and progress up the ladder but, at the same time, there's only so far they can go without completely changing the nature of the club and all it stands for.

Having watched RFC grow from a humble community club playing in front of 4k crowds in a rusty old ground to the club it is now I fear for clubs who look to push on too far and risk either their identity or their existence by doing so.

10442 posts