The Non - League thread

10440 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Non - League thread

by Four Of Clubs » 16 Oct 2018 00:15

Tony Le Mesmer Bournemouth FC 6-0 Newquay

I get the impression Cornish football isnt of the highest standard. Newquay have made a decent start in the South West Pennisula league (Step 6) but looked way below Bournemouth's level (Step 5).

Minor Pendant alert : ...I feel you ought to ask Bridport (0-6 v Falmouth) or Plymouth Parkway (6-1 at St Austell) what they think about that statement! :mrgreen:

The 2 SWLP sides handed out a pair of hefty thrashings to supposedly loftier WESTERN league STEP05 clubs one of them on their own ground - and that league is usually regarded as being of a higher standard than the Wessex.

I suspect there are a few wrong 'uns lurking in the SWPL, due mainly to the reluctance to take on extra travelling, a step up to the Western Premier would entail. Falmouth and St Austell are 2nd and 3rd (behind Plymouth Reserves): Newquay are below mid-way.

Plus Tavistock in 4th place turned over another STEP05 side too; Hellenic Prem Longlevens aet - and Wessex Leaders Sholing, only just edged past SWL Torpoint 1-0 and they are 4th bottom.

Oddly enough SWLP sides (and Western clubs in general - Truro excepted) - don't traditionally do that well in the Vase - rarely seem to reach the latter rounds, unlike sides of similar ilk in the extreme NE.

....if I've counted right the next round of the Vase sees 7 SWLP sides represented - more than the two Western leagues put together and only a couple less than the number of Wessex clubs remaining. (I think there might be as many as nine or more - which includes a STEP06 Div One side -Newport IoW)
Sadly Bournemouth have been drawn away at another Wessex Prem side (Baffins).
- haven't' looked in detail yet - it is late :? - but Windsor are away at Sussex outfit Chichester; Wantage host Lincolnshire club Deeping Rangers from the United Counties Premier.

...and there's a much more local opportunity to check the relative strength of the Devonian reps of that STEP06 league; as Ivybridge - admittedly from very near the foot of the table - come to Summerleaze tomorrow - (tonight!) (Tue 16th) for a Vase replay at Holyport.

I might even sidle along to check them out - though the bar (way back at the N.Maidenhead Cricket Club) is too far from the pitch for a half-time 'swifty' - unless you put a bike in the boot of your car! :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Oct 2018 08:12

Four Of Clubs

I get the impression Cornish football isnt of the highest standard. Newquay have made a decent start in the South West Pennisula league (Step 6) but looked way below Bournemouth's level (Step 5).

Minor Pendant alert : ...I feel you ought to ask Bridport (0-6 v Falmouth) or Plymouth Parkway (6-1 at St Austell) what they think about that statement! :mrgreen:

The 2 SWLP sides handed out a pair of hefty thrashings to supposedly loftier WESTERN league STEP05 clubs one of them on their own ground - and that league is usually regarded as being of a higher standard than the Wessex.

I suspect there are a few wrong 'uns lurking in the SWPL, due mainly to the reluctance to take on extra travelling, a step up to the Western Premier would entail. Falmouth and St Austell are 2nd and 3rd (behind Plymouth Reserves): Newquay are below mid-way.

Plus Tavistock in 4th place turned over another STEP05 side too; Hellenic Prem Longlevens aet - and Wessex Leaders Sholing, only just edged past SWL Torpoint 1-0 and they are 4th bottom.

Oddly enough SWLP sides (and Western clubs in general - Truro excepted) - don't traditionally do that well in the Vase - rarely seem to reach the latter rounds, unlike sides of similar ilk in the extreme NE.

....if I've counted right the next round of the Vase sees 7 SWLP sides represented - more than the two Western leagues put together and only a couple less than the number of Wessex clubs remaining. (I think there might be as many as nine or more - which includes a STEP06 Div One side -Newport IoW)
Sadly Bournemouth have been drawn away at another Wessex Prem side (Baffins).
- haven't' looked in detail yet - it is late :? - but Windsor are away at Sussex outfit Chichester; Wantage host Lincolnshire club Deeping Rangers from the United Counties Premier.

...and there's a much more local opportunity to check the relative strength of the Devonian reps of that STEP06 league; as Ivybridge - admittedly from very near the foot of the table - come to Summerleaze tomorrow - (tonight!) (Tue 16th) for a Vase replay at Holyport.

I might even sidle along to check them out - though the bar (way back at the N.Maidenhead Cricket Club) is too far from the pitch for a half-time 'swifty' - unless you put a bike in the boot of your car! :lol:

Interesting that Plymouth Argyle have a reserve side playing in the SWPL, must be fairly unique in having a professional club reserve side also in the pyramid (in English football) - I know it is common in Non League circles to have more than one side in the pyramid. Do you know if there are any limitations on Argyle's reserves getting promotion? Is it their U23 side or a more relaxed mix of players not in the 1st team mixed with youth?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Oct 2018 11:38

Reading City are another example of a Reading parks side who made the step up (before the rebrand of course).

As FoC says, the main issue would be ground requirements and all the hassle around meeting those.

I’m pretty sure YM are just happy playing where they are. The players are generally at that level because they can’t be bothered to play higher.

I think you’re more likely to see more teams dropping down instead of trying to go up.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Oct 2018 13:59

Mate of mine is from Cornwall, all his family are Plymouth fans.

The mate isn't really into football however.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2018 14:48

FA Trophy - 1st Round Qualifying draw in full.

Ties to be played on weekend of 27/28 October. All replays to be completed by 1st November,

Winners will receive £3250.

1. Workington v Scarborough Athletic
  2. Marine v Lancaster City
  3. Warrington Town v Prescot Cables
  4. Pickering Town v Droylsden or Tadcaster Albion
  5. Frickley Athletic v Ramsbottom United
  6. Whitby Town v Witton Albion
  7. Farsley Celtic v Brighouse Town
  8. Ossett United v Clitheroe
  9. South Shields v North Ferriby United
  10. Hyde United v Bamber Bridge
  11. Cleethorpes Town v Marske United or Atherton Collieries
  12. Stalybridge Celtic v Nantwich Town
  13. Gainsborough Trinity v Tamworth
  14. Buxton v King’s Lynn Town
  15. Kettering Town v Stourbridge
  16. AFC Rushden & Diamonds v St Ives Town
  17. Belper Town or Stamford v Leek Town or Loughborough Dynamo
  18. Cambridge City v Basford United
  19. Carlton Town v Bedworth United
  20. Newcastle Town v Chasetown
  21. Mickleover Sports v Redditch United
  22. St Neots Town v Matlock Town
  23. Kidsgrove Athletic v Yaxley
  24. Stafford Rangers v Rushall Olympic
  25. Soham Town Rangers v Hednesford Town or AFC Mansfield
  26. Grantham Town v Halesowen Town
  27. Alvechurch v Stratford Town
  28. Barwell v Coalville Town
  29. Chipstead v Berkhamsted
  30. Sittingbourne v Wingate & Finchley
  31. Brentwood Town v Whitstable Town
  32. Hythe Town v Bishop’s Stortford
  33. Molesey v Walton Casuals
  34. Kingstonian v Bedford Town
  35. Margate v Potters Bar Town
  36. Horsham v Corinthian Casuals
  37. Burgess Hill Town v Worthing
  38. Dorking Wanderers v Sevenoaks Town
  39. Biggleswade Town v Harrow Borough
  40. Hitchin Town v Hayes & Yeading United
  41. Maldon & Tiptree v Royston Town
  42. Haringey Borough v Chesham United
  43. Ashford Town (Middx) or Westfield v Lewes
  44. Lowestoft Town v Enfield Town
  45. AFC Hornchurch v Phoenix Sports or Ramsgate
  46. Kempston Rovers v Beaconsfield Town
  47. Folkestone Invicta v Leatherhead
  48. Merstham v East Grinstead Town
  49. Tonbridge Angels v Whyteleafe
  50. Hendon v Staines Town
  51. VCD Athletic v Leiston
  52. Mildenhall Town v Greenwich Borough
  53. Metropolitan Police v Carshalton Athletic
  54. Canvey Island v Brightlingsea Regent
  55. Bracknell Town v Bognor Regis Town
  56. Whitehawk v Harlow Town
  57. Aveley v Dunstable Town
  58. Kings Langley v Needham Market
  59. Herne Bay v Witham Town
  60. Yate Town v Dorchester Town
  61. Gosport Borough v AFC Totton or North Leigh
  62. Cinderford Town v Street
  63. Larkhall Athletic or Thame United v Bristol Manor Farm
  64. Farnborough v Merthyr Town
  65. Fleet Town v Salisbury
  66. Taunton Town v Weymouth
  67. Thatcham Town v Melksham Town
  68. Poole Town v Frome Town
  69. Hartley Wintney v Tiverton Town
  70. Didcot Town v Mangotsfield United
  71. Basingstoke Town v Wimborne Town
  72. Swindon Supermarine v Banbury United

Great game for Bracknell, Bognor are currently 3rd in the Isthmian Premier and haven't been beaten yet. Think I'll go to that one rather than Swansea!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 Oct 2018 17:28

Four Of Clubs

Maybe it was just a bad day for them, but Bournemouth could have got 11 or 12. It really was that one sided. Bournemouth appeared to have some useful looking players (or they were made to look good), 3 of whom were subbed to rest them up. Be interesting to see how they go for the rest of the season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Oct 2018 17:19

Royal Rother
John Smith How can you go and watch that? Even I've played at a level higher than that

Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Oct 2018 17:19

Royal Rother
John Smith How can you go and watch that? Even I've played at a level higher than that

Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 17 Oct 2018 17:44

John Smith
Royal Rother

Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

Although technically a higher level, the standard of football is almost identical.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2018 18:43

John Smith
Royal Rother

Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

Strange name for a club, where do they play?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Oct 2018 21:28

John Smith
Royal Rother

Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

:lol:

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 18 Oct 2018 21:51

Stolen from BBC news about St Neots Towns FA Cup run so far.

"St Neots Town have lived what you might call a charmed life so far in the competition, showing the kind of escapology that Harry Houdini would be proud of.

Just look at the Cambridgeshire team's run...

First qualifying round v Bishop Stortford - played for an hour with 10 men but made it through
Second qualifying round v Romulus - were 3-0 down but fought back to win 4-3
Third qualifying round v Coalville Town - 2-0 down with 10 mins left but drew 2-2
Third qualifying round replay v Coalville Town - 3-1 down after 89 mins but drew 3-3 and won on penalties"

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 18 Oct 2018 21:52

Also one for the stattos....

In recent seasons which team/s have been the lowest ever ranked to make it into the fa cup. What level is the ceiling for teams to be good enough to make it into the 1st round generally? Or even further to the third!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Oct 2018 09:12

Royal Rother
John Smith
Royal Rother
Who do you watch?

Reading obviously

:lol:

Sorry for supporting the team whose forum this is.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2018 09:29

We all do, but I guess the irony of you taking people to task about the standard of non league football, when you watch the rubbish served up by RFC, may have passed you by.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Oct 2018 12:03

Royal Rother We all do, but I guess the irony of you taking people to task about the standard of non league football, when you watch the rubbish served up by RFC, may have passed you by.

I'm not taking anyone to task. I love non-league but I think there is a limit to the standard anyone can watch, especially given that I have played at levels similar to what you give up your spare time and money to go and watch. Believe me, I get more than enough stick for supporting Reading so I can deal with it. It's clear you wouldn't know anything about that because you aren't a Reading supporter.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 19 Oct 2018 13:46

John Smith
Royal Rother We all do, but I guess the irony of you taking people to task about the standard of non league football, when you watch the rubbish served up by RFC, may have passed you by.

I'm not taking anyone to task. I love non-league but I think there is a limit to the standard anyone can watch, especially given that I have played at levels similar to what you give up your spare time and money to go and watch. Believe me, I get more than enough stick for supporting Reading so I can deal with it. It's clear you wouldn't know anything about that because you aren't a Reading supporter.

Who did you play for John Smith and when?

Good chance somebody that I know would have been playing the same time as you.

One of my wifes uncles played professional and semi-pro, last played wth Barry Hayles at Chesham, the other is a coach at Charlton and play very high level, was at Chelsea.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Oct 2018 13:58

Kulshaw72RFC
John Smith

One of my wifes uncles played professional and semi-pro, last played wth Barry Hayles at Chesham, the other is a coach at Charlton and play very high level, was at Chelsea.

I played for a local team fairly recently but nowhere near the level of Chesham.

Hope that helps.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 19 Oct 2018 14:01

John Smith
Kulshaw72RFC
John Smith I'm not taking anyone to task. I love non-league but I think there is a limit to the standard anyone can watch, especially given that I have played at levels similar to what you give up your spare time and money to go and watch. Believe me, I get more than enough stick for supporting Reading so I can deal with it. It's clear you wouldn't know anything about that because you aren't a Reading supporter.

I played for a local team fairly recently but nowhere near the level of Chesham.

Hope that helps.

Yes that does thank you John.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Oct 2018 14:33

Preview of this w/e NL incl FA 4Q in full :

Saturday 20th October

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

01 Guiseley v Stourbridge
02 Warrington v F.C. Halifax Town
03 Chorley v Barrow
04 Hartlepool United v Kidsgrove Athletic
05 A.F.C. Fylde v Chesterfield
06 Southport v Ashton United
07 Blyth Spartans v York City
08 Harrogate Town v Wrexham
09 Dunston U.T.S. v Gateshead 12:30 Live B.B.C. Sport
10 Stockport County v Altrincham
11 Marine v Salford City
12 Witton Albion v Solihull Moors
13 Alfreton Town v St. Neots Town
14 Woking v Welling United
15 Hitchin Town v Leatherhead
16 Chippenham Town v Maidenhead United
17 Eastbourne Borough v Slough Town
18 Hemel Hempstead Town v Oxford City
19 Weston super Mare v Bath City
20 Boreham Wood v Dagenham & Redbridge
21 Metropolitan Police v Havant and Waterloovile
22 Gloucester City v Bromley
23 Aldershot Town v Kettering Town
24 Torquay United v Winchester City
25 Billericay Town v Taunton Town
26 Eastleigh v Hampton & Richmond Borough
27 Wealdstone v Sutton United
28 Ebbsfleet United v Worthing
29 Maidstone United v Leyton Orient
30 Haringey Borough v Poole Town
31 Barnet v Braintree Town
32 Concord Rangers v Dover Athletic

NATN
Brackley Town v Spennymoor Town
NATS
East Thurrock United v Hungerford Town

ILP
Dorking Wanderers v Wingate & Finchley
IL1-SC
Ashford Town (Middx) v Westfield
Bedfont Sports v Molesey
Chalfont St Peter v FC Romania
Cheshunt v Marlow
Chipstead v Waltham Abbey
Egham Town v Tooting & Mitcham United
Hanwell Town v Ware
Hertford Town v Hayes & Yeading United
Northwood v South Park
Uxbridge v Bracknell Town

SLP-C
Banbury United v Royston Town
SLP-S
Chesham United v Tiverton Town
Farnborough v Salisbury
Hartley Wintney v Kings Langley
Merthyr Town v Beaconsfield Town
Staines Town v Basingstoke Town
SL1-C
Aylesbury v Peterborough Sports
Coleshill Town v Aylesbury United
North Leigh v Cambridge City
Thame United v Kempston Rovers
Welwyn Garden City v Kidlington
Yaxley v Didcot Town
SL1-S
Slimbridge v Fleet Town
Thatcham Town
v Street
Yate Town v Highworth Town

CCLP
AFC Hayes v Colliers Wood United
Balham v Horley Town
Camberley Town v Southall
CB Hounslow United v Abbey Rangers
Hanworth Villa v Sutton Common Rovers
Knaphill v Banstead Athletic
Raynes Park Vale v Spelthorne Sports
Redhill v Cobham
Walton & Hersham v Chertsey Town
CCL1
Ash United v AC London
Bagshot v Kensington Borough
Bedfont & Feltham v FC Deportivo Galicia
Chessington & Hook United v Sheerwater
Cove
v Tooting Bec
Farnham Town v Epsom & Ewell
Fleet Spurs v Frimley Green
Godalming Town
v British Airways
Sandhurst Town v Eversley & California

HELLP
Holmer Green v Virginia Water
Lydney Town v Flackwell Heath
Royal Wootton Bassett Town v Brackley Town Saints
Shrivenham v Ascot United
HELL1E
Burnham v Wallingford Town
HELL1W
Pewsey Vale v New College Swindon
Hellenic Challenge Cup
Abingdon United v Tuffley Rovers
Ardley United v Malmesbury Victoria
Bishops Cleeve v Kidlington Development
Brimscombe & Thrupp v Abingdon Town
Chinnor v Risborough Rangers Reserves
Clanfield (85) v Woodley United
Easington Sports v Wantage Town

- Saw the ‘Freds’ scrape past a very spirited and able Langley, from 2 divisions below in the First Round tie at Holyport last night (Thu)
- Game started 10’ late as the HOME side were delayed by traffic! :P
- Ref disallowed a goal for Wantage with the score at 1-1 just as we entered injury time. Goal initially awarded then, as the sides lined up to re-start, he changed his mind having spoken to his assistant, who hadn’t flagged during the move that led to the goal.
- Eventually underway again only for a Wantage forward to burst clear and win the tie anyway on 97’
- Can see a bright future for Langley, if they can stay at a decent enough venue or ‘find’ one they can develop, nearer home, over the other side of Sluff p’raps?

Fairford Town v AFC Aldermaston
Longlevens v Thatcham Town Development
Thornbury Town v Binfield
Windsor
v Holyport
Wokingham & Emmbrook
v Reading City @ Larges Lane

WESSP
Bournemouth v Tadley Calleva
Cowes Sports v Alresford Town
Hamworthy United v Andover New Street
WESS1
Amesbury Town v Alton
Folland Sports v Andover Town
Petersfield Town
v East Cowes Victoria
Whitchurch United v Romsey Town
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 20 Oct 2018 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

10440 posts