The Non - League thread

10521 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Sutekh » 03 May 2018 17:33

Stranded
Sutekh
John Smith Chose to watch this one over Liverpool and wasn't disappointed! Ebbsfleet missed a pen in normal time and Aldershot led 3-1 at one point in the shootout with two match-winning opportunities spurned before they were made to pay. Amazing scenes.

Not sure I agree with the new format though - if Ebbsfleet/Boreham Wood/Fylde were to be promoted they will need to win 3 games!

Personally I would do away with penalty shoot outs in all play off games. If level at 90 then certainly extra time but just no shootouts.

How would you decide games then? Additional extra time with golden goal rule? or highest ranked team goes through if a draw occurs?

Yep, club that finished the highest wins.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2018 17:59

That would make for some very negative and boring games though. You may as well do away with the play offs if you go down that route.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 03 May 2018 21:01

Good game so far between Boreham Wood and AFC Fylde.

Nice to see some new faces in the play offs and could get in the League. Sutton are my favourites to go up, then BW. currently 2-1 up

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 May 2018 21:33

Hoop Blah That would make for some very negative and boring games though. You may as well do away with the play offs if you go down that route.

I'd be a very brave home club that tries to play for a 0-0 for two hours.

It'd also mean that any away side that's not in front in extra time would have to push forward to score a winner, or know they are knocked out. You wouldn't get two teams settling for penalties.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 May 2018 07:49

Hartley Wintney set to be promoted, regardless of the result in their play off final v Cambridge City. They are the highest point scorers of all the play off finalists at step 4 and will replace the now defunct Thurrock.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2018 09:10

Hoop Blah That would make for some very negative and boring games though. You may as well do away with the play offs if you go down that route.

Or not. You can equally argue that some teams just play to get to penalties like that dreadful Reading v Huddersfield final last year. At least that way someone has to throw everything at getting a win.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 May 2018 09:25

Double d v2 Good game so far between Boreham Wood and AFC Fylde.

Nice to see some new faces in the play offs and could get in the League. Sutton are my favourites to go up, then BW. currently 2-1 up

Sutton will have the issue of having to rip up their pitch and lay a grass one if they go up. They are in the strange situation where it is probably better for them financially to remain in the National League. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost their semi final.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 04 May 2018 09:48

Stranded

Sutton will have the issue of having to rip up their pitch and lay a grass one if they go up. They are in the strange situation where it is probably better for them financially to remain in the National League. Wouldn't surprise me if they lost their semi final.

Yes that is true. Bizarrely enough. the FA should just let them in I don't get the issue. Think I read somewhere if they get promoted they will actually end up getting relegated (unsure if I misunderstood that meaning to conf s or back to conf)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 May 2018 09:51

Double d v2
Stranded

Yes that is true. Bizarrely enough. the FA should just let them in I don't get the issue. Think I read somewhere if they get promoted they will actually end up getting relegated (unsure if I misunderstood that meaning to conf s or back to conf)

They should let them in despite it being massively against the rules? Yep that will be fine I am sure...........

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 May 2018 09:52

Double d v2
Stranded

Football League are the issue here not the FA, would need a vote of current members to change the rules and not sure there would be the appetite or time to do so to allow Sutton in. The FA allow the pitch in the FA Cup.

Yes, if Sutton win the play-offs and either refuse/do not meet criteria to get promoted then under the current rules they would be relegated back to Conference South. I don't think they will win the play-offs.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 04 May 2018 12:42

Stranded
Double d v2
Stranded

Football League are the issue here not the FA, would need a vote of current members to change the rules and not sure there would be the appetite or time to do so to allow Sutton in. The FA allow the pitch in the FA Cup.

Yes, if Sutton win the play-offs and either refuse/do not meet criteria to get promoted then under the current rules they would be relegated back to Conference South. I don't think they will win the play-offs.

TBH If they get relegated they will probably end up losing the Semis "accidently on purpose" to Boreham wood.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 May 2018 13:24

Might be worth seeing if there's a little extra value in betting against them going up then.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 May 2018 13:28

Double d v2
Stranded
Double d v2

TBH If they get relegated they will probably end up losing the Semis "accidently on purpose" to Boreham wood.

Not saying they would through the game but wouldn't surprise me if they are not fully at it given they may not actually want to go up.

I think I read somewhere that Sutton's pitch is used 5 days out of 7 most weeks, must drive a lot of revenue. That would have to stop if they return to grass and not sure the money on offer in L2 would cover those losses esp. as player wages would rise too. Sure I also read that Sutton are content to be a "big" Non-League club and have to real desire to be in the League.

Of course if they get to that position, will be interesting to see what happens.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 04 May 2018 19:11

Stranded
Double d v2
Stranded

Not saying they would through the game but wouldn't surprise me if they are not fully at it given they may not actually want to go up.

I think I read somewhere that Sutton's pitch is used 5 days out of 7 most weeks, must drive a lot of revenue. That would have to stop if they return to grass and not sure the money on offer in L2 would cover those losses esp. as player wages would rise too. Sure I also read that Sutton are content to be a "big" Non-League club and have to real desire to be in the League.

Of course if they get to that position, will be interesting to see what happens.

FWIW, I am hoping either Boreham Wood, Ebbsfleet or Sutton go up anyway.

I am pretty sure Tramere are good enough to at least be in the final. BW would be a nice "small" team to have in L2.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 May 2018 21:22

Tony Le Mesmer Hartley Wintney set to be promoted, regardless of the result in their play off final v Cambridge City. They are the highest point scorers of all the play off finalists at step 4 and will replace the now defunct Thurrock.

What happens if they win? Who gets the place they'd have been given by default if they'd lost?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2018 09:49

Out of interest what is the FL's reasoning behind keeping modern artificial pitches out of the league or is it just member club's attitudes?

I presume the PL would also object and do other European leagues allow them?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 May 2018 12:07

tmesis
Tony Le Mesmer Hartley Wintney set to be promoted, regardless of the result in their play off final v Cambridge City. They are the highest point scorers of all the play off finalists at step 4 and will replace the now defunct Thurrock.

What happens if they win? Who gets the place they'd have been given by default if they'd lost?

...not sure the FA has actually tied down a response to that eventuality - don't know who the next best PPG at STEP04 are, involved in this w/e's PO Finals - HW reportedly playing it low-key that they are up in any event, as it detracts rather from the import of today's Final?

Will keep delving and see what the big Anorak in the sky decrees.... :mrgreen:

Here's the drib/drabs 'n dregs for this W/e - will post up a B/H preview later tomorrow

- In a rush as usual - heading way off west (M4/5 permitting) to say farewell to Chard's Zembard Lane - has a slope with a gradient that now falls foul of the FA Ground Grading; so apparently the hosts will need to move or drop. :(

Not sure if I've quite got the measurements tied down here but was described to me as follows: A 6' player standing on the Centre spot has his boots on a level with one crossbar and his head on a level with the other goal-line?

Sat 5th May
NAT PO S-F
12.15pm Tranmere Rovers v Ebbsfleet United

IL1S PO Final
Corinthian Casuals v Walton Casuals

SL Championship Game (Winners 1 West v 1 East)
Taunton Town v Beaconsfield Town @ Taunton

Sun 6th May

NAT PO S-F
Sutton United v Boreham Wood
NATN PO S-Fs
Brackley Town v Bradford (Park Avenue)
Harrogate Town v Chorley
NATS PO S-Fs
Chelmsford City v Hampton & Richmond Borough
Dartford v Braintree Town
IL1N PO Final
Haringey Borough v Canvey Island

SL PO Finals are all on BH Monday PM

CCLP
AFC Hayes v Godalming Town
Chertsey Town
v Balham
Knaphill v CB Hounslow United
North Greenford United v Horley Town
CCL1
Farleigh Rovers v Fleet Spurs
Raynes Park Vale v Badshot Lea
Sheerwater
v Cove
South Park Reserves v Kensington Borough
CCL D1 Cup
Eversley & California v Staines Lammas @ Windsor FC

B&B Int
14:00 Penn & Tylers Green Res' v Delaford @ Ab Utd Northcourt

...and a few more oddities for some of you to consider trundling out for, in this nice weather ..... 8)

NBFL-1 14:30
Berinsfield v Westminster

SEIL
Godalming & Farncombe Athletic v AFC Spelthorne Sports
@ Godalming Town FC
Laleham v Royal Holloway Old Boys
@ Laleham FC
Merrow v Tooting Bec
@ Merrow FC

TVLP 14:00
Reading YMCA v Woodcote Stoke Row @ The Cauldron Padworth
Woodley United Royals v Cookham Dean UofR Bulmershe Pavilion 2

Wycombe 14:00
Great Missenden v Prestwood Buryfields, Great Missenden HP16 0AL
Hazlemere Sports v AFC Amersham Hazlemere Recreation Ground, HP15 7QW

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 May 2018 09:36

Sutekh Out of interest what is the FL's reasoning behind keeping modern artificial pitches out of the league or is it just member club's attitudes?

I presume the PL would also object and do other European leagues allow them?

I think it's because the FL deem it a huge advantage to the side who play their home matches on the artificial pitch. I can see that point to a degree if I am honest.
It would be a real shame for the community if clubs like Sutton have to rip up their pitch in order to have a grass one. Loads of local kids use the facilities there and that would change if they went back to grass.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 May 2018 13:34

Results from yesterday:

Sat 5th May
NAT PO S-F
Tranmere Rovers 4-2 Ebbsfleet United

IL1S PO Final
Corinthian Casuals 0-0 Walton Casuals – Walton Casuals win 4-2 on agg

SL Championship Game (Winners 1 West v 1 East)
Taunton Town 4-2 Beaconsfield Town @ Taunton

CCLP
AFC Hayes 3-1 Godalming Town
Abbey Rangers 3-1 Westfield
Chertsey Town
3-0 Balham
Knaphill 1-1 CB Hounslow United
North Greenford United 7-1 Horley Town
CCL1
Farleigh Rovers 2-2 Fleet Spurs
Raynes Park Vale 2-0 Badshot Lea
Sheerwater 4-3 Cove - ‘Sheers’ grab 2nd spot temporarily but both Cobham and Baggy Lea can overtake them if they win their last fixture; Cobham’s at S.Park Reserves not fixed yet but BL go to Staines Lammas on BH Monday AM

South Park Reserves 4-2 Kensington Borough
CCL D1 Cup
Eversley & California 0-2 Staines Lammas@ Windsor FC

NBFL-1
Berinsfield 4-0 Westminster

SEIL
Godalming & Farncombe Athletic 5-1 AFC Spelthorne Sports
Laleham 0-2 Royal Holloway Old Boys
Merrow 1-4 Tooting Bec

TVLP
Reading YMCA 5-0 Woodcote Stoke Row
Woodley United Royals PP Cookham Dean - Royals unable to raise a team

Wycombe
Great Missenden 3-3 Prestwood
Hazlemere Sports 5-2 AFC Amersham

...I did get to WEST1 Chard 0-1 Chippenham Park but the queueus on the M4 beyond Chippenham & clustered on the M5 south past Portishead and again at Burnham-on-Sea, where they'd closed an exit slip and had to cope with an accident by the looks of it - made for a very frustrating journey down. Missed most of 1st half (which was 0-0 thankfully)
The slope was pretty marked too.
Only a few left to 'tick' in the Western now but two are long-range (Bridport & Buckland)
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 06 May 2018 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 May 2018 14:07

Apparently there was a whole load of crowd trouble at the battle of the Casuals game yesterday and the police were called in :shock:

10521 posts