Liam Moore to Brighton

489 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Liam Moore to Brighton

by Zip » 26 May 2018 10:21

genome Two bites straight away, good work TBM

“Shrugs shoulders”. Nothing would surprise me with Tevreden.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 26 May 2018 10:32

Makes sense to me. A decent-ish fee for Moore (who was well off the boil over the past couple of months) and that gives Clement some cash to splash.... and possibly Elphick on a free?

Just need to move out some of the dead wood - McShane and VDB for starters, and possibly pick up a fee for Gunter (although I'm in the 'big fan' camp.)

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 26 May 2018 10:55

If Moore does go there are other options that wouldn't cost a fortune. PC might want to team up with Kyle Bartley again.

Spud Gun
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ...

by Spud Gun » 26 May 2018 11:22

This whole thread must be a wind up. How is Moore replaceable? He’s pacey, good on the ball, a warrior at the back and gave his all every game.

Sure his form dipped this season but every player's did. You try playing in defence alongside the hopeless Gunter, Blackett and (at the time) Ilori and see what that does for your confidence. Also the lack of protection from our weak midfield meant our defence faced wave after wave of attacks and were overworked in almost every game.

Moore is one of the best centre backs to play for Reading since Ingimarsson and Sonko IMHO. Finding a similar player who will want to join Reading, fit in to our wage structure and also be motivated to perform well (not see it as a step down) will be very challenging.

I'd be gutted if Liam left. Given today's market, anything less than £10m is daylight robbery. Also, if Liam wants to move (and who could blame him after this season) he needs to have a word with his agent because he should be aiming for a better Prem team than Brighton.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 May 2018 11:27

Spud Gun This whole thread must be a wind up. How is Moore replaceable? He’s pacey, good on the ball, a warrior at the back and gave his all every game.

Sure his form dipped this season but every player's did. You try playing in defence alongside the hopeless Gunter, Blackett and (at the time) Ilori and see what that does for your confidence. Also the lack of protection from our weak midfield meant our defence faced wave after wave of attacks and were overworked in almost every game.

Moore is one of the best centre backs to play for Reading since Ingimarsson and Sonko IMHO. Finding a similar player who will want to join Reading, fit in to our wage structure and also be motivated to perform well (not see it as a step down) will be very challenging.

I'd be gutted if Liam left. Given today's market, anything less than £10m is daylight robbery. Also, if Liam wants to move (and who could blame him after this season) he needs to have a word with his agent because he should be aiming for a better Prem team than Brighton.

Pretty much agree with all of this. A very good player who gave everything to the cause and always looked like he really cared.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 May 2018 11:37

I reckon the fee for him would be a whole lot more than £3m

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 26 May 2018 12:02

Wouldn't blame him if he fancies a season or two fighting relegation from the top rather than the second flight.

However, anything less than £8 million would be a joke.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 26 May 2018 12:33

I read somewhere that Moore is on 30k a week. Assuming this is true then the remainder of his 3 year contract is worth £4.6m (contracted wages) + expenditure of 1m original purchase price + £3.1 wages paid over the first 2 contracted years. This would mean that the club would be valuing the player at circa £8.7m. Unless there’s a Brighton player we’re interested in as a makeweight, then I would have thought this is where Moore’s value will be pitched to any club making enquireis.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2018 13:41

Spud Gun This whole thread must be a wind up. How is Moore replaceable? He’s pacey, good on the ball, a warrior at the back and gave his all every game.

This msy shock you but there are literally hundreds of centre backs in the world. A lot will be available to us. Some will be better, others worse, some about the same.

Moore, whilst great, is completely replaceable. Who knows we may even improve the team overall with any money we might get for him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 May 2018 14:01

I think it all depends on how you define replaceable, we can replace him with another centre back, there's no doubt in that at all, but one of a similar quality? Nope, can't see it, the scouting team deserves a lot of credit for not only identifying Moore but also pursuing him as strongly as they did, £1m for Moore in hindsight was an absolute steal, especially considering we mugged them off for £5m in the Mills deal.

tl;dr, we can replace him but unlikely to be a player of the same quality.

Now, whether we can strengthen the team as a whole by selling Moore is another matter.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 26 May 2018 14:53

Oilroyal I read somewhere that Moore is on 30k a week. Assuming this is true then the remainder of his 3 year contract is worth £4.6m (contracted wages) + expenditure of 1m original purchase price + £3.1 wages paid over the first 2 contracted years. This would mean that the club would be valuing the player at circa £8.7m. Unless there’s a Brighton player we’re interested in as a makeweight, then I would have thought this is where Moore’s value will be pitched to any club making enquireis.

:?

Is that how it's done on Football Manager?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 26 May 2018 16:07

The Reverend
Oilroyal I read somewhere that Moore is on 30k a week. Assuming this is true then the remainder of his 3 year contract is worth £4.6m (contracted wages) + expenditure of 1m original purchase price + £3.1 wages paid over the first 2 contracted years. This would mean that the club would be valuing the player at circa £8.7m. Unless there’s a Brighton player we’re interested in as a makeweight, then I would have thought this is where Moore’s value will be pitched to any club making enquireis.

:?

Is that how it's done on Football Manager?

I wouldn’t know. I've never played the game or owned a device to play such games on. But it’s how it’s approached when negotiating any asset tied to a contract. It’s just business. Profit/loss, assets, gains and forecasting. Is that like the game you refer to?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 May 2018 17:25

TBM £3m fee agreed

:cry:

With what add-ins? Unlikely to be straight cash deal.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2018 17:39

Lower West
TBM £3m fee agreed

:cry:

With what add-ins? Unlikely to be straight cash deal.

A season loan to... Reading next season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2018 17:44

Oilroyal If Moore does go there are other options that wouldn't cost a fortune. PC might want to team up with Kyle Bartley again.

Signing Bartley would be good. Also be a good way to annoy Leeds fans who rate him and would like him to go there in the summer. Sadly I would expect Mawson to move to a PL club in the summer and Bartley to therefore move up the pecking order at Swansea.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 26 May 2018 20:17

I can confirm there was no bid made. Brighton have made an enquiry asking if we offered this figure, would you accept. The figure was lower than £4m

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 May 2018 10:59

I know this is a bit off topic but Robert Huth is being released by Leicester, I know he’s 33 but could do another year or 2 in the championship and is a great leader. Would be really gd behind the scenes and low risk as a free. Might be the type of player clement would look at. I would find it hard to choose between him and Elphick.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 May 2018 14:43

linkenholtroyal I know this is a bit off topic but Robert Huth is being released by Leicester, I know he’s 33 but could do another year or 2 in the championship and is a great leader. Would be really gd behind the scenes and low risk as a free. Might be the type of player clement would look at. I would find it hard to choose between him and Elphick.

What's the latest on his injuries? Is it for sure he wants to keep playing rather than retire? He didn't play once this past season due to ankle and foot problems. Good CB though, and scores goals too.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 May 2018 17:39

Denver Royal
linkenholtroyal I know this is a bit off topic but Robert Huth is being released by Leicester, I know he’s 33 but could do another year or 2 in the championship and is a great leader. Would be really gd behind the scenes and low risk as a free. Might be the type of player clement would look at. I would find it hard to choose between him and Elphick.

What's the latest on his injuries? Is it for sure he wants to keep playing rather than retire? He didn't play once this past season due to ankle and foot problems. Good CB though, and scores goals too.

From what I can gather he is pretty much fit again and been doing u23 games for Leicester, he has just been replaced in the meantime by Maguire. He has not said much on his future so hence retirement rumours.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2018 18:26

Sounds a bit high risk, short term and pricey.

Coming off PL wages, injury trouble and a season without playing competitive football. I'd rather stick with McShane for experience.

Huth is undoubtedly better, but that only helps if he plays 30+ games. You want your CBs to play with the same partner (s) every week. I have serious doubts he'd represent good value.

But then I'm not sure what all the fuss about Elphick is... loaned in to get games after recovering from injury.. immediately got injured and then in his firstgame back was immediately at fault in two daft goals.

489 posts