CONFIMRED - Sam Baldock

195 posts
User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2866
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: Sam Baldock

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 15:29

IRjAy wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
IRjAy wrote:Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!


18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Hardly prolific is it.


Good amount of assists in there too, but don't let that stop you judging him before he signs.


Who the oxf*rd was talking about his assists you silly prick? He's not prolific in front of goal. Are you arguing that?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3793
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: Sam Baldock

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 15:31

winchester_royal wrote:
Stranded wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Hardly prolific is it.


Was often playing a secondary role to either Murray or Hemed.

Is a very good player at this level and should be a signing that is welcomed. For those who aren't impressed, who would you sign that is realistically available to us?


The issue for these people is that he's not got a sexy foreign name or profile.

If his name was Baldockinho and he was coming over from the Ukranian Second Division they'd probably be much more excited. But because he's experienced and English it's 'underwhelming'.

Fortunately we don't let these people be in charge of transfers.

Did you just use the Sam "Allerdici" argument non-ironically?
If so you should go have a long hard look in the mirror.

russyb
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 13:16
Location: Basingstoke

Re: Sam Baldock

by russyb » 17 Jul 2018 15:32

Hound wrote:
CountryRoyal wrote:Sorry to be all doom and gloom but thoroughly underwhelmed at this (and if this concludes it) our entire summer’s transfers both in and out.


Who realistically were you expecting to come in?

Meyler and Yiadom - 2 experienced quality payers to fill in big issues we had at FB and CM last year
McNulty and Baldock - 2 strikers with a record of scoring goals. Admittedly both a bit of a punt, but unless you are paying 10m, they always are.
O'Shea - yeah rubbish signing, but wont play much.

We're on the way to getting rid of Yann, Joey and Evans so far, with prob a few more to come. Meite seems like he will be an option coming back off loan

We've kept hold of Moore (so far), and got a couple of decent young keepers to sign up again

Would like to know realistically what you were thinking would, or even might happen this summer


Well said Hound, there has to be a sense (common sense) of what is realistic and possible for a club of our size. We are bringing in players used to this environment too for reasonable cost.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3793
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: Sam Baldock

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 15:43

18 goals and 9 assists in 5878 minutes for anyone wondering which is a goal or assist every 218 minutes making him slightly better than Pogrebnyak at g/a every 225 minutes for us and much better than Blackman with g/a every 234 minutes. Happy?

User avatar
linkenholtroyal
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: 09 Jan 2015 17:18
Location: anywhere but where you want me

Re: Sam Baldock

by linkenholtroyal » 17 Jul 2018 15:46

russyb wrote:
Hound wrote:
CountryRoyal wrote:Sorry to be all doom and gloom but thoroughly underwhelmed at this (and if this concludes it) our entire summer’s transfers both in and out.


Who realistically were you expecting to come in?

Meyler and Yiadom - 2 experienced quality payers to fill in big issues we had at FB and CM last year
McNulty and Baldock - 2 strikers with a record of scoring goals. Admittedly both a bit of a punt, but unless you are paying 10m, they always are.
O'Shea - yeah rubbish signing, but wont play much.

We're on the way to getting rid of Yann, Joey and Evans so far, with prob a few more to come. Meite seems like he will be an option coming back off loan

We've kept hold of Moore (so far), and got a couple of decent young keepers to sign up again

Would like to know realistically what you were thinking would, or even might happen this summer


Well said Hound, there has to be a sense (common sense) of what is realistic and possible for a club of our size. We are bringing in players used to this environment too for reasonable cost.

+1 these are experienced championship players some with experience of how to get out of the division. I would take this any day over Stams youth and foreign punts. Only players he signed that have come good so far are Moore and barrow rest are a bit meh.


User avatar
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 12590
Joined: 28 Aug 2007 21:32
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Sam Baldock

by winchester_royal » 17 Jul 2018 15:59

NewCorkSeth wrote:
winchester_royal wrote:
The issue for these people is that he's not got a sexy foreign name or profile.

If his name was Baldockinho and he was coming over from the Ukranian Second Division they'd probably be much more excited. But because he's experienced and English it's 'underwhelming'.

Fortunately we don't let these people be in charge of transfers.

Did you just use the Sam "Allerdici" argument non-ironically?
If so you should go have a long hard look in the mirror.


Ah yes, the old ‘I’m not going to actually counter any of your points but just try a juvenile put down instead’ style of debating. Masterful.

Fact is that for some reason people would have been happier if we’d signed someone like a Pukki even though they don’t have half the experience or record of Baldock.

Football fans are the most guilty of anyone when it comes to judging a book by its cover.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3793
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: Sam Baldock

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 16:10

winchester_royal wrote:
NewCorkSeth wrote:
winchester_royal wrote:
The issue for these people is that he's not got a sexy foreign name or profile.

If his name was Baldockinho and he was coming over from the Ukranian Second Division they'd probably be much more excited. But because he's experienced and English it's 'underwhelming'.

Fortunately we don't let these people be in charge of transfers.

Did you just use the Sam "Allerdici" argument non-ironically?
If so you should go have a long hard look in the mirror.


Ah yes, the old ‘I’m not going to actually counter any of your points but just try a juvenile put down instead’ style of debating. Masterful.

Fact is that for some reason people would have been happier if we’d signed someone like a Pukki even though they don’t have half the experience or record of Baldock.

Football fans are the most guilty of anyone when it comes to judging a book by its cover.

Not sure Pukki was the best choice for making your point there. 64 international caps, 3rd place finish in the bundesliga, 3 league titles and experience playing in both the champions league and the Europa league with 3 different clubs. He is more experienced and has a better record than Baldock.

Now I'm neither for nor against Baldock as he hasn't signed for us so haven't thought about it too much but your argument is ridiculous. You are the one judging a book by its cover by suggesting football fans would get more excited by a "foreign name" which is the exact argument big Sam made.

Nobody on here appears to be judging Baldock on his nationality. They're judging him on his lack of goals and lack of profile. Which is fair enough.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2523
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Sam Baldock

by John Smith » 17 Jul 2018 16:52

NewCorkSeth wrote:18 goals and 9 assists in 5878 minutes for anyone wondering which is a goal or assist every 218 minutes making him slightly better than Pogrebnyak at g/a every 225 minutes for us and much better than Blackman with g/a every 234 minutes. Happy?

No. Not at all. Sam Baldock is coming to the club. If anyone is happy with that then they need to check themselves.

Regardless if we have no money to spend, teams like Nottingham Forest are splashing out big money for players and all we've got to counter it is Sam Baldock. He's crap lads, stop kidding yourselves.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 11583
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 18:25
Location: como no te voy a querer si fuiste de campeon de europa una y otra vez

Re: Sam Baldock

by sandman » 17 Jul 2018 17:03

John Smith wrote:
NewCorkSeth wrote:18 goals and 9 assists in 5878 minutes for anyone wondering which is a goal or assist every 218 minutes making him slightly better than Pogrebnyak at g/a every 225 minutes for us and much better than Blackman with g/a every 234 minutes. Happy?

No. Not at all. Sam Baldock is coming to the club. If anyone is happy with that then they need to check themselves.

Regardless if we have no money to spend, teams like Nottingham Forest are splashing out big money for players and all we've got to counter it is Sam Baldock. He's crap lads, stop kidding yourselves.


Indeed.

First McNumpty and now this.


Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3119
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: Sam Baldock

by Royalwaster » 17 Jul 2018 17:03

John Smith wrote:
NewCorkSeth wrote:18 goals and 9 assists in 5878 minutes for anyone wondering which is a goal or assist every 218 minutes making him slightly better than Pogrebnyak at g/a every 225 minutes for us and much better than Blackman with g/a every 234 minutes. Happy?

No. Not at all. Sam Baldock is coming to the club. If anyone is happy with that then they need to check themselves.

Regardless if we have no money to spend, teams like Nottingham Forest are splashing out big money for players and all we've got to counter it is Sam Baldock. He's crap lads, stop kidding yourselves.


Not sure what Nottingham has to do with anything. Yes they are spending a lot of money we don't have ...

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6297
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Sam Baldock

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 17:33

Indeed, for whatever reason they have suddenly got a ton of cash

No point comparing us to them

Again not really sure what people are expecting. Season before last he was excellent in a promotion winning side. Decent experience and will provide the movement we severely lacked last season.

Zip
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1282
Joined: 30 Dec 2017 17:39

Re: Sam Baldock

by Zip » 17 Jul 2018 17:37

It looks like Clement is having to work with a very limited budget. Far less than Stam was given last summer. If that’s the case then he will get what he can. If Moore stays then we will start the season with a stronger squad. OK other teams have strengthened but some like Ipswich haven’t.

I don’t expect too much from next season. Maybe mid to lower table with a bit of an improvement on last season.

It is what it is.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 972
Joined: 02 Jun 2004 10:58
Location: Between Emmer Green duck pond and The White Horse

Re: Sam Baldock

by Denver Royal » 17 Jul 2018 18:08

Royalwaster wrote:Not sure what Nottingham has to do with anything. Yes they are spending a lot of money we don't have ...


Well, I'd say it's relevant in that they, and other clubs, are who we will be competing against on the field. If we are going to finish in Top 10, as some are saying, that means we think there are currently only 8 or 9 teams better than us in this division. (Looking at the div, I'm not seeing that right now, but we'll see).

It's relative. We might think we've improved with our signings. (And we should, because if you don't, you are standing still and falling back). But even if we are improved, by how much comparatively? Have we done enough? Other teams will feel they have improved, too.

I personally have no knowledge of what money we have or don't have. Gourlay had hinted at a spending spree this Summer? Big money on a striker? Did Clement really sign on here, having been told there would be no money available? Maybe we have money, but are not spending it. Again, time will tell how prudent our approach is.


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3433
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Sam Baldock

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2018 18:49

Pretty pleased with this. It's nice to get back to some solid, if unspectacular signings rather spunking wads of cash on fancy shite who can't perform, like sodding Aluko.

Decent stepping stone to mid-table and allows us to build from there.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19427
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Sam Baldock

by genome » 17 Jul 2018 19:05

Old Man Andrews wrote:
IRjAy wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Hardly prolific is it.


Good amount of assists in there too, but don't let that stop you judging him before he signs.


Who the oxf*rd was talking about his assists you silly prick? He's not prolific in front of goal. Are you arguing that?


OMA... I enjoy your posts, you've improved a lot since coming here... but the name-calling is tiresome

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3793
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: Sam Baldock

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2018 19:57

genome wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
IRjAy wrote:
Good amount of assists in there too, but don't let that stop you judging him before he signs.


Who the oxf*rd was talking about his assists you silly prick? He's not prolific in front of goal. Are you arguing that?


OMA... I enjoy your posts, you've improved a lot since coming here... but the name-calling is tiresome

I thought silly prick was a term of endearment in England?

blythspartan
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: 05 Jun 2012 20:50

Re: Sam Baldock

by blythspartan » 17 Jul 2018 20:14

I'll be happy if we sign Baldock, he's a solid signing and I thought it would either be him or Bradshaw.

Cardiff, Millwall and Sheff Utd all made unspectacular signings last season and they were all better than us.

It looks like PC has a plan to build a team/squad with plenty of character and Championship experience and after the debacle of last season that'll do for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6297
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Sam Baldock

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 20:47

Yeah exactly that. Baldock knows the division, will work hard and provide some leadership up front

There’s a clear plan from PC to bring in experienced leaders and have the flair players - Swift, Barrow, Meite etc play round them. Feels much more solid than this time last year

I can’t see a play off push for us, but we should be solid mid

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2866
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: Sam Baldock

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 20:50

genome wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
IRjAy wrote:
Good amount of assists in there too, but don't let that stop you judging him before he signs.


Who the oxf*rd was talking about his assists you silly prick? He's not prolific in front of goal. Are you arguing that?


OMA... I enjoy your posts, you've improved a lot since coming here... but the name-calling is tiresome


Fine but I'm not going to stop with Kes. It's literally impossible to stop myself with him and probably should be encouraged.

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 304
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Sam Baldock

by TiagoIlori » 17 Jul 2018 22:43

People need to stop looking at goals and listen to people that have actually watched him play. He played a pivotal part in promotion when fit and thus would be a fantastic signing.

I still think we need another senior striker as Smith needs to go out on loan and it’s too soon for Loader. Hopefully we can find a half decent loanee hungry for first team football. Clement seems to be assembling a good squad, plenty of players who have points to prove.

195 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Jemzy, John Smith, Polonia, rocketredroyal, russyb, Scutterbucketz, Silver Fox, Theroyalbox and 75 guests

It is currently 20 Aug 2018 09:47