Players you'd like us to sign thread

741 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Players you'd like us to sign thread

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2019 14:04

WoodleyRoyal
Hendo
Elm Park Kid I just saw that Ashley Cole has joined Derby.

I know people are going to disagree - but that's exactly the sort of signing we should have made. If he's fit enough for Derby for half a season then he would have been a excellent cover at left-back until Obita returns.

He might have also added some confidence in the back four and brought a bit of hype to the club - like when Roberts joined.

I appreciate though that it's unlikely we were ever going to get him given Lampard's ties, but that's the sort of player we want at left-back now.

He's 38, people would've moaned. Wages might've been a problem as well.

we tried that before ala Wayne Bridge didn't work out well

I thought we were really unluck with Wayne Bridge. In the few games he played in he looked the business. (Bolton (a) on the first day particularly).

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 14:13

John Smith
WoodleyRoyal
Hendo

I thought we were really unluck with Wayne Bridge. In the few games he played in he looked the business. (Bolton (a) on the first day particularly).

not really, when signing a player in their twilight years, career-ending injuries are more likely than not. Now signing a club record transfer 28 year old that dies in an airplane crash before he even kicks a ball? ... thats unlucky

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Jan 2019 16:50

Elm Park Kid
CountryRoyal

I know people are going to disagree - but that's exactly the sort of signing we should have made. If he's fit enough for Derby for half a season then he would have been a excellent cover at left-back until Obita returns.

He might have also added some confidence in the back four and brought a bit of hype to the club - like when Roberts joined.

I appreciate though that it's unlikely we were ever going to get him given Lampard's ties, but that's the sort of player we want at left-back now.

If you mean a left back then you’re right. If you mean an aged expensive player in the twilight of his career looking to link up with his mate for a doddle and a pay check you’re absolutely wrong.

Also Roberts wasn’t a success because he “brought a hype factor” he was a success because of his on field contribution and the important goals he scored.

After people condoned signing crap like Meyler and O’Shea for their “off the pitch” influence, leadership etc I’d rather we actually try and sign players that can’t help us in a football match.

Don’t get me wrong Cole would still be an upgrade on Richards sure, but I’m more talking generally in terms of the type of signing.

Well if Lampard is just giving a friend a paycheck then the Derby management are being very generous. But i'm talking on the basis that Derby consider him a viable championship player.

Generally speaking i'm against bringing in aged 'glamour' players - O'Shea was such a wasteful signing. But as we have a very specific (and hopefully temporary) problem at left-back then I would be perfectly happy paying inflated wages for half a season to bring in someone with great experience.

Of course Roberts was genuine quality, but most people agree that he also changed the atmosphere at the club and increased our belief that we were good enough to go up.

Leighton Baines?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Jan 2019 16:50

WoodleyRoyal
John Smith
WoodleyRoyal

not really, when signing a player in their twilight years, career-ending injuries are more likely than not. Now signing a club record transfer 28 year old that dies in an airplane crash before he even kicks a ball? ... thats unlucky

too soon?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jan 2019 18:30

WoodleyRoyal
John Smith
WoodleyRoyal

not really, when signing a player in their twilight years, career-ending injuries are more likely than not.

Bridge had played a full season the year before, getting into the PFA team, so his fitness wasn’t a big issue so it was a bit unlucky that he picked up an injury bad enough to finish him off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2019 19:05

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Would have been worth it for a few months purely for the help he could have given Omar Richards.

Is shooting Omar with a bb gun really going to help his game.

Terrible suggestion. No way Cole is worth it at 38, would have any interest in a relegation fight or be affordable.

We have 4 fit ayers who can play LB ffs

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2019 19:24

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Would have been worth it for a few months purely for the help he could have given Omar Richards.

Is shooting Omar with a bb gun really going to help his game.

Terrible suggestion. No way Cole is worth it at 38, would have any interest in a relegation fight or be affordable.

We have 4 fit ayers who can play LB ffs

No he will teach him all the things that made him the best left back in the world you arse. Cole is a grown up and hasn't been in any trouble for years. That post confirms beyond doubt how much you've lost it. You're now a parody poster Ian.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 12:39

Would like a permanent decent left back, would round off this transfer window nicely. Joe Mattock at Rotherham is a realistic target as is Bryan Oviedo at Sunderland.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 23 Jan 2019 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 23 Jan 2019 12:48

Old Man Andrews Would like a permanent decent left back, would round off this transfer window nicely. Joe Mattock at Rotherham is a realistic target as is Byan Oviedo at Sunderland.

+1 to joe mattock always rated him

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2019 14:19

Mattock's a good shout, although doubt Rotherham would be too keen to sell him to a relegation rival. Would imagine that's us done now, unless Ilori goes. Good to get it all done reasonably early, no fcuking about on deadline day.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 14:25

Pepe the Horseman Mattock's a good shout, although doubt Rotherham would be too keen to sell him to a relegation rival. Would imagine that's us done now, unless Ilori goes. Good to get it all done reasonably early, no fcuking about on deadline day.

+1, wouldn't expecting anything else to happen (incoming), unless the opportunity presents itself and is too good to turn down.

Outgoings, things could happen right up to the deadline.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 14:28

Desperately want us to get rid of Baldock, Mannone, Walker, McShane, Meyler, O'Shea and McNulty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2019 16:03

Bored of signing players now. All about removing the dead wood

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2019 17:42

Old Man Andrews Desperately want us to get rid of Baldock, Mannone, Walker, McShane, Meyler, O'Shea and McNulty.

Yep the squad remains bloated. I can see us selling McNulty at a cut price to Sunderland. Surely a third tier promotion chasing side would be interested in taking Baldock on loan even if we have to pay part of his wages.
I doubt McShane will leave as he’s injured. As for the rest God help. We will find it difficult to move any of them on.

It just shows how dire our transfer dealings have been as most of the above have been bought in the past year and a bit.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jan 2019 13:28

Zip
Old Man Andrews Desperately want us to get rid of Baldock, Mannone, Walker, McShane, Meyler, O'Shea and McNulty.

Yep the squad remains bloated. I can see us selling McNulty at a cut price to Sunderland. Surely a third tier promotion chasing side would be interested in taking Baldock on loan even if we have to pay part of his wages.
I doubt McShane will leave as he’s injured. As for the rest God help. We will find it difficult to move any of them on.

It just shows how dire our transfer dealings have been as most of the above have been bought in the past year and a bit.

Without doubt. Tevreden and Gourlay's heads deserved to roll for those tragic wage leeches

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jan 2019 08:07

Cole was trash in the MLS farmers league :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2019 10:01

John Smith
Zip

Without doubt. Tevreden and Gourlay's heads deserved to roll for those tragic wage leeches

Just wondering how many of all those brought in since the play off final have actually been a success?

Don't especially think any of them have been outstanding.

Bod, Barrow, Bacuna and probably Yiadom have probably been the best of the bunch but how many of those would actually be any more than squad players rather than regular starting XI in a good promotion challenging championship team?

Reading should have been replacing and improving after that final not going backwards.

When was the last time you were even "whelmed" by a Reading purchase?

Looking at Gomes' first window I don't think you can criticise on the personnel brought in given the club's situation and I would say they've probably done the best they can do to give the club a chance of staying up, it might also get some of those earlier signings playing and showing why they were brought to the club.

It might all be a colossal failure and fail to stop the club going down of course but at least it looks like they're going to try.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Jan 2019 10:36

Smith is saying on twitter that a potential new player is having a medical.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 11:33

Ilori replacement you'd think.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 25 Jan 2019 13:03

Pepe the Horseman Would imagine that's us done now

Nice sig x