RUMOUR: Brandon Fernandes

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

RUMOUR: Brandon Fernandes

by akranes » 16 Oct 2012 12:07

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 829733.cms

Interesting. He is believed to be a cross between Messi, Ronaldo and Heskey.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR: Brandon Fernandes

by Gordons Cumming » 16 Oct 2012 12:17

UrggH!!

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 16 Oct 2012 13:27

Randomly, a friend of mind from uni is his agent?! I've just seen a picture of the two of them at an airport and can confirm this guy is about 5ft6, Mayb he'll be our Indian Jermaine Defoe!

Good luck to him for his trial!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 16 Oct 2012 13:35

Messi - Yes
Ronaldo - Yes
Hesky - whaaaaaat?

Divvy

by Divvy » 16 Oct 2012 13:40

His agent asked us to Tikka chance on him. He'll Korma in and try and prove himself over the two weeks.

When asked what he'll sing to the team if he signs, he said he was torn between "Tears on my Pilau, I’m a Bhaji Girl or Jalfrezi Little Thing Called Love".

:oops:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 16 Oct 2012 13:43

Divvy His agent asked us to Tikka chance on him. He'll Korma in and try and prove himself over the two weeks.

When asked what he'll sing to the team if he signs, he said he was torn between "Tears on my Pilau, I’m a Bhaji Girl or Jalfrezi Little Thing Called Love".

On the trip over he'll be accompanied by his Naan.

Divvy

by Divvy » 16 Oct 2012 13:48

Alexander Litvinenko
Divvy His agent asked us to Tikka chance on him. He'll Korma in and try and prove himself over the two weeks.

On the trip over he'll be accompanied by his Naan.

And his Pappa Dom. (sic)

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 16 Oct 2012 13:54

akranes http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Reading-FC-offer-Brandon-Fernandes-two-week-trial/articleshow/16829733.cms

Interesting. He is believed to be a cross between Messi, Ronaldo and Heskey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4Ius1i-_c
0:19 I think that is him laughing manically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniZ6hr3 ... re=related
Pretty good goal.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 16 Oct 2012 14:42

Good to see traditional Berkshire Middle Class racism is still alive and well. Its a little embarrassing!!!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Oct 2012 14:53

moonwalklikebas Good to see traditional Berkshire Middle Class racism is still alive and well. Its a little embarrassing!!!

You're probably the only idiot here who misreads puns as racism. :roll:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Oct 2012 15:17

Contents of the above Times link

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Reading-FC-offer-Brandon-Fernandes-two-week-trial/articleshow/16829733.cms

PANAJI: The suspense over which English Premier League (EPL) club Brandon Fernandes has gone for trials has finally ended.

Brandon's UK based management company, Kemp Thornton, have been reluctant to name the club who offered the India junior international a two-week trial, but those in the know said Brandon, 18, is heading to Reading Football Club.

"Brandon is due to train at Reading FC for two weeks once he passes the medical test on Wednesday. Brandon is looking forward to the test," a source close to the footballer told TOI on Monday.

Brandon -- the only Indian footballer to play for all age-group teams -- has already left Cape Town in South Africa for London on Monday and is accompanied by Africa Soccer Development (ASD) Cape Town director Mike Steptoe.

Since being promoted to the English Premier League (EPL), Reading FC have been far from impressive. With no league wins from six matches, Brian McDermott's side is languishing in the relegation zone, thanks largely to the absence of star players and lack of confidence.

Despite the relative low profile of the club, until now a tightly-guarded secret, interest in Brandon's English assignment is soaring.

"The last 24 hours have been manic. Brandon's opportunity seems to have inspired Indians across the globe, and we have been swamped with emails and phone calls. It's fantastic and we can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings," a Kemp Thornton spokesperson said.

The news of Brandon's trial has created a buzz in football circles in South Asia and the one most excited remains ASD director Mike Steptoe, who, two years ago, was ridiculed for doing the scouting in cricket-crazy India.

"Everyone in football told me I was wasting my time looking in India for potential talent that could one day play in top European leagues, but we discovered that there is as much raw talent in India as everywhere else in the world. Brandon is a super talent and regardless of the outcome of this trial, we believe he has a future in professional soccer," said Steptoe. Brandons' father, Jaju Fernandes, a former executive committee member of the Goa Football Association, was nervous as well as excited.

"We have always dreamed of seeing our son play football at the highest level," said Jaju

Brandon comes from Goa which means, as you can probably tell from his name, a large amount of Portuguese heritage. Hope he does really well, love to see Reading take a lead on asian sub-continent talent. Also could do wonders in providing some useful revenue if it works out.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 16 Oct 2012 15:35

From a cynical point of view, it's great from a marketing and merchandising perspective.

Having Ji-Sung Park gave Man U a massive supporter base in South Korea as he is a huge deal over there. I wouldn't be surprised to see QPR suddenly gain some fans there since August.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Oct 2012 16:01

Could also mean a bit more if he is a success at Reading given the large Indian communities in Slough and parts of Reading. Long way to go obviously but the connection makes real sense and if they could unearth a real talent there is a lot to tap both globally and locallly.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 16 Oct 2012 16:17

Barry the bird boggler a lot to tap both globally and locallly.

Excellent, need some new female fans visiting the mad stad.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 17 Oct 2012 14:29

SPARTA
moonwalklikebas Good to see traditional Berkshire Middle Class racism is still alive and well. Its a little embarrassing!!!

You're probably the only idiot here who misreads puns as racism. :roll:

Not sure where you get this misplaced faith in HNA?

If this goes well and we get the same amount of Indian fans signing up as Planet Swans did when they signed their Korean this is going to be hilarious

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 17 Oct 2012 16:46

Just curious, he is Brandon Fernandes right? QPR's chairman is Tony Fernandes. You don't think he was told that he was coming for a trial with the Premier League club that wears Blue and White hooped shirts with his uncle Tony and ended up at RFC by mistake??? :D

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 29 Oct 2012 20:29

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/interviews/Ive-done-my-best-at-Reading-Brandon-Fernandes/articleshow/17011443.cms

"I've done my best during the trial period at Reading FC. It was difficult at the start since it was more of direct football and a lot physical, but once the adjustments were made, I was as good as anybody else,"

"I had two (goal) assists and we scored three goals. I felt confident throughout the match and never out of place,"

"I am pretty confident that I have done enough,"

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Oct 2012 21:44

Brandon Fernandes direct football

Oh dear, he's not getting signed now then is he!

Also heard he has been on trial at Leicester

themadstad

by themadstad » 29 Oct 2012 23:57

If this lad is good and gets signed it'll raise our profile a little. Football is big in the state of Goa, which is where he's from, and it's already been in the local media. Though football is generally growing across India now anyway.

Good luck to him and who knows we could unearth a gem.

Apparently our decision will be made in the next few days now his trial has ended.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 30 Oct 2012 00:11

akranes http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/interviews/Ive-done-my-best-at-Reading-Brandon-Fernandes/articleshow/17011443.cms

"I've done my best during the trial period at Reading FC. It was difficult at the start since it was more of direct football and a lot physical, but once the adjustments were made, I was as good as anybody else,"

"I had two (goal) assists and we scored three goals. I felt confident throughout the match and never out of place,"

"I am pretty confident that I have done enough,"

If Brandon's actually said that, then he's a bit arrogant and I LIKE it!