Guthrie

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Guthrie

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 09:28

A few people have alluded to having "heard something about Guthrie" - so could they please enlighten me as to what they've heard? I just can't understand why he's been so obviously frozen out. What a waste of money. :cry:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Guthrie

by Simon's Church » 28 Oct 2012 09:44

Heard he called McDermott a big, fat, bald, four-eyed fanny who isn't fit to lace Pardew's boots. Then threw a lobster at him.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 28 Oct 2012 12:34

When he signed I thought he presented himself well a a nice guy, McDermott went out to get him. Scored against Chelsea and everything was going well.

Then he had a moan on Twitter. Personally I haven't got a problem with that, as what he said was completely justified.

But to fall of favour with one the most genuinely nice guys in football must make him a real dick!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 13:04

Which is why I'd be keen to know what's happened and a few people have alluded that they know, so I'd like them to spill the beans! I didn't see anything wrong with his twitter comments either - so if it's just that, Brian is cutting off his nose to spite his face in my opinion. His interview with Dellor last night, when Dellor questioned him that Guthrie wasn't even on the bench, was that he wasn't injured, he didn't pick him - he has 25 players in his squad - obviously something is amiss and unless Guthrie has kidnapped and eaten all McD's kids, I think it's ridiculous to drop him completely after having spent so much money on him. He didn't have a brilliant game against Liverpool, but he's not been given a fair chance imo.

Divvy

by Divvy » 28 Oct 2012 16:39

Guthrie, Federici and Hunt all spoke out in front of the group about various things. Hunt was in protest at Pogs wages, Federici about not being injured and instead being dropped, and Guthrie criticised the direct long ball style. All have spent a period out of the side as a result, and Hunt only recently getting back in the side. It's no surprise Guthrie has also been told to get his head down, do what is asked of him and then when McD is ready, he will bring him in. It's just a shame because we need someone of his passing ability in the side now, but Brian clearly disagrees and wants physical midfielders instead, so just like Matejovski, you have to wonder what was the point in signing him in the first place when you could have gone and got someone like Nigel Reo-Coker on a free and with a point to prove instead.

Guthrie can play. Newcastle fans really rated him. But we don't want to use what he's good at, which is just one of many things really frustrating about BM at the moment.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 16:50

^ well that's ridiculous. I saw Guthrie's tweets and as far as I was concerned he said nothing wrong. I also read that he'd apologised to McD for his tweet - which was nothing like the stupid rants of Feds and his g/f. Noel was daft to complain about another player's wages - but I don't recall him being frozen out to the extent that Feds has been and certainly not the extent of Guthrie. Poor bloke probably just wants to be given a chance and can't believe there are players like Tabb in the team (and Cummings to some extent) who are clearly not Premier League standard. Like I said, if this is true, McD is cutting off his nose to spite his face here - I read Guthrie's tweet as being an honest statement of how McD wants to him to adapt his play and how he's eager to do so but understands if he's not picked at the moment.

Pearce must seriously question what he's done wrong as well. I REALLY feel for him. :cry:

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 28 Oct 2012 16:53

Divvy Guthrie, Federici and Hunt all spoke out in front of the group about various things. Hunt was in protest at Pogs wages, Federici about not being injured and instead being dropped, and Guthrie criticised the direct long ball style. All have spent a period out of the side as a result, and Hunt only recently getting back in the side. It's no surprise Guthrie has also been told to get his head down, do what is asked of him and then when McD is ready, he will bring him in. It's just a shame because we need someone of his passing ability in the side now, but Brian clearly disagrees and wants physical midfielders instead, so just like Matejovski, you have to wonder what was the point in signing him in the first place when you could have gone and got someone like Nigel Reo-Coker on a free and with a point to prove instead.

Guthrie can play. Newcastle fans really rated him. But we don't want to use what he's good at, which is just one of many things really frustrating about BM at the moment.

What's your source?

Divvy

by Divvy » 28 Oct 2012 17:00

I also agree it was pretty harmless, but he came out and publically bemoaned what is asked of him and said much the same in greater detail in front of the group. I would expect though that that is common in any side, so again leaving him out seems harsh, especially when your job is on the line if results don't start rolling in.

Guthrie should walk into this midfield. My own personal taste of course, but you don't need two def.midfielders in the same side. One and a creative midfielder works well enough for most clubs at this level. Someone with some vision and the ability to dictate the pace of a game has to be an asset, surely? But no, not with BM's tactics, clearly. What a waste!

Jonboy. Claiming sources is pointless mate, but we use a box with work and have heard the same talk from a few different people, even those I don't know but chat with at the bar and that was the same with Hunt and his outburst about Pog's wages, and that also got discussed in here by various posters who also picked up on the same rumours. No smoke without fire.. but take with a pinch of salt by all means.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 28 Oct 2012 17:17

There was definitely talk about Feds and Hunt, so I wouldn't be surprised about Guthrie. I don't think it's that great a deal, and McDermott isn't helping matters by keeping someone useful like him out of the side. Tabby did well though tbf.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 28 Oct 2012 19:53

Not sure why Guthrie or Hunty were dropped, I'm guessing it is a result of their outbursts, but you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

Fedders is example number one. The reason he was dropped was because after his last game they found him in the shower headbutting the wall, and decided to drop him for his own good to give him a chance to get his head in the game. His Twitter rants just sealed his fate, and coupled with McCarthy's performances he's been blocked out.

Personally, I would rather Hunt not start, I think Roberts/Pog/Alfie are going to get more goals, but I would love to see Guthrie back in, we're really missing out on the creativity in midfield.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2012 21:06

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Jay Tabb was p*ssed off because he wasn't getting a game but didn't complain, unlike others who spent the whole time moaning to the manager....basically Guthrie. Then he gets a few games.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Oct 2012 21:13

You can't help but admire Jay Tabb's work rate and effort. You can't fault his commitment and he will always give 110%. But let's be honest. He is no better than Guthrie and the fact that Guthrie is sitting out of the team at the expense of Tabb is a little silly on McDermott's behalf.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2012 21:19

LoyalRoyalFan You can't help but admire Jay Tabb's work rate and effort. You can't fault his commitment and he will always give 110%. But let's be honest. He is no better than Guthrie and the fact that Guthrie is sitting out of the team at the expense of Tabb is a little silly on McDermott's behalf.

well Tabb puts a tackle in.....

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 28 Oct 2012 21:19

Guthrie told to stay away from Reading FC training ground
By Jonny Fordham
October 28, 2012

Reading midfielder Danny Guthrie has allegedly been told to stay away from the training ground after a bust-up with manager Brian McDermott.

Sources told the Reading Post that the 25-year-old reacted to being axed from Royals' starting XI for Saturday's 3-3 draw with Fulham.

Boss McDermott announced the team the previous day and Guthrie, who has made six appearances for the club, took exception to his exclusion.

As a result, it is believed that Guthrie was told to not report for training on Monday ahead of Reading's last-16 Capital One Cup tie at home to Arsenal the next day.

McDermott told the press after Saturday's game with Fulham: "He wasn't selected, but he's fit.

"He's part of the squad of 20-odd players and has got to get himself into the 18. I just felt it was the right thing to do."

Doesn't look too promising. What is it with us and ball playing centre midfielders, we've manage to hound out Howard, Marek (absolute class) and now possibly Guthrie for one reason or another. If we don't need visionary centre midfield players, why buy them in the first place!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Oct 2012 21:22

Tabb is no better than Guthrie?...does that mean that he is equally as good then?

Really surprised to see Tabby starting in the Prem. really happy to see him doing ok

Guthrie will get his chance lol

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2012 21:29

bloody Volvo driver Guthrie told to stay away from Reading FC training ground
By Jonny Fordham
October 28, 2012

Reading midfielder Danny Guthrie has allegedly been told to stay away from the training ground after a bust-up with manager Brian McDermott.

Sources told the Reading Post that the 25-year-old reacted to being axed from Royals' starting XI for Saturday's 3-3 draw with Fulham.

Boss McDermott announced the team the previous day and Guthrie, who has made six appearances for the club, took exception to his exclusion.

As a result, it is believed that Guthrie was told to not report for training on Monday ahead of Reading's last-16 Capital One Cup tie at home to Arsenal the next day.

McDermott told the press after Saturday's game with Fulham: "He wasn't selected, but he's fit.

"He's part of the squad of 20-odd players and has got to get himself into the 18. I just felt it was the right thing to do."

Doesn't look too promising. What is it with us and ball playing centre midfielders, we've manage to hound out Howard, Marek (absolute class) and now possibly Guthrie for one reason or another. If we don't need visionary centre midfield players, why buy them in the first place!

blimey, we really are a premier league club now aren't we?

and a big laugh at Howard and Matejovsky being "visionary midfielders" - Marek probably was after a few becherovkas

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 21:56

Ah but you're forgetting that Matejovsky was on a different wavelength to the other players. :wink:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Oct 2012 21:58

sandman Ah but you're forgetting that Matejovsky was on a different wavelength to the other players. :wink:

You mean better than the other players?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 28 Oct 2012 22:11

Divvy Guthrie, Federici and Hunt all spoke out in front of the group about various things. Hunt was in protest at Pogs wages, Federici about not being injured and instead being dropped, and Guthrie criticised the direct long ball style. All have spent a period out of the side as a result, and Hunt only recently getting back in the side. It's no surprise Guthrie has also been told to get his head down, do what is asked of him and then when McD is ready, he will bring him in. It's just a shame because we need someone of his passing ability in the side now, but Brian clearly disagrees and wants physical midfielders instead, so just like Matejovski, you have to wonder what was the point in signing him in the first place when you could have gone and got someone like Nigel Reo-Coker on a free and with a point to prove instead.

Good call. Jonny Fordham now claiming he's been banned from the training ground.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 22:15

LoyalRoyalFan
sandman Ah but you're forgetting that Matejovsky was on a different wavelength to the other players. :wink:

You mean better than the other players?
No, I mean he was completely overrated.

I've seen a few Reading players who were quite a bit better than their team mates but every one of them managed to play with the team.