Gylfi Sigurdsson

1194 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

by Ian Royal » 03 Feb 2013 14:56

maffff
The Royal Is interested or is on 60k???

Interested, with us in this league, yes, on 60k a week, probably.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was interested. He knows he'd be our best player and play every week. At the moment he's struggling to get into Spurs' side. I think he made the wrong move in the summer. Spurs were the best team to come in for him, but they had and still do have a mass of attacking midfield talent, and they have a very strong and atheletic side. Sig doesn't really fit in with that style as well as the likes of Dempsey, Van der Vaaht or Dembele IMO.

I think he'd have been better off going to Liverpool in terms of playing at a side capable of competeing for and in Europe... just think how he'd have done as one of the players responsible for turning them around! Or coming to us / Swansea and waiting for a big move to someone like Arsenal or Utd in a year or two.

I reckon he'll tred water at best at Spurs.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Feb 2013 15:27

He is/was certainly a Tottenham sort of player - but agree his career might stagnate at White Hart Lane. No quite to be filed with Scott Sinclair, who must be wondering why on earth he left Swansea, but Sigurdsson could do with a move somewhere.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 03 Feb 2013 15:55

Two guarenteed summer signings IF we stay up then are Sunzu and Sigurdsson.

Relegation and losing Sig will hurt even more if we blow it, yet if we stay up there's an awful lot to feel excited about.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Feb 2013 16:07

surely he wont be happy coming off the bench for 5 mins??? I am sure he would consider a drop in wages for regular football

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 03 Feb 2013 18:49

loyalroyal4life surely he wont be happy coming off the bench for 5 mins??? I am sure he would consider a drop in wages for regular football

Yeah, cos at my work I do about 40 hours a week and some of it isn't really that busy. I often think I'd happily earn 30% less if only I could find a job where I was really under pressure 70 hours a week

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 Feb 2013 20:44

The Royal
Is interested or is on 60k???

Of course he's interested. It's just like the Pearce thing, but the other way round. You really have to be as thick as pigs/it not to realise that Brian knows the lad personally, just like Brendan does with Alex. Brian has Gylfi's phone number, and has for sure had a chat (just in the most off the record way possible, of course) about a return here. If Gylfi wasn't interested, then the club would not have made an offer for a player who was not openly on sale.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 04 Feb 2013 01:26

Ian Royal
maffff
The Royal Is interested or is on 60k???

Interested, with us in this league, yes, on 60k a week, probably.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was interested. He knows he'd be our best player and play every week. At the moment he's struggling to get into Spurs' side. I think he made the wrong move in the summer. Spurs were the best team to come in for him, but they had and still do have a mass of attacking midfield talent, and they have a very strong and atheletic side. Sig doesn't really fit in with that style as well as the likes of Dempsey, Van der Vaaht or Dembele IMO.

I think he'd have been better off going to Liverpool in terms of playing at a side capable of competeing for and in Europe... just think how he'd have done as one of the players responsible for turning them around! Or coming to us / Swansea and waiting for a big move to someone like Arsenal or Utd in a year or two.

I reckon he'll tred water at best at Spurs.

He had a lot of early season opportunities and hasn't played well truth be told. Seen a lot of him in a Spurs shirt. If his Spurs career had started better he would still be in the team now. Holtby signing awful for him though.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Feb 2013 03:09

TommyF
loyalroyal4life surely he wont be happy coming off the bench for 5 mins??? I am sure he would consider a drop in wages for regular football

Yeah, cos at my work I do about 40 hours a week and some of it isn't really that busy. I often think I'd happily earn 30% less if only I could find a job where I was really under pressure 70 hours a week

Completely different situations, neither are comparable, flawed analogy.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Feb 2013 08:06

TommyF

Great comparison Tommy, surprised you even have a job with thinking like that, then again your brain probably is not required for your work. Keep living the dream!

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 05 Feb 2013 14:48

loyalroyal4life
TommyF

Great comparison Tommy, surprised you even have a job with thinking like that, then again your brain probably is not required for your work. Keep living the dream!

Did he really just say that?

Hey Tommy, come work for me, I'll pay you for 40 hours work, 10 hours a day, seven days a week - you know how to serve beer yeah? Don't worry you'll pick it up, you'll have plenty of time to practise! :lol:

And better still, YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE YOUR BRAIN! In fact, it's encouraged!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Feb 2013 17:33

As expected, BBC, David Ornstein, has confirmed Spurs thought they had Damiao joining until 5/6pm. Hence the real chance of signing him. Everything was done, except the final nod from Spurs. They let the player have medical and contract talks as Damiao negotiations went on. We kept trying until 11:45 as everything was in place except Spurs letting him go once that chain broke down.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 05 Feb 2013 17:49

maffff As expected, BBC, David Ornstein, has confirmed Spurs thought they had Damiao joining until 5/6pm. Hence the real chance of signing him. Everything was done, except the final nod from Spurs. They let the player have medical and contract talks as Damiao negotiations went on. We kept trying until 11:45 as everything was in place except Spurs letting him go once that chain broke down.

Until 11:45? :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Feb 2013 17:53

maffff As expected, BBC, David Ornstein, has confirmed Spurs thought they had Damiao joining until 5/6pm. Hence the real chance of signing him. Everything was done, except the final nod from Spurs. They let the player have medical and contract talks as Damiao negotiations went on. We kept trying until 11:45 as everything was in place except Spurs letting him go once that chain broke down.

Grrrrrr.

Just imagine the reaction on here if he'd signed at 22.55 :lol:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 05 Feb 2013 18:07

Meltdown, but it bodes well if we can stay up.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Feb 2013 18:19

I'm not so sure. We had a chance this time because it was completely under the radar, if he's available in the summer then we'll have plenty of competition.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Feb 2013 18:20

22:45. You known what I meant. Right up to the deadline.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Feb 2013 21:04

maffff 22:45. You known what I meant. Right up to the deadline.

Ideal *Wah wah wah* This was all clearly just a smokescreen to placate the fans, if they'd really wanted it they'd have offered another £3m and kept calling 'til 23.00. [something stupid and racist] *Wah wah wah*

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 Feb 2013 09:37

Ian Royal

Ideal *Wah wah wah* This was all clearly just a smokescreen to placate the fans, if they'd really wanted it they'd have offered another £3m and kept calling 'til 23.00. [something stupid and racist] *Wah wah wah*

If the original bid is what appeared acceptable, when they thought Damiao in, that was at about £10m. Then the further two bids, up to about £12m would be doing pretty much exactly that.

There'll be competition in the summer, but we have laid out our intent now and we know we have money for other targets if we can't.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 06 Feb 2013 11:49

Presuambly we put the larger bids in the hope it would be enough of a sweetener to release the player regardless, obviously it wasn't. They need the squad depth.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 06 Feb 2013 12:32

maffff
Ian Royal

If the original bid is what appeared acceptable, when they thought Damiao in, that was at about £10m. Then the further two bids, up to about £12m would be doing pretty much exactly that.

There'll be competition in the summer, but we have laid out our intent now and we know we have money for other targets if we can't.

Why didn't we spend that money on other targets rather than wait until the last second of deadline day to make this club record bid?

1194 posts