RUMOUR - Robert Beric

674 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Robert Beric

by P!ssed Off » 29 Aug 2015 19:58

Q: Who do you think decided Rapid's asking price was too high earlier this Summer before changing their mind a month later by which time too late:

a) Hammond
b) Clarke
c) The Thais

My guess is the Thais.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2015 20:11

Who thinks if we had matched their minimum price they would have actually accepted it. Would they have decided to hang on and see if anyone beat it ? We know we were never the only team interested.....

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Aug 2015 20:51

Nameless Who thinks if we had matched their minimum price they would have actually accepted it. Would they have decided to hang on and see if anyone beat it ? We know we were never the only team interested.....

^^^ This

There is no need for the seller of a 'desirable' asset to sign anything until deadline day

Or even to sell

But hey, let's blame our own for failing to buy the new toy from the shop like a spoilt brat on a Christmas morning, disappointed with the contents of Santa's sack

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Aug 2015 20:56

Uke
Nameless Who thinks if we had matched their minimum price they would have actually accepted it. Would they have decided to hang on and see if anyone beat it ? We know we were never the only team interested.....

^^^ This

There is no need for the seller of a 'desirable' asset to sign anything until deadline day

Or even to sell

But hey, let's blame our own for failing to buy the new toy from the shop like a spoilt brat on a Christmas morning, disappointed with the contents of Santa's sack

What an absurd comparison.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2015 20:57

Nah, it's a fair observation.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Aug 2015 20:57

P!ssed Off
Uke

^^^ This

Or even to sell

What an absurd comparison.

I want, I want, I want, I want, I want, I want.....

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Aug 2015 21:24

Turning down an asking offer before returning a month later with that exact bid, only to find you've missed the boat is poor negotiating whatever you're buying.

Criticism is fair.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Aug 2015 21:47

P!ssed Off Turning down an asking offer before returning a month later with that exact bid, only to find you've missed the boat is poor negotiating whatever you're buying.

Criticism is fair.

Only if you have the finances in place to do the deal originally. Who is to say we went to our max with the first bid, got more financial backing so went back with an offer that was rejected due to other interest

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2015 22:00

P!ssed Off Turning down an asking offer before returning a month later with that exact bid, only to find you've missed the boat is poor negotiating whatever you're buying.

Criticism is fair.

It'd be perfectly valid to offer what you think is value, find out it doesn't meet the required price and look elsewhere, before going back and renegotiating if nothing else comes to fruition.

The fact is, we are not privy to nearly enough information to make any judgement on how we handle the majority of transfers. We just have to judge on overall record. Which in terms of value and not being held to ransom, Hammond is excellent at. The only place we fall down is on higher value signings where we're a bit of a failure. Which could explain a reluctance to part with lots of money.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2015 22:07

I'd be genuinely interested to know what negotiating strategy would guarantee success. In this case the selling club and player hold all the cards and it looks like the decision may come down to factors over which we actually have no control.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Aug 2015 22:20

Criticism is fair.

Only if it's valid.

In the meantime he hasn't been sold, so what's wrong with not upping your (maximum) offer? By definition it's yor maximum offer.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2015 23:51

Don't forget the player also has a say in the matter.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2015 01:12

Criticism is fair.

Not sure about that. The old fake walk-away to get the selling party to drop their price is a valid tactic.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 30 Aug 2015 09:27

Rapid were never going to sell before finding out if they'd qualified for the CL group stage, so all these 'Hammond/Clarke/the Thais dallied' comments are pretty redundant.

The sale of Pog was out of the blue and we've brought in 7 or 8 players already this summer. Think it's pretty clear that we're doing a good job in the transfer market and I'm looking forward to seeing who we bring in in the next few days, whether that is on loan or permanent.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Aug 2015 10:12

Ginger Ninjas Rapid were never going to sell before finding out if they'd qualified for the CL group stage, so all these 'Hammond/Clarke/the Thais dallied' comments are pretty redundant.

^This

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 30 Aug 2015 11:45

Why would they name their asking price then?

Had we offered the asking price in mid July they would have accepted.
At that point CL was very unlikely,they had to face Ajax (a better team) and then a higher ranked team if they won that.

As for Royal Ginger, I'm sure Hammond is fully aware that an asking price does not decrease the closer you get to the end of a transfer window.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2015 13:30

You'd be a totally shit DoF if you just agreed to the first price asked every time. It's called negotiation.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 30 Aug 2015 13:44

Ian Royal You'd be a totally shit DoF if you just agreed to the first price asked every time. It's called negotiation.

Who are you replying to here?
Certainly bears no relation to anything I've said.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 30 Aug 2015 14:29

Beric at ASSE vs SCBastia today apparently

Onto Plan B

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Aug 2015 14:46

P!ssed Off Why would they name their asking price then?.

Did they ? We just know reports from various translations. We know they said they wouldn't sell for less than a figure, but I don't think they said that if anyone gave that figure they would sell. If we'd offered X up front then they could still have declined it, or waited. It's not Tesco's, Beric doesn't have a tag round his neck with a price on. It's all up for grabs.
And I think you are getting confused with buyout clauses where players have contracted amounts they will be released for. Not what happened here.

P!ssed Off As for Royal Ginger, I'm sure Hammond is fully aware that an asking price does not decrease the closer you get to the end of a transfer window.

I bet it does sometimes. If we had quoted clubs £4 million for HRK in June do you not think we might take 3.5 mllion now ? All depends on whether it is a buyers market or a sellers one.

674 posts