Rumour - Connor Washington

128 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Rumour - Connor Washington

by Platypuss » 19 Jan 2016 23:16

Longhorn1970
Mr Optimist Reading normally like to do their transfer business out of the media spotlight to avoid getting involved in auction situations. Evans signed in RFC textbook fashion with no fuss, dealing with MCFC. Contrast that with the possible transfer of Washington and dealings with Peterborough. Their Chairman takes to his Twitter account quicker than Kim Kardashian to tell the world of interest in the player, tell me Royal Blue, what could he possibly have to gain by doing this?

Just like the SC debacle which was played out on sky news and bbc website ..

RFC's contribution to that? Zero.

One8Seven1*

Posh Chairman confirms Thai's interfere with RFC signings

by One8Seven1* » 20 Jan 2016 12:42

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-10760832

Don't like this at all. You judge a manager on results but then step in and stop him getting a player he needs and he agreed a fee for, just so you can have some unknown Polish tart!

This isn't news though, is it? Ferdinand as well. We had enough of it with AZ! Just oxf*rd off and let the manager build his own team!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Rumour - Connor Washington

by TBM » 20 Jan 2016 12:47

CW - I want to ask about Conor Washington. The Peterborough chairman mentioned you on Twitter.

Yes I know Darragh - he’s a nice guy. He’s a friend of mine actually.

CW - He sent out a tweet saying that a foreign owner of another club pulled the plug on a deal for Washington to sign a Polish striker instead. Is that Reading he’s talking about?

Ask him.

CW - Well someone did actually - he replied 'Brian loved Conor and I mean loved him'.

I don’t know him to love him. I know him as a player, I've watched him so I know him well. I think he’s going to be a good player for QPR.

So you’re disappointed not to get him here?

He’s a really good player for QPR - good luck to him. I hope he does well in his career.

Reading co-chairwoman Lady Sasima Srivikorn.

CW - Can you just clear up then if the owners stopped you going for him - is that what happened?

Listen I know the player and he’s a player who, if I could have done the deal, I would have taken him to Reading.

CW - So who’s the Polish lad?

Let’s not talk about Polish lads. We’ll see what happens. Whoever the Polish player is, or not, he will belong to a Polish team, or not - so we’ll see what happens.

CW - Is it Deniss Rakels?

You can’t even pronounce it.

CW - I am struggling to yes - I’ve got a picture of him here if you want to see it though?

Show it - I might recognise him (laughs).

CW - Is he on the radar?

If he was I wouldn’t tell you because someone else might try and get him if they know we are interested. Look, January is what it is. Sometimes you get a player, sometimes you don’t.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Posh Chairman confirms Thai's interfere with RFC signing

by Maneki Neko » 20 Jan 2016 12:50

If they pulled it cos they thought the money would be better spent elsewhere. Or just that 2.5 was too much then thats entirely their right imo

Im also not sure im taking an oppo chairmans word on this
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 20 Jan 2016 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

Esteban

by Esteban » 20 Jan 2016 12:50

You don't know the full details. It could have been a financial decision.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jan 2016 12:52

Of course they f*cking interfere. They're the ones who invest the money we need to bring players in. If they didn't interfere we wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2016 12:53

Maneki Neko If they pulled it cos they thought the money would be better spent elsewhere. Or just that 2.5 was too much then thats entirely their right imo

Exactly, I wouldn't really describe the owners having a final say on a transfer as interfering, it's their money after all

That article does further enhance Brian as the best interview around mind you

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 12:56

It's their money. If I owned the club and put the money in I would like to think I could say no to investing heavily if I felt it was the right thing to do.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 20 Jan 2016 12:57

Silver Fox That article does further enhance Brian as the best interview around mind you

BM - You can’t even pronounce it.

lol

That's a yes then.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2016 12:58

I like McDermott's answers to Watts.

I'm not too worried. Millions for a League One player is silly. It could be bad, or it could be that we wouldn't / couldn't compete with QPR on wages so pulled out in preference for a cheaper option. Which would be perfectly realistic and perfectly reasonable.

Something to watch out for though.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 12:59

The owners are here to also balance the books and keep the financial future of RFC in check. If they need to say no here and there to keep the club in a good position then good on them.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 20 Jan 2016 12:59

Silver Fox
Maneki Neko If they pulled it cos they thought the money would be better spent elsewhere. Or just that 2.5 was too much then thats entirely their right imo

Exactly, I wouldn't really describe the owners having a final say on a transfer as interfering, it's their money after all

CW - I am struggling to yes - I’ve got a picture of him here if you want to see it though?

:lol: :mrgreen: #LifeWithBrian

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jan 2016 13:06

Why start a new thread on this?

There's 5 pages in R&G

The Sum of the Parts
Location: "The Sum of the Parts - the evolution of the perfect team" - Publication April 9th 2016

by The Sum of the Parts » 20 Jan 2016 13:06

Just because a fee is agreed it doesn't mean that personal terms were agreed as well.

So if the player's agent insisted on some terms that those putting up the money felt was unreasonable or unrealistic, why shouldn't they pull the plug?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Jan 2016 13:13

One8Seven1* http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-transfers-mcdermott-talks-10760832

Don't like this at all. You judge a manager on results but then step in and stop him getting a player he needs and he agreed a fee for, just so you can have some unknown Polish tart!

This isn't news though, is it? Ferdinand as well. We had enough of it with AZ! Just oxf*rd off and let the manager build his own team!

He's Latvian.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2016 13:13

Big Foot
Silver Fox

:lol: :mrgreen: #LifeWithBrian

He's going to struggle to top "sorry if my face doesn't look as thrilled as you'd like, it's the only one I've got"

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 20 Jan 2016 13:22

RG30
One8Seven1* http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-transfers-mcdermott-talks-10760832

He's Latvian.

Liberian?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 13:26

Librarian ?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jan 2016 13:30

Could be our owners have had good experiences with Polish/Latvian builders?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 13:32

I respect Brian not wanting to comment on the transfer business of other clubs, or on possible targets.
Not sure why the Posh chairman needs to comment on transfer deals that he didn't conclude. I doubt he is giving an entirely objective view.....

128 posts