Rumour - Jake Cooper

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Rumour - Jake Cooper

by Only one Trevor Morley » 20 Jan 2016 08:13

According to the Times this morning west ham in for him.

Another young defender heading to the premier league? I would say it's too soon for him but money talks.....

Tommio

Re: Rumour - Jake Cooper

by Tommio » 20 Jan 2016 08:26

He's clearly got potential but he's pretty far away from being a consistsnt starter for us. Was at fault for one goal yesterday.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jan 2016 08:45

Better be for big money

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 20 Jan 2016 08:52

I seem to recall that the Arse have been monitoring Jake for a good while so no surprise there are other Prem sides looking. Again early days but this is something that seems to happen with highly rated young defenders - Chris Smalling from Fulham to Utd was a surprise to most of us when it happened. John Stones only made 25 appearances for Barnsley before moving to Everton.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Jan 2016 08:56

Big clubs just take a punt then cast the players off to lower leagues when it often don't work out, you just can't win , produce a good young player he'll be off

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2016 09:27

He's already done a solid job in the Championship and he's only 20, does anyone worry when we have him in defence? I don't, sure he made a mistake for the first goal yesterday but he'll learn from it, as he gets more experienced he'll do less and less silly mistakes like last night.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 09:35

He's (for me) a potential future club captain, and with Hector off in the summer, if not earlier, he could be in with a real shout to be a regular next season.

I'd be really disappointed if we lose him, but I think he is mature enough to approach a decision like this in the correct way.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 11:36

15 mill & they can have him

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 20 Jan 2016 11:38

I'd let him go for 14

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 20 Jan 2016 11:49

Shame about his one small error last night. He'd have got away with that 9 times out of 10 but Wells is very good when he plays on the last man. Apart from that he was excellent defensively and with the ball. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched Vydra spin in behind and then look back for the pass that never comes but Cooper picked him out with a peach of a pass last night. Let's hope he stays around to be part of the 17/18 league winning side full of our youth products !

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 12:07

He seems to have his head on straight and he'd probably turn them down just to play regular football and work on his development.

Though money talks I suppose.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jan 2016 12:30

For a man of his size Cooper makes far too many weak headers for me, like the one for the goal last night, but he's still maturing into a decent prospect but he's been at fault for a few goals and it's far too early for someone to take him into the Premier League when he's no more than an adequate fill in at the moment.

I do love his passing out from the back though. He's not spectacular, he doesn't try and dribble out much or be too clever (like a certain centre half we have) but he does see a run and he seems very capable of picking it out with quite a cultured left foot.

He needs to play for a couple of seasons really. A move now would mean yet another promising youngster wasting away their talent in a Premier League U21 squad/first team bench.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jan 2016 13:37

CountryRoyal He seems to have his head on straight and he'd probably turn them down just to play regular football and work on his development.

Would he oxf*rd. He'd probably be loaned back a la Hector.

He's class. Too early to move though

russyb

by russyb » 20 Jan 2016 13:58

tidus_mi2 He's already done a solid job in the Championship and he's only 20, does anyone worry when we have him in defence? I don't, sure he made a mistake for the first goal yesterday but he'll learn from it, as he gets more experienced he'll do less and less silly mistakes like last night.

agree with this and he makes less mistakes than hector already :D

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 14:04

John Smith
CountryRoyal He seems to have his head on straight and he'd probably turn them down just to play regular football and work on his development.

Would he oxf*rd. He'd probably be loaned back a la Hector.

He's class. Too early to move though

We wouldn't want a loan back deal.
I could see him staying put for a while, although he'll be aware that this will be a hugely competitive position at the club over the next few years and he will not be guaranteed a starting place here unless he continues developing and learning.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2016 20:58

Way to early for him to move up IMO. He needs at least one season playing in the Championship most weeks.

But, we've got Dickie and Hyam coming up behind him and they were both looking very very tasty in the U18s a couple of years ago.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 21:05

What ever happened to sweeny?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jan 2016 22:07

Been captaining the U21 side this season and playing quite well. But while he is a highly committed, physically strong player he's not as good a footballer as many of the crop'of u21 and u18 centre backs. Will make a very decent player but probably not at Championship level.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2016 22:38

Ian Royal Way to early for him to move up IMO. He needs at least one season playing in the Championship most weeks.

But, we've got Dickie and Hyam coming up behind him and they were both looking very very tasty in the U18s a couple of years ago.

Dickie is far too good for non league. Hopefully get him a top end league 2 loan next season, or if Cheltenham go up then extend his loan and continue his development there.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Jan 2016 09:22

CountryRoyal
Ian Royal Way to early for him to move up IMO. He needs at least one season playing in the Championship most weeks.

Dickie is far too good for non league. Hopefully get him a top end league 2 loan next season, or if Cheltenham go up then extend his loan and continue his development there.

Interesting that he's been used predominantly as a right back at Cheltenham. Wonder if the club see him as a potential full back rather than a centre half especially given that it's probably less than 50/50 that Gunter will be here next season.