Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

375 posts
Tommio

Re: Summer Rebuild 2016/2017

by Tommio » 29 Dec 2016 11:23

Sutekh We want a striker who brings what Kermorgant brings but with some real pace about them.

So someone like Diego costa, you do realise that there's basically no strikers with the airial ability of Yann that has pace. The few strikers that there are come at a huge cost that rule us out.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Dec 2016 16:58

Don't be a tit. There's plenty between Kermorgant and Costa ffs.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Dec 2016 23:56

RoyalJones Wrote a little piece for this website on which positions we should be recruiting in, in the January transfer window: http://www.entirelyfootball.co.uk/reading-january/

I talk about the need for an experienced centre back, a left back (if we change to a 5 at the back again), an attacking midfielder or two and a striker.

Of course, this is just my opinion, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

No need for an experienced centre back. We have four with some experience, although one of them is Cooper. We also have plenty of young options and players who can cover from other positions (Joey, Evans, Gunter, possibly Wieser?). I would have no qualms about Hyam starting alongside Moore or even one of the fill-ins. Dickie and Keown also deserve to be in contention. Osho and Jules are a bit younger and less proven - I see them more as options for next season.

Also no need for an attacking midfielder and certainly not two. We have Swift, Williams, and Kelly, plus Quinn if he ever gets fit. Realistically things don't get better at this level.

Striker, yep, no arguments here, someone with pace who is capable of leading counter attacks and scoring goals should be our priority.

A second left wing back - ideally an upgrade on Obita - is interesting. I'd quite like to see Callum Harriott in this role. Stephen Quinn could also play it, if he ever gets fit. Shane Griffin is old enough, but unfortunately probably not good enough. Omar Richards might be good enough but he'd be a gamble, same with Jake Sheppard or an U18. I know Blackett is important in the back three and doesn't look good in attack, but I'd like to see him at left wing back if it opened up a spot for a young centre back (presumably Jules). But this is a position we'd need to strengthen if we got promoted, so let's keep our eyes open in case anyone becomes available. Only as first choice, mind.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Dec 2016 15:24

SCIAG
RoyalJones Wrote a little piece for this website on which positions we should be recruiting in, in the January transfer window: http://www.entirelyfootball.co.uk/reading-january/

I talk about the need for an experienced centre back, a left back (if we change to a 5 at the back again), an attacking midfielder or two and a striker.

No need for an experienced centre back. We have four with some experience, although one of them is Cooper. We also have plenty of young options and players who can cover from other positions (Joey, Evans, Gunter, possibly Wieser?). I would have no qualms about Hyam starting alongside Moore or even one of the fill-ins. Dickie and Keown also deserve to be in contention. Osho and Jules are a bit younger and less proven - I see them more as options for next season.

Also no need for an attacking midfielder and certainly not two. We have Swift, Williams, and Kelly, plus Quinn if he ever gets fit. Realistically things don't get better at this level.

Striker, yep, no arguments here, someone with pace who is capable of leading counter attacks and scoring goals should be our priority.

A second left wing back - ideally an upgrade on Obita - is interesting. I'd quite like to see Callum Harriott in this role. Stephen Quinn could also play it, if he ever gets fit. Shane Griffin is old enough, but unfortunately probably not good enough. Omar Richards might be good enough but he'd be a gamble, same with Jake Sheppard or an U18. I know Blackett is important in the back three and doesn't look good in attack, but I'd like to see him at left wing back if it opened up a spot for a young centre back (presumably Jules). But this is a position we'd need to strengthen if we got promoted, so let's keep our eyes open in case anyone becomes available. Only as first choice, mind.

With the inexperienced central defenders, they may need to go out on loan first to gain some experience, although players like Tennai Watson have done well without going out on loan. Cooper is just a liability at the moment because he makes mistakes and he isn't that great with the passing philosophy. Keown could be given a go, he's been waiting a long time to be given a chance. Dickie was also very good at Blackburn on the final day. So maybe we don't need another central defender.

On the attacking midfielders front, Swift yes, Williams may be out of contract at the end of the season, Quinn is someone who I have't thought of because of his long term injuries, completely forgot about him, and Kelly is okay but he sits back quite a bit a lot of the time. I'm just concerned about how creative we are when both Williams and Swift are absent.

Shane Griffin is someone who we could give a go seeing as he's old enough, Omar Richards looks promising but I think he's only 16.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Dec 2016 15:28

Players out on loan:
Sean Long
Paolo Hurtado
Lewis Ward
George Legg
Craig Tanner
Aaron Kuhl
Rob Dickie
Jonathan Bond
Sam Smith
Jack Stacey
Tarique Fosu
Dominic Hyam
Sindri Scheving

Which of these players could make an impact in the first team? I could name a few.

Tommio

by Tommio » 30 Dec 2016 15:31

RoyalJones Players out on loan:
Sean Long
Paolo Hurtado
Lewis Ward
George Legg
Craig Tanner
Aaron Kuhl
Rob Dickie
Jonathan Bond
Sam Smith
Jack Stacey
Tarique Fosu
Dominic Hyam
Sindri Scheving

Which of these players could make an impact in the first team? I could name a few.

Kuhl has come back, since when was sam smith out on loan?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Dec 2016 15:34

Even players who aren't out on loan could be looked at. Luke Southwood is a youth international for England, so is Danny Loader. Sam Smith interested Prem clubs when his contract was up last summer. Josh Barrett looked promising at the back end of last season. Novakovich and Frost have received rave reviews. Rinomhota has established himself in the under 23 side.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Dec 2016 15:35

Tommio
Sean Long
Paolo Hurtado
Lewis Ward
George Legg
Craig Tanner
Aaron Kuhl
Rob Dickie
Jonathan Bond
Sam Smith
Jack Stacey
Tarique Fosu
Dominic Hyam
Sindri Scheving

Kuhl has come back, since when was sam smith out on loan?

It was probably a good idea for Kuhl to come back and http://www.bsfc.co.uk/sams-the-man-for-blues/

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2016 16:27

RoyalJones
SCIAG

With the inexperienced central defenders, they may need to go out on loan first to gain some experience, although players like Tennai Watson have done well without going out on loan. Cooper is just a liability at the moment because he makes mistakes and he isn't that great with the passing philosophy. Keown could be given a go, he's been waiting a long time to be given a chance. Dickie was also very good at Blackburn on the final day. So maybe we don't need another central defender.

On the attacking midfielders front, Swift yes, Williams may be out of contract at the end of the season, Quinn is someone who I have't thought of because of his long term injuries, completely forgot about him, and Kelly is okay but he sits back quite a bit a lot of the time. I'm just concerned about how creative we are when both Williams and Swift are absent.

Shane Griffin is someone who we could give a go seeing as he's old enough, Omar Richards looks promising but I think he's only 16.

I'm amazed Griffin is still at the club and wasn't let go two or three seasons ago, he's always looked sub-par to me.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Dec 2016 22:02

RoyalJones Shane Griffin is someone who we could give a go seeing as he's old enough, Omar Richards looks promising but I think he's only 16.

He isn't, he's a first year pro. He turns 19 during this season. He's a year younger than Watson.
Sean Long
Paolo Hurtado
Lewis Ward
George Legg
Craig Tanner
Aaron Kuhl
Rob Dickie
Jonathan Bond

Sam Smith
Jack Stacey
Tarique Fosu
Dominic Hyam

Sindri Scheving

Which of these players could make an impact in the first team? I could name a few...
Even players who aren't out on loan could be looked at. Luke Southwood is a youth international for England, so is Danny Loader. Sam Smith interested Prem clubs when his contract was up last summer. Josh Barrett looked promising at the back end of last season. Novakovich and Frost have received rave reviews. Rinomhota has established himself in the under 23 side.

The players I've bolded are the ones who I think would have a good chance of playing well if we had to pick them tomorrow. Left out Hurtado for obvious reasons but in theory we could bring him back into the fold.

Long has been left behind by Watson and even Sheppard. With Keown and Stacey also being capable at right back and Akinwumni and Howe coming through, there's no need for him - sell in January. Similar story with Legg - seventh choice goalkeeper at best. Smith doesn't look like a potential first team player. Scheving is a big joke. Loader is only 16 and isn't ready yet. Novakovich doesn't fit into the system and isn't that good. Frost is 17, inconsistent, a long way down the pecking order, and not especially talented. Rinomhota is ordinary.

If McIntyre were fit then he'd be the big name you've missed out. We've got a decent crop of defenders who are closer than some of those names but pretty far down the pecking order. I'd pick out Jordan Holsgrove as the next "it-kid", could see Stam throwing him into a dead rubber at the end of the season.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Dec 2016 13:20

GK: Southwood and Ward have youth international caps I think, and Bond was also a youth international. Stuart Moore will struggle to hold down his place as 3rd choice goalkeeper because of that. Al Habsi may retire in a couple of seasons so it's good to know we always have back up. Jaakkola looks to be a solid back up. Legg, Collings and Tupper are also options, we are spoilt for choice in terms of goalkeepers so we may just call on the younger goalkeepers to step up if needed.

LB: At left back, Obita and Blackett are options in that area and they now have plenty of championship experience between them. However, Omar Richards has looked promising and he could be sent out on loan or given a place in the first team so he can build on his ability. Jules and Gunter can also fill in at left back if needed.

RB: In terms of the right back position, Gunter could be going soon leaving solid options such as Watson, Keown, Dickie and Sheppard. I've been amazed by Watson this season when i've seen him, and he already looks comfortable in the championship. Keown now needs to push his way in to the first team fold. Dickie looked good when I saw him against Blackburn on the final day of the season at right back but he may need loan experience in League One to really top up his ability and show that he is going to be a reliable option at right back and centre back. Sheppard also needs more experience, either in the under 23s or out on loan in Leagues One and Two.

CB:
• McShane
• Moore
• Blackett
• Cooper
• Keown
• Dickie
• Hyam
• Jules
• McIntyre
• Andresson
• Osho

Not much to say on this one, a lot of depth but some of these players need to gain more experience. Cooper is one that needs to adapt to the passing philosophy or he’ll be left behind.

Overall, we look ready for the future in terms of goalkeepers and defenders because of the depth that we have, we just need them to reach their full potential and gain more experience.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 31 Dec 2016 13:24

And if Holsgrove is the real deal, he could be included as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jan 2017 07:40

Seen Loader a couple of times this season and been less than impressed. Clearly has ability, but in terms of effort and involvement he did not deliver. Obviously there is a world of difference between an u18 game and a first team game and from a brief look he didn't seem to be a player that is heading for the first team this season. Barrett and Frost are (IMHO) way ahead of him. Not writing Loader off at all, just not sure why Stam would ignore slightly older, slightly more experienced and probably more talented players. Barratt has already shown he can play at first team level and in the unlikely event our season ends in early April I'd hope he gets some games. Sadly he's probably competing with Swift and McLeary for a spot in the team......

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 02 Jan 2017 19:50

Nameless Seen Loader a couple of times this season and been less than impressed. Clearly has ability, but in terms of effort and involvement he did not deliver. Obviously there is a world of difference between an u18 game and a first team game and from a brief look he didn't seem to be a player that is heading for the first team this season. Barrett and Frost are (IMHO) way ahead of him. Not writing Loader off at all, just not sure why Stam would ignore slightly older, slightly more experienced and probably more talented players. Barratt has already shown he can play at first team level and in the unlikely event our season ends in early April I'd hope he gets some games. Sadly he's probably competing with Swift and McLeary for a spot in the team......

The midfield three of Evans, Kelly and Swift is perfect in my opinion, but Barrett is also a solid young option to have.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 02 Jan 2017 19:59

I think we might need another left back - Obita isn't suited there and neither does Blackett really, but that might be because he gets isolated by Beerens when it comes to defending.

Tommio

by Tommio » 02 Jan 2017 23:10

RoyalJones I think we might need another left back - Obita isn't suited there and neither does Blackett really, but that might be because he gets isolated by Beerens when it comes to defending.

Yeah obita showed his quality at left back when he had McAnuff in front of him a few years back.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 03 Jan 2017 11:53

Tommio
RoyalJones I think we might need another left back - Obita isn't suited there and neither does Blackett really, but that might be because he gets isolated by Beerens when it comes to defending.

Yeah obita showed his quality at left back when he had McAnuff in front of him a few years back.

This is where we need Meite in the starting lineup, who is more of a physical specimen, surely he has to be a better defender than Beerens?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jan 2017 12:29

Something needs to be figured out on that side before Fulham and Fredericks get another crack at it.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 Jan 2017 13:39

Tommio

I think Obita's done a good enough job, agree we at least need cover though. Obviously if there was someone better then it would be stupid to turn it down but I don't think it's urgent
Last edited by kwik-silva on 04 Jan 2017 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2017 14:43

If we don't sell anyone, this window is a tough one to call.

Ideally we'd get a centre back for cover, but not sure who would move to us solely to cover McShane and Moore who have been generally a very good pairing.

Midfield and Wing looks well covered, RB and LB are covered, though I agree only Obita looks good in that left wing back position if we play 5 at the back.

Up front, Kermie is doing a fine job currently and unless we suddenly have funds and are able to pull off a real coup and get someone proven of say Tammy Abraham/Hogan standard, I'm not sure that you'd be able to pick someone up to do a better job.

Bargain basement hunting in overseas leagues may find a gem if we are lucky, you'd prob only be looking at making an impact in the last couple of months of the season. Rakels and Samuel are probably likely to offer as much as someone new to the league.

375 posts