And now Gunter...

143 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: And now Gunter...

by genome » 30 Jun 2016 01:49

3points you don't have to sell a player for the value of the release clause. Fellaini went for more than his release clause if I remember correctly. You just need to create a bidding war between more than one club to get the price up a bit

Club 1: "Here's £1 million"
Reading: "Thanks, we'll accept that and you can talk to the player"
Club 2: "Here's £1.2 million"
Reading: "Thanks, we'll accept that too, go ahead and talk to Chris"
Club 1: "How about £1.5 million?"
Reading: "Er, okay... sure."
Club 2: "£2 million."
Reading: "Guys, you know we already accepted your offer, right? You can talk to him."
Club 1: "5 MILLION POUNDS"

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 30 Jun 2016 08:27

Tommio
3points you don't have to sell a player for the value of the release clause. Fellaini went for more than his release clause if I remember correctly. You just need to create a bidding war between more than one club to get the price up a bit

If, for example, Norwich were to offer £1m for Gunter and that is his release clause, then we have to accept that offer. The price can increase if a bidding war takes place, but Gunter wouldn't care about how much Reading are receiving. So it is unlikely that we will ever receive more than his release clause. Fellaini had a small release clause under contract with Everton, but then that contract ran out and they gave him a new one with a much larger release clause.

I have to agree with Ian Royal here - what on earth are you on about. The release clause is met and the rest is done on terms.

That being said, if Hammond was still here, we would get £3m at least for Gunter, even if he was in his last week of contract, such is the stature of the man.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 30 Jun 2016 15:54

I would be quite sorry (but not heartbroken) to see him go. He's by no means the worst player at the club and not the (sole) reason for our struggles over the last few seasons. He's been with us a while now and multiple managers haven't tried to replace him in that time plus, as a consequence, he's become almost part of the furniture, so to speak, at the club.
Most importantly tho, we're unlikely to get anyone significantly better for the money we'll receive.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 30 Jun 2016 17:25

wingnut I would be quite sorry (but not heartbroken) to see him go. He's by no means the worst player at the club and not the (sole) reason for our struggles over the last few seasons. He's been with us a while now and multiple managers haven't tried to replace him in that time plus, as a consequence, he's become almost part of the furniture, so to speak, at the club.
Most importantly tho, we're unlikely to get anyone significantly better for the money we'll receive.

Be interesting to see how Jaap rates him.
Basically, he's been through 4 or 5 managers, who haven't tried to replace him (or even bother getting back up for him), so they obviously rate him, he gets decent ratings from people I'd imagine to be objective enough (e.g., sports journalists rating Wales or Reading games) and aside from upsetting sensitive England supporters, he's never done anything that reflects badly on the club.
Also, unlike HRK - and quite a number of other past players, he's ensured that he's still with Reading if we want him, and we get money for him if we don't.

So he's loyal, reliable, and a decent player. Not enough for some, but I'm more inclined to trust the judgement of professionals (managers/coaches/commentators/analysts), then fans.

Personally I think it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt. In general, I reckon the players people rate higher than him would have equal faults if you were watching them week-in, week-out. If they didn't, they wouldn't be playing for Championship teams. We'd get a better full-back if we had 5 or 6 million to spend, we'll get nobody better for 1million. Most likely we'd get worse.

He's a bit nicey, nicey, beige of course. We don't want a team made up entirely of bland and inoffensive players, obviously. But we can't have a team that consists entirely of fired-up nutters either. There has to be some kind of a balance.

(Having said that he's beige, he seems to cause absolute rage in some fans - don't understand it, honestly. We've had players who were a lot worse, that didn't get anything like the same bile - seriously, what is it about him that winds some up so much?? )

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2016 18:18

No rage just can't see anything in him apart from athletic ability. Having said that watching him get absolutely overrun at Charlton time and time again last season did enrage me a little.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jun 2016 22:53

muirinho
wingnut I would be quite sorry (but not heartbroken) to see him go. He's by no means the worst player at the club and not the (sole) reason for our struggles over the last few seasons. He's been with us a while now and multiple managers haven't tried to replace him in that time plus, as a consequence, he's become almost part of the furniture, so to speak, at the club.

Be interesting to see how Jaap rates him.
Basically, he's been through 4 or 5 managers, who haven't tried to replace him (or even bother getting back up for him), so they obviously rate him, he gets decent ratings from people I'd imagine to be objective enough (e.g., sports journalists rating Wales or Reading games) and aside from upsetting sensitive England supporters, he's never done anything that reflects badly on the club.
Also, unlike HRK - and quite a number of other past players, he's ensured that he's still with Reading if we want him, and we get money for him if we don't.

So he's loyal, reliable, and a decent player. Not enough for some, but I'm more inclined to trust the judgement of professionals (managers/coaches/commentators/analysts), then fans.

Personally I think it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt. In general, I reckon the players people rate higher than him would have equal faults if you were watching them week-in, week-out. If they didn't, they wouldn't be playing for Championship teams. We'd get a better full-back if we had 5 or 6 million to spend, we'll get nobody better for 1million. Most likely we'd get worse.

He's a bit nicey, nicey, beige of course. We don't want a team made up entirely of bland and inoffensive players, obviously. But we can't have a team that consists entirely of fired-up nutters either. There has to be some kind of a balance.

(Having said that he's beige, he seems to cause absolute rage in some fans - don't understand it, honestly. We've had players who were a lot worse, that didn't get anything like the same bile - seriously, what is it about him that winds some up so much?? )

This^^^^

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jul 2016 22:06

Ian Royal...you hold the definitve opinion.

We all await your wisdom

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Jul 2016 22:13

OLLIE KEARNS 1. His one noticeable moment at Euro 16 was being bullied off the ball at the back post when Sturridge scored a last minute winner for England. The look of utter disgust on Hennessey's face while they both lay on the floor says it all and this standard of defending has been a constant during his time at Reading. All he had to do was stand up and block the shot !

:lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Jul 2016 22:19

I fear the Gunter haters will only appreciate him when he's gone

Superb performance tonight

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 02 Jul 2016 00:10

Hmm, this is the Gunter so often accused on here of not being able to deliver a good cross. The third Welsh goal this evening came from where?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jul 2016 00:33

Old Biscuitman Hmm, this is the Gunter so often accused on here of not being able to deliver a good cross. The third Welsh goal this evening came from where?

Gunter?

MrSwickle

by MrSwickle » 02 Jul 2016 09:05

Dave-Royal
tidus_mi2 Sod off £1m, you'd struggle to get a decent replacement for that.

Gunter not leaving you soft lad

Stop being so oxf*rd rude to people, you don't like it when its aimed at you so quit it.

Having said that, your opinion is about as valuable as a lump of dog turd!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2016 11:01

AthleticoSpizz Ian Royal...you hold the definitve opinion.

We all await your wisdom

I hold an opinion I'm happy to express, explain and defend. It's not my fault if you don't have the confidence / desire / ability to do the same.

Don't know what you're waiting for either. I'm not shy about what my opinion is and it's already posted here.

You don't have to agree with me. You're welcome to tell me I'm wrong or you're right. Kinda the point of sharing views and having discussion. Don't expect me to change my view or not defend it just because you disagree though.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 02 Jul 2016 13:09

Old Biscuitman Hmm, this is the Gunter so often accused on here of not being able to deliver a good cross. The third Welsh goal this evening came from where?

We've scored 3 goals from his crosses in 4 years that I can recall. Feel free to remind me if I've missed the odd 20 or 30 goals :-) Maybe its better to judge based on what you see week after week after week ? One swallow does not a summer make.......

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jul 2016 13:39

even gunter himself shocked at delivering a decent cross on twitter
I like the lad.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jul 2016 15:06

Ian Royal
AthleticoSpizz Ian Royal...you hold the definitve opinion.

We all await your wisdom

I hold an opinion I'm happy to express, explain and defend. It's not my fault if you don't have the confidence / desire / ability to do the same.

Don't know what you're waiting for either. I'm not shy about what my opinion is and it's already posted here.

You don't have to agree with me. You're welcome to tell me I'm wrong or you're right. Kinda the point of sharing views and having discussion. Don't expect me to change my view or not defend it just because you disagree though.

If only the buffoon practiced what he preached when writing this drivel.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 02 Jul 2016 18:16

OLLIE KEARNS

We've scored 3 goals from his crosses in 4 years that I can recall. Feel free to remind me if I've missed the odd 20 or 30 goals :-) Maybe its better to judge based on what you see week after week after week ? One swallow does not a summer make.......

Stat is only of relevance if you can evidence other full backs who have delivered significantly more. Don't recall Murts being a great crosser of the ball. Obit isn't pulling up trees on the other side at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2016 18:59

ayjaydee
OLLIE KEARNS

Stat is only of relevance if you can evidence other full backs who have delivered significantly more. Don't recall Murts being a great crosser of the ball. Obit isn't pulling up trees on the other side at the moment.

This season Gunter got 2 assists, Obita got 1
Last season Gunter got 0 assists, Obita got 7 and Kelly got 2
13/14 Gunter got 3, Obita got 4, Cummings, Kelly and Bridge got 0

Only fair to note Obita has been on corner duty at times though. And to be honest, not having someone doing better on the other flank doesn't exactly validate Gunter's performance. His crossing can be good. Like most of the rest of his game it's not awful, it's just below par.

The argument that Gunter is good at crossing because he delivered one good ball in a game for Wales, in a different position to the one he plays for us, is just a bit silly.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 02 Jul 2016 19:03

ayjaydee
OLLIE KEARNS

So 3 goals from his many crosses in 4 years is good is it ? Maybe its all the fault of the players in the box. Oh, except the majority of his crosses don't actually reach the box because the go straight along the floor to the first defender.
Don't get me wrong, he is a decent player but the reason he is where he is in club football is because he has some major faults. His ability to get around the pitch would meet the fitness requirements of any league in the world but he has spent his career in under performing championship sides for a reason.
If a premier league side snaps him up on the back of a cross at the Euro's then the very best of luck to him as I have no personal axe to grind with him whatsoever.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Jul 2016 19:54

OLLIE KEARNS
ayjaydee
OLLIE KEARNS

So 3 goals from his many crosses in 4 years is good is it ?

Maybe your recollection is faulty, as I can definitely recall a goal and two assists just this season. Or maybe you don't pay as much attention as you think you do! (Goal against Colchester, assist against Birmingham away (blackman), assist against Walsall home (Vydra))

Can't remember anything from Obita at all this season! But I'm sure somebody can dig up stats

143 posts