Rumour - Rafael van der Vaart

141 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Rafael van der Vaart

by maffff » 26 Jul 2016 09:37

Plus, the amount we've gotten off the wages and how FFP is split over the life of a contract etc, maybe not as unrealistic as we'd all expect if he's mates with Stam and would be comfortable with the environment/want the challenge etc.

Who knows, might even see a big name player that wants to be here and motivated to perform better than his last few clubs, rather than just chasing a game..

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Jul 2016 09:41

TBH his knees were shot to pieces at Spurs and he's dislocated one (or both of them) no fewer than 3 times since he left. He's played 7 first team games in the last 14 months and (if google translate got it right from the Betis fans) 'moved like a rocky escarpment' (i don't think it did, but you get the idea). He's immobile, but good for a set piece.

Unconvinced.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Jul 2016 09:52

Injuries are a concern but if Reading are attracting this sort of player then there's always going to be a caveat. Wouldn't compare him to Drenthe. He had an attitude problem and by all accounts VDV is good influence. It would be good to have him around.

Jano

by Jano » 26 Jul 2016 09:53

He doesn't need to move. Comparing him to Pog is a bit of joke too. This is a player that has played at the very very top of the game, has a 1 in four goal record with the Dutch national side with over 100 caps, played in a world cup final, has played in England and has a very good scoring record here too. I would be very surprised if his wages are as high as people imagine, they don't normally pay much in Germany and I think Betis were close to going bankrupt not too long ago so they aren't likely to have been awash with cash.

Stam must surely know his limitations, if he's being brought in I'd imagine its because they know they have others who can do the work around him, he would just sit in space, pick a pass or have a shot. I'm not actually convinced he's as shot as people say, he certainly didn't look it at Spurs, and that wasn't that long ago.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Jul 2016 10:09

I have a feeling this is more Stam doing his mate a favour by putting his name back in the media so other clubs sit up and think "READING? - if he's considering Reading then he may consider us, lets offer him more money and see if he'll sign for us instead"

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jul 2016 10:32

Excellent player but rather than another Drenthe, I see Wayne Bridge MkII, a dozen very good performances and the rest of the time injured.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jul 2016 13:33

maffff So many people on twitter comparing him to Drenthe.

If anything it's more a Pogrebnyak style signing, big gamble, hopefully mitigated by not ploughing in unrealistic costs. If it we actually sign him and it pays off :shock:.

I don't think it's like either really.

Drenthe was younger and had almost always been a waster failing at several clubs.

Pog was clearly more interested in the money and living in London than the football.

I don't think vdv would match either. He's not a talented waster and if he comes here it'll be for the football not the wonga.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jul 2016 14:29

I just meant on the personality side (i.e. wouldn't be trouble..) and having national links to owners. Expect on the motivating factors you're right..

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 26 Jul 2016 14:45

Wayne Bridge is the best comparison so far. It would be literally gorgeous if we signed him, but I fear he'd spend most of the time injured/down Mandela Court. (RIP).

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2016 15:46

There's only one way to settle this.

Pog:

Bridge:

VDV:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2016 15:48

Just realised they split up.

I guess that's that then. If van der Vaart can dump that, there is no way he'd come to Reading. :lol:

Although on the flipside you have to question his mental state and decision making process - maybe there is a chance after all!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jul 2016 16:03

CountryRoyal Just realised they split up.

I guess that's that then. If van der Vaart can dump that, there is no way he'd come to Reading. :lol:

Although on the flipside you have to question his mental state and decision making process - maybe there is a chance after all!

Suppose it was the other way round.....

Jano

by Jano » 26 Jul 2016 16:06

Is that Sylvie Meis? They split up years ago, he was cheating on her with Boularhouz's wife and a KLM pilot or something.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jul 2016 16:39

Sutekh
CountryRoyal Just realised they split up.

Suppose it was the other way round.....

Daily Mail Sylvie van der Vaart suggests ex Rafael left her after chemotherapy stopped them from having a second baby

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z4FWsr9ej3

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jul 2016 17:46

maffff I just meant on the personality side (i.e. wouldn't be trouble..) and having national links to owners. Expect on the motivating factors you're right..

Yeah, I see that mafff. Fair enough.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 27 Jul 2016 08:15

Betis sporting director, Eduardo Macia: " I think it has not worked. This has been shown to be so to the Board of Directors. We had high expectations. I had a long talk with the player, so he saw my point of view and he also conveyed to me his. He’s not happy. He is aware that he could have given more of himself, also that he lacked opportunities ... but it is not working"

plus ...

ABC Sports, Seville
END OF MARCH
Three months and 'no news' Van der Vaart
He still has two years left on his contract with a salary of one million €s per year
He came to Betis as one of the most exciting signings, but the season of Rafael Van der Vaart is one to forget. He hardly entered the plans of (manager) Pepe Mel; somewhat normal seeing such low level in his performances, while now for Juan Merino he doesn’t even ‘exist’! Problems of being overweight, injuries, lack of attitude ... since he arrived in the summer Van der Vaart has only been giving problems. And the worst is not the current failure of his move to Betis, but that Van der Vaart still has two years of his contract, with an approximate salary of one million €s per season. Hence the Betis have been months trying to find a way out, but the Dutchman neither is making it easy.

The last time Rafael Van der Vaart played with the shirt of Betis was on January 9th in Getafe. They were the last gasps of Pepe Mel as coach. Since the arrival of Juan Merino Van der Vaart has not even played a single minute. Moreover, he doesn’t even enter the first-team squad call up. Since the winter he has permission from the club to search for a new team, but the offers have not arrived …

------------------------------------------------------------------

Entre Reading...Really?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Jul 2016 08:33

So his wages aren't really that extortionate, €1m a year, which is equivalent to about £16k a week.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Jul 2016 09:40

tidus_mi2 So his wages aren't really that extortionate, €1m a year, which is equivalent to about £16k a week.

Given current rates, £14,652

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jul 2016 10:41

Or in other words, significantly less than Danny Williams.

Seriously, if Stam can get him fit and motivated, for £15,000 a week, go for it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jul 2016 10:57

From Despair To Where? Or in other words, significantly less than Danny Williams.

Seriously, if Stam can get him fit and motivated, for £15,000 a week, go for it.

Agreed, bit of a no-brainer @ £15K a week. Even if he only plays half the games I think it will be worth it.

141 posts