Rumour - Scott Hogan

130 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Scott Hogan

by sandman » 21 Dec 2016 17:28

JIM He stated he does not want Championship football any more, Dont buy him .

He hates playing in the Championship but he loves those Chinese Yuan.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Scott Hogan video

by BR0B0T » 21 Dec 2016 17:39

like the way that in a number of his goals the defenders are
all appealing for offside...obvs finds space well

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 21 Dec 2016 18:25

I think he is a fantastic little player and looked sharp against us a few months back. However whatever appears to be the norm in paying over the odds for a striker, surely this is really overpaying based on the fact his contract ends in the summer unless i am wrong? I mean we all laughed our way to the bank when Blackman was offloaded after a productive 15 or so games with 6 months left of his contract, potentially the same scenario here. I rate Hogan highly but surely given his contract situation, his previous injuries and his particularly quick rise to fame 9 million seems a fantasy number. Andre Gray and Gayle went for the same when i'm sure they had a decent chunk of their contract left and had had several seasons of goalscoring records to back it up. Speculate to accumulate i guess....

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 21 Dec 2016 18:38

ahh contract ends 2017-2018 season so that changes it slightly i guess..

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 21 Dec 2016 19:00

£9m is not a sustainable fee for a club of our size

Blue Label

by Blue Label » 21 Dec 2016 19:50

A goal poacher, with quick feet. Something about him reminds me of Shane Long

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Dec 2016 20:34

He looks like one of those guys who looks like he's running fast but is actually just moving his arms really quickly like in a cartoon..
Honestly I don't like the look of him based on those goals. He's similar to alfie but will cost 9 million.

In what way does he remind you of Shane long?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Dec 2016 21:30

Wouldn't pay £9M for Gayle at Newcastle, never mind a guy with half a season at Brentford and another half at Rochdale.

Fearing the worst if this is "Chinese" money. Wondering what the difference is to the previous "Russian" money.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Dec 2016 21:42

The obvious difference is the Chinese have their own money. Anton had a small amount but was reliant on finding funding from others. When he failed to do so he was stuffed. That's a huge difference.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Dec 2016 22:09

genome As good as Hogan appears to be, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this much money being thrown around straight away.

Big +1, I fundamentally object to teams in the second tier splashing £5m+ on a single player... it's bonkers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Dec 2016 22:19

milsj099 With the news that we have bid 9 million for Brentford striker Scott Hogan, I made this video showing all his goals for Brentford this season. Let me know your views on him as a player and our pursuit of him

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxXwWIN ... e=youtu.be

Right foot, left foot, strong, decent pace, plays off the last shoulder really really well (though still expect a fair few offsides), calm finisher.

I like literally everything I see of him. I'd still resent £9m though, but he looks like everything we need to lead the line.

EDIT: Checked Whoscored.com. He's only been caught offside twice this season... running the back line like that that's really impressive. Losses the ball quite a bit and not a huge number of passes, but decent amount.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Dec 2016 23:01

Ian Royal
genome As good as Hogan appears to be, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this much money being thrown around straight away.

Big +1, I fundamentally object to teams in the second tier splashing £5m+ on a single player... it's bonkers.

I do think Hogan is an excellent player but considering the club have never paid more than £3m for a player, it does concern me that we're prepared to triple that figure for a player with less than a season at Championship level under his belt.

Maybe I'm displaying a small time mentality but I don't care if the Chinese have bottomless pockets, this very rarely ends well.

Tommio

by Tommio » 21 Dec 2016 23:21

NewCorkSeth He looks like one of those guys who looks like he's running fast but is actually just moving his arms really quickly like in a cartoon..
Honestly I don't like the look of him based on those goals. He's similar to alfie but will cost 9 million.

Now you've mentioned his arms I can see it. Wow it's annoying didn't realise until you said, but still he is quite fast and will definitely improve us as a team. His runs will create space even if we don't play the ball to him. He's got a great ability to split the centre backs and he's clearly a great finisher. More than happy for him to come here, just hope he can stay fit because he will score goals.
Price is obviously a bit of a concern but if he comes in and scores 12+ goals then I'm all for it as his price will only go up if that happens.

George_

by George_ » 21 Dec 2016 23:29

Reading fans:

Moan when we haven't got any money.

Moan when we have money.

I have a couple of Brentford mates and they say Hogan is the best player they have EVER seen at Brentford. They rate him much higher than Andre Gray.

They also think in today's market he'a worth more than £9 million. He's scored 13 goals this season in a very average side and also bullied the outstanding Liam Moore when we played them in September.

If we signed him are chances of promotion this season would double. He COULD be the difference.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Dec 2016 23:48

Let's just enjoy the moment.

Rumour has it that we have new billionaire investors. We've made a 9ml bid for Scott Hogan, Jaap smitten on Jordan Mutch and there are whispers that Tsh might waltz back in.

Enjoy...... it's Christmas

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 22 Dec 2016 00:15

Tommio
NewCorkSeth He looks like one of those guys who looks like he's running fast but is actually just moving his arms really quickly like in a cartoon..

Now you've mentioned his arms I can see it. Wow it's annoying didn't realise until you said, but still he is quite fast and will definitely improve us as a team. His runs will create space even if we don't play the ball to him. He's got a great ability to split the centre backs and he's clearly a great finisher. More than happy for him to come here, just hope he can stay fit because he will score goals.
Price is obviously a bit of a concern but if he comes in and scores 12+ goals then I'm all for it as his price will only go up if that happens.

omg his arms... looks like he is armless when he is running he moves them that fast

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Dec 2016 01:35

Reading FC fans: the most self-righteous football supporters in England.

Is paying £9m for a fairly unproven second division goal scorer right? No.

Is it the going rate for any striker in demand in sutch a situation? Yes.

If we are lucky enough to be in a position to keep up with the times than I'm not going to complain, I'll join you all in bitter undertone murmurings of "we'll see where this gets us" but quite frankly the lutons and Portsmouths these days seem to be the exception and not the norm. We're all waiting for QPR to erupt and it's not going to happen.

If you can't beat em, join em.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Dec 2016 02:43

I have to concur that this is a crazy amount of money to spend on a Championship budget even for those still enjoying parachute payments. The thing is, it's all about that huge pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and how much those chasing it are prepared to gamble.

It seems incredible looking back that we got Kitson, Doyle and Long for 300k? :o but those days are long gone. Look how much we got for Tish with less than half a season in the second tier behind him.

The club has done amazingly well to acquire the likes of Swift and Moore for next to nothing and Kelly is starting to show just how good some of those coming through the ranks may become.

Simply, we are a very decent outfit that may just require the most expensive link in the chain.

If the new owners are really on board and believe £9m will get their hands on that pot of gold, who are we to call them crazy?

I still believe this club has massive potential and is very capable of following in the foot steps of Southampton, Leicester, Watford and Stoke. What it needs is the right manager and the right investors.

This could be it. Enjoy the ride and let's see where we end up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Dec 2016 06:03

I believe that for Chinese owners their government offers significant tax breaks for football investment.
Therefore £9 million is an insignificant amount when
A) you are a billionaire
B) you can claim it back from the biggest (or is it still the second biggest ?) economy in the world.
You can argue whether it is a good thing, because it is potentially a bigger distortion of the market than even Chelsea or Cityhave created. But I'd rather we benefitted than anyone else !

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Dec 2016 08:01

CountryRoyal Reading FC fans: the most self-righteous football supporters in England.

Rubbish. Reading fans = Melodramatic? Yeah. Knee-jerk reactionaries? Yeah. Self-righteous? No. There's plenty more entitled groups of supporters in the top six of our own division, let alone England.

Every club in the country would have fans saying exactly the same thing when they're on the verge of smashing the transfer record by nearly 4x. If he comes in and takes us up, fantastic, but I'm allowed to feel uncomfortable with us spending that amount on anyone because it's completely out of tradition and historically our big money investments have been not so great.

130 posts