Rumour - Scott Hogan

130 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Scott Hogan

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2016 08:35

blueroyals £9m is not a sustainable fee for a club of our size

Don't worry it's not £9m, in fact it may be no bid at all. Could well be just another load of cr@p made up by The Sun based on including add ons, bonuses, signing on fees and wages for 2/3 years

Charles Watts Reading are interested in signing Scott Hogan - but have NOT offered a club record fee of £9 million.

Reports emerged on Wednesday that Royals had lodged the eye-watering offer for the 24-year-old, who has already scored 13 times this season.

But getreading understands that is not the case - with one source describing the figure as ‘a joke’.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-12354977

One thing's for certain, given Brentford and the player's current contract position anything less than £9m isn't going to get anywhere

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Dec 2016 09:35

From Despair To Where?
Ian Royal
genome As good as Hogan appears to be, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this much money being thrown around straight away.

Big +1, I fundamentally object to teams in the second tier splashing £5m+ on a single player... it's bonkers.

I do think Hogan is an excellent player but considering the club have never paid more than £3m for a player, it does concern me that we're prepared to triple that figure for a player with less than a season at Championship level under his belt.

Maybe I'm displaying a small time mentality but I don't care if the Chinese have bottomless pockets, this very rarely ends well.

Our transfer record was set in August 2007 .
In that 91/2 years how much has the world transfer record, the British transfer record, the Championship transfer record and the records of most clubs increased ?
While I am not a fan of spending for the sake of it, and much prefer to see us finding good players at bargain prices I think the issue of busting our record is a red herring when other clubs have been spending much more than us in recent years.
If we sign Hogan for this sort of money our overall spending on the team will still be pretty small. We aren't Derby, Villa or Newcastle who have spent huge amounts....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Scott Hogan video

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2016 10:04

Tommio
NewCorkSeth He looks like one of those guys who looks like he's running fast but is actually just moving his arms really quickly like in a cartoon..
Honestly I don't like the look of him based on those goals. He's similar to alfie but will cost 9 million.

In what way does he remind you of Shane long?

Now you've mentioned his arms I can see it. Wow it's annoying didn't realise until you said, but still he is quite fast and will definitely improve us as a team. His runs will create space even if we don't play the ball to him. He's got a great ability to split the centre backs and he's clearly a great finisher. More than happy for him to come here, just hope he can stay fit because he will score goals.
Price is obviously a bit of a concern but if he comes in and scores 12+ goals then I'm all for it as his price will only go up if that happens.

I seem to remember sir Alex saying Henderson was no good because he ran funny. I don't think I've ever seen a professional athlete move so oddly..
If the guy comes in and scores 12+ goals and we get promoted, then yeah it would constitute a great buy! But I don't know how big an if that is. Acl injury recently right?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 10:55

Nameless
From Despair To Where?
Ian Royal Big +1, I fundamentally object to teams in the second tier splashing £5m+ on a single player... it's bonkers.

I do think Hogan is an excellent player but considering the club have never paid more than £3m for a player, it does concern me that we're prepared to triple that figure for a player with less than a season at Championship level under his belt.

Maybe I'm displaying a small time mentality but I don't care if the Chinese have bottomless pockets, this very rarely ends well.

Our transfer record was set in August 2007 .
In that 91/2 years how much has the world transfer record, the British transfer record, the Championship transfer record and the records of most clubs increased ?
While I am not a fan of spending for the sake of it, and much prefer to see us finding good players at bargain prices I think the issue of busting our record is a red herring when other clubs have been spending much more than us in recent years.
If we sign Hogan for this sort of money our overall spending on the team will still be pretty small. We aren't Derby, Villa or Newcastle who have spent huge amounts....

The world record fee had doubled in that period, although until United signed Pogba, the successive record fee was down to one club, the richest club in the world.

The British fee has nearly tripled in that time but, again, until the Pogba signing took it up a notch, it increased in incremental steps over that period.

The championship record has gone from £5.5m to £12m but has gone incrementally from 5 to 7 to 8 to 10 to 12 but it's all been by clubs fresh out of the Premiership (Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle, Villa) and apart from Andre Gray, none have been club record signings.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Dec 2016 11:04

We must be one of the few clubs in the top two tiers not to have broken our transfer record in the last 9 year.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 22 Dec 2016 11:07

The Premier League average spend has rose, because of increased TV revenue
Spend by teams relegated into the Champ has risen, because of increased parachute payments
Then you have a handful of Champ clubs with owners who are A) willing to invest tens of millions and B) willing to risk breaching FFP

I don't think our spending is much different from other clubs in our position.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 11:35

CountryRoyal We must be one of the few clubs in the top two tiers not to have broken our transfer record in the last 9 year.

But how many of those clubs have tripled their record signing in one go. I'll give you Burton who's record signing before this summer was £20,000 and who's record signing is still only in the region of what Pogba gets paid in a week.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Dec 2016 11:36

From Despair To Where?
CountryRoyal We must be one of the few clubs in the top two tiers not to have broken our transfer record in the last 9 year.

But how many of those clubs have tripled their record signing in one go. I'll give you Burton who's record signing before this summer was £20,000 and who's record signing is still less than what Pogba gets paid in a week.

Yeah I get that, there wasn't an angle in my post. Just genuinely interested to see if there are many clubs who haven't broken their transfer record at least once in the time frame.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 11:46

Birmingham, Leeds and Newcastle haven't.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Dec 2016 11:49

From Despair To Where?

But how many of those clubs have tripled their record signing in one go. I'll give you Burton who's record signing before this summer was £20,000 and who's record signing is still only in the region of what Pogba gets paid in a week.

Tripling is misleading though....
The world record has increased by £50 million, the British record by £70 million since we signed Fae. We are only discussing exceeding our record by 6 million. That is less than we generated in sales last window.....
I agree it's a biggish proportional jump, but in modern terms it's not massive.
Factor in that it may be funded by a state subsidised billionaire.....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Dec 2016 12:09

From Despair To Where? Birmingham, Leeds and Newcastle haven't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birmingham_City_F.C._records_and_statistics#Transfers

Hmmm......

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Dec 2016 12:11

They paid for Zigic :shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Dec 2016 12:12

I know! :D

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Dec 2016 12:53

Rather try conjur up a deal to bring Shane back in some capacity. Even if it's just until end of season

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 15:59

Hendo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Birmingham_City_F.C._records_and_statistics#Transfers

Hmmm......

Heskey was £3.5m up front but with add ons, eventually cost them £6.25m.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Dec 2016 16:11

From Despair To Where?
Hendo

Hmmm......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Heskey#Birmingham_City

At the end of the 2003–04 season, Heskey signed for Birmingham City on a five-year contract for an initial fee of £3.5 million, which could have risen to £6.25 million,[23] and would thus have become Birmingham's most expensive player

Hmmm......

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 16:27

Hendo
From Despair To Where?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emile_Heskey#Birmingham_City

At the end of the 2003–04 season, Heskey signed for Birmingham City on a five-year contract for an initial fee of £3.5 million, which could have risen to £6.25 million,[23] and would thus have become Birmingham's most expensive player

Hmmm......

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/emile-heskey/transfers/spieler/3142

Hmmm indeed.....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Dec 2016 16:30

Oh, so £7.92m then?

I guess if you are going to try and prove someone wrong, you could use the correct answer in the first instance?

Just a thought.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2016 16:36

Well, I did check a number of sources because the figure varied so greatly but the most consistently quoted figure was between £6.25m and £6.5m which seemed the fairest figure to quote.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Dec 2016 17:00

To return to Scott Hogan, looks like usual S*n rubbish (bit surprised though as Alan Nixon is usually more or less reliable).

Jaap Stam, quoted in getreading.

But when asked about potential swoop for the 24-year-old striker Stam said: "The club is nowhere with that to be fair.

"Scott is a player who, I think, has been on the list with every Premier League team and maybe the top teams in the Championship as well, because he is doing well.

"It has been in the paper that there has been a big offer for him, for something like £9 million. But I can tell you it's not true.

"Maybe that's a sell thing from agents and they're putting that in the paper to put up the price, but it's not true.

"We don't have that money to pay for players and we don't have the salary to go with that transfer fee as well."
He added: "There is a lot going on in the papers at the moment about money being offered for players, I can tell you that is absolutely rubbish. It hasn't been happening."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... m-12360793

So either there was a bid, which was way way less than that, or there was no bid at all.

130 posts