Players you'd like us to sign thread

741 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Players you'd like us to sign thread

by John Smith » 12 Jun 2017 15:57

Peter Whittingham is out of contract and seemingly heading to Blackburn. Surely he's still good for the Championship? Would be ideal to challenge Obita at LB and has a wand of a left boot

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jun 2017 16:53

John Smith Peter Whittingham is out of contract and seemingly heading to Blackburn. Surely he's still good for the Championship? Would be ideal to challenge Obita at lLB and has a wand of a left boot

I think weve signed enough 30+ LBs in recent years (Shorey, Harte, Bridge) to know its not a sustainable plan of action..

I would rather source a solid loan if we cant find an (immediate) upgrade on Obita (think Bertrand)

Jay Dasilva anyone?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jun 2017 16:57

don't think we need an 'upgrade' on Obita. He is decent

Cover would be useful though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jun 2017 17:06

Hound don't think we need an 'upgrade' on Obita. He is decent

Cover would be useful though

He is decent. I like him a lot and think he still represents one of the most encouraging products of our academy but as I have championed many a time on this forum, we need to (imo) buy first team players this summer, not back-up squad players.

Obita unfortunately is in one of the few positions that we have no out and out competition for. I think it would be a mistake to buy someone to bench for him and just as detrimental to buy a player of the same ability as him. If we buy a stronger player than him (which wont be easy) then at least we know we have more than suitable cover in a proven Championship player and a versatile option off the bench.

Failing to find a player that meets that criteria I think a loan move for a young LB from a premier league team would be a more sensible option than getting in a 30+ LB on a 1 or 2 year contract. Dasilva could be a good shout or that guy Wolves had last season or someone I have never heard of... (who was the starting LB in the England u20 WC win?)

If we only buy a few starting players in key positions it will have been a successful summer.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Jun 2017 20:18

RichTea94 Premier League players released. Picked out a few that could be worth a punt, or at least might be viable options at this level...

Frazier Campbell
Joe Ledley
Victor Anichebe
Jan Kirchoff

Kidding? I heard he applied for a job as a roundabout.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Jun 2017 16:38

Tunnicliffe released from Fulham - worth a shot if Williams goes?

The Informant

by The Informant » 13 Jun 2017 18:07

genome Tunnicliffe released from Fulham - worth a shot if Williams goes?

:roll:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Jun 2017 20:30

The Informant
genome Tunnicliffe released from Fulham - worth a shot if Williams goes?

:roll:

I can't really figure you out as a poster. You seem to saunter around the boards being negative and generally being a dick to everyone.

What's your deal?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Jun 2017 12:24

Just had a look at the 3 teams who have gone down from the champ,
A few players worth looking at as they would probably be reasonably priced would be,
Danny ward 12 goals last season in a bad Rotherham, side has potential to do better with better players round him, Cardiff currently interested at 1 million.
Richard O'Donnell one of the better looking players for Rotherham last term would make a good understudy to al habsI long term
Wigans will grigg didn't really set the champ alight but yet again has real potential and has scored consistently at league 1 level and may just need the right team round him to start knocking in goals.
Omar bogle we all know about him as he was linked to us before also now in league 1 with Wigan
Blackburns Charlie mulgrew is also another 1 we should be looking at with years of experience with Celtic and other clubs and he may be persuaded to have another crack at the champ, plays in a multitude of position such as lb, cb and cm.
Finally Sam Gallagher of Blackburn who still has so much potential, with 11 goals in the champ last season he is a big tall target man and bringing someone in like him now could be a fantastic choice as he would have a chance to learn for a year from one of the best target men in the league in kermorgant.

All 6 of these players I believe would be good signing I know 4 of them are strikers but it is a position I think we all agree needs bolstering, all of these players would probably command a fee of 1.5 million or less so would all be in our price range. Let me know what you all think.
As a foot note Ryan nyambe is a highly rated youngster at Blackburn who plays lb/CB that may be worth a look to
Last edited by linkenholtroyal on 15 Jun 2017 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Jun 2017 12:32

linkenholtroyal Just had a look at the 3 teams who have gone down from the champ,
A few players worth looking at as they would probably be reasonably priced would be,
Danny ward 12 goals last season in a bad Rotherham side has potential to do better with better players round him, Cardiff currently interested at 1 million
Richard O'Donnell one of the better looking players for Rotherham last term would make a good understudy to al habsI long term
Wigans will grigg didn't really set the champ alight but yet again has real potential but has scored consistently at league 1 level and may just need the right team round him to start knocking in goals.
Omar boggle we all know about him as he was linked to us before also now in league 1 with Wigan
Blackburns Charlie mulgrew is also another 1 we should be looking at with years of experience with Celtic and other clubs and he may be persuaded to have another crack at the champ plays in a multitude of position such as lb, cb and cm.
Finally Sam Gallagher of Blackburn who still has so much potential, with 11 goals in the champ last season he is a big tall target man and bringing someone in like him now could be a fantastic choice as he would have a chance to learn for a year from one of the best target men in the league in kermorgant.

All 6 of these players I beleive would be good signing I know 4 of them are strikers but it is a position I think we all needs bolstering, all of these players would probably command a fee of 1.5 million or less so would all be in our price range. Let me know what you all think.
As a foot note Ryan nyambe is a highly rated youngster at Blackburn who plays lb/CB that may be worth a look to

Unreadable

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Jun 2017 12:44

The Informant
linkenholtroyal Just had a look at the 3 teams who have gone down from the champ,
Danny ward 12 goals last season in a bad Rotherham side has potential to do better with better players round him, Cardiff currently interested at 1 million
Wigans will grigg didn't really set the champ alight but yet again has real potential but has scored consistently at league 1 level and may just need the right team round him to start knocking in goals.
Omar boggle we all know about him as he was linked to us before also now in league 1 with Wigan
Blackburns Charlie mulgrew is also another 1 we should be looking at with years of experience with Celtic and other clubs and he may be persuaded to have another crack at the champ plays in a multitude of position such as lb, cb and cm.

All 6 of these players I beleive would be good signing I know 4 of them are strikers but it is a position I think we all needs bolstering, all of these players would probably command a fee of 1.5 million or less so would all be in our price range. Let me know what you all think.

Unreadable

Sorted now sorry dealing wth heat stroke in tenerife

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Jun 2017 12:53

linkenholtroyal
The Informant

Unreadable

Unreadable

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jun 2017 14:35

Danny Ward, Nick Powell or Omar Boyle *may* be worth a look

I think we should be aiming a little higher though. Depends what funds are available obvs

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Jun 2017 17:31

The Informant
linkenholtroyal
The Informant
Unreadable

Unreadable

Your mums unreadable, lol. Bring back Dave royal then you would know what unreadable is.

The Informant

by The Informant » 15 Jun 2017 17:45

linkenholtroyal
The Informant
linkenholtroyal Sorted now sorry dealing wth heat stroke in tenerife

Unreadable

Your mums unreadable, lol. Bring back Dave royal then you would know what unreadable is.

The way you type, he comes across as more intelligent than you! (And nameless)

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Jun 2017 18:39

The Informant
linkenholtroyal
The Informant
Unreadable

The way you type, he comes across as more intelligent than you! (And nameless)

You really are a delightful person, that's about all I have to say. Do you even support reading or are you just the punctuation police.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 15 Jun 2017 18:45

Danny Graham has got a £2m release clause in his contract at Blackburn :D

urzmikep

by urzmikep » 16 Jun 2017 11:12

I see that Huddersfield have just smashed their transfer record in agreeing a £10m deal permanent deal for Mooy from Man City.

Even with our new Chinese owners do you think Reading would have spent this much on a single player if we'd been promoted?

Somehow I very doubt it, but shows that Huddersfield are at least giving it a go unlike when we last got promoted to the Premier League.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jun 2017 11:44

I think they would have done to be honest. 10m seems to be about the going rate for anyone nowadays in the Prem.

Mooy is a good player, but been far from impressed by some of the other players they are supposedly interested in

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Jun 2017 12:02

Hound I think they would have done to be honest. 10m seems to be about the going rate for anyone nowadays in the Prem.

Mooy is a good player, but been far from impressed by some of the other players they are supposedly interested in

The price of £10m obviously factors in his potential but with many of the teams who fight it out near the bottom you need to get your recruitment spot on each season or a season of stability can quickly turn to struggle the next season, something Swansea experienced.

So is spending £10m on Mooy the best use of resources right now? He was one of the best in the Championship last season but until they make more signings, their team is currently weaker than the team that played us in the play-off final due to the loan signings going back.

741 posts