Players you'd like us to sign thread

741 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Players you'd like us to sign thread

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2019 13:23

I put in another thread that I would like us to enquire at Southampton (as long as they are not miffed about the lack of game time for Sims) about Steven Davis and Fraser Forster.

Davis is supposedly wanted by Rangers in Scotland but wages up there are none too great and that appears to be an issue.

A loan deal for 5 months where he could just drive up the M3 and turn left?.
Likewise Fraser Forster who looks now to be behind Mc Carthy and Gunn in the pecking order and by a move to us would get game time-at his best he is a great physical presence who can command the area and not so long ago was an England player and by this move (remember Jim Leighton and weren't we in the 3rd tier then?) he could get noticed again and secure a bigger move in the Summer.

Events may have overtaken this posting but there are these types of players who might like a shortish term loan to get game time and put themselves in the shop window.

A shame that southerner Jayden Stockley has gone up North to Preston.

I wonder who Gomes can turn to who knows English football and the players involved at all levels.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jan 2019 13:37

Victor Meldrew I put in another thread that I would like us to enquire at Southampton (as long as they are not miffed about the lack of game time for Sims) about Steven Davis and Fraser Forster.

Davis is supposedly wanted by Rangers in Scotland but wages up there are none too great and that appears to be an issue.

Likewise Fraser Forster who looks now to be behind Mc Carthy and Gunn in the pecking order and by a move to us would get game time-at his best he is a great physical presence who can command the area and not so long ago was an England player and by this move.

I am nothing but a Reading fan and a massive one at that but if given the choice of playing in front of our half full library compared to a packed to the rafters Ibrox under Steven Gerrard competing for the title in the top division, I'm quite sure I know what most players would choose.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2019 13:41

John Smith
Victor Meldrew I put in another thread that I would like us to enquire at Southampton (as long as they are not miffed about the lack of game time for Sims) about Steven Davis and Fraser Forster.

Likewise Fraser Forster who looks now to be behind Mc Carthy and Gunn in the pecking order and by a move to us would get game time-at his best he is a great physical presence who can command the area and not so long ago was an England player and by this move.

I am nothing but a Reading fan and a massive one at that but if given the choice of playing in front of our half full library compared to a packed to the rafters Ibrox under Steven Gerrard competing for the title in the top division, I'm quite sure I know what most players would choose.

I agree with you for footballing reasons but there are other considerations such as money, travel and family.
IMHO he would be a cracking signing for us or them.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2019 14:23

I'd imagine that Forster would still be a cracking signing for a Championship club.

I just did a quick Google to see what the situation is with him and it looks like he's completely frozen out but wasn't interested in a few offers that came in the summer. He's apparently on £95k a week though, so whoever takes him is going to be stumping up some serious cash even if Southampton still contribute.

Agree on Davis. He's just the sort of midfielder we need, but is probably out of reach unfortunately.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jan 2019 14:25

John Smith

Adam Rooney is a good example of someone choosing English football over Scottish football.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jan 2019 14:40

Hendo
John Smith

Adam Rooney is a good example of someone choosing English football over Scottish football.

He's on about £5k a week and playing in a piss easy league for his ability. That has nothing to do with it being England.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jan 2019 14:52

John Smith
Hendo
John Smith I am nothing but a Reading fan and a massive one at that but if given the choice of playing in front of our half full library compared to a packed to the rafters Ibrox under Steven Gerrard competing for the title in the top division, I'm quite sure I know what most players would choose.

He's on about £5k a week and playing in a piss easy league for his ability. That has nothing to do with it being England.

Chose it over European football as well.

Just trying to provide a bit of balance.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 04 Jan 2019 15:27

Alex Smithies.

Etheridge was due to go to the Asia cup, giving Smithies his chance, but he decided to stay and play for Cardiff.

Excellent keeper, not getting game time.

nevo1970

by nevo1970 » 04 Jan 2019 15:44

Jermaine Defo until end of season.

Knows where the goal is.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jan 2019 15:47

nevo1970 Jermaine Defo until end of season.

Knows where the goal is.

Gone to Rangers.

retro royal

by retro royal » 04 Jan 2019 15:50

Efe Ambrose has just quit hibs, ball playing centre back experienced

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Jan 2019 16:59

Joshua Maja has rejected a new contract at Sunderland. scored 15 in 22 in league 1 this season. 6 months left on his contract. (reported interest from prem apparently) doubt he will cost much though and real exciting player

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jan 2019 17:08

Hendo
nevo1970 Jermaine Defo until end of season.
Knows where the goal is.

Gone to Rangers.

Yep, Defoe leaves on an 18-month loan deal.

Also,...'Gary Madine is undergoing a medical at Sheffield United ahead of a loan move from Cardiff'.
Figured he'd be available. Oh well...

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 04 Jan 2019 17:11

Bring in the following:

Hayden from Newcastle - Would add some Championship experience to our midfield and will get better with age

Buckley from Bolton - Can play on either wing and it wasn't long ago he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for Brighton. May not be a starter but would give us some quality out wide. I think his contract is up at the end of the year so we could bring in on a cut deal.

Gary Hooper - Great finisher and someone who can be relied upon to finish tap ins.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jan 2019 17:36

bracksroyal10 Bring in the following:

Hayden from Newcastle - Would add some Championship experience to our midfield and will get better with age

Buckley from Bolton - Can play on either wing and it wasn't long ago he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for Brighton. May not be a starter but would give us some quality out wide. I think his contract is up at the end of the year so we could bring in on a cut deal.

Gary Hooper - Great finisher and someone who can be relied upon to finish tap ins.

Heh, Newcastle fans have written to the owner demanding he get the cheque book out to stave off relegation.
Hey, do you think we should maybe.....oh, never mind. :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jan 2019 17:45

Hoop Blah I'd imagine that Forster would still be a cracking signing for a Championship club.

I just did a quick Google to see what the situation is with him and it looks like he's completely frozen out but wasn't interested in a few offers that came in the summer. He's apparently on £95k a week though, so whoever takes him is going to be stumping up some serious cash even if Southampton still contribute.

Agree on Davis. He's just the sort of midfielder we need, but is probably out of reach unfortunately.

:o £95k a week! Wow. Puts us out of the running I would have thought.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jan 2019 17:49

Zip
Hoop Blah I'd imagine that Forster would still be a cracking signing for a Championship club.

:o £95k a week! Wow. Puts us out of the running I would have thought.

Yep, most likely. Although, relegation to League1 will cost a lot more than that(?)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jan 2019 11:13

What's Sam Gallagher doing this season? Wiki tells me that he's at Southampton and has made 0 appearances this season.

I remember him running us ragged against Birmingham last season - a big target man type too - could do worse.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Jan 2019 12:12

I notice that Dan Burn is now back at Brighton after a loan spell at Wigan.

On the assumption that he is not injured and bearing in mind recent dealings between the clubs must mean that there is some connection -at about the same height as Jake Cooper he could be a useful asset for us with a presence in our box and at set-pieces in the opposition's.

It's all very well saying that Blackett has improved (not that much IMHO) and that Ilori is good in every other game but we need more than that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jan 2019 12:23

Victor Meldrew I notice that Dan Burn is now back at Brighton after a loan spell at Wigan.

On the assumption that he is not injured and bearing in mind recent dealings between the clubs must mean that there is some connection -at about the same height as Jake Cooper he could be a useful asset for us with a presence in our box and at set-pieces in the opposition's.

It's all very well saying that Blackett has improved (not that much IMHO) and that Ilori is good in every other game but we need more than that.

I don’t know much about Burn. Is he better than what we currently have?

741 posts