Players to keep - Players to get rid of

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Players to keep - Players to get rid of

by muirinho » 29 Mar 2017 19:57

Quote from Jaap today:

Brian and I talk about the squad every week. We are looking at players we need to keep and some we need to get rid of

So - opinions please

Two easy candidates in the "get rid of" column - Gravenberch, Wieser

One maybe - Quinny - so injury prone

Any others?

Crowbar6753

Re: Players to keep - Players to get rid of

by Crowbar6753 » 29 Mar 2017 22:58

Would get rid of Weiser, Gravenberch, Mendes and Quinn for sure. But everything really depends on where we finish at the end of the season. If we stay in the Championship i would keep the squad mainly as is and tweak it just a little, with the priority being a new striker who is strong and has pace to burn.
If we go up, then that is a whole new ball game with quality needed all over i guess. I think Al Habsi would survive, we would need a new right back to replace Gunter. Tiago and Moore should be fine, and i think Obita could hold his own. In Midfield, Williams, Kelly, Swift and Evans could do a job. On the flanks, i think McCleary, Beerens, Meite and Harriot could work. And up front Kermy as a back up.
That leaves us needing experience through out the spine of the team as well as a new forward line just to be competitive i guess.

The Informant

by The Informant » 30 Mar 2017 09:27

Get rid of

Quinn
Gravenberch
Mendes
Weiser
Cooper (Only because he doesn't fit in with Stam)
Samuel

Assuming we will be in the Champ next season, we have a great young core of a side

Kelly
Evans
Ilori (Even though the jury is out on his fitness and strength)
Moore
Meite
Obita (As back up)
Swift
Harriott

To push on next season I believe we will need the following

2xCB (I think stam wants to play 3 at the back)
1XFull Back
1X defence minded CM
1 X Winger
2x CF

Unlikely I know but get rid of some of the shit and get some quality in and I think we;ll be in for a good season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Mar 2017 10:02

like the straight talking from Stam - players to 'get rid of' - very subtle

anyway, depends largely on what division. Of course there have been a few cheap signings which haven't worked out - Gravenberch, Wieser and Mendes particularly. I think the line will probably be drawn on a number of the young players out on loan - I don't expect Stacey, Fosu or Tanner at the club next season, but I think they'll make a decent career elsewhere.

Cooper may well be sold, as will Samuel. Again two players that can, and in Cooper's case almost certainly will, make it elsewhere.

I think Williams will stay if we go up, will leave if we don't.

Realistically I don't think Rakels could make it in the Prem, but is useful in the championship. So again, depends on if we go up.

Other than that, I don't think we would sell any of the current first team squad whether we go up or not. Everyone has played a part this year.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Mar 2017 12:17

Black - stay
Green - new contract
Red - consider moving on

Outside of anyone that gets sold.... and no doubt we'll buy some players too.

Goalkeepers
Contracted until
2017 - Moore
2018 - Bond, Jaakkola
2019 - Al Habsi
Unknown - Legg, Southwood, Tupper, Ward

Thoughts: Given Ali is our number one and we've given him a contract you'd expect him to remain our #1 next season, even if he isn't by 2018/19.

With only one spot on the bench it doesn't make sense for us to keep all of Bond (23), Moore (22) and Jaakkola (30), especially when we have Legg (20) and Ward (20) coming through along with Luke Southwood (19) as our next great hope. Don't know anything about Tupper to comment.

Defence
Contracted until
2017 - Dickie, Hyam, Jules
2018 - Cooper, Gunter, Keown, Obita, McShane, Watson
2019 - Blackett, Gravenberch
2020 - Ilori, Moore
Unknown - Andresson, Bennett, Long, McIntyre, Medford-Smith, Osho, Richards.

Thoughts: Moore, Ilori, Blackett, McShane, Gunter, Watson and Obita should all stay. Gravenberch is still only 23 and has been injured half the season. Given that's 3 CB's, 1LB, 1 half LCB and 2 RB's we're fairly well stocked. Can't see Cooper getting a shot here so might be time to cut our losses. I'd like to see Jules get at least another year and Dickie to get a couple as 4th choice. Doubt any of the youngsters beyond Dickie have much chance of stepping up next season (sadly for Watson given Jaap would rather play a winger or WIlliams there in Gunter's absence). Although McIntyre and Andresson look to have a decent future ahead of them.

Midfield
Contracted until
2017 - Fosu, Kuhl, Rinomhota, Sheppard, Williams
2018 - Barrett, Quinn, van den Berg,
2019 - Beerens, Evans, Harriott, Kelly, Stacey, Swift, Wieser
2020 - McCleary, Popa
Unknown - East, Loader, Vancooten,

Thoughts: In the middle - vdB I expect to stay until the end of his contract with Evans the long-term successor. Leaving Wieser as 3rd choice it's unlikely he'll get off the bench. Only 24 but doesn't seem to be good enough.
Kelly and Swift should remain as first choice but relatively interchangeable, if Williams leaves I imagine both will start more. We should try to keep Williams. I'd like to see Quinn return, if he's the same player as before injury then he should see his contract out. Kuhl's days look numbered. I can't say I know enough about Rinomhota to comment.

On the wings - GMac and Popa should have the right nailed down. Can't see Sheppard breaking although only 19 so time is on his side if he gets an extension, plus Stacey has two more years - although both have also been used as a wing back on loan, so interesting to see if Sheppard gets an extension and where they fit in the pecking order with Watson. Beerens and Harriott should have the left. Can't see Fosu breaking through and he's done nothing since his debut - so seems time to cut ties. Have Meite and Rakels down as a strikers, can both play a role with the wings.
We still have potential coming through in Barrett, Loader and (a bit younger but..) Holsgrove.

Forwards
Contracted until
2017 - Novakovich, Tanner
2018 - Kermorgant, Mendes, Rakels, Samuel
2019 - Meite
Unknown - Cardwell, Frost, Smith

Thoughts: Doubt any of the 2018 crew will last beyond their contract, if until then. Samuel just doesn't look good enough - he has potential and probably will be - but how long can we keep saying that? Rakels is all round average and Mendes is nothing special - so any that get offers we might as well move on. Cardwell, given his loan to Brighton's u23's, looks as good as gone already.

Yann should see out his contract and will no doubt. I'd like to see Novakovich get an extension and to know more about what's going on with Meite (plus is he seen as as striker or a winger!?) given he actually looks decent on the few occasions he gets a game.

We need to recruit in this area.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Mar 2017 12:49

Kermorgant is retiring after next season so he can be put in red too

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Mar 2017 13:24

Royal_jimmy Kermorgant is retiring after next season so he can be put in red too

Well, no. We're talking about this summer and he'll stay until his contract ends.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Mar 2017 15:31

Stam's now come out and said Mendes has a future here

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Mar 2017 16:56

maffff Stam's now come out and said Mendes has a future here

And possibly Hurtado to by the sound of things.....

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Mar 2017 17:44

Oh shit. I forgot he existed.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 30 Mar 2017 21:50

Hound like the straight talking from Stam - players to 'get rid of' - very subtle

Couldn't disagree more. Extremely poor judgment by Stam when we're on the run-in to the play-offs. Disincentivising and demoralising to the players. Bearing in mind Stam is so big on utilising squad rotation god only knows what he was thinking when he said this.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 31 Mar 2017 17:12

Muskrat
Hound like the straight talking from Stam - players to 'get rid of' - very subtle

Couldn't disagree more. Extremely poor judgment by Stam when we're on the run-in to the play-offs. Disincentivising and demoralising to the players. Bearing in mind Stam is so big on utilising squad rotation god only knows what he was thinking when he said this.

Or it gives players who might be on the way out an extra incentive to prove something before the window opens.

Can work either way.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Mar 2017 17:33

If we can replace any player for one that is better equipped to play in Jaap's style of play. Then no one should be safe. We've a group of ok players. Doesn't totally gel as a unit at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2017 18:53

muirinho
Quote from Jaap today:

Brian and I talk about the squad every week. We are looking at players we need to keep and some we need to get rid of

So - opinions please

Two easy candidates in the "get rid of" column - Gravenberch, Wieser

One maybe - Quinny - so injury prone

Any others?

Don't make permanent: -> Mutch, Grabban
Out: -> Weiser, Gravenberch, Mendes, Williams, maybe Quinn and one of Rakels or Samuel
Accept good cash for: -> Gunter, Cooper (content to see both stay)
Prioritise: <- Striker, attacking midfielder, box to box midfielder, maybe left back, right back if Gunter goes

I think this is a pretty good base to build from (and I know it's more than 11, it's not supposed to be the team):
GK: Al-Habsi, Jaakkola, Bond
RB: Gunter, Watson
LB: Obita, __________
CB: Moore, Dickie
CB: Ilori, Blackett
CB: McShane, Hyam
DM: Evans, Berg
CM: Swift, _________
CM: Kelly, Quinn
RW: McCleary, Popa
LW: Beerens, Harriott
ST: Kermorgant, Meite
ST: Rakels / Samuel, _________

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Apr 2017 23:02

Beerans for me. After today's game. Lacks consistancy week in week out. Offers little defensively either. At least Gareth drops back and helps Gunter out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2017 08:30

Sutekh

According to futnsoccer.com....

West Ham and Bournemouth are set to compete for Reading winger Paolo Hurtado. After not being able to secure first team football for the Royals, the 26-year-old is currently on loan with Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes for a second successive season.

The Peru international has bagged six goals and provided three assists from 28 matches for his side, who lie in fourth position on the Portuguese Primeira Liga standings.

He has one year left on his current deal and will likely be keen to join either Bournemouth or West Ham as they will offer him the prospect of Premier League football.

As Hurtado has just a year remaining on his current contract, it is likely that he will be sold for a modest sum of around £2 million. He will have to also decide on whether he wants to play in the Premier League or remain in Portugal where he has settled well.

http://futnsoccer.com/2017/04/30/west-h ... g-outcast/

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 May 2017 13:29

Sutekh
Sutekh

According to futnsoccer.com....

West Ham and Bournemouth are set to compete for Reading winger Paolo Hurtado. After not being able to secure first team football for the Royals, the 26-year-old is currently on loan with Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes for a second successive season.

The Peru international has bagged six goals and provided three assists from 28 matches for his side, who lie in fourth position on the Portuguese Primeira Liga standings.

He has one year left on his current deal and will likely be keen to join either Bournemouth or West Ham as they will offer him the prospect of Premier League football.

As Hurtado has just a year remaining on his current contract, it is likely that he will be sold for a modest sum of around £2 million. He will have to also decide on whether he wants to play in the Premier League or remain in Portugal where he has settled well.

http://futnsoccer.com/2017/04/30/west-h ... g-outcast/

:shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 May 2017 14:22

£2m? That's more than we paid for him. If that's true, and I think we all know it isn't, then football really has eaten itself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 May 2017 18:48

:lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 May 2017 22:56

I revise my previous. Tiny and Mendes should stay.

Sounds like Hurtado really kicked on this year.