Danny Williams - Huddersfield

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Danny Williams - Huddersfield

by Hound » 21 Jun 2017 06:57

It's inevitable he will leave, so no real hard feelings

His performances towards the backend of last year were fantastic, and would like to think it was more a case of understanding his role and the system more than just about the contract

He was certainly absolutely gutted at the end of the final and I'm sure he would have stayed had we gone up

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2017 08:02

fair play to him. He spent 6 months working hard to get himself into the PL either via promotion or a move and it has paid off. Shame he didn't play anywhere near that level for the 3.5 years before that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2017 09:11

He's a big game player which can be a huge asset. I remember him playing out of his skin against Arsenal at Wembley too.

Shame to see him go if/when he does but if you want consistency or good performances away to Rotherham etc he's not that kind of player.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jun 2017 12:05

One season in the limelight before a likely quick return to the championship, if that what rocks his boat then so be it.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2017 13:25

if I was in his position I would do the same tbf

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2017 13:51

Big loss to the team - inevitable but shame to see him leave.

My little one's favourite player and he will be devastated he has gone.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Jun 2017 13:52

paultheroyal Big loss to the team - inevitable but shame to see him leave.

My little one's favourite player and he will be devastated he has gone.

I'll miss the excited lady in Y20 screaming "GO ON DANNY"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jun 2017 13:57

I will miss the little buzz he always gave the crowd when he went on one of his little runs, which inevitably ended with him being tackled and punching the ground after the ref not giving a free kick

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Jun 2017 15:05

Hound I will miss the little buzz he always gave the crowd when he went on one of his little runs...

:cry:

Hound ...which inevitably ended with him being tackled and punching the ground after the ref not giving a free kick

Oh yeah, forgot. :)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jun 2017 08:43

Won't miss the booking count though.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Jun 2017 08:57

Sutekh Won't miss the booking count though.

He's very good at picking up yellow cards in Football Manager in every version, I think I always hit the 5, 10 and 15 yellow card milestones with him.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Jun 2017 06:09

Winston Biscuit fair play to him. He spent 6 months working hard to get himself into the PL either via promotion or a move and it has paid off. Shame he didn't play anywhere near that level for the 3.5 years before that.

+1. Hal Robson Kanu syndrome...
If he did stay he would be a shadow of the committed focussed tidy player he suddenly became in January.
Wasn't bad before that of course. Loads of ability. Just noticeable difference in attitude as his contract ran down.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2017 07:41

I think to be fair, there was a realisation at the turn of the year that the Prem was a genuine possibility for Reading, and he clearly wants to play in that division, and I've no doubt it would have been with Reading if we'd gone up.

He seemed as gutted as anyone we didn't make it, despite knowing he'd likely end up there either way

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 23 Jun 2017 09:00

I wish Williams the best of luck in his career should it be away from Reading. I think he wanted to go up with us, hence his emotion at the end of the game.

I've always liked him, sure there's a few things of his game which frustrate me, but to compare him to HRK is insulting. DW is a much better pro than HRK would be in a life time.

I would hope this is one the players that get a gr8 reception when they come back.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jun 2017 09:29

LWJ I wish Williams the best of luck in his career should it be away from Reading. I think he wanted to go up with us, hence his emotion at the end of the game.

I've always liked him, sure there's a few things of his game which frustrate me, but to compare him to HRK is insulting. DW is a much better pro than HRK would be in a life time.

I would hope this is one the players that get a gr8 reception when they come back.

+1 LWJ

I think if we had gone up, he would've signed a new contract straight away.

It will be a big shame if he does leave as he currently does what no one else really does in the team. He can drive us forward with a bit of power, even if the end result is usually losing the ball about 25 yards out :wink:

Good Ol' Struggle Pig.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jun 2017 10:05

As I said in another thread. No qualms with DW leaving us at this point to go and get Premier League football, he's given us four years of his career and I think he deserves a shot, especially considering he always seems to turn up against big sides. I'll be interested to see how he gets on.

Him going to Huddersfield does leave a tiny bit of a sour taste but I certainly will applaud him if/when he returns to the Madejski.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 01 Jul 2017 08:48

Saying on the Huddersfield forum that the deal is off as they aren't prepared to meet his £40k per week wage bill...no idea if the source has any legs or is just speculative drivel

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2017 10:12

Surely 40k pw considering he is on a free is well worth it? considering they jut spunked 11million on bloody Tom Ince, find that bizarre if true

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 01 Jul 2017 10:17

LWJ I wish Williams the best of luck in his career should it be away from Reading. I think he wanted to go up with us, hence his emotion at the end of the game.

He will from me.

Couldn't fault his drive & commitment. Even if occasional lack of quality let him down (e.g. not seeing obvious easy pass after beating 2 players with driving run, then getting annoyed when inevitably tackled).
Best player by a large distance in this play-off. Also as mentioned previously had a fine game v Arsenal at Wembley. I always preferred us with him in the team than not. Just had to accept he had flaws.

At our level we will have players with some quality and some imperfections. I liken it to superheroes. They all have their Achilles heel, their Kryptonite, their lack of a left foot, their inability to cross in spite of getting into great positions, their goal-line fumble after a magnificent season, their penalty miss after a magnificent season.

If they were that much better in the first place they wouldn't be here. Just have to hope they iron out their flaws with us at same time other do and then they all stay.

One day .....

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 01 Jul 2017 11:21

harry
LWJ Just had to accept he had flaws.

At our level we will have players with some quality and some imperfections. I liken it to superheroes. They all have their Achilles heel, their Kryptonite, their lack of a left foot, their inability to cross in spite of getting into great positions, their goal-line fumble after a magnificent season, their penalty miss after a magnificent season.

If they were that much better in the first place they wouldn't be here. Just have to hope they iron out their flaws with us at same time other do and then they all stay.

One day .....

This reminds me of one of my rare forays into writing back in the day, when I wrote a piece for a fanzine praising Michael Gilkes as my ultimate Reading FC hero, great, but not quite good enough for a better team....

It's part of what we are.... The great ones, like Gylfi (Kelly?) Will be home grown and leave when their quality becomes indubitable