The Informant

Danny Williams - Huddersfield

by The Informant » 20 Jun 2017 11:42

Will be confirmed on July 1st

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Danny Williams - Huddersfield

by Hound » 20 Jun 2017 12:04

saw this one the Talk Reading twitter feed. Expect it will happen to be honest. Makes sense for him and Huddersfield to be fair

Starry Blue Hooped Wonder

by Starry Blue Hooped Wonder » 20 Jun 2017 12:05

Sad if true, but not entirely unexpected to be honest.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jun 2017 12:16

For the team that beat us in the play-off final to now take one of our better players for nothing is just rubbing salt into the wounds.

Tommio

by Tommio » 20 Jun 2017 13:03

Suicide is the only option

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jun 2017 13:09

Would be happy for him to go there. Good luck to the both of them, but I feel if Huddersfield are serious about survival then they'd need more quality than Danny Williams. Squad player sure, but not a prem starter for me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jun 2017 13:31

@Smudgersport
Lots of chat about Danny Williams joining #HTFC but nothing has been agreed as far as I'm aware. #readingfc

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Jun 2017 14:11

If he goes I'll wish him well afterall he's a free agent following a decent 4 year contract. And if he stays because he's not cheap it'll mean Jaap, Brian and the owners rate him high enough to be apart of their plan.

Just have to wait and see

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2017 14:25

At the end of the day I don't think any of us expect Danny to be playing for Reading next season. We all think he'll be in the PL and if that is the case I hope he does well. Huddersfield is just as good a place as anywhere else and there is a strong German connection there as well so he'll be a good fit.

Question really is who will take over Danny's role. I think Kelly could but is still young and is really getting used more defensively, don't think it's really in Swift or Evans' make up which means we need another quality midfielder on our shopping list to go with the 2 strikers, left back etc.

Norwood is available I hear :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jun 2017 14:27

They were saying on the TTE podcast that he was on £40k a week. There's no chance we were paying him that much, surely?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Jun 2017 14:34

genome They were saying on the TTE podcast that he was on £40k a week. There's no chance we were paying him that much, surely?

Anton days = 40 grand a week on a 4 year deal. And he looked like 40 grand a week as he ran down his contract towards the end, hursh I know, but true

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jun 2017 14:34

I thought the general consensus was he was on about £25k under Anton's madness.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Jun 2017 14:37

genome I thought the general consensus was he was on about £25k under Anton's madness.

even at 25k per week on a 4 year deal he picked up 5.2 million in wages throughout his contract..... was he worth that?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jun 2017 15:34

It's this one going to Huddersfield. Ssssh.

https://t.co/8489g3FRtr

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jun 2017 16:33

Was MOTM in final - best player of both teams so makes sense, but I think he'll struggle in the Prem ....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Jun 2017 18:59

For a long time I thought DW wasn't all that good; a headless chicken etc.

But this season has been his best, IMO, esp the second half (playing for a new deal?)

BUT

I don't think we will miss him.

I say this because he never fitted as a team player, and when he played, the midfield rarely "purred". It's true he made up for that "fault" often with tenacity, energy etc, but, for me, I like to see a midfield that works as one.

Anyone remember when our second-string foreigner midfield played Everton? In the end we lost 1-2 but I thought the midfield was superb until Everton sussed us, stuck an extra man in.

If Danny is going (wish him luck BTW) I fancy the midfield will be better balanced next season and our defence will seem stronger.

Though Danny wasn't "soft" will we need a hard man there? Kelly will need at least another season to be that kind of player (if ever), Swift, no way. DVB possibly, but he's a card waiting to happen. I can't remember if DVB has played a more attacking MF role

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Jun 2017 19:14

Snowball Though Danny wasn't "soft" will we need a hard man there? Kelly will need at least another season to be that kind of player (if ever), Swift, no way. DVB possibly, but he's a card waiting to happen. I can't remember if DVB has played a more attacking MF role

Tiny has.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 20 Jun 2017 19:18

Going to Stoke as part of an intricate deal to bring Wakaso to the Mad Stad

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 20 Jun 2017 19:48

I'm a bit surprised that people are taking this so badly, I think half a dozen good performances in the last month of last season are clouding people's judgement.

By and large he has been a bit absent throughout his time at Reading - either through injury or by being a bit of a headless chicken. He's got a great engine on him, but way too many times he let his heart rule his head - which was to the detriment of the tactics. He's also been a big earner, when perhaps his wages could've been out to better use.

I think a large reason why he played so well at the end of last season is because he knew his contract was running down. We've seen it time and time again that players (either consciously or sub consciously) raise their game ahead of the end of their contract, and I don't think this is any different. Salako, Blackman and McCleary have all been guilty of this.

Overall, I can't be too gutted that he seems to be off. I would thank him for his efforts (which have been plentiful), but I can't see him being too big a loss moving forward.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jun 2017 22:21

WAZZOCK I'm a bit surprised that people are taking this so badly, I think half a dozen good performances in the last month of last season are clouding people's judgement.

By and large he has been a bit absent throughout his time at Reading - either through injury or by being a bit of a headless chicken. He's got a great engine on him, but way too many times he let his heart rule his head - which was to the detriment of the tactics. He's also been a big earner, when perhaps his wages could've been out to better use.

I think a large reason why he played so well at the end of last season is because he knew his contract was running down. We've seen it time and time again that players (either consciously or sub consciously) raise their game ahead of the end of their contract, and I don't think this is any different. Salako, Blackman and McCleary have all been guilty of this.

Overall, I can't be too gutted that he seems to be off. I would thank him for his efforts (which have been plentiful), but I can't see him being too big a loss moving forward.

It's difficult to say and the cynic in us will always suspect that. It could equally be that he's coming to his peak as a footballer, in terms of athleticism and more specifically the mental side of the game - knowing what to do and when, which can't be denied he has added to his game this season where he showed little to no signs of it in the past.

Either way, I'm in agreement, it's certainly not a transfer I'm going to get too disheartened over.