RUMOUR - Jordan Hugill

133 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Jordan Hugill

by blythspartan » 26 Aug 2017 11:06

I think Hugill could be a good fit for us.

But if an £8m bid is to be believed this late in the day, I really can't see us signing a striker in this window, as clubs need to bring in replacements. I appreciate that there are still a few days of the transfer window left and deals can go down to the wire but surely everything is virtually sorted out before we get to deadline day.

If rumours are to be believed the club have tried and I know good strikers are a rare commodity but surely we could have signed another striker by now.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Aug 2017 11:43

Stranded £8m is about the going rate for a striker who can score at this level.

If we manage to sign a striker with experience of this level (and record of scoring) or higher this week we will likely be spending this much, who it is doesn't really matter.

Exactly. You can't blame the club for the fact the market has gone mental this summer.

Although I expect some will.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2017 12:10

Be a great signing I reckon

8mill is a lot though, but as said, that's the market

Surprised Preston turned it down actually if we did offer that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2017 12:37

I'm amazed by the number of people saying surely we could have signed a striker by now every time we reportedly have a bid turned down.

Firstly, we have signed a striker. Bodvarsson. Secondly, clearly our lack of a second striker signed is not for the want of trying. We've been linked to almost every striker going, with bids of two or three times our transfer fee record being rejected for at least two players and a third being ruled out through injury.

When we've been linked to McCormack, Hugill, Wells, Oliviera and Siem de Jong, it's pretty obvious we're doing everything within our power to being in a really inspiring striker, it's just proving ludicrously hard.

I mean Wood eent to the PLfor £15m ffs. That's an entire year's income for half the Championship.

To look at it another way, we're being asked to spend more than twice as much for one striker as we would receive for 10,000 full price season tickets. One player. Not including wages.

oxf*rd. That.

northend

by northend » 26 Aug 2017 13:04

I've been trying to get my info on here but it keeps being moderated or something like that.

You had a bid in excess of £5m rejected mid-week.

£8m cash rejected yesterday, and you're expected to come back.

You were interested before we played you too, although your boss must've been very impressed with him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2017 13:07

Just looking through some old web pages - seems Ipswich offered 1.5m for him in Jan and Birmingham 2.5m this summer

Seems a massive leap up to 8m. I like him is a player but does seem a bit high

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Aug 2017 17:20

Stam confirms in post match interview that we were interested but Preston won't sell him.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Aug 2017 21:44

Sounds as if Preston will sell. The price is rising though. As the bids come in.

Tommio

by Tommio » 26 Aug 2017 22:59

Lower West Sounds as if Preston will sell. The price is rising though. As the bids come in.

Obviously.. everyone has a price

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Aug 2017 04:42

Tommio
Lower West Sounds as if Preston will sell. The price is rising though. As the bids come in.

Obviously.. everyone has a price

Which for Hugill was rumoured to be 6m max. Surprised Preston have turned down £2m more than their evaluation earlier in the summer but not concerned.

Honestly, if we have 8m floating about then I'd be very disappointed if we spent it on Jordan oxf*rd Hugill.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 27 Aug 2017 10:21

Reading and Wolves are battling it out to sign Preston striker Jordan Hugill. "Major money" involved. [@reluctantnicko] #readingfc

Not sure what to think of this. For that sort of money surely someone like Oliveira, Austin, Long or Rhodes could be brought in. Even someone like Dwight Gayle if wages allow.

12 goals last season as their main striker doesn't warrant an £8m+ price tag for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Aug 2017 11:51

Sounds a similar player to Yann flicking through the PNE forum

Some suggestion that Burnley were quoted 10m they enquired. Wolves also after him

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Aug 2017 12:06

Transfer fee may seem high but I imagine he won't ask for as much money as your Oliveira's, your Long's, and your Rhodes's.

The transfer fee is just one part of the investment - you've got signing-on fees, agents fee, and then the investment in wages over the life of the contract

But anyway, if we enter into a bidding war against Wolves, there's no way we'll win it

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Aug 2017 12:47

Snowflake Royal I'm amazed by the number of people saying surely we could have signed a striker by now every time we reportedly have a bid turned down.

...and it's not like we're the only club struggling so far.

Going to be an interesting few days.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 27 Aug 2017 13:40

Austin.. good call, exactly what I imagine Stam would want in a CF.
WCBAP though, and fitness

What's Danny Ings up to these days?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2017 13:48

Preston have made it clear they DO NOT want or need to sell any players. Hugill, Cunningham and I think Barkhuizen have been subject to large seven figure bids and all have been rejected out of hand. Until a "really silly money" bid lands on the table I don't think Preston will bite in the slightest.

And anyway if Reading are willing to bid £8m+ for a striker I'd rather it was Oliviera ...

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 27 Aug 2017 14:05

Linden Jones' Tash Austin.. good call, exactly what I imagine Stam would want in a CF.

Only played twice for Southampton last season. Scored against West Ham last week from the bench.
Wages reported to be 55k/week.

West Ham owner Gold however hinted at his wages being as much as 100k/week in 2016. Probably an excuse because Southampton beat them to his signature

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2017 14:11

LightwaterRoyal
Linden Jones' Tash Austin.. good call, exactly what I imagine Stam would want in a CF.

Only played twice for Southampton last season. Scored against West Ham last week from the bench.

And the goal still stood? Just goes to prove that quality of officials in this country is getting worse.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 27 Aug 2017 14:26

I honestly don’t believe we’re in for Hugill for £8m but maybe by us putting it out there it works in our favour placing pressure on any selling club we’re negotiating a striker deal with…. Oliveira

Not to say that Hugill wouldn’t be a good addition, I just think £8m is a bit rich even at today’s prices.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 27 Aug 2017 14:47

Sutekh
LightwaterRoyal

And the goal still stood? Just goes to prove that quality of officials in this country is getting worse.

For oxf*rd sake. You're always at it. :lol: :lol:

133 posts