AAH to KSA?

118 posts
Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

AAH to KSA?

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Jul 2017 10:58

Vicious rumour that there is intense interest in AAH from a number of clubs in Saudi Arabia.

I'm working on a Saudi football league project at the moment and can confirm that the rumours are true. T

he rules were relaxed a week or so ago to allow Saudi Pro League clubs to sign foreign goalkeepers.

With AAH now 35, might he be tempted to finish his career with a couple of years in the SPL and close to his family in Oman?

The Informant

Re: AAH to KSA?

by The Informant » 02 Jul 2017 11:35

They'll pay him well also.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 02 Jul 2017 12:11

As much as I like him this would be a good opportunity to get in a keeper that fits the passing from the back system without disrespectfully dumping AAH.

Admittedly I don't know of any keepers that can play from the back that aren't already at a club above our current level.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 02 Jul 2017 12:15

I hate going for old players, but with Federici getting no playing time at Bournemouth, being a great passer and falling further down their order with Begovic - I'd love to see him back

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 02 Jul 2017 12:32

royalsroyalsroyals92 I hate going for old players, but with Federici getting no playing time at Bournemouth, being a great passer and falling further down their order with Begovic - I'd love to see him back

Seconded!

As much as I love AAH Im never fully 100% confident with him in goal.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 02 Jul 2017 12:46

I certainly wouldn't begrudge him a nice payday in Saudi before he retires, and we'd at least get a fee for an aging keeper.

I wouldn't mind Feds back either, although not sure if Stam is the sentimental type!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jul 2017 13:08

Blue & White Soup
royalsroyalsroyals92 I hate going for old players, but with Federici getting no playing time at Bournemouth, being a great passer and falling further down their order with Begovic - I'd love to see him back

Seconded!

But you would be with Federici? :?

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 02 Jul 2017 13:28

Platypuss
Blue & White Soup

Seconded!

But you would be with Federici? :?

True, good point. Tbf similar with AHH. I would love feds for championship but if we went up id want a better keeper. Pressure just gets to him in the prem.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2017 13:43

Blue & White Soup

Seconded!

Arguably the best keeper in the Championship last season? Statistically the best keeper in the Championship last season? Our POTY in the last 2 seasons? Who would you be comfortable with? Neuer?

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 02 Jul 2017 13:49

NewCorkSeth
Blue & White Soup

Seconded!

Arguably the best keeper in the Championship last season? Statistically the best keeper in the Championship last season? Our POTY in the last 2 seasons? Who would you be comfortable with? Neuer?

I agree he has played amazing. But he always edges on the side of slippery and mistake ridden to me. I mean just someone with his shot stopping but the composure to not pass the ball to the oposition when we play it out the back. That not fair?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Jul 2017 13:54

We'll not do better than Al Habsi. Losing him would be bad. It really is that simple.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2017 14:19

Blue & White Soup
NewCorkSeth
Blue & White Soup
Seconded!

I agree he has played amazing. But he always edges on the side of slippery and mistake ridden to me. I mean just someone with his shot stopping but the composure to not pass the ball to the oposition when we play it out the back. That not fair?

It is always fair to want the perfect player but as is pointed out above we will not get a better keeper than Al-Habsi.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2017 14:48

May happen this. Think his family and kids are still in Oman so wouldn't be surprised to see him move closer

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2017 15:19

NewCorkSeth
Blue & White Soup

Seconded!

60 plus goals conceded though........

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2017 15:20

Lower West
NewCorkSeth
Blue & White Soup
Seconded!

60 plus goals conceded though........

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jul 2017 16:07

I love Al-Habsi and his shot stopping is very good, at times exceptional, however he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet and that's crucial for our style of play. His distribution is also pretty gash.

I don't buy the "we won't do better" argument, if Leeds can get Wiedwald there's no reason we shouldn't be able to attract a good calibre of keeper. That being said unless we have lined up a replacement that is a definitive upgrade then this isn't an idea we should really entertain.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2017 16:18

CountryRoyal I love Al-Habsi and his shot stopping is very good, at times exceptional, however he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet and that's crucial for our style of play. His distribution is also pretty gash.

I don't buy the "we won't do better" argument, if Leeds can get Wiedwald there's no reason we shouldn't be able to attract a good calibre of keeper. That being said unless we have lined up a replacement that is a definitive upgrade then this isn't an idea we should really entertain.

There wasnt exactly a queue to get him was there.. He seem to be a back-up keeper with a few lucky years in the first team.

Do you watch a lot of Bundesliga? Because nothing about my quick search on him suggests hes anything spectacular.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2017 19:00

CountryRoyal I love Al-Habsi and his shot stopping is very good, at times exceptional, however he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet and that's crucial for our style of play. His distribution is also pretty gash.

Never been comfortable with his feet. Even before Stam arrived. I'm nervous watching from the stands whenever the ball goes back to him. Makes one wonder if it's in the minds of the defenders too. Would a different keeper instil more confidence. Moore and Bond are out on loan. Jaakkola seems little more than a back up. Perhaps there is someone on the target list.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jul 2017 19:20

Lower West

Never been comfortable with his feet. Even before Stam arrived. I'm nervous watching from the stands whenever the ball goes back to him. Makes one wonder if it's in the minds of the defenders too. Would a different keeper instil more confidence. Moore and Bond are out on loan. Jaakkola seems little more than a back up. Perhaps there is someone on the target list.

This is a good point and I think it's definitely a case of it takes two to tango. Knowing McShane's ability on the ball must also play a part in his mind, and vice versa with him playing it back to Al-Habsi. Either way it's not conducive and players in said positions more comfortable with the ball at their feet wouldn't go amiss.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2017 20:24

I want a goalkeeper who can stop shots and claim crosses. Al-Habsi's consistently done that after an iffy start with us. Let the outfield players worry about passing. And when I say worry about it, I mean not pass their goalkeeper into trouble so he has to be good on the ball to get away with one.

118 posts