AAH to KSA?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: AAH to KSA?

by Hound » 04 Jul 2017 10:09

maffff
Gunny Fishcake Another example of football contracts not being worth more than soiled toilet paper, he signed a new three year deal only months ago.

Two year deal

genome Harsh on Jaakkola but I'd actually quite like us to go for Ruddy as a replacement.

I'm torn on what to do
- Jaakkola said he didn't come in to sit on the bench, if he doesn't get starts this season I wouldn't be surprised to see him angling for a move.
- Bond, assume he's gone.
- If we bring another player in what will that do for harmony (as above)
- If it's a younger keeper on loan what message does that send to the likes of Legg, Ward and Southwood with their progression and longer term opportunities?
- If it's a player like Rudd, you'd imagine that's going to be a 2/3 year deal, again, what does that suggest about progression?

I wonder if one of the younger keepers has caught Beasant/Jaap's eye? Legg got rave reviews and was pulled back for the bench last season, Ward seems to be quite decent (and outlasted Moore/Bond) and Southwood - much younger but a lot of hype and potential with this lad, comfortable on the ball too.

For me, I'd probably start with Jaakkola (who we signed for a reason..) and Legg on the bench, keep assessing the others (maybe loan Southwood out and have Ward 3rd choice/u23 keeper), give Legg (21)/Ward (20)/Southwood (19) goes in the cups and if one really stands out then progress them (or give them a go if we have any dead rubber games). Getting a chance hasn't hurt Butland, Pickford, Onana, McCarthy etc.... although is that resigning ourselves to another development season (meaning we might lose Obita, Moore, Kelly, Swift etc.. after next season ends)

Be interested to know if we would have loaned Bond out if we'd known about this.

Jaakkola may as well leave if he is not first choice now

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Jul 2017 11:03

Jaakkola really isn't the answer, at least from what I've seen of him. Who knows, maybe he just needs a consistent run in a team like Ali did he first got here to iron out the mistakes.

Distribution makes McCarthy look world class.

Tommio

by Tommio » 04 Jul 2017 11:21

CountryRoyal Jaakkola really isn't the answer, at least from what I've seen of him. Who knows, maybe he just needs a consistent run in a team like Ali did he first got here to iron out the mistakes.

Surely his distribution will be a strength of his, why would Stam have signed a keeper who cant pass?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Jul 2017 12:37

maffff I wonder if one of the younger keepers has caught Jaap's eye?

good use of jaaps eye

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 04 Jul 2017 16:38

WoodleyRoyal

good use of jaaps eye

Shame David Seaman isn't still playing really...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jul 2017 16:56

Snowflake Royal I want a goalkeeper who can stop shots and claim crosses. Al-Habsi's consistently done that after an iffy start with us. Let the outfield players worry about passing. And when I say worry about it, I mean not pass their goalkeeper into trouble so he has to be good on the ball to get away with one.

Not convinced with ability to handle crosses. Far from the best in that department.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Jul 2017 18:10

Mike Hunt
maffff Fee of £310,000 split over two payments.

He'll earn £29,725 a week (and continue with his number 26 shirt).

His annual salary will be 5x the fee we get for him :|

That is fcking peanuts.

Sutekh
maffff
Sutekh
According to the BBC, sources close to Reading say the fee will be around £600k

Funny thing is I'm all a bit :| about Habsi (& Williams) leaving.

Suggest we concentrate at whether the club will promote Jaakkola or bring in another keeper.

And if Reading bring in another keeper that would suggest that Jaakkola's Reading career is as good as over as well.

It's because an automatic translate reads like two installments of £310k, but having checked with a few Arabic speakers it says £310k over two installments (so 310 total)

Thanks for the clarification on that. That really is an utterly pathetic figure for your club's first team goalkeeper at Championship level who has won two successive PoTS awards in a team that last year missed out on the Premier League in a penalty shoot out.

Are Saudi clubs strapped for cash or something?

Can I just reiterate that the fee is significantly larger than what the Arabic channels are reporting.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2017 18:48

Muskrat
WoodleyRoyal

good use of jaaps eye

Shame David Seaman isn't still playing really...

Jaap eyes next Seaman?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 04 Jul 2017 19:09

savage 4 england Get Feds in. #3 at Bournemouth.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a better keeper anyway.

Edit: Just seen he could be injured.

Splinters ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2017 08:14

Tommio
CountryRoyal Jaakkola really isn't the answer, at least from what I've seen of him. Who knows, maybe he just needs a consistent run in a team like Ali did he first got here to iron out the mistakes.

Surely his distribution will be a strength of his, why would Stam have signed a keeper who cant pass?

Now I would say the first thing a keeper has to have is excellent command of his box and good shot stopping skiils. That's two things; excellent command of his box, good shot stopping skills and outstanding communication with his defence. The three things needed are excellent command of his box, good shot stopping skills, outstanding communication with his defence and quick reactions...

OK, as long as he stops the ball going in the net he can kick it to kingdom come for all I care.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2017 08:49

Ali's brother has intimated that Ali will sign a 2 year deal with Al-Hilal in the coming days

http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman ... -Club-51ug

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jul 2017 10:10

:-(

All the very best Ali, it's been a pleasure having you around.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 05 Jul 2017 11:21

great shot stopper, but he has a mistake in him,

Sorry to see him go, but assume Stam has a plan!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jul 2017 13:47

Hound
maffff
Gunny Fishcake Another example of football contracts not being worth more than soiled toilet paper, he signed a new three year deal only months ago.

Two year deal

genome Harsh on Jaakkola but I'd actually quite like us to go for Ruddy as a replacement.

I'm torn on what to do
- Jaakkola said he didn't come in to sit on the bench, if he doesn't get starts this season I wouldn't be surprised to see him angling for a move.
- Bond, assume he's gone.
- If we bring another player in what will that do for harmony (as above)
- If it's a younger keeper on loan what message does that send to the likes of Legg, Ward and Southwood with their progression and longer term opportunities?
- If it's a player like Rudd, you'd imagine that's going to be a 2/3 year deal, again, what does that suggest about progression?

I wonder if one of the younger keepers has caught Beasant/Jaap's eye? Legg got rave reviews and was pulled back for the bench last season, Ward seems to be quite decent (and outlasted Moore/Bond) and Southwood - much younger but a lot of hype and potential with this lad, comfortable on the ball too.

For me, I'd probably start with Jaakkola (who we signed for a reason..) and Legg on the bench, keep assessing the others (maybe loan Southwood out and have Ward 3rd choice/u23 keeper), give Legg (21)/Ward (20)/Southwood (19) goes in the cups and if one really stands out then progress them (or give them a go if we have any dead rubber games). Getting a chance hasn't hurt Butland, Pickford, Onana, McCarthy etc.... although is that resigning ourselves to another development season (meaning we might lose Obita, Moore, Kelly, Swift etc.. after next season ends)

Be interested to know if we would have loaned Bond out if we'd known about this.

Jaakkola may as well leave if he is not first choice now

I would have thought we would because his distribution was (is?) atrocious. Definitely does not fit in with a manager who wants to play out from the back and return the ball to the keeper when necessary. I also heard a rumour that he might have an underlying physiological condition that made him more injury prone and might even influence his kicking style.

And for those who keep on about kicking ability not being important - the art of goalkeeping has moved on and the requirements increased significantly. To be a top goalkeeper nowadays you need to be able to do all of the 'traditional' stuff well and also be great with the ball at your feet. Add to that the ability to throw the ball in 'straight over the top of the stumps' from distance. In essence the requirement is now to have 11 good footballers on the pitch, one of whom is also great at keeping the ball out of your net.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2017 14:29

strangely I can't even remember what Bond was like with his distribution. Remember him filling me with little confidence, but he seems to have a had a quite good loan last year

Be a bit of a shame if we got rid imo

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2017 15:18

Stam said that Al-Hilal had activated a release clause in Ali's contract and that possibly explains the £300k being banded about.

Ali has said he would like to leave to return nearer to his family

Just a matter of time before he leaves.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jul 2017 01:06

WoodleyRoyal

good use of jaaps eye

I'm still laughing at you massive helmets. Well done.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Jul 2017 19:21

Has he gone yet?