RUMOUR: Gunter to Boro

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR: Gunter to Boro

by muirinho » 05 Jul 2017 15:10

CountryRoyal
paultheroyal
CountryRoyal
Bit more than a few. I'd say it's probably 50/50 maybe 60/40.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you are seriously saying that 50% + of all fans that attend Reading matches think he is crap and we want rid. :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you went from 0-100 super quick. No, not necessarily want rid, but certainly a large proportion of fans I speak to/hear aren't convinced and are more in the "anti-Gunter camp" if you will.

(Also 60/40 in favour of him)

Just seems that way to me. I've I'm having a conversation with 8 people, there will be a significant amount that don't rate him. Not sure why you find that so hard to believe.

Based on twitter -
there's about 5% who loathe him, and will always loathe him, even if he spent his spare time finding a cure for cancer, or winding up supporters of other clubs on twitter.
there's another maybe 10% who don't rate him but don't hate him
Probably 20% who like him but acknowledge he has faults
And another 5% who won't hear a word said against him, and believe being near him probably would cure cancer

Which leaves 60% of people not really caring one way or another.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Jul 2017 15:16

Hound Very harsh saying he failed last year!

Getting to the play offs was definitely a success from where we were and he was excellent in the final

"excellent in the final"?
I think "excellent" is a bit of over-hype.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Jul 2017 15:23

Getting to the play offs was definitely a success from where we were and he was excellent in the final

My point about faiiure is that he was part of a team that remains a Championship side that finished many points off the top.
He failed in the Premier League-he is a constant part of our failure so if the club is ambitious about promotion we need somebody better.
Giving him a comfortable 3-year deal isn't the answer IMHO.
My grouse is that he is neither a hard-tackling and aware defender nor a very creative wing-back so we end up with the worst of both worlds.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jul 2017 15:53

BR2

My point about faiiure is that he was part of a team that remains a Championship side that finished many points off the top.
He failed in the Premier League-he is a constant part of our failure so if the club is ambitious about promotion we need somebody better.
Giving him a comfortable 3-year deal isn't the answer IMHO.
My grouse is that he is neither a hard-tackling and aware defender nor a very creative wing-back so we end up with the worst of both worlds.

And yet he was part of a very successful Wales team, while still having exactly the same characteristics.
It's almost as if he single-handedly doesn't control the teams destiny. Who would have thought?

In any case, if you're going to splash out loads of money to move your team to the next level, right back is not the place to start, unless your current options are poor. Defensively, apart from a few catastrophic games, we were good last season, so why would you mess that up?
Concentrate on the areas that actually need fixing! That means more creativity in mid-field, and better strikers.

And secondly, I suggest you re-read Jaap Stam's comments about him in the OS. Would somebody as blunt as Stam be that effusive about somebody he thought was "the worst of both worlds"? Whatever you might think about the Stam playing style, or managerial capabilities, surely he knows a decent defender when he sees one?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 05 Jul 2017 15:58

Success and Failure are very much relative terms. The squad that finished very near the bottom of the league for the two previous seasons managed to get to the Play-off final, and only lost on penalties. That, to my mind, is the sign of a successful club. Whether you like the play-offs or not, they are very much a part of the game and many teams have been promoted through the play-offs who were 'nowhere near the top'. My opinion is that we will go up this year, and the experience of Wembley will serve the club well.

I like Gunter, I think he brings something to the team which is invaluable. He works hard when attacking (sometimes not particularly well) and also works hard in defence. He is like a fitter, faster Kermorgant. They both are at one end of the pitch one minute, and at the other end the next.

I trust Stam's judgement of a player, and if he thinks Gunter is worth three more years, then he is.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jul 2017 16:19

At the age of 27 he is now approaching his prime, the next three years should be his best and working with Stam i only expect he will get better.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 05 Jul 2017 18:41

Gunter’s loyalty to this club should be applauded. Most players receiving the type of media exposure he gets when playing internationals would use it to seek a ££ move.

Decent human being and decent club and international player, signed and committed to us.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jul 2017 18:43

Just found out I'm blocked from Garath McCleary's Twitter, a bit strange really.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jul 2017 18:51

I suppose this means another highly promising youngster will go out on loan never to be seen in a Reading shirt again.

Great.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jul 2017 18:51

Hampshire Royal Success and Failure are very much relative terms. The squad that finished very near the bottom of the league for the two previous seasons managed to get to the Play-off final, and only lost on penalties. That, to my mind, is the sign of a successful club. Whether you like the play-offs or not, they are very much a part of the game and many teams have been promoted through the play-offs who were 'nowhere near the top'. My opinion is that we will go up this year, and the experience of Wembley will serve the club well.

I like Gunter, I think he brings something to the team which is invaluable. He works hard when attacking (sometimes not particularly well) and also works hard in defence. He is like a fitter, faster Kermorgant. They both are at one end of the pitch one minute, and at the other end the next.

I trust Stam's judgement of a player, and if he thinks Gunter is worth three more years, then he is.

Just out of interest, talking of judgement do you rate Joey, a player that Stam selects whenever available?
As I said earlier it is very difficult to fault Stam on what was achieved last season and I respect his judgement of nearly all of our players but in Joey, Gunter and Mutch I don't respect his judgement.
Also we didn't make it last season so we surely need a few better players and right-back could have been a good starting point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2017 19:09

I think he judged Mutch pretty quickly. Though to be honest I think with him it was attitude as much as talent - comes across as a right tw@t from any source I can find

Joey is an interesting one. He isn't a bad player by any means. I find it hard to really make a complete judgement on him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED: Gunter is not going to Boro

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2017 19:31

muirinho 3 more years.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... m=referral

Quote from Jaap Stam
Chris has been a very important player for this club and was again last season, starting every single league game throughout the course of a long campaign. He has a lot of experience, both with his club and his country, he has great ability, mentally he’s strong and, importantly, you can always count on him! So I’m really pleased that the club have given him this new deal.

Turned down a bigger salary too allegedly

it is understood Gunter snubbed a salary increase at Riverside to remain in Berkshire

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... eading_FC/

That's Gunter, no ambition, play it safe where he's comfortable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2017 19:33

CountryRoyal Andy Griffin

Andy Bernal

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jul 2017 22:03

Victor Meldrew As I said earlier it is very difficult to fault Stam on what was achieved last season and I respect his judgement of nearly all of our players but in Joey, Gunter and Mutch I don't respect his judgement.

Stam made the most of what he had available to him. He stood by Al Habsi even though he was totally unsuitable for the style of football we were trying to play. Sign of a good manager. Once the season ended and the transfer window opened. Stam knew which parts of the team he has to improve on. Gunter will be the most suitable candidate for Captain next season. An important role.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2017 22:15

Lower West
Victor Meldrew As I said earlier it is very difficult to fault Stam on what was achieved last season and I respect his judgement of nearly all of our players but in Joey, Gunter and Mutch I don't respect his judgement.

Stam made the most of what he had available to him. He stood by Al Habsi even though he was totally unsuitable for the style of football we were trying to play. Sign of a good manager. Once the season ended and the transfer window opened. Stam knew which parts of the team he has to improve on. Gunter will be the most suitable candidate for Captain next season. An important role.

He's already proven he was a poor captain under Adkins. I can't think of a worse candidate in our side now Williams has gone.

I can't see any reason to demote McShane, and if we did I'd give it to Moore, Kermorgant, Berg or McCleary long before I gave it to Gunter.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED: Gunter is not going to Boro

by Horsham Royal » 05 Jul 2017 23:47

Snowflake Royal
muirinho 3 more years.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... m=referral

Quote from Jaap Stam
Chris has been a very important player for this club and was again last season, starting every single league game throughout the course of a long campaign. He has a lot of experience, both with his club and his country, he has great ability, mentally he’s strong and, importantly, you can always count on him! So I’m really pleased that the club have given him this new deal.

Turned down a bigger salary too allegedly

it is understood Gunter snubbed a salary increase at Riverside to remain in Berkshire

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... eading_FC/

That's Gunter, no ambition, play it safe where he's comfortable.

If you equate ambition with earning ££££, you may be right.
But if you equate ambition with actually achieving something (e.g. getting promoted) you're wide of the mark.

Tommio

by Tommio » 05 Jul 2017 23:54

Snowflake Royal
Lower West

He's already proven he was a poor captain under Adkins. I can't think of a worse candidate in our side now Williams has gone.

I can't see any reason to demote McShane, and if we did I'd give it to Moore, Kermorgant, Berg or McCleary long before I gave it to Gunter.

Complete lol at this.
If we play a back 5, McShane is 4th choice behind Moore, Ilori and Blackett so we'll need a new captain.

And then for you to suggest that McCleary is suitable for captain is completely laughable. Showed his lack of cool headedness against Barnsley last season. Try to switch your brain on next time before you post.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jul 2017 01:01

Tommio
    Snowflake Royal
    Lower West

Complete lol at this.
    If we play a back 5, McShane is 4th choice behind Moore, Ilori and Blackett so we'll need a new captain.

And then for you to suggest that McCleary is suitable for captain is completely laughable. Showed his lack of cool headedness against Barnsley last season. Try to switch your brain on next time before you post.

You're coming across as a bit of a prick. Again.

The Informant

by The Informant » 06 Jul 2017 07:09

And once again you're here to tell him/everyone.

Concentrate on how you come across yourself and stop trying to be the board police is my advice.

Snowflake Royal
    Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jul 2017 07:28

Tommio
    Snowflake Royal
    Lower West

Complete lol at this.

Just fyi, you saying McShane is 4th choice based on nothing but your own musings is meaningless. And even if he was, which is daft, it doesn't mean he needs to have the captaincy removed.

Also lol at getting indignant about my 5th choice captain when the alternative suggested as first choice is Gunter. A man whose already failed as captain and had the armband take away from him.