725 posts
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Nelson Oliveira

by Oilroyal » 05 Aug 2017 22:37

Jagermesiter1871
Oilroyal
Jagermesiter1871
It's one game you twit. Hardly makes us 'miles apart'. It's not like they even won their bloody game ffs.

The result wont effect my life or happiness or twitness as you prefer to put it ... just disappointed so many on here go out of their way to paper over the cracks. We should have given a better showing of ourselves this afternoon. QPR will be lower reaches of the Championship table yet we gifted them 3 pts... poor team selection, poor preseason, poor transfer window... Just saying (I’m a supporter and have been for decades) not here to wind people up... just saying.

Well I agree with all of that and if you look at all the post's I've made today I've essentially said the same. I don't however think Norwich are miles ahead of us, in any capacity and you can't make the judgement based on one game of football.

Fair enough and i guess we'll both have our answer on the distance between us and Norwich when we play them next month.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 Aug 2017 00:19

Oilroyal
maffff Strong celebration aimed at Farke for not starting him today. Definitely a not so subtle "oxf*rd you"

Mafff I follow you on twitter because you’re pretty much where it’s at, and respect (funny too) but do you honestly believe a player of this quality will sign for us. We are miles apart on today’s showing .. QPR 2 – READING 0

First game of the season. With our manager and setup from last season / playing style we're an attractive option for players. Pay good wages too.

Would be surprised but stranger things have happened mate. Jaap's a fan of him, too.

If between now and end of August he finds himself spending most games with Jerome starting to tire defences and him getting the last 20, don't be surprised if he starts pushing for a move. He knows both we and Wolves have shown interest, he knows we had a bid put in. He'd also know, seeing our attacking options, he'd be the focal point. That's attractive to a footballer. Did I mention we also pay higher wages?
Last edited by maffff on 06 Aug 2017 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Aug 2017 09:07

Oilroyal
Jagermesiter1871
Oilroyal
The result wont effect my life or happiness or twitness as you prefer to put it ... just disappointed so many on here go out of their way to paper over the cracks. We should have given a better showing of ourselves this afternoon. QPR will be lower reaches of the Championship table yet we gifted them 3 pts... poor team selection, poor preseason, poor transfer window... Just saying (I’m a supporter and have been for decades) not here to wind people up... just saying.

Well I agree with all of that and if you look at all the post's I've made today I've essentially said the same. I don't however think Norwich are miles ahead of us, in any capacity and you can't make the judgement based on one game of football.

Fair enough and i guess we'll both have our answer on the distance between us and Norwich when we play them next month.

The thing is I'm not even saying they're not miles ahead. Just that's it's mental to call it one game into the season.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 06 Aug 2017 12:17

WAZZOCK
The Royal Forester
WAZZOCK Might as well write the season off.

Nothing good has ever happened to a team that lost on the opening day, EVER.

I assume that is a sarcastic comment. If not, how long have you been a Reading supporter?

Yes

Good. Just shows how many supporters over react to a loss.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 07 Aug 2017 05:31

When we lost on the opening day in 2005, I came away saying that if we play like that all season we're going up (never expected us to actually then only lose once more though). You can't say that after the game on Saturday. If anything, I was saying if we play like that all season we're going down. I don't think we WILL play like that all season though, but a top 6 finish is looking unlikely right now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Aug 2017 08:31

Rawlie19

When we lost on the opening day in 2005, I came away saying that if we play like that all season we're going up (never expected us to actually then only lose once more though). You can't say that after the game on Saturday. If anything, I was saying if we play like that all season we're going down. I don't think we WILL play like that all season though, but a top 6 finish is looking unlikely right now.

2011/2012. After 6 games wasn't Reading's record P6 W0 D1 L5......

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2017 08:36

Oilroyal
Snowflake Royal
Oilroyal
Fullham up next this Tuesday, what'd you reckon?

You can't judge a team based on one, two or five performances at the start of the season.

Please can you just pause for one moment. A basket case of a club like QPR beat us 2-0, could have easily been 4-0 yet no one is too concerned? Can I borrow your rose tinted please becuase I just see shite through the ones I'm wearing

You might want to pause yourself for one moment .There were several away performances like Saturday's during the course of last season. In fact cast your mind back to our very first away game last season. Abject 2-0 defeat at Wolves It didn't stop us finishing 3rd.

Go back one year to the comments after that Wolves game on here and it should be an indicator as to why making a judgement and throwing your toys out of the pram during the first few weeks of the season (let alone the first game) is both hysterical and daft.

And how we did in one game against QPR won't make a blind bit of difference as to whether Oliveira would join us or not.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Aug 2017 09:17

This probably isn't the right place for this discussion but you're being equally hysterical and daft with that response as you have completely missed the point. The fans who suffered that performance are annoyed because it was the clear that the team was completely unprepared. Stam cocked up the preseason and didn't get his team to be match ready and competitive. Everyone was off the pace.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 07 Aug 2017 09:22

Sutekh
Rawlie19

And clearly didn't play like those first 6 games ALL season. A massive improvement was made later in the year (new manager?)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2017 10:30

PieEater This probably isn't the right place for this discussion but you're being equally hysterical and daft with that response as you have completely missed the point. The fans who suffered that performance are annoyed because it was the clear that the team was completely unprepared. Stam cocked up the preseason and didn't get his team to be match ready and competitive. Everyone was off the pace.

If you're replying to me then you're correct it's probably not the right place for the discussion you seem to want to have about our pre-season not preparing us to hit the ground running on day one. FWIW if that was the point I was replying to (as I am now) I'd tend to agree with you. Equally though there might be a wider discussion over whether the main intent and value of pre-season is to be fully prepared for game 1 or to more to build up a base to prepare for a season of Championship football.

For clarity I quoted, in full, the precise point I was replying to .

And on that point I maintain that there were many who went to that first away game at Wolves and were immediately pessimistic about the season in the same way as OliRoyal and others after Saturday's equally piss poor performance.

It was daft and hysterical then and it's daft and hysterical now. In my opinion of course.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Aug 2017 11:05

For a bit more perspective, QPR beat Leeds 3-0 on the opening day last season. Leeds finished 22 points ahead of them.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Aug 2017 11:07

Vision
PieEater This probably isn't the right place for this discussion but you're being equally hysterical and daft with that response as you have completely missed the point. The fans who suffered that performance are annoyed because it was the clear that the team was completely unprepared. Stam cocked up the preseason and didn't get his team to be match ready and competitive. Everyone was off the pace.

If you're replying to me then you're correct it's probably not the right place for the discussion you seem to want to have about our pre-season not preparing us to hit the ground running on day one. FWIW if that was the point I was replying to (as I am now) I'd tend to agree with you. Equally though there might be a wider discussion over whether the main intent and value of pre-season is to be fully prepared for game 1 or to more to build up a base to prepare for a season of Championship football.

And on that point I maintain that there were many who went to that first away game at Wolves and were immediately pessimistic about the season in the same way as OliRoyal and others after Saturday's equally piss poor performance.

It was daft and hysterical then and it's daft and hysterical now. In my opinion of course.

I can understand why you might view my comments as an overreaction, after all it’s just one game. But my reaction to Saturday’s performance was more to do with the club having had plenty of time to prepare, time enough to secure their transfer targets early and put out a competitive side.

Saturday afternoon confirmed (to me anyway) that we had a poor preseason, and by Jaap’s own admission we were poorly prepared for our first game and due to a lengthy injury list our team selection was poor on the day.

All of the above resulted is a poor display, poor result and poor reaction.

I could sugar-coat it for you and avoid some flack by saying “it’s just one game”, but it’s not just one game, it is our lack of preparation in several key areas leading up to this “one game”.
Last edited by Oilroyal on 07 Aug 2017 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Aug 2017 11:07

Vision

I distinctly remember having an argument with a hysterical poster after the 4-1 defeat by Newcastle, saying exactly the same things. Look how that season turned out.

I will never understand fans who overreact to every little thing. It can't make supporting the club a very fun experience. Just calm down!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2017 12:55

Oilroyal
Vision

I can understand why you might view my comments as an overreaction, after all it’s just one game. But my reaction to Saturday’s performance was more to do with the club having had plenty of time to prepare, time enough to secure their transfer targets early and put out a competitive side.

Saturday afternoon confirmed (to me anyway) that we had a poor preseason, and by Jaap’s own admission we were poorly prepared for our first game and due to a lengthy injury list our team selection was poor on the day.

All of the above resulted is a poor display, poor result and poor reaction.

I could sugar-coat it for you and avoid some flack by saying “it’s just one game”, but it’s not just one game, it is our lack of preparation in several key areas leading up to this “one game”.

I don't need you to sugar coat anything for me, I've seen enough pre-seasons, opening games and full seasons to know that one game (whether you put it down to a poor pre-season or not) won't define our season. You were the one who was asking others to "pause for a moment" I'm suggesting you might want to do the same.

Technically we had less time than any Championship club to prepare as our season was extended beyond everyone else. As I said earlier I think our preparation has been different to say the least and it's not one I'm particularly keen on but to put Saturday's performance solely down to that. As I said though there's a conversation to be had as to whether pre-season is geared towards mainly to making sure you're bang on from game 1 or whether it's to provide a base level for a full season.

That side on Saturday even without 3 or 4 key missing players should still have been competitive. Sometimes players however well prepared and talented have poor games and sometimes the opposition play well. It's the championship if you're not on your game for whatever reason you're gonna struggle.

Equally the point still stands that last season there were similar poor performances particularly away from home (including our first one of the season at Wolves, check that BFTG thread and you'll see very similar remarks). It didn't stop us having a season that defied pretty much all expectations so I'm not sure why we should all be so concerned at this stage. However it's not for me to tell how you should feel and if you're pissed off, frustrated and concerned after Saturday then fair play.

Anyway. Back to the thread. This one game will have zero effect on whether or not Oliveira signs for us. :wink:

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 07 Aug 2017 12:58

Rawlie19
Sutekh
Rawlie19 When we lost on the opening day in 2005, I came away saying that if we play like that all season we're going up (never expected us to actually then only lose once more though). You can't say that after the game on Saturday. If anything, I was saying if we play like that all season we're going down. I don't think we WILL play like that all season though, but a top 6 finish is looking unlikely right now.

And clearly didn't play like those first 6 games ALL season. A massive improvement was made later in the year (new manager?)

I'm sorry? :shock:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Aug 2017 13:25

WAZZOCK
Rawlie19
Sutekh

I'm sorry? :shock:

That season was completely different and therefore not a fair comparison.
For one thing we'd just come off the back of a demoralising playoff final defeat at Wembley.

Thank god we sacked the manager before the rot truly set in.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Aug 2017 13:28

Blimey I saw 11 replies today thinking there might be developments on the Oliveira rumour. only to find its BFTG QPR mark 2. :shock:

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Aug 2017 13:36

Vision
Oilroyal
Snowflake Royal You can't judge a team based on one, two or five performances at the start of the season.

Please can you just pause for one moment. A basket case of a club like QPR beat us 2-0, could have easily been 4-0 yet no one is too concerned? Can I borrow your rose tinted please becuase I just see shite through the ones I'm wearing

You might want to pause yourself for one moment .There were several away performances like Saturday's during the course of last season. In fact cast your mind back to our very first away game last season. Abject 2-0 defeat at Wolves It didn't stop us finishing 3rd.

Go back one year to the comments after that Wolves game on here and it should be an indicator as to why making a judgement and throwing your toys out of the pram during the first few weeks of the season (let alone the first game) is both hysterical and daft.

And how we did in one game against QPR won't make a blind bit of difference as to whether Oliveira would join us or not.

Fair enough. And typical we perform badly against unfancied teams and better against the rated teams so let’s hope this is true for our first home game in the league.

Oliveira was an excellent target early summer but I think we’ve missed out what with the money Norwich received for Murphy. Not so sure he’ll leave for us within the next 3 weeks, maybe in January. When the Oliveira rumour surfaced we had our chance but Newcastle read the situation that “Norwich needs to offload” and acted quickly with a decent bid for Murphy. Norwich books are balanced for now.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2017 14:04

Oilroyal
Vision
Oilroyal

Fair enough. And typical we perform badly against unfancied teams and better against the rated teams so let’s hope this is true for our first home game in the league.

Oliveira was an excellent target early summer but I think we’ve missed out what with the money Norwich received for Murphy. Not so sure he’ll leave for us within the next 3 weeks, maybe in January. When the Oliveira rumour surfaced we had our chance but Newcastle read the situation that “Norwich needs to offload” and acted quickly with a decent bid for Murphy. Norwich books are balanced for now.

I'm not sure how much of a goer this particularly rumour ever was really. But if we were as serious as the rumour suggests wrt the wages and fee required then I'm pretty sure the player wouldn't let one opening day defeat prevent him from joining a club that was going to pay him what he wanted and reached the play-off final the previous season. If there was a single game he'd pay attention to it would be the one where his team stuck 7 past us :wink:

I've no doubt you're right about Norwich needing to cash in on someone but sadly with all the will in the world we don't have the luxury of spunking £12m plus wages on a player that Newcastle do.

On a wider point, it does appear the new owners are concentrating more on improving the infrastructure as the first priority rather than being pro-active in this transfer window. Preferring to see what unfolds. I don't really have an issue with that and in fairness they did provide plenty of funds in January (not that it was universally successful in terms how a lot of the personnel contributed) towards the play-off cause so I'm confident that if deemed necessary they will provide funds if Stam really needs it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2017 17:05

It seems to me the new owners have been more willing than any others in our past to splash the cash, but have a limit for what they'll spend on a certain level of quality and unfortunately fees have gone absolutely bonkers this summer.

I know McCormack went for £11m a few years ago and there's been the odd other case, but mostly those have been the exception.

I suppose we reap what we sow for convincing clubs to fork out £4m on the likes of a donkey like Blackman.

725 posts