RUMOUR - Lewis baker

259 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Lewis baker

by Sutekh » 10 Jul 2017 08:12

I've never heard of a player being loaned for a period longer than a season, is that actually possible? Could it be a permanent deal instead?

Sounds like a class signing and Lewis is apparently 22 so would be of an age where you'd hope he'd be troubling first team squads if he was going to make it professionally.

And given he's actually a couple of months older than John Swift my expectation for him - should this rumour actually happen - would be to be challenge for the first team at Reading, not be loaned out again.

Reminds me of Harper/Sidwell renewing their Arsenal youth partnership at Reading....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jul 2017 09:02

Sutekh I've never heard of a player being loaned for a period longer than a season, is that actually possible?

Tevez

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2017 09:15

Sutekh I've never heard of a player being loaned for a period longer than a season, is that actually possible? Could it be a permanent deal instead?

Sounds like a class signing and Lewis is apparently 22 so would be of an age where you'd hope he'd be troubling first team squads if he was going to make it professionally.

And given he's actually a couple of months older than John Swift my expectation for him - should this rumour actually happen - would be to be challenge for the first team at Reading, not be loaned out again.

Reminds me of Harper/Sidwell renewing their Arsenal youth partnership at Reading....

Baker would be one of the best players in the championship.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2017 09:18

genome
Sutekh I've never heard of a player being loaned for a period longer than a season, is that actually possible?

Tevez

I think Andreas Christensen is the most recent famous example of a 2 year loan deal.
For some reason I though Geronimo Rulli was also on a 2 year loan deal but reading it now he has such a confusing transfer history.
Signed on loan in July 2014, extended the loan in July 2015, bought by man city in July 2016 and loaned immediately back then bought permanently in January 2017. 4 million for, what appears to be, a quality keeper.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Jul 2017 10:03

CountryRoyal
Sutekh I've never heard of a player being loaned for a period longer than a season, is that actually possible? Could it be a permanent deal instead?

Baker would be one of the best players in the championship.

Cracking player. Two footed. Takes penalties and free kicks with either foot.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jul 2017 13:18

Chelsea journalist:

@NizaarKinsella
Lewis Baker and Andreas Christensen are due to join the first team group for training today. Baker will be loaned out, Christensen tbc #CFC

@NizaarKinsella
He (Baker) wants a two year loan spell

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2017 13:29

its a weird one that - in two years he will be 24. Thats almost half way through his career, all spent on loan.

Still think he'll end up in the prem somewhere. West Brom mentioned

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jul 2017 18:50

In 2 years he'll be 24 and can walk on a Bosman.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2017 21:15

genome Chelsea journalist:

@NizaarKinsella
Lewis Baker and Andreas Christensen are due to join the first team group for training today. Baker will be loaned out, Christensen tbc #CFC

@NizaarKinsella

Probably (quite rightly) thinks he needs a protracted period of time with the same group of players, preferably with the same manager to improve or impress.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Jul 2017 23:24

NewCorkSeth
genome Chelsea journalist:

@NizaarKinsella

@NizaarKinsella

Probably (quite rightly) thinks he needs a protracted period of time with the same group of players, preferably with the same manager to improve or impress.

Probably he also thinks he'd look good in hoops ...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jul 2017 11:06

As much as I'd welcome him, I think Baker could probably get a move to another Premiership side. Burnley, for example, a la Chalobah

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jul 2017 11:33

Sure as hell it will alert other clubs if they hear he`s available. I notice big interest in Darlow too once the word got out.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Jul 2017 13:16

genome

Tevez

James Rodriguez has just been loaned to Bayern for two seasons.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Jul 2017 13:47

windermereROYAL Sure as hell it will alert other clubs if they hear he`s available. I notice big interest in Darlow too once the word got out.

See I'm just not convinced how much I buy this whole "once word got out" kind of stuff, no disrespect to yourself at all WR.

I just feel that clubs recruitment and scouting department are very well aware of the positions and potential availability of different players throughout other teams without needing a second rate newspaper to alert them of a possibility.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Jul 2017 12:21

Hoping to get first refusal on Baker now Gourlay is here.

I think Chelsea will keep him during pre season to see how he settles with the first team.

Wouldn't surprise me if their backroom bring someone else in for mega bucks and look to loan Baker come August.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Aug 2017 12:59

Swift in today's press conference:

"If we get Lewis Baker in he's a very technical player and that's what our midfield needs."

BerksRzz

by BerksRzz » 02 Aug 2017 13:06

Someone else posted this;

Had an agreement in place since 9th July. Conte just wanted to assess him during preseason.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2017 13:29

Obviously something there. Would make sense Ina number of ways for Chelsea - close to home etc

Suspect it may depend if they get another couple of 40million midfielders in during the next couple of weeks

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 02 Aug 2017 13:43

No Fixed Abode
genome

Tevez

James Rodriguez has just been loaned to Bayern for two seasons.

Details on Baker's possible 2 year loan http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/chelsea-to-offer-baker-new-deal-ahead-of-two-year-loan-stint/1c2tadtgr5ldj1fg4qwnyzhm1e

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Aug 2017 13:46

genome Swift in today's press conference:

"If we get Lewis Baker in he's a very technical player and that's what our midfield needs."

Jaap Stam

259 posts