Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Lewis baker

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2017 08:04

Baker isn't going to happen. End of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2017 12:47

I'm very undecided on Swift, he's obviously got quality but he seemed very hit and miss last season despite good stats. I see him and Kelly as having quite different roles and not being in competition. Although given Kelly's Academy origins and goals against Gillingham that may be unfair.

I think Swift needs clear competition. I'm not sure if Kelly or Clement or Quinn are the players to offer it. I also trust Stam, and think there'll be enough opportunities for Swift and Kelly to get game time, if not 30-40 start, that it won't really harm their development.

They'll have to work harder to play, but are less likely to suffer from burnout.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 11 Aug 2017 14:52

Swift..lazy player..went missing for best part of last season latter end..surprised he got rewarded with the new 5 year contract tbh..think Kelly warranted the 5 year deal more than Swift..

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Aug 2017 16:02

DOYLERSAROYALER Swift..lazy player..went missing for best part of last season latter end..surprised he got rewarded with the new 5 year contract tbh..think Kelly warranted the 5 year deal more than Swift..

He was great before his injury but never seemed to fully get back up to speed, I find it incredibly harsh to suggest he's lazy.

As for this thread, Baker just signed on loan with Boro.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2017 18:18

Interestingly just the season long loan, not the 2 year that was being reported.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Aug 2017 07:35

CountryRoyal

Interestingly just the season long loan, not the 2 year that was being reported.

For his benefit it's a good move, no point signing for 2 years when he could do well and improve on clubs next season

Gutted we didn't go in for him!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Aug 2017 07:53

We clearly did go in for him but for whatever reason he (and Chelsea) chose for him to go to Boro. My guess is to do with the substantial loan fee and considering what happened with Vydra I think is a case of once bitten twice shy - especially considering that he's not even tested at this particular level.

It's a shame as I was really excited at the prospect and he excelled in Holland but who knows he might turn out to be shit.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Aug 2017 08:26

CountryRoyal We clearly did go in for him but for whatever reason he (and Chelsea) chose for him to go to Boro. My guess is to do with the substantial loan fee and considering what happened with Vydra I think is a case of once bitten twice shy - especially considering that he's not even tested at this particular level.

It's a shame as I was really excited at the prospect and he excelled in Holland but who knows he might turn out to be shit.

I wondered if it had anything to do with us rebuffing their interest in our u16 (and England u16) captain.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 14 Aug 2017 08:28

Looks like a paedo successfully hooking up with his internet victim

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2017 08:43

CountryRoyal We clearly did go in for him but for whatever reason he (and Chelsea) chose for him to go to Boro. My guess is to do with the substantial loan fee and considering what happened with Vydra I think is a case of once bitten twice shy - especially considering that he's not even tested at this particular level.

yes, its a shame as I think he will be good for Boro. Also it would have been good for him to come here - nice and close to home, would have been the 'main man' in midfield, whereas Boro look that strong, not too sure what it will prove to anyone if he helps them go up

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2017 16:32

just noticed this on another website on an article about Chelsea loanees. Not sure if suggests a dodged bullet or just a poor move on Baker's behalf:

Lewis Baker – Middlesbrough
Has not appeared in the Championship since an 11-minute cameo in September and has failed to make Garry Monk’s matchday squad for the last four fixtures. It’s not going well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2017 16:49

Hound just noticed this on another website on an article about Chelsea loanees. Not sure if suggests a dodged bullet or just a poor move on Baker's behalf:

Has not appeared in the Championship since an 11-minute cameo in September and has failed to make Garry Monk’s matchday squad for the last four fixtures. It’s not going well.

And hasn't he got 2 years of that?

Should have come to Reading and failed to make Stam's matchday squad at least it's not far home.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Nov 2017 20:06

Sutekh
Hound just noticed this on another website on an article about Chelsea loanees. Not sure if suggests a dodged bullet or just a poor move on Baker's behalf:

Should have come to Reading and failed to make Stam's matchday squad at least it's not far home.

Only a one year loan in the end.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Nov 2017 21:33

maffff
Sutekh

Only a one year loan in the end.

And it will be cancelled in January, no point for anyone having that sort of loan deal.....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Nov 2017 21:36

Kind of shows how rubbish the Dutch league is after all - the top few teams aside maybe?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Nov 2017 06:43

That's not really a massive surprise in a country the size of East Anglia.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Nov 2017 08:26

Royalwaster Kind of shows how rubbish the Dutch league is after all - the top few teams aside maybe?

I’ve been to a few Den Haag games. Good fun, lively atmosphere but they wouldn’t be a force in division 2 in England yet manage to stick around the lower end of the top division in the Netherlands.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Nov 2017 08:56

I guess it can't be easy to settle as a 22 year old to be plucked from the posh surroundings of Chelsea and be dumped into Middlesbrough with no family or friends

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Nov 2017 09:07

He is 22 and has started 26 professional games in England. How is he able to even play football? I'd rather have a bog standard player like David Edwards who at least has experience of playing week in week out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2017 09:19

genome I guess it can't be easy to settle as a 22 year old to be plucked from the posh surroundings of Chelsea and be dumped into Middlesbrough with no family or friends

I think there is something in that. Said at the time that Reading would make sense being local. Boro is a very long way from home if things aren't going well

259 posts