RUMOUR - Rasmus Thelander

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Rasmus Thelander

by West Stand Man » 20 Jul 2017 16:37

urz13 Not to mention that despite our defence looking solid on paper, we still conceded 60+ goals last season. So I think we should welcome the opportunity to strengthen the defence.

We shipped 60+ goals and our keeper made more saves than any other keeper in this division. That certainly might suggest that we need to tighten up a bit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2017 17:23

Quite a lot of last season we had a midfielder at centreback a not quite cente back not quite left back at left back, a dodgy right back and an inconsistent midfield offering mixed quality protection.

I don't think CB is the key to reducing our goals conceded.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jul 2017 17:28

West Stand Man
urz13 Not to mention that despite our defence looking solid on paper, we still conceded 60+ goals last season. So I think we should welcome the opportunity to strengthen the defence.

We shipped 60+ goals and our keeper made more saves than any other keeper in this division. That certainly might suggest that we need to tighten up a bit.

That would suggest we need to sort midfield out.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jul 2017 17:53

If he adds strength in depth and it's a good deal then why not.

For all out strength at CB, Cooper may still be on the move and I'm not really sure how much more McShane has to give. If we're looking to play 3 centre backs, we're suddenly looking a bit thin.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 24 Jul 2017 12:31

Hound

Not dismissing either of your posts and both have valid points

On the 60+ goals - yes we did have issues - but towards the end of the season we were pretty much rock solid - as proved against Fulham and Huddersfield where we conceded one goal in almost 3.5 games

If we play 3-5-2, and lose Cooper, I think then yes, we could probably have another CB - though you are still telling 2 of McShane, Ilori, Moore, Blackett or this chap they are not playing each week. They are too good to be on the bench

If we play 4-3-3, we are likely not playing 3 of those each week

Maybe this shows that Stam does see Blackett more as a LB which would be a mistake imo.

That's true - but in the 352 scenario in which we lose Cooper (appears to be most likely come the start of the season) I think we look a bit thin without another CB.

Because the crucial thing is, although we'd have 5 CB's for 3 slots the chance of them all staying fit all season is low. Look at McShane and Ilori last season - both had injuries that kept them out for a long time (and McShane's could be a recurring one). You need cover for those scenarios. Whilst Blackett as 4th choice CB provides such cover, if Obita was injured/suspended he'd be playing LB leaving us no cover at CB apart from out of position players.

The way I see it is that if this guy is better than Moore/McShane/Ilori then he starts and we improve our defence, which is a good thing (no matter how much we all rate the aforementioned). If he's not better than them then he's good cover to have as a dedicated CB, as opposed to Blackett or Gunter/VDB/Evans. He's not played that many games in his career and he's not played at this level before so I doubt he'd be too annoyed about mainly being on the bench.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 Aug 2017 13:57

Looks like we cooled interest in recent weeks. His break from Panathanaikos is still not complete.

FC Zurich seem confident that a deal has been struck for him to go there.

Appears we made an offer when we might have gotten promoted, we reduced our offer when we didn't go up and he was still interested.

He's had offers from Italy, France, Scandinavia and Switzerland - seems we backed off and media from Switzerland suggests that's where he'll end up next.