Stam and punts

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stam and punts

by paddy20 » 14 Aug 2017 10:17

maffff
paddy20 I still think all of Stams signings this year are punts. Each signing has come off the back of less than impressive performances. I'm not saying thats wrong as they have all been relatively cheap and if just a couple come off its probably worth it.
If this is a policy however we can see from Saturday the lack of real investment on a striker will cost us dearly.

All slightly higher level/proven in some way punts compared to previous years though, hence the fees touted.

If we were talking top end Championship players, we couldn't compete financially. Best we can do given the situation.

What you say makes sense but to have team without a striker is the road to disaster. Spending a bit more now would safeguard our situation and protect the high investments in all our infrastructure. I don't think Mendes is ready as he still needs to improve his first touch and become sharper. If it takes £10m to get D'Olivera we should spend it before Wolves move in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2017 10:23

paddy20
maffff
paddy20 I still think all of Stams signings this year are punts. Each signing has come off the back of less than impressive performances. I'm not saying thats wrong as they have all been relatively cheap and if just a couple come off its probably worth it.
If this is a policy however we can see from Saturday the lack of real investment on a striker will cost us dearly.

All slightly higher level/proven in some way punts compared to previous years though, hence the fees touted.

If we were talking top end Championship players, we couldn't compete financially. Best we can do given the situation.

What you say makes sense but to have team without a striker is the road to disaster. Spending a bit more now would safeguard our situation and protect the high investments in all our infrastructure. I don't think Mendes is ready as he still needs to improve his first touch and become sharper. If it takes £10m to get D'Olivera we should spend it before Wolves move in.

We are clearly trying to get a striker in but we are also obviously looking at a relatively small pool of strikers who will fit our style and know the Championship. I cannot see that we won't sign a striker before the end of the month - possibly 2.

Whether that is Olivera, Long or A.N.Other remains to be seen.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Aug 2017 11:04

paddy20
maffff

I wasn't on about the main striker - I meant with the likes of Mannone (82 games experience in the Prem, including one very good year at Sunderland), Bacuna (85 games experience in the Prem over 3 seasons - one good year in them and two difficult ones in a team struggling) and Bodvarsson (done well elsewhere, a proven international - even if he doesn't score a lot, had a very difficult season in a struggling team but now has some experience in our league). All good ages.

It's clear we need something, the club knows it, the fans know it. Expect it'll be a little different to our usual recruitment technique with this.

Be that a more expensive signing with British experience - Oliveira, Wells.
or a loan - Long (unlikely)
Then slightly less favourable but probably solid enough - a foreign import proven in another league - back for Juric or Weghorst, or someone like Uth/Armenteros.

My concern would be if we ended up going for a complete unproven punt (Bogle) or someone that probably wouldn't suit us, has flattered to deceive, despite being proven in the past would be moved on for odd reasons (McCormack/Rhodes), or seems to be living a career on a very short purple patch (a la Blackman) - Bamford, Wilson.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 14 Aug 2017 11:17

Look at all the other clubs and see how difficult they are finding this transfer window at this time! In our league we know of Birmingham, Derby, Wolves, Sunderland and us all making it known they are on the look out for strikers at this time. The pool of players available is not massive. This transfer window will go down to the final few days as prem clubs decide who to include in their 25 man squad, then teams will look to take gambles/punts whatever you want to call it. Without a doubt I'm sure our shortlist of strikers will include 10-15 strikers and if the right one becomes available for the right price they will become our number one target

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Aug 2017 08:40

mikey0406 Look at all the other clubs and see how difficult they are finding this transfer window at this time! In our league we know of Birmingham, Derby, Wolves, Sunderland and us all making it known they are on the look out for strikers at this time. The pool of players available is not massive. This transfer window will go down to the final few days as prem clubs decide who to include in their 25 man squad, then teams will look to take gambles/punts whatever you want to call it. Without a doubt I'm sure our shortlist of strikers will include 10-15 strikers and if the right one becomes available for the right price they will become our number one target

Agreed a lot of clubs are looking for strikers but I wonder how many of them don't have one at all?
Kermogant will be out for a while and at his age there is no guarantee he will come back anything like last year. Mendes is not ready - at best a Div 1 player at the moment. The only other forward, also injured, scored 2 goals last season. I can't remember when we have ever been in such a situation? All the work in building up a good team, if theres no-one to put the ball in the back of the net will be wasted. Spend what the market dictates now as the only other choice is a battle to stay in the division