by ROWY » 31 Aug 2017 20:53

What is Kevin Doyle up to ?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How many will we sign?

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Aug 2017 20:53

Drew_3
Nameless Just as frustrating that some people just won't recognise we have THREE big centre forwards already .
What will the wingers aim for ?
The fing big Icelander, the massive black Frenchman or (when fit) the 20 goal Basque !
Of course we could have signed countless guaranteed 20 goal forwards, because everyone else has !

We aren't short of attacking players, we have lots more than we had last season.
I suspect had we signed Oliviera he would not have been good enough as he only scored a couple more than Edwards did from midfield....

The best of those three is injured, the other has a spotty goal scoring record at best and the the other is far from proven in this country or at this level. Other than that you're spot on! :roll:

Exactly, its amazing people keep churning this out. We have needed a striker for a long time and we have signed an abundance of wingers and center midfielders - we have at least 6 effing wingers. I don't care if they are " attacking options", they are not strikers which is what we needed originally and still need now. Worst case get a loan from a premiership team until January. If this window shuts without a striker its been a failure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2017 21:10

Think he sees Aluko and Barrow as CFs as well rather than just wingers. Plus Clement. Suspect we'll play false 9s quite often

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2017 21:11

oxf*rd it, its half 4. Im out.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 31 Aug 2017 21:17

Calm down everyone. A source at the club tells me we're about to announce Bodvarsson golden boot

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Aug 2017 21:22

Guy from Chronic reckons that's it now. Logging off in anticipation of toys being thrown out the pram

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2017 21:26

Drew_3
Nameless Just as frustrating that some people just won't recognise we have THREE big centre forwards already .
The fing big Icelander, the massive black Frenchman or (when fit) the 20 goal Basque !
Of course we could have signed countless guaranteed 20 goal forwards, because everyone else has !

We aren't short of attacking players, we have lots more than we had last season.
I suspect had we signed Oliviera he would not have been good enough as he only scored a couple more than Edwards did from midfield....

The best of those three is injured, the other has a spotty goal scoring record at best and the the other is far from proven in this country or at this level. Other than that you're spot on! :roll:

Of course one is injured.
Bodvarsson looks a very good fit for the way we play, and judging him on his time at Wolves is pointless.
Mended on his day is very effective , he just needs more days.

All that is beside the point. The comments simply ignore the fact that we have 3 central strikers. It's stupid to suggest we have no one to play up front.
And as we have seen we look very effective playing different formations. Barrow, Popa, Aluko all offer variation and the thing people said we were missing last season - pace.
In the squad we now have a midfield that can provide goals, it's much harder to defend against a team with 4or 5 players who can score 10-12 goals than one where everything goes through one hitman.

Would still like us to get Oliviera, but some posters seem blind to what we already have !

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 31 Aug 2017 21:32

Nameless
Drew_3

Of course one is injured.
Bodvarsson looks a very good fit for the way we play, and judging him on his time at Wolves is pointless.
Mended on his day is very effective , he just needs more days.

All that is beside the point. The comments simply ignore the fact that we have 3 central strikers. It's stupid to suggest we have no one to play up front.
And as we have seen we look very effective playing different formations. Barrow, Popa, Aluko all offer variation and the thing people said we were missing last season - pace.
In the squad we now have a midfield that can provide goals, it's much harder to defend against a team with 4or 5 players who can score 10-12 goals than one where everything goes through one hitman.

Would still like us to get Oliviera, but some posters seem blind to what we already have !

Genuine question and not picking a fight but why is it pointless judging Bodvarsson on his time at Wolves?

Surely all transfers are immediately judged on how they have previously performed and it's these performances which would have led to us buying him?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Aug 2017 21:33

@BTevreden
Done ✅! #readingfc fantastic window together with Ron Gourlay.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Aug 2017 21:40

Much as we would all have liked another target man the prices quoted for the various targets are stupid amounts of money. I think this is because none of Brighton, Norwich or Preston want to sell the players mooted. And so unless we offer something stupid like 15M we won't get them. And I cannot see the point of bringing in an unproven player at this level who we have never heard of. Better to scout out an up and coming striker for January (if we need one then) in my opinion.

We have Kermy (when fit), Bod and Mendes and the likes of Clement and Aluko can do a job in a front three and so on balance we have enough. Don't forget Kermy only scored 5 goals in the first half of last season and 13 second half. Whereas McCleary scored 8 first half season and only 1 in the second half. Overall we scored 33 goals in the first half and 35 second half season last time. Players tend to step up when we need them too and I honestly think we will score more than 33 before the half season this time even without another striker.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 31 Aug 2017 21:41

genome @BTevreden
Done ✅! #readingfc fantastic window together with Ron Gourlay.

Either this is absolute panic on my part or I am clutching at straws. Is it possible his part is all done but a deal is still to be completed and will be finished off by Gourlay?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 31 Aug 2017 21:41

There is no more signings, it's done for this window

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2017 21:45

genome Guy from Chronic reckons that's it now. Logging off in anticipation of toys being thrown out the pram

Can I be first?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Aug 2017 21:46

That belmont Lord CKS on Twitter is claiming we'll struggle to make the top 10 with our squad because we haven't signed a striker.

We finished 3rd last season with one decent striker and now we have more. Give me strength, some people are so shortsighted it hurts

But anyway, yeah, I'm going to bed :lol:
Last edited by genome on 31 Aug 2017 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2017 21:46

I think on balance I'd rather have stuck with what we have than paying really stupid money for the likes of Hugill

Mendes needs to step up. Yano needs to get fit asap, but think Bod, McCleary, Barrow etc will see us through to Jan ok

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2017 22:10

Hound
Mendes needs to step up. Yano needs to get fit asap, but think Bod, McCleary, Barrow etc will see us through to Jan ok

Lolz. :roll:

Clutching at straws m8

We dont have enough goals. End of

FCReading1988

by FCReading1988 » 31 Aug 2017 22:37

Just heard on Sky Sports News that Watford were trying to send some of their striking options out on loan (Okako, Sinclair, Success) but there were no takers - could one of these not done a job for us!?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2017 22:39

genome We finished 3rd last season with one decent striker and now we have more. Give me strength, some people are so shortsighted it hurts

That would be the polite version.

At a guess we've spent at least 3 times more in this window than the club could afford off it's own bat, and to the great credit of all involved, we've made some great signings at relatively cheap prices while those around us have spent fortunes on players who are no better if not worse.

The likes of Oliveira haven't come close to justifying 10 million price tags. Even half that price would have been over the odds and no amount of noise from our muppet factor will change that.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 31 Aug 2017 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 31 Aug 2017 22:41

So no one signed today. Still a striker short unless we go into the loan market later on. Will we live to regret that?