Ian Royal
13%

Total votes: 75
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How many will we sign?

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2017 11:38

Hound
Maneki Neko im officially bored of "cant buy a striker so buy a load of random midfielder" transfer windows

It would be so good to have an actual strike force for once. I miss it.

give it a month and we might have Yann, Jon Dadi, Barrow and Aluko (or McCleary) up front. Surely that qualifies?

3 of those are wingers, yann is crocked and getting quite old, Jon dadi has scored a nice header and looks decent, but is unproven.
not saying all of that wont work itself out in time, and I hope that it does, im just saying its a bit of a risk.

although theres always loans and January I suppose...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2017 11:40

Jon Dadi/Yann through the middle. Mendes on the bench. Its a pretty good front line

compared to us in the past, and most of our rivals right now, its laughable.imo

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Sep 2017 14:20

Maneki Neko
Jon Dadi/Yann through the middle. Mendes on the bench. Its a pretty good front line

compared to us in the past, and most of our rivals right now, its laughable.imo

Which rivals?

- Wolves have a striker they picked up on loan from the UAE - he didn't exactly pull up trees in Brazil (although did well in Portugal). Failed to sign anyone else on deadline day.
- Fulham have Fonte, unproven in this division. Failed to sign anyone else on deadline day.
- Hull have Hernandez, (out for 6 months), Grosicki, Bowen, Diomandé Campbell and Keane. Hernandez aside, it's a bit meh.
- Sunderland have Vaughan and Grabban. :lol:
- Leeds have Lasogga, Grot, Cibicki and Ekuban. Mostly unknown...
- Derby have Martin, Bent, Nugent, Vydra, Winnall, then Weimann, Russell and Lawrence if you want to add them in. Fair enough.
- Villa have Hogan, Kodjia, McCormack and Agbonlahor. Fair enough.
- Wednesday have Rhodes, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Joao, Matias and if you want to class him, Forestieri.
- Norwich have Oliveira and Jerome.

Looking through that, the teams with strikers tend to have issues elsewhere. Leeds look strong across the pitch, but a lot of unknown quantities in the squad.

As strikers we may only have Kermorgant, Bodvarsson, Mendes and Smith (I won't add loader). But in that same vein you could add Aluko, Barrow, Clement, McCleary, Popa and Beerens. Clement can play as a false nine, and others there can play off a striker.

I'd say we err on the better side of options across the league tbf. Kermorgant (if injury hasn't limited him) is one of the better strikers in the league. (when others like Rhodes and McCormack seemingly have issues..)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2017 14:36

Did Winnall move to Derby? Did I miss that one? Thought we might take a look at him

Thing is, I know Jon Dadi didn't have a great season, but he is a striker, with a good pedigree. The players we were looking at - Hugill, Hemed - I think they only scored 11/12 last year, and some of those were pens. Didn't McCleary score 8 before Christmas?

Nelson I'll give you, and would have been a cracking signing - but no one else mentioned really inspired me. IF we'd signed Hemed, could we say we have the striker we need? Not sure he would be likely to score any more than Aluko/Barrow/McCleary if they play CF

Yann was as good as any striker in the division after Christmas last year as well. If he comes back at 90% of last season's form he'll still be very good for us

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Sep 2017 14:40

Hound Did Winnall move to Derby? Did I miss that one? Thought we might take a look at him

Season long loan swap. Butterfield went the other way.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Sep 2017 14:42

Derby in signing a striker shocker.

I wonder if they finally realised Matej Vydra is the world's biggest fraud.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2017 15:25

you could add Aluko, Barrow, Clement, McCleary, Popa and Beerens

no you couldn't.

but fair enough on our rivals striking options being mostly shit too

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2017 15:33

Maneki Neko
you could add Aluko, Barrow, Clement, McCleary, Popa and Beerens

no you couldn't.

but fair enough on our rivals striking options being mostly shit too

I'm not quite sure why you are so determined to label a player a 'striker' or not

like I said elsewhere - McCleary scored almost as many as Hugill or Hemed last year. And he was on one leg for half the season. Aluko scored one less I think. What makes someone a striker or CF specifically?

We some real quality in attacking positions - that bunch mentioned above are all fine players. I'm sure they will score a decent amount.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 01 Sep 2017 15:43

im not.

could say proven quality goalscorer of any kind.all the other players mentioned are wingers and attacking midfielders and youre looking at realistically getting 5-10 goals from these kinds of player if they play enough, which they cant all do.

never mentioned hugill or hemed myself.

agree weve brought in good players, im happy with the window and squad in general and im happy with all our options apart from up front where we have kermorgant who is crocked and dadi who is unproven but will hopefully be amazing. and im sure we will be pushing for th eplayoffs again, regardless....but....add a proven goalscorer and id be looking at challenging for automatic instead.

plus:
EVEN if kermorgant was 29 and fully fit, and dadi was already proven to be brilliant id still want more than mendes and some kids as back up.
given that neither of those things is true I just think its a risk, and could dent our promotion hopes
don't think that is in any way radical.

even though we will mostly play 1 up front, id still like some options and some variety.

and I just think all this- "didn't want a striker anyway"-ing is a bit silly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2017 16:10

Fair enough - but a 'proven' goalscorer is not an easy find

As I've mentioned elsewhere I think there maybe was a couple of players we could have looked at - Vibe would be one - but I'm sure they were on the radar and not followed up for whatever reason

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Sep 2017 17:40

Hound Fair enough - but a 'proven' goalscorer is not an easy find

As I've mentioned elsewhere I think there maybe was a couple of players we could have looked at

But thats just not true, there are astronomical amounts of players worldwide. Why is everyone obsessed with UK based players? You know how many good players there are around Europe not at top clubs that would be happy to double their wages moving to a championship team but for a fraction of the cost. We would also be a stepping stone into the prem, its a no brainer for all concerned. Apparently our scouting network isn't focusing much attention outside the UK and Holland.

At this point I would rather we buy unknown foreign players than waste money on British players for treble the price.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Sep 2017 17:43

FiNeRaIn

As I've mentioned elsewhere I think there maybe was a couple of players we could have looked at

But thats just not true, there are astronomical amounts of players worldwide. Why is everyone obsessed with UK based players? You know how many good players there are around Europe not at top clubs that would be happy to double their wages moving to a championship team but for a fraction of the cost. We would also be a stepping stone into the prem, its a no brainer for all concerned. Apparently our scouting network isn't focusing much attention outside the UK and Holland.

At this point I would rather we buy unknown foreign players than waste money on British players for treble the price.

Isn't that what we've tried to do with Sa, and Rakels and Mendes? Sa didn't settle, Rakels simply wasn't good enough and jury is still out on Mendes.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Sep 2017 18:08

muirinho
FiNeRaIn

Isn't that what we've tried to do with Sa, and Rakels and Mendes? Sa didn't settle, Rakels simply wasn't good enough and jury is still out on Mendes.
add Meite to that list as well

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2017 19:44

Proven as in proven to be able to score plenty of goals in the championship

TBH foreign clubs see us coming nowadays and with the pound crumbling to bits, don't see that many bargains abroad either. I'd rather take a risk on a div1 or 2 striker like Watkins

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2017 19:58

Bodvarsson is currently averaging a goal every 2 games for us. That's better than Kitson.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Sep 2017 22:36

muirinho
FiNeRaIn

We paid almost nothing for those guys and two of those came from Polish teams. Meite is a winger( in response to the other guy who said that). We are going to have to spend a bit more than 300k on Random guys in the Polish league. 2/3 million for people in the more respected European leagues was what I had in mind.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2017 22:43

The problem is finding someone who fits. The Championship is a hard league to adapt to. It's one of the highest quality divisions in Europe, but because it's a second tier it's often not appreciated.

Dozens of good goalscorers from European leagues have been brought in and failed miserably. Any transfer is a risk and that risk grows if your player of choice hasn't lived in the country or played in the same league system.

I think we should have a bit of faith that the club have a decent idea what they're lookjng for, what its worth and generally what they're doing.