The one that worries me about January

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

The one that worries me about January

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2017 12:24

Is some PL club offering a serious wedge for Liam Moore. Thoughts?

El Diablo

Re: The one that worries me about January

by El Diablo » 19 Oct 2017 13:51

Would be no surprise. He's quality , and appears to be getting better.

We'd sell - for silly money - unless theres some ridiculously low £ release clause in his contract - a la AAH.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2017 15:11

yeah it may well happen. Been head and shoulders above everyone else in the side this year

Not much can do about it if so. Ilori, McShane and Blackett are all good CBs, if not on Moore's level. I think we could easily ask 10-12m, and then it'd be a case of getting a replacement.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Oct 2017 15:30

I've heard murmurs of this one being true actually, and that we're set to line up Chris Riggott as his replacement.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2017 09:17

John Smith I've heard murmurs of this one being true actually, and that we're set to line up Chris Riggott as his replacement.

Nice try. Almost.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 19:38

Hound I think we could easily ask 10-12m, and then it'd be a case of getting a replacement.

:shock: Serious?? If that were ever to be so the prospective buyer's hand would be bitten off!

The only reason McShane and Moore make so many good blocks is that they miss the crosses coming in first time!

£10 to £12 MILLION!?! Wooo yes please!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2017 09:55

That would be a good fee for him if realistic. I imagine Pulis is looking at him and saying "theres a man I can teach to batter the ball away"

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Oct 2017 23:59

No no no.

What this team needs is a proper defensive midfielder. Then the defence will be good.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Oct 2017 10:13

Reckon Popa will be off in January.

Wouldn't be shocked if Kelly left either.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Oct 2017 20:08

The one thing that DOES worry me about the January transfer window is that Stam will still be here p1ssing away whatever funds the Chinese make available on yet more wingers.

I reckon he has had more money to spend than any other RFC manager in history - and perhaps all the others put together if you include disposals as a credit, and we're just shy of the relegation places! (I feel a delve into the database is required here - and if my suspicions are correct, the arch Stam apologist Adie Williams at BBCRB will be getting both barrels I can tell you!)

I thought Tommy Burns was like a kid in a sweet shop. Stam is way worse.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2017 21:53

strap The one thing that DOES worry me about the January transfer window is that Stam will still be here p1ssing away whatever funds the Chinese make available on yet more wingers.

I reckon he has had more money to spend than any other RFC manager in history - and perhaps all the others put together if you include disposals as a credit, and we're just shy of the relegation places! (I feel a delve into the database is required here - and if my suspicions are correct, the arch Stam apologist Adie Williams at BBCRB will be getting both barrels I can tell you!)

I thought Tommy Burns was like a kid in a sweet shop. Stam is way worse.

I think you probably need to factor in the general transfer and wage inflation and the fact TB was mostly working at a lower level, so of course the values are going to be astronomically different.

Rodgers spent about £5m in one transfer window almost 10 years ago.
Clarke spunked £2.5m on 9 months of Vydra

Stam's spent a lot, and brought in a lot... but I can't think of many absolute stinkers. Too many who haven't made a big enough impact maybe... but that's partly because there are so many and we've had such woeful injury records.

Aluko does seem massively over-priced obviously.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 27 Oct 2017 16:39

A real shame for Clarke. At the time of doing it, there was no reason to believe that wouldn’t work, Vydra had been utterly awesome previously. If he’d worked out things could have been so different.

January will work, at this point an average leave 1/top League 2 striker will improve the team imeasureably. It’s almost a no-lose situation for Brian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2017 18:26

Royal Ginger A real shame for Clarke. At the time of doing it, there was no reason to believe that wouldn’t work, Vydra had been utterly awesome previously. If he’d worked out things could have been so different.

January will work, at this point an average leave 1/top League 2 striker will improve the team imeasureably. It’s almost a no-lose situation for Brian.

Clarke made the rod for his own back by starting Vydra out left rather than as a focal point and then utterly mismanaging his crisis of confidence.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Nov 2017 08:11

Stam has actually signed some very decent players ... it's just that he hasn't signed a decent striker (and instead wasted money on Aluko) that has really let him down. But Bacuna, Barrow, Moore, Mannone are all really very decent signings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2017 08:23

Royalwaster Stam has actually signed some very decent players ... it's just that he hasn't signed a decent striker (and instead wasted money on Aluko) that has really let him down. But Bacuna, Barrow, Moore, Mannone are all really very decent signings.

This is true, but harsh to blame him for lack of striker. He may well have far preferred to have brought in a Hemed/Hugill/Oliveira than Aluko, but Aluko was the deal that Gourlay/BT got over the line

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2017 17:25

I don't think Stam's signed a single stinker yet. Maybe Meite, Weiser or Mendes but they were all cheap punts. You can't plan for Harriott's injury. Beerens is much maligned but he was plenty decent enough last season.

There's certainly no Fae, Halford, Vydra, Pogrebnyak yet.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 07 Nov 2017 08:57

In my 22 years watching Reading I would say Liam Moore is up there if not the best CB we've actually ever had - he's just so consistent it's ridiculous and I think we all forget how young he is. I could understand a move to the premier league as he would have a chance moving on in to the England set up if he put in a similar level of performance.

However I would like to see him go to a top end premier league club rather than your Huddersfield's West Brom or West Hams

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 07 Nov 2017 10:13

If I am honest I don't think much will happen in January unless stupid offers come in for players then replacements will be found.

I think Swift, Moore and Kelly will receive offers but it depends on the Boards resolve. 1 may leave of those 3 but it is unlikely all 3 will.

The only signings would be a replacement if one of those was sold or if a viable long term replacement for Kermorgant became available. but big strong target men are few and far between hence why Kermit has just been given a new contract.

As a foot note Danny Ings wants out at Liverpool, I know its dream world but would make a lovely long term replacement for Kermit and definitely knows where the back of the net is.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Nov 2017 15:27

Theroyalbox In my 22 years watching Reading I would say Liam Moore is up there if not the best CB we've actually ever had - he's just so consistent it's ridiculous and I think we all forget how young he is. I could understand a move to the premier league as he would have a chance moving on in to the England set up if he put in a similar level of performance.

However I would like to see him go to a top end premier league club rather than your Huddersfield's West Brom or West Hams

Ingimarsson for me.

A pairing of Moore and Ingimarsson would be pretty formidable .

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 08 Nov 2017 10:14

The good thing about the business we did in the summer was not just add to the squad, we've got the young players on long term deals which means clubs will have to offer big money to lure them away

Obita, Moore, Swift and Kelly all signed new deals (off the tp of my head) which means the turnover of players shouldn't be that high